The Search for Cinderella

By WaitingForEnd

After being left destitute by her stepmother Jade must dress up as a man to make a respectable living since s... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue
Drabble 1: Ring

Chapter 18

5.3K 335 28
By WaitingForEnd

Jade blinked as her vision blurred momentarily. Her was head pounding fiercely as Crown Prince Edward blathered on and on about the arrangements he was making for the ball. Prince Luke was absent and while Jade understood his reluctance to participate in this farce she was surprised he hadn't been frogmarched into the room by his bossy, older brother.

"Shouldn't Prince Luke be participating in this discussion?" Jade asked as the Crown Prince paused his lengthy speech to take a look at the paperwork thrust in his hand by Sir Elliot.

"Of course not," The former secretary shook his head so violently that his hair piece was in danger of falling down, "He's a loose canon whom I cannot trust in this matter."

"Surely he wouldn't betray our plans. He too seeks a conclusion to this problem," The current secretary was adamant.

"This is magic we're talking about. It, to be blunt, makes foes out of friends. I would hope you keep the details to yourself," The former secretary asked while the Prince watched the exchange with narrowed eyes.

"I understand. I've seen how he loses himself completely. Only water breaks the spell. I am certain of this," Jade nodded though she felt guilt at the thought of keeping things from her master.

"That's exactly why the theme of this ball is water," The Prince spoke abruptly, "I shall be damned if half the attendees don't slip at least once in a puddle or two."

"Let's hope we don't end up with too many broken bones," Sir Elliot murmered as he signed another parchment.

"I've called up more guards from the capital. We cannot afford to make mistakes," Edward continued on as if the former secretary hadn't spoken, "I have a cricket match to attend. I will take my leave."

The Prince gave Elliot a respectful nod of the head while Jade gave the elderly secretary a low bow performing as one would to their superiors. She left the room behind the Prince and decided she needed to have an important conversation with the man. Dimitri had given her a lot of reassurances but beyond collecting evidence he did not have any further role in the court proceedings.

"Your Highness, pardon me for asking but I wish to know if Emma's case has reached a conclusion. Have they announced who the perpetrators are?"

"Is this any of your concern?" Edward stride decreased in speed but he neither stopped, nor turned his head towards his brother's secretary. He still did not deem her worthy of attention though he had improved his behaviour enough to acknowledge her. It would be impossible to have a relationship with his brother if he did not.

"I am worried for my friend, Sire," Jade implored, "Emma has had no word about whether anything is being done at all."

"She need not worry quite so much. I have handled the matter to my satisfaction and I have written to her father detailing the circumstances. My own father, his royal Highness, has also been updated on the developments and his court will announce the verdict shortly," The blue eyed man gave Jade a brief look as the girl matched his pace while keeping an inch of a distance behind him as per court protocol.

"And what of her satisfaction, your Highness? She should have been at least given some indication that the guilty party has been apprehended. She still fears venturing outdoors," The tall girl tried to keep her tone of voice placid even though steady exasperation boiled in her veins.

"I suppose so. You should tell her she will have permanent guards to ease her back into the public eye," Edward's tone was flippant and irreverent.

"I don't believe it necessary, Sire."

"Why ever not?" The dark haired man gave Jade an inquiring look.

"She plans to depart from the palace permanently after the Ball," The brown haired girl announced with a certain noxious satisfaction that this pronouncement would break the Prince's frigid comportment. The girl was proven correct when the man paused so suddenly that the secretary trailing behind him nearly slammed into him.

"I see," Edward turned around and faced her with his jaw clenched.

"Your Highness," Jade bowed low and gave him a pitying look. She could understand the depth of his pain for she too was disturbed to lose a dear friend.

...

The letter she received upon her arrival to her rooms was vague and written in the Prince's own handwriting. It was usually rather neat and non-fussy but today it has been hastily slashed upon a recycled piece of parchment. Upon it lay instructions on how to get to the small man made forest behind the lake.

This development unsettled the secretary for she knew every inch of the Royal Prince's upcoming engagements and none of them were to occur today. In fact the Prince had specifically taken the day off to retire to his rooms.

Jade exchanged her shoes for another sturdier pair and stuffed a sandwich down her throat before taking the simplest route down to the rear exit of the castle. The red clad guard gave a bow and greeted her with familiarity as he opened the door for her.

In the distance Jade could see the cricket match Prince Edward had mentioned earlier. There were shouts and jeers as another wicket was lost. The tall girl was tempted to stay and watch but a quick look at her newly acquired pocket watch did not allow her the opportunity.

Jade climbed the green hill that undulated behind the lake and then skidded down the mossy shallow slope until she reached the copse of pine trees the Prince had beckoned her to.

The late afternoon sun shined through the trees and the girl craned her neck trying to catch sight of her employer. He was nowhere to be found and Jade bit her lip anxiously.

Without warning a bulky arm wrapped around her neck and pulled her off her feet. Jade nearly screeched with fear but kept her mouth shut as she struggled against the pressure around her neck. Her breath sounded harsh and frenzied to her ears in the silence.

Jade could feel her vision tunneling into nothingness and before she could lose consciousness she slammed her head into her assailant. Stabilising a little she used her feet to hit the man's knee. A moment later she was free and she swiveled around to face her attacker.

She was shocked to see it was Francis. The man's purple linen cravet and coat were undone while his eyes stared back blankly. He showed no signs of exertion.

"Why are you attacking me?" Jade hollered. The night before they had shared bread and mead like true friends and today the man had the gall to attack her viciously. She sincerely hoped it was a joke gone wrong.

The man just blandly looked at her with no answer to her question. He leap forward without warning but Jade was ready. She punched him in the jaw and thrust two fingers in his dark eyes. The man fell back and hit his head on the sparse grass beneath their feet.

Jade started to walk towards the fallen man but someone grabbed her collar from behind and threw her to the ground. The tall girl swiftly turned around on the ground and exhaled sharply.

"While Francis was a surprise, you are not, Richard," Jade growled through gritted teeth, "What have I done you to deserve this treatment?"

"You took my spot, you entitled prick! I deserved the position so much more than you," Richard stalked towards her with a menacing expression on his face. The decaying sun shone from behind him giving his built form an orange aura.

"The irony of you calling me entitled," Jade scoffed as she straightened her plaid cravet, "You wouldn't have lasted a minute in my position. You just don't have what it requires."

"Back again with your classist remarks! Just because you think you're better than the merchant class doesn't mean we're not capable. Do you know what they're giving that faffing Elliot after he retires: a title and acres of land. I want that!" Richard snarled and leap upon Jade who tried to roll away but the assailant caught her once again by the nape of her neck.

His fingers dug painfully in the sensitive skin and Jade wrenched herself away from his grip with immense pain. She was on her feet but a blow to the stomach made her double over. With a shake of her shoulders Richard propelled her into the nearest tree.

"What I want to know is why Francis helping you?" Jade grimaced at the man not daring to take her eyes off him to observe Francis who still lay prone on the ground.

He punched her in the stomach instead of replying which stole her breath but she refused to scream. She exhaled harshly and asked another question, "Have you done something to the Prince? I was supposed to meet him by now."

"Forget your sodding Prince for once you arse licker. He's got nothing to do with this except for choosing me as his secretary after you mysteriously disappear," Richard smiled, baring all of his shiny, white teeth. He hit Jade's face with his fist. The girl whimpered from the pain but once again controlled any shrill screams bubbling within her.

"And what about Francis?" The brown eyed girl pressed the issue, showcasing her tenacious nature.

"Magic beans, my friend," The attacker revealed as gave his victim another blow, "A witch offered me beans to help control a man's mind. I tried to give them to you yesterday but you evaded me somehow. I had to choose another victim to help me today."

Jade braced herself for another attack but found none incoming. She opened her eyes and found herself staring at Prince Luke. Richard was on the ground apparently caught unaware by the new arrival.

"Thank you, so kindly for admitting to all of your misdeeds," The Prince replied with a grimace marring his handsome face as if he had tasted something unpleasant.

The powerfully built attacker roared with unyielding fury and lashed out at the Prince but his brute force was no match for the well trained Prince. He blocked all the furious blows and gave the taller man a heaving push leading him back to the ground.

Before the man could rise again Dimitri raced to the scene followed by a dozen guards. They surrounded the two assailants and Luke turned his attention to his secretary who was sagging against the pine tree.

"Not at death's door I hope?" The Prince asked casually as if he talked about the weather. The servant took deep, calming breaths before she nodded.

The girl could not estimate how severe her injuries were but she was
certain the corset around her torso blocked the worst of her blows. She closed her eyes feeling grateful she was saved just in time when realisation hit her.

"You planned this!" Jade hissed, "You invited me to an isolated spot just so you could capture my attackers."

"Of course," Luke's grey eyes twinkled in amusement, "Is that not the same plan being formulated to capture my love. If you can use me as bait then so can I."

Her chest felt the pinch of an unfamiliar emotion. There was something so intimate about the word he used to describe the girl that had captured his heart.

Jade wanted to interrogate him about his "love" but felt uncharacteristically hesitant. They were already intent on snaring her like a wild animal in a trap. It felt irreverent to talk about his feelings even through she was certain he would entertain her line of questioning due to his easy spirit.

"Come to my chambers, please," The Prince ordered imperiously allowing no room for argument.

"Shouldn't you be getting medical attention?" The tall girl asked. Her eyes wandered over her employer seeking signs of injury.

"Me? You were the one attacked unaware. I'm just pleased Dimitri's lessons have had some effect," The long haired Prince gave her an encouraging sort of smile. They ascended the slippery hill side by side because Luke had none of the frippery protocols associated with his title. They ambled past the cricket match which was the least bit disturbed by the exciting developments just around the corner. Once inside the Palace the Prince led her to his rooms which she had only entered a handful of times.

The room was far grander then Jade's own accomodations. The rooms had their own foyer in which a marble staircase led up to the Prince's personal rooms. On the ground floor of the rooms were the public seating area where he received his personnel. Besides the receiving room there was a study which was their current destination.

Jade's dirty shoes sunk into the plush carpet and she wished she had had time to change them. They were filthy with muck from frantically digging them into the ground during her struggles. She was uncertain if she should toe them off but the Prince waved her in and slammed the door shut.

"Sit," Luke uttered with his back turned to her. He muddled through a wooden cabinet on his right until he found some bandages and glass containers. Jade sat down uneasily and found the pain in her limbs increase twofold.

"You have some cuts on your entire face. Your assailant was wearing a ring," The long haired man explained as he pressed a piece of bandage with a yellow substance.

"You seem to know what you're doing," Jade observed.

"Worry not, my young friend. My family has a history of medical interest. If I hadn't a role to play in this Royal farce I might have taken a post as a medical professional in a far away village," The Prince explained.

"Young?" The Prince's secretary snorted with derision, "How can you be certain I am younger than you?"

"How old are you? You barely have a hint of a mustache much less a beard," Luke asked curiously. His eyes trailed over Jade's wane face trying to guess the correct age.

"Three and Twenty," Jade answered wryly also doing the same. She hadn't paid attention to the newspapers in a long while and could only give a useless estimate.

"Four and Twenty. It seems I am truly your senior," The man gave her a cheeky grin which made her roll her eyes. It was funny how at their ages they were young men just starting their lives but as a woman she was considered an aging spinster.

"You don't have to. It is too much for you to condescend to heal your inferior," Jade said watching the man's hand deftly working on her cheek with crossed eyes.

"You leave me no choice for you are oddly reticent to venture into the infirmary. If I let you go you will not let anyone tend to you. Your old injuries took far too long to heal," The man guessed correctly.

"They were hardly worth the effort to drag myself to the infirmary. Besides I care not to associate with medical personnel. They make me uneasy," Jade explained half truthfully.

"You need to take care of yourself in spite of your reservations and reasons for mistrust," The man chided her as he patted the drenched gauze across her face. Jade hissed from the burning sensation.

"It's beyond simple fear and mistrust. I am certain they have had something with a loved ones demise but let us not dwell on the past," Jade lowered her amber eyes to her lap with a barely contained shudder. She could still feel the Prince's gaze upon her as his painful medicine was dabbed all over her face.

Luke's careful fingers stilled as he uttered his chosen words softly, "And you have not attempted vengeance even now when you would receive recompense in my father's court?"

The girl sighed and cleared her throat, "I have no proof."

"If you want something then you must strive for it."

"I'm the Royal Prince's secretary. What more can I want. The best revenge is living well," Jade replied, lightly.

"Perhaps," The taller man uttered with nonchalance. He looked at her hands and tutted.

"You have such fragile hands. No wonder they are so injured," The Prince shook his head with mock pity. Jade pulled her hands away with a wrench and gave the odious man a freezing glare.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

228 8 75
All she wants is to live her life in peace. But a series of unfortunate events places her on a whirlwind journey, and she must determine who she is a...
1.8K 246 16
[A young adult retelling of Cinderella - LGBT] What begins as a failed date in a tea shop leads Jay to find his fairy Godmother, the one who could ma...
646 74 42
Jade has just run away from her dull life as a maid to Princess Evelyn of Elementia. As she escapes to the region of magic she meets old friends, mak...
173 0 19
Throughout her childhood, Alice grew up on reading fairy tales about handsome princes, beautiful princesses and daring adventures. She grew up hoping...