Return of the Thornwood Family

By Tempest09

Harry's title of Heir of the Potter family gets taken by by his brother because Harry is not the boy who live... More

Disclaimer
Prologue/Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
On Hiatus

Chapter 8

12.9K 302 110
By Tempest09

Hello Ladies and Germs! Ok, so I need to get some things out of the way. First off, Ambrose is not a Horcrux, I will explain immortality in this chapter. Next, again, Damien and Rose went to Hogwarts early to train because Dumbledore thinks that they are the twins-who-lived. Now that that is out of the way, we can get ON WITH THE SHOW! Do you know my other name? Echos, the song of a hundred flowers? WRONG SHOW! But a good one.

"So what do you wish to learn first?" Ambrose asked.

"I honestly have no idea what the majority of these things are." Harry said. "Very well then. I shall explain each one. Let's start with your natural abilities. Parselmouth. Let's start there shall we? Parselmouth, or Parseltongue is the language of snakes. You Hadrian, have the ability to speak and read snake. You probably have no idea how at this point, and if you meet a snake you will probably speak to it in Parsel, without even realizing it." Ambrose explained.

"This is concerning." Remus said.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"Europe doesn't take lightly to Parselmouths. It is seen as an ability of extremely dark wizards." Remus explained.

"What is this nonsense!" Ambrose exclaimed. Remus and Harry looked at Ambrose with a questioning look. "Parseltongue is a noble language, it may be rare in Europe, but it's origins are from India, and the Middle East." Ambrose explained.

"I did not know that." Remus said. "The history of Magic class at Hogwarts is extremely lacking, and has been for quite some time." Remus said.

"I can teach you Hadrian." Bod said as he walked in. "Being around for a few thousand years leads on to know a lot about history." He said as he pulled up a chair. "We will address history at a later point." Bod said.

"Alright with that out of the way, lets move on to shapeshifter. Shapeshifter's have the ability to change their form in two ways. The first is to become an animal, or in your case two it seems, and the second is to change their body structure and features to a certain degree." Ambrose explained.

"Ah, today we would call those two different things. Metamorphmagus, those who can change their bodily structure. And Animagus, the ability to change your form to that of your inner animal." Remus added in.

"Are you a Animagus?" Harry asked.

"No. Being a werewolf doesn't let me be an Animagus." Remus said.

"You will learn how to become your inner animals when you learn Occlumency, which we will go over later." Ambrose said.

"We will cover Beast mastery and portal opener, or portal keeper, together as they mix sometimes." He went on. "Being a Beast master is a very rare ability. It is mainly a battle oriented ability. How Beast master magic works, is that you can challenge an animal, magic or not, to a fight. There's a ritual involved, I'm not sure the full semantics, but we have a few books on it. Anyway, once you win, and the ritual is done, you have the ability to call upon their power for your own. I'm pretty sure this also ties into your shapeshifter abilities. Now, as you are also a Portal Keeper, you have the ability to bring your beasts into battle. That is just one of the three abilities of a Portal Keeper. One of the other abilities ties in to Beast mastery as well. This ability allows you to open a portal to another realm. This one has many species that have disappeared from our realm, I will explain later as you progress in your studies. The last ability allows you to send yourself, or your magic, from one place to another." Ambrose explained.

"Okay, let's move on to your affinities. Bio, Aero, and Umbra are three elements that you align with and have the easiest time manipulating, aka, mancy. Bio: life, Aero: Air, and Umbra: Shadows. We will tackle one at a time. Next, is wandless magic. It is as it says, you have already accessed your magic to some degree, without the use of a wand, and managed to control it. That is something you must work on yourself, as it is not something that is taught, only your control will increase. On to Illusions. This means that you can manipulate the five senses and create something that isn't there. If you develop this skill enough, your illusions can become real. That is where conjuration comes into play. Conjuration is a mixture of a field of magic called Transfiguration, and the art of Illusions. You must literally create the image from your mind, by using the air to shape your construct." Ambrose said. "This all sounds really complicated." Harry said.

"Of course they are, but that is where Occlumency comes into play, Occlumency is the ability to organize your mind, and defend it from it's sister magic, Legilimency. Legilimency is a rare art, but a deadly one, because if a person can read your mind, your going to be in a worse position than when you started. But it will help you with learning magic, because you will remember what you learned much faster, and be able to focus on your target much easier." Ambrose explained.

"I'm assuming that Occlumency is what I will be learning first?" Harry asked.

"Of course. Once you can organize, and defend your mind, you will have a much easier time in learning everything else." Ambrose said.

"Well, we might as well begin. Shall we?" Harry asked.

6 months into the training trip.

"Alright Harry, it seems that your mind is adequately defended, and you have successfully organized your mind. From here on out, your studies will be harder, but your reward will be all that much more savory." Ambrose said.

"What's next?" Harry asked.

"Let us start with Biomancy. Or the manipulation of Life. This is something that almost every Thornwood has been able to manipulate. It's where we got our name. Now, every element has it's own personality. Since you will be learning three, I will tell you them, from what we have gathered over time. Now, life has two branches two it. Plants, and animals. I forbid your from tampering with most animals." Ambrose said seriously.

"Why?" Harry asked.

"How to put this? Okay, so plants are simpler, and much easier to manipulate, and have them come out correctly. Manipulating animals can reach a very thin line between creating life, and reanimating life, or necromancy. Necromancy is very delicate subject that can kill you at any moment. I will teach you a few things about creating animals, but after that, I don't want you to experiment without asking, or having a master with you." Ambrose clarified.

"Yes Grandpa, this sounds very delicate, I don't think I want to try animal manipulation anytime soon." Harry said. Ambrose smiled.

"Alright. Now Life, as I said, has a strange personality. It has a calm, patient side, while also having a curious and impatient side. I will teach you how to befriend it, as that is how you control any element. You must befriend every element that you try to master." Ambrose explained.

"And what about Shadow and Air?" Harry asked.

"Again you would be good as either a Ravenclaw or Slytherin. Anyway, Air. Air has a very strange personality as well. Think of it best as being slow to anger, but once you upset it, there will be hell to pay. As for Shadow, it's personality, from what our family has learned, Shadow's personality is mainly... lonely." Ambrose said, confusion Harry.

"Lonely? How come?" Harry asked.

"Think of it as the bridge between two different islands. Light, and Darkness. Many people and creatures reside in either Light or Darkness, but not many reside on the bridge. This means that Shadow is lonely, and if we can guess, it is also slow to trust, as it is detested along with Darkness by Light, and dismissed by Darkness." Ambrose explained.

"Then I will do all I can to gain it's trust." Harry said.

1 year into the trip.

"Alright Harry, I believe that you are at a point where you can incorporate weapons into your style." Bod said, pulling out a scroll.

"What's that?" Harry asked.

"This is what the ancient Asian cultures refer to as a sealing scroll." Bod explained.

"Sealing... scroll? Can you explain more please?" Harry asked.

"This would be better explained during your history classes, but I guess I can say a few things." Bod said. "Seals, are a lot like runes, but also, different at the same time. Seals can be drawn into paper, or chiseled into metal and stone. Runes are the same, but here is where they differ. Seals can be powered by either the ambient energy in the area, based on the seal, or be powered by our own magic. Runes, are only powered by ambient magic in the area, with very few that are powered directly by one's own magic. Another difference is that seals, as the name suggests, can be used to seal away things, depending on the persons ability. In the time of the ancients, they could even seal away powerful demons into people, and they could access the demons magic. Of course, the Asian culture called magic, Chakra, so the translation is a bit different." Bod explained.

"So this sealing scroll holds things then?" Harry asked.

"Correct. In this scroll, contains all the weapons that I have collected over the years. I want you to choose the ones that feel right to you." Bod said as he unraveled the scroll. "Watch closely at how I unseal everything." Bod said as he placed a hand over the seals on the scroll. Soon a puff of smoke appeared over his hands. He then pulled out a sword. "Did you get that?" Bod asked.

"I think I have a basic understanding. You focused your magic into your hands, and when the magic came in contact with the scroll, the seals activated, unsealing the sword. Am I right?" Harry asked.

"Very good. That is in fact, a very good explanation of what I did. If you want, I can teach you about seals in your spare time." Bod suggested.

"It sounds interesting. And I want to learn about runes, so maybe I can compare them once I start learning." Harry suggested.

"Alright, we shall start in a few days. But first, I want you to choose your weapons. And don't be afraid to try them using different ways to hold them." Bod said as he continued to unseal the weapons. After he was done, there was roughly fifty different weapons surrounding them. Harry looked in awe as he tried to decide where to start. Eventually he started with a short sword, but it did not suit him. He eventually settled on two different weapons. A dagger, with a reverse grip, and a katana. "Hm, interesting. This will surely surprise anyone that comes up against you." Bod said with a smile. "Well, lets start training."

1 year, 2 months into the trip.

"Awe man, I'm really glad you have a hot spring here Bod. My back was killing me after training today." Harry said as he relaxed into the bath.

"Yes, it does these old bones good to relax in this water every once and a while." Bod said aloud. Suddenly a gray shape moved from the rocks above them. "Hm?" Bod said as he noticed this.

"What is it Bod?" Harry asked.

"It seems we have an uninvited guest with us." Bod said. The guest slowly moved closer as they relaxed.

"Any idea of who?" Harry asked.

"Not a who, but a what." Bod said. He wasn't quite sure, but he had a suspicion about the shadow. After about a half hour of sitting in the springs, the shadow pounced on Harry, whose back was to it.

"Ah!" Harry yelled as the shadow led him to putting his face right into the water.

"Huh-huh-huh-huh-huh." Bod chuckled.

"What was that?" Harry asked as he rubbed his eyes.

"Meow." Came a feline figure.

Harry turned around, and saw what appeared to be a snow leopard cub. "It seems you have made a new friend Hadrian." Bod said, containing his laughter.

"What are you doing here all alone little cub?" Harry asked. The cub just meowed again, and jumped on Harry's head. "Okay, so this is a thing now." Harry said with a laugh. The leopard cub started to purr and rub her face on his head.

"Well, she certainly likes you." Bod said.

"How do you know it's a she?" Harry asked.

"I can feel her magic. It tells me what she is, and what gender she is." Bod said.

"Isn't she a snow leopard?" Harry asked.

"At first glance, yes. But in reality she is the magical version of the snow leopard." Bod explained.

"So, what is she?" Harry asked again.

"They are called ice leopards. They have a certain control over snow and ice, much like you do with life, air, and shadow." Bod explained. "Something seems off about her though." Bod said as he stroked his beard.

"Really?" Harry asked.

"Yeah." Bod said, before growing silent for a moment. He then snapped his fingers and said, "Aha." Harry looked at him curiously. "I think she's been abandoned." Bod said.

"What? Why would that be the case?" Harry asked.

"Look at her. She's smaller than most snow or ice leopards, and it seems like she is a bit malnourished." Bod said. Harry pulled her off his head and gave her a good look. To his dismay, the leopard cub did seem to be kinda small, and underweight.

"Why would her mother leave her?" Harry asked.

"Animals, have an instinct to get rid of the runt of the litter if they don't cut it with the rest of the litter." Bod explained. Harry thought of his old family, and how he was different from his siblings. "Humans are different Hadrian, we have evolved past that, and only give up our children if we cannot afford to keep them." Bod said, calming Harry's nerves.

"Well, why don't we take her in?" Harry asked.

"We, meaning you, could, if she were to become your familiar." Bod said.

"I'll do it. Besides, she already seems to like me." Harry said with a smile as the cub rubbed her face on his.

1 year, 6 months into the trip.

"Bod, can you explain a few things to me?" Harry asked.

"As long as they apply to History right now, anything else will be dealt with after we are done." Bod said.

"I think it is." Harry said.

"Alright, what do you wish to know?" Bod asked.

"What is an immortal, and how does one become one?" Harry asked. "I was wondering when you would ask me this question. Hm, where to start... I guess by explaining the three biggies." Bod said to himself. "Okay, so there are three immortal, or near immortal beings that are usually classified as "Immortal". Immortals, Elders, and High Elementals." Bod explained. "All three of them are close to each other, but still different."

"An Immortal, is usually someone who cannot die because of old age. We continue to age to a certain point, but time is not going to kill us, unless we want to leave this realm." Bod explained.

"Can you explain realms after this?" Harry butt in.

"Yes, now quiet you wanted to know this." Bod said. "Elders, are sentient beings who have prolonged life spans, some even older than I am. They are both very wise, and very dangerous, be careful should you meet one. Finally, High Elementals, are Elementals who have expanded their power so much that they can cause natural disasters if they are mad, and because of the energy they have, have prolonged their lives." Bod explained.

"Now, there are a few genuine ways to become one of these three. There are also a few bastardized ways to do so. Now the main ways one gets one of these status's are either by training yourself to a point where your magic simply doesn't allow you to die by age, because it continues to rejuvenate you, or, because of a ritual that is done today by many non-magical people. This ritual, is worship. If a person is worshiped, by enough people, for a long enough time, and they preform a certain ritual on themselves, they continuously gain power from these prayers. Now there are a few rare cases, like me, who were given the job of watching the world by magic. Those are extremely rare, and very few of us exist." Bod explained.

"As for the bastardized versions, they usually require very evil acts to be used. There are two main ones. Either dabble so far into necromancy that you die, and comeback to life, and retain your magic, or you create what is known as a horcrux. A horcrux is a vile creation, that requires the killing of innocent life to split the soul and bind it to an object." Bod explained. Harry paled. "What?" Bod asked.

"Did, Grandpa do that to stay alive?" Harry asked.

"No. He did something very different. He used a ritual that the goblins made to bind his soul for a certain number of years, until either he completes his task, or the time runs out." Bod explained. Harry let out a sigh of relief.

"Now as for the realms." Bod started. "There are four in total. But you must only try to access two. The one we currently exist in. And the Realm of the Ancients as they call it." Bod explained. "The other two are the Realm of the Primordial's, and the Realm of the Dead. You must not go there unless summoned lest you face dire consequences." Bod said seriously. Harry nodded in understanding. "Now the Realm of the Ancients, is much like ours was in the past. It is where three different human civilizations have gone too, along with many magical creatures. These civilizations are Avalon, along with Camelot, Atlantis, and Shangri-La. All of them moved from our realm to the other, because they realized that the non-magical people would start to hate and destroy most things with magic. This caused many creatures to migrate there as well. The gap in the magic that was created with all of these places and creatures leaving created the Bermuda Triangle." Bod explained.

4 hours before the trip is over.

"Hadrian, there is nothing left for me to teach you on the path that you have created for yourself. It is up to you now to continue your training, as it is never over, even for myself." Bod explained.

"Thank you for teaching me everything Bod. It has been a great honor to learn from you." Harry said with a bow. "Go teach those Brits a thing or two about how real magic is supposed to be." Bod said as he pulled out a long box. "This is for you."

Harry reached out and took the box before gasping as he opened it. Inside was a masterfully crafted katana made from obsidian and jade. "I figured with all of the Thornwood family heirlooms being sold long ago, maybe it was time to start with some new ones." Bod said with a smile. Harry carefully placed the box on the ground before he hugged Bod.

"Thank you, this is a wonderful present." Harry said.

"Now, I expect to hear from you every now and then. And bring some more children next time you visit. These mountains are to quiet. Oh and tell Sidir to treat you well, or else he will be hearing from me." Bod said.

"You know Sidir?" Harry asked.

"We Immortals tend to keep an eye on each other." Bod said before he disappeared into his room.

3 hours, and 45 minutes later.

"Think you can make a portal for all of us Harry?" Remus asked.

"Hm, if Selena rides on my head, or in my jacket then yeah." Harry said, looking at his familiar. The leopard cub had grown a bit in the eight months since she met Harry. She also was a lot healthier, as she had been given food to eat when she couldn't catch any herself.

"Alright, as long as you don't over stress yourself." Remus said happily.

"Everyone have everything?" Bod asked as he exited his home.

"I believe so." Ambrose stated.

"Good, I don't want to have to send anything long distance." Bod said with a smile. "I will miss you all. It has been fun. Oh, and Ambrose, have yourself a portrait made, your starting to look a bit thin." Bod said as sent Ambrose an underlying message.

"I'll see to it that he does." Remus said.

"I have high hopes for you Hadrian Thornwood." Bod said.

"Wait, why have you never called me Harry?" Harry asked. "Stupid child, all those etiquette lessons and you couldn't remember that you never gave me permission to call you that." Bod said with a laugh. Harry face palmed. "Alright, you four need to leave, else, you'll miss your Portkey." Bod said.

"Goodbye Bod." Everyone said as Harry opened a portal to the outskirts of Dengfeng.

"Bye everyone. Don't forget to visit sometime." Bod said before they disappeared into the portal. "High hopes indeed." Bod said before going to make some banana and onion juice.

"Excuse me Tom, but I need a room with two beds for about a week." Remus said as they walked up to the bar keep.

"Well now, Remus Lupin. I haven't seen you in almost two years now. A week you said?" Tom asked as he grabbed a key.

"Yes, our home should be done by then, a little over two years since they started to build it." Remus said before grabbing the keys.

"Is there anything else you need?" Tom asked. "

Yes, could you send up two dinners?" Remus asked.

"Sure thing."

"Alright Harry, I think tomorrow you should go see Sidir, and take his test to see if you will become his apprentice." Remus said as the got to the room.

"Yeah, sounds like a plan. You know, it's kinda weird not having Bod here." Harry said.

"Yeah, but we can still visit him over the summer." Remus said with a smile.

"True. Hey Moony, where is the manor being built? I don't ever remember you telling me it's location." Harry said.

"I didn't? I'm sorry, it must have slipped my mind. It's about a half hour from a small town called Ballantrae." Remus said.

"I think I remember where that is." Harry said, trying to remember. "It's on the west coast, and not too far away from Glasgow." Remus said.

"Oh yeah." Harry said before yawning.

"We must still be accustom to Tibet's time, even with the potion we took. Let's eat and get some rest." Remus said. "Yeah, I could go for some sleep."

The next day.

"So, I see you have returned." Sidir said.

"Yes, I'm ready for your test." Harry said confidently.

"Very well then. I will give you three questions, if you cannot answer them, you will leave my establishment. Is that understood?" Sidir asked.

"Agreed." Harry said.

"Alright question 1. Why do we use focci?" Sidir asked.

"We don't really need focci, but because we have been relying on them, specifically wands, for so long we have used them because it allows us to shape our inner magic easier than it is to do so wandlessly." Harry said.

"Question 2. What are the components of a focci?" He asked.

"That is a very broad question." Harry said. Sidir didn't move or speak. "Very well than. Every focci has three things, at least any competent focci. They are the body, what shape the focci takes. The core, what we use to channel our magic. And the focus, what is used to help shape our magic along with our minds. Sometimes runes are added, but not always." Harry said.

"Question 3. Why are you here, in this shop?" Sidir asked.

"Because focci crafting fascinates me, and I hope that it may become the career that I follow." Harry said with a smile. Sidir was silent before he headed to the door, and opened it.

Harry was crestfallen until Sidir said, "Be prepared to work, and learn tomorrow. Come in at seven, and you will leave at two." Harry looked at him with a big smile before he got to the door.

"Oh yeah, Bodhidharma says to treat me well, Immortal."

Alright long ass chapter done. I hope everyone likes it, and it helps explain a few things. Next chapter, Hoggy Hoggy Hogwarts, is about to be taught something new, as Hadrian James Thornwood Finally goes to school! I bid you all adieu.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

930K 50.1K 34
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...
257K 24.8K 61
Third book of idol love series... Devotion- "Strongest form of love" All the characters are fictional. There is no connection with the real place or...
175K 3.6K 31
Rhiannon Walker, Harper McLean, and Amerie Wadia were best friends. Until one night at a music festival changes everything. Now Rhiannon is trying to...
602K 9.3K 63
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝗔𝗱𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝗻𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗼 𝗮 𝗴𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗽𝗰𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗻𝗼 𝗺𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗳𝗮𝗺𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝘆𝗼�...