Let There Be Light ✔

Bởi hyunchanee_exo

Chanyeol has been chosen to chase the Sun and bring it back to the sky. Things do not really go well once he... Xem Thêm

Exordium
Mark of the Sun
The Celestial Realm
Emperor Baekhyun
The Halleyians
Service to the Emperor
Romance
Begin Again
Free
The Party
The Sun
Morning Comes

Home

264 33 1
Bởi hyunchanee_exo

"Greetings, Your Highness."

Chanyeol is scared of approaching the emperor in the gardens, especially since it seems like an intimate moment for him. But what can he do? He cannot exactly whine to Sehun to go get the emperor himself since it would be totally embarrassing. He is an actual adult and Sehun is no more than just a young sixteen-year-old with the mindset of a wizened old man. Chanyeol has to appropriately act his age.

Thankfully, the emperor did not seem disturbed or irritated of his presence. On the contrary, it actually felt like he had been waiting for him.

Or maybe it is just your imagination.

"Hello, Chanyeol," Baekhyun greets with a soft smile across his lips, paired up with his eyes forming into endearing crescents. "Why did you come?"

"Sehun wanted me to accompany you to the dining hall."

Baekhyun nods as he shifts his gaze towards the fountain. Chanyeol cannot help it but notice how ethereal the emperor looks - his skin having this iridescent prismatic sheen, his blond hair sparkling with stars, the ruby and spinel jewels on his face glinting as he moves and with the glowing dust motes floating in the atmosphere, everything comes together to form such a breathtaking sight. Like a meteor shower in a clear night.

"Chanyeol? Are you okay?"

The emperor's question pushes Chanyeol out of his trance. He shakes his head to clear his mind as a hint of a blush touches his face at the embarrassment of getting caught while staring.

"Ah, I zoned out a bit. I remembered something."

Baekhyun straightens up in attention.

"Will you tell me what it is?"

Chanyeol blushes even deeper.

"It is nothing interesting," he laughs awkwardly as his hand shoots up to scratch his hair.

"I highly doubt that. Anything that comes out of an otherwordly being's mouth is interesting to me."

With Baekhyun probing hard like this, Chanyeol finds himself not being able to resist.

"W-Well I just thought... um... you remind me of a..."

Baekhyun smiles in innocently. "Of a what?"

"Of a meteor shower."

The emperor tilts his head to the side. "Why?"

"You are an exquisite sight."

There is a silence that ensues, and the expression on Baekhyun's face is unreadable. In his mind, Chanyeol starts to pray for his soul, hoping that he did not offend the emperor in anyway.

Seconds later, Baekhyun suddenly takes a step towards him. His face is serious and for a moment, Chanyeol is struck by fear at what the emperor might do to him.

He does not expect the way Baekhyun reaches out to cradle his head in his hands, eyes darting over his features, sparkling in wonder as they seem to search for something.

"Tell me the truth, mortal," he says in a hushed voice as his thumb caresses his skin. "Do you know me?"

Chanyeol blinks in confusion.

"I... I do not get what you mean."

"But why... why do you speak, act and even look like him?"

The mortal furrows his eyebrows.

"Who do you mean, Your Highness?"

Chanyeol watches as the emperor remains silent, continuing to look at him intently. He sees how his expression slowly changes until sadness finally settles in his eyes.

"What is wrong?" Chanyeol probes.

The emperor steps back, finally letting Chanyeol have his personal space back although having him close to him strangely feels relaxing. Familiar, even.

"It is nothing," Baekhyun smiles apologetically. "I am sorry that you had to witness my eccentricity."

"You are not eccentric, Your Highness," Chanyeol blurts out without thinking much about his words.

The emperor chuckles. "You are very interesting." He turns on his heels and continues, "Let us go proceed to the dining hall. I am hungry, I hope they made something that suits my taste today."

"But what if they did not?" Chanyeol suddenly blurts out again.

"Well, they are not psychic so it is not their fault, obviously."

Chanyeol nods, embarrassed once again for letting himself ask such a stupid question.

"Right..."

Upon entering the dining hall right after Baekhyun, Chanyeol sees the other servants standing stationary in a line just behind the chair at the head of the table. Sehun is among them, who gives Chanyeol a meaningful smile before his face melted into calm seriousness.

"Greetings, Your Highness," everyone says as they dip their heads. Chanyeol panics a bit, not knowing what to do so he abruptly bows down. In the process of doing so, his head bumps against the emperor's back, who twists his body and gives Chanyeol a questioning look.

Jolting up, Chanyeol gasps, "I-I did not mean to!" He bows once again in apology. "I am sorry!"

Instead of scolding him like he had expected, Baekhyun only puts a hand on his raven locks and pats his head gently then says, "Be at ease, Chanyeol. Do not be so nervous. It is okay."

"I-I'm sorry..."

Baekhyun shakes his head with a light laugh. "Come, join me for this meal."

Despite the emperor's attempt to soothe him, Chanyeol is still jittery, not knowing how to act. He tries his best to calm himself down though, since Baekhyun seems like a good person after all and what he deserves is not a pathetic servant like him.

Chanyeol sits down on the seat to Baekhyun's right which he had preoccupied before, too. When he is finally comfortable, he looks up to the emperor with an expectant gaze.

"Shall we eat?" Baekhyun begins, spreading his hands out in invitation. Chanyeol nods timidly and reaches out for the food.

"Chanyeol, were you able to sleep well?" the emperor inquires as he starts filling his plate. "By the way, you should try that," he points to a bowl filled with milky liquid, ice cube-like jewels floating in its surface. "It is extremely delicious."

"I did, Your Highness," Chanyeol graciously says. He then reaches out to the bowl and adds, "And please do not mind if I do have a taste."

Baekhyun hums. "That is good."

"Why, Your Highness?"

"Nothing important. Just making sure because I do not want you falling ill."

But the glint in the emperor's eyes seem to hint that he is up to something else.

And Chanyeol is right because when they finish dining, Baekhyun whisks him away to a secluded part of the palace, far away from the sight of the servants and the guards.

"Chanyeol, listen," the emperor whispers. He has the mortal up against in a wedge between two walls, and he is so close that Chanyeol could literally see how delicate and pretty his eyelashes are that even seem to produce sparkling little motes every time he blinks.

"What is it, Emperor Baekhyun?" the mortal murmurs lowly.

"We are going out of the palace," he says in a hushed voice. "But we will have to sneak out."

"Why?"

"I am not allowed to go out due to... safety measures."

Chanyeol's eyes widen. "B-But if that is the case, then shouldn't you just come with your guards–"

Baekhyun raises an eyebrow. "Do you dare question your emperor?"

Chanyeol lifts his hands up and shakes his head, eyes wide in panic. "I-I'm just saying that it might be dangerous a-and your guards are more capable of protecting you than I am that is why–"

"I understand where you are coming from, but they will never allow me out."

Now Chanyeol is even more confused.

"You are the emperor though, you have the authority."

Baekhyun shakes his head.

"I have power over the Solar Empire, but the galaxy is lawless and everything goes by no one's terms. Crimes are unwarranted to punishment. I can take care of myself unlike how everyone in the palace thinks, but please. Come with me, Chanyeol."

"Why do you even have to go out, Your Highness? You yourself says it's dangerous, why do you have to risk–"

"Do you not wish to find a way back to your realm?"

Chanyeol blinks.

"W-What?"

"I want to help you," Baekhyun shrugs.

"B-But–"

"You do not expect for a way back home to just appear while you idle around in the palace, do you?"

"N-No, of course not!"

"Then," the emperor grabs Chanyeol's larger hand. When they touch, the mortal feels a warm sensation shoot up his hand and spread to become electric shocks that quickly extinguish into a comforting feeling.

"Come with me, Chanyeol."

And did Chanyeol have any choice?

Hand in hand, the couple attempts to sneak out of the palace with Baekhyun leading the way. While the emperor is obviously having fun doing this, Chanyeol is shaking with anxiety and the thrill of doing something dangerous. He had no problem sneaking around before because the palace is safer than the outside. This time, they are doing the opposite and after what he had heard about the outside, it is scaring him out of his wits.

The palace is more guarded than Chanyeol originally thought, making him wonder how on earth was he even able to sneak around undetected as a mortal back when he first snuck into the palace. They manage to sneak past the first few halls leading up to one of the side gateways, which wasn't an easy feat. When they reach the final one, a guard suddenly appears when the emperor pulls Chanyeol out from hiding.

"Baekhyun!" the mortal cries out in a hushed whisper just in time before the guard could see them. He pulls the emperor to his chest and holds his breath, eyes on the guard as he waits for him to leave.

"That was so close," Baekhyun breathes, laughing silently as he looks up at the terrified look on Chanyeol's face. "And did you just call me by first name?"

Upon realizing that he indeed has, Chanyeol gives the emperor an even more terrified look.

"I-I am sorry, I did not mean to disrespect you, Your Highness–"

"Say my name again."

Chanyeol wants to ask why again, but the way Baekhyun is looking makes him just forget about it.

"B-Baekhyun..."

The emperor closes his eyes and smiles.

"I have never heard my name being spoken like that in such a long time."

"Did I pronounce that wrong, Your Highness?"

"No, it was perfect." The emperor opens his eyes and stares up at the mortal with tenderness. "Call me Baekhyun from now on, understood?"

Chanyeol nods.

Now outside, there are lesser guards on duty. Baekhyun guides him through the greenery lining the way towards the gate, hiding from their sight. When they reach the side gate, Baekhyun pulls Chanyeol down behind a bush.

"We are lucky the gate is open today, the servants are probably out to gather resources," the emperor whispers. "There is only one person guarding the gate, the others have strayed away. As you can see, the bastard is groggy from boredom so all we have to do is distract him with something."

Chanyeol hums, racking his brains as his eyes drift around. His gaze then settles on the hard, round debris below his feet.

It is a stupid and childish idea, but they had to do something quick and efficient.

"Do you trust me, Your Highness?"

"I told you, call me Baekhyun–"

"Do you?" Chanyeol presses on.

The emperor blinks, confused. "Oh, w-well yes..."

"I have an idea," Chanyeol says as he picks up the debris. "I will go there," he points further behind them, "and throw the debris. I'll aim at the guard and then maybe shout a taunt or something. When he goes here, you'll hurry down the path towards the gate and I'll come follow after you."

"And if it does not work?"

"Well... this plan will have to be for another day."

Baekhyun pouts distastefully, a sight Chanyeol would be distracted of if only he wasn't preoccupied by thinking up of a way to leave the gate.

"Then I'll trust that you make this work. If we do not manage to do this today, there will be no other days because security would be even more tight."

Chanyeol is now daunted by the task, but it did nothing but make him even more determined to make this work.

"Go there now, quick," he tells the emperor who quickly scurries down the path close to the gate.

Creeping back a few meters, Chanyeol picks up a debris on his way then crouches over on a spot, peeking out towards the guard who is now leaning against the wall, looking bored out of his mind and still groggy as well. Slowly, he lifts the debris up, poising it over his head at an angle he hopes is enough to reach the guard.

With one swift movement, Chanyeol finally lets the debris fly.

It was a fail, but not totally because it still managed to attract the guard's attention when it hit the wall right next to him. The sound makes him jolt and immediately look over to where Chanyeol is now crouching over.

"Who is there?" the guard booms, obviously annoyed as he takes a step forward.

"Why don't you come here and see?!" Chanyeol yells, starting to sweat nervously.

Take the bait, damn it.

"Oh I will, and you better be prepared, punk!" the guard furiously exclaims as he starts to stalk towards Chanyeol's place, fuming with heavy footsteps.

When the guard reaches halfway towards the bushes, Chanyeol finally breaks out into a run. He is not a fast runner; that is evident during his training, but when someone is depending on him for this, then he'll become an ancient Olympic runner just to fulfill his goals.

"Chanyeol, hurry!" Baekhyun whispers harshly, flailing his arms around the mortal. In his hurry, Chanyeol knocks into Baekhyun, who just grabs his hand and pulls him towards the gate.

"And where do you two think are you going?"

The emperor and the mortal freeze on their tracks, and that's not because of the Halleyians.

"H-Hello, Jongin," Baekhyun greets with a timid smile.

"Your Highness," the head of security bows towards the emperor. When he straightens up, he looks at the mortal and says, "Chanyeol, hello. You are alive."

"Hello to you too, General Jongin," the mortal murmurs.

"So... what business do you have sneaking out of the palace?"

Baekhyun and Chanyeol exchanges a nervous look before the emperor says, "I will accompany Chanyeol into finding a way back home."

"I do not want to disrespect you, Your Highness, but that is no easy feat. Plus, that Sehun kid will definitely not like this."

"Jongin, please–"

"Please," Chanyeol says, stepping forward towards the man. "You people have been trapping the emperor in this palace for far too long. Just this once, I beg of you. Allow him to go out."

The head of security sighs.

"Why are you so troublesome, Chanyeol?" he says as he scratches his head. "Fine, whatever. You owe me two now."

The mortal hops on his feet excitedly.

"Thank you, General Jongin!" he says happily.

"Now off you go," Jongin says, waving them off. "Bring back the emperor in one whole piece, please. You do not want to deal with the consequences if you lose our Solar Emperor."

"I can take care of myself," the emperor haughtily says, rolling his eyes. He has another snarky comment at the tip of his tongue but Chanyeol stops him by grabbing his hand and pulling him out into the world.

"This is so refreshing," Baekhyun says, breathing in the galactic fumes hanging in the atmosphere. "I have not been out for such a long time."

"Where do we even go first?" Chanyeol wonders, eyes straying around. They have only walked the first few meters, so there is not much to see since Chanyeol has seen everything so far.

"I know of a field," Baekhyun says. "I think I can remember it being in the middle of a forest found at the east of the Solar Palace. It is brimming with power and magic, and I have heard Sehun discuss it with the other servants that it might be utilized to jump through worlds."

"Is it far?" Chanyeol asks.

"Not really... but we may have to rest once while walking towards it."

Silence ensues between them for the next few moments, with only the sound of their feet scrunching against the debris on the ground and the light thudding sounds of their hearts.

"Chanyeol... what is your story?"

The mortal looks to the side, meeting Baekhyun's gaze. His eyes are a deep shade of brown, but they are so bright with diamonds in them.

Is it okay to tell Baekhyun about who he is and what his purpose is staying in this world?

Tell him everything, just do not tell him of your purpose.

"I grew up with Fate dictating how the rest of my life will go," Chanyeol begins. "All my life, I have been trained, prepared, meticulously nurtured so that I could successfully do what Fate wants me to. I dedicated my life to the good of all, and I never complained."

He smiles bitterly as he gazes back at the emperor.

"I am not exactly a very interesting person."

"That is as interesting as it gets, Chanyeol. What are you saying?" Baekhyun softly says, squeezing his hand. "No wonder I am so comfortable around you... we are somehow parallel, in a sense."

Chanyeol gives him a look. "Oh? Tell me why."

"Well," the emperor sighs. "Just like you, Fate wanted me to be someone whose life will be dedicated for the good of all. I am in this position not because I want to, but because I was forced to. In fact, I–"

Baekhyun pauses abruptly, as if to prepare himself.

"–I am still not fulfilling the role I am meant to do. I am still actively going against what I need to do, and at the cost of many lives. But what can I do?" he smiles sadly. "I have lost hope."

The emperor sounds so disappointed of himself, but Chanyeol did not know how to comfort him properly when it is obvious that he also did not want to tell him yet of what role he actually holds.

"Thinking of myself is something that I never had the privilege of giving to myself," he blurts out. "I think it's good that you thought of yourself."

Baekhyun does not answer.

They keep on walking, with Chanyeol occasionally bringing a topic up. The more time he spends with the emperor, the more he loosens up and feels comfortable enough to let himself babble away like the talkative kid that he actually is.

"You know," Chanyeol speaks up. "I have never really taken a moment to just stop and admire everything in this place but right now... wow, Baekhyun. This is such a beautiful world. Its existence defies the standards of perfection that we know of."

The emperor chuckles. "It truly is such a wonderful world... if only it isn't so bleak and dreary all the time."

"Why would you describe it like that?"

Chanyeol did not really know where they are heading towards, fully trusting Baekhyun to guide the way since he is the one who knows this realm better, so it comes as a surprise when Baekhyun stops and he follows after him then he discovers that they are at the edge of a cliff that leads down to a milky dark blue darkness, stretching out for miles ahead of them.

"Don't you see, Chanyeol?" Baekhyun whispers. "The Celestial Realm... it is beautiful, yet it holds such a melancholic atmosphere. When you are by yourself, you will feel how truly alone and empty you actually are in this vast universe."

The emperor has so much lachrymose in his silent voice, thick and three-dimensional that it ebbs into Chanyeol and causes this dull ache in his chest.

Baekhyun looks up to the mortal.

"May I confess something?"

Chanyeol hums. "What is it?"

"The universe is a mysterious place. Its existence is a whole enigma that we will never be able to understand. I never really cared what it truly is and how it worked... until its cruel lover, Fate, pulled me out of the Terrarian Realm."

Chanyeol's eyes are blown in shock as he stares at the emperor. Those bright yet deep brown eyes, the jewels adorning his face, the simple perfection of what still remains as such a breathtaking beauty...

"Is it really so shocking to you?" Baekhyun chuckles, tapping his chin. Chanyeol closes his mouth which had been hanging open without him realizing.

"Nothing about you seems mortal, Your Highness..." Chanyeol says, stunned.

"It's been several centuries, and I have grown accustomed to the Celestial Realm. And after all, I was half-mortal, half-celestial so..."

Chanyeol's head is brimming with so much questions begging to leap out of his lips and to be answered. Baekhyun talks about how the universe is such a mysterious place, but Chanyeol could care less about that.

Not when he has a whole Emperor Baekhyun being such a mystery himself.

"Let's go," the emperor says, tugging at Chanyeol's hand. "The field is near. If we move now, we can get there quick."

They continue walking in comforting silence, with Chanyeol talking once in a while just like before. Not as much though because he is too busy delving in his hyperactive thoughts that have gone wild after Baekhyun's confession. Is his life like in those ancient young adult novels that one of his friends enjoy reading, wherein the main character is actually the son of a mortal and god and he had to live his life as a demigod in the world of gods and goddesses in order to protect humanity from forces of evil? Is Baekhyun's life like that, wherein he is just an ordinary human until something about his family heritage causes a stir in his system and thrusts him into a new world?

Chanyeol is so curious, but he could not just simply ask Baekhyun the answers to his questions. He can only know the answers if Baekhyun himself gave them.

The couple has covered quite a distance since Chanyeol could now feel his muscles starting to complain from exhaustion. Luckily, Baekhyun stops.

"We are here," he says when he brushes away a huge leaf obscuring their view, revealing a wide field in the middle of the forestry. It is almost circular in shape, with grasses of diamond tinted with chlorophyll and the occasional wild padparadscha flowers growing among them.

"So much power..." Baekhyun breathes in as he closes his eyes and spreads his arms out. "Chanyeol, do you feel a connection to this place?"

The mortal did not know as he uncertainly follows after the emperor. He did not feel anything, nor does he even sense the power or magic that Baekhyun claims. The place does seem kind of familiar though, since it does seem similar to the place he first woke up in... but it does not give Chanyeol a special kind of feeling.

"I am not sure, Baekhyun..." he mutters as he darts his eyes around.

"I cannot remember anymore what portal I have taken before in order to come here," Baekhyun murmurs. "This one is strong, but I do not think this is even a portal..."

Growl.

Chanyeol's eyes widen as his head snaps to his right, eyes straining to see through the dark area of the trees not illuminated enough by the glowing dust motes.

"D-Did you hear that?" the mortal asks in a hushed voice as he slowly inches towards Baekhyun who had strayed off to the far side of the field, crouching over to pick up a bright yellow topaz flower on the ground.

"Hear what, Chanyeol?" Baekhyun asks, looking up to Chanyeol from his position.

"A growl."

"I don't hear anything."

Roar!

"Oh shit!" Baekhyun swears, jumping up to his feet and quickly grabbing Chanyeol by the back of his robes when a huge creature resembling a lion made of inky black clouds jumped from the darkness, baring its white, glassy fangs at them as it makes a dangerous, guttural sound.

"W-What–"

"Chanyeol, it's high time we run if you do not want us to end up being a meal!"

The moment they break out into a run, the beast follows close behind, growling at them as it darts through the forest in sudden bursts, which makes it conveniently slow, allowing Chanyeol and Baekhyun to put a considerable distance between them and the creature. If it had been faster, then they would have died by now.

"What was that?!" Chanyeol shouts in terror, panting slightly as he tries to match Baekhyun's fast feet.

"It was a varmint, an embodiment of basically the nastiest things that could exist in this realm," Baekhyun says as he pushes Chanyeol down under a thick bush, having him curl up before he follows after him and curls up against him.

"We'll let it past before we move on," the emperor whispers.

"I am stupid, I should have asked for a weapon from Jongin," Chanyeol murmurs in frustration. "Baekhyun, I am sorry. Because of me, our lives are in danger."

"Does not matter," Baekhyun says. "We are both at fault here, no one needs to apologize. All we have to do is stay–"

He suddenly stops, putting a hand over his mouth and on Chanyeol, whose hands quickly shoot up to hold Baekhyun's wrist.

The emperor widens his eyes, moving his head up as heavy breathing comes from right above them.

It is here.

Chanyeol is not a religious person. He does not worship any god yet at that moment, with his heart pounding so hard in his chest, he prays to every god in existence, asking for protection and if anyone answers him, he wishes for them to identify themselves so he would know which god he'd be a devout to. That's how desperate he is. This is a matter of life and death.

They remain like that for a long stretch of time that Chanyeol's limbs are starting to grow numb from ill-movement. A little while later, Baekhyun decides to move. He lifts a finger up to his lips in a shushing movement before he straightens up to check.

Chanyeol suddenly grabs his hand and pulls him down.

"W-What if it is still there?" he whispers nervously

Baekhyun smiles at him reassuringly as he shakes his hold away from him.

"I will be okay."

Chanyeol whimpers nervously as he watches Baekhyun slowly straighten up to look over the bush. He stays like that for a few moments before he tugs at Chanyeol's sleeve.

"It is gone now. Let us go on our way back to the palace. We are not safe here anymore with that thing on the prowl."

Chanyeol is relieved that Baekhyun finally decides that today's conquest is enough, although there definitely is a part of him that is disappointed of the fact that they could not find a reliable place that they can consider as a portal. Will there even be a next time for an adventure like this today, when the palace has probably figured out that their beloved emperor is nowhere within its walls?

After covering a couple more kilometers, Chanyeol suddenly feels something. It is a low buzzing sensation that spreads over the mortal's skin, pulling him towards a certain direction.

"Chanyeol, where are you going?" Baekhyun asks when he notices that he had let go of his hand.

The mortal does not reply. He is in a trance, eyes clouded yet focused on the direction that he is walking towards with sure footsteps.

"Chanyeol!" Baekhyun calls out, running after him. He pulls at his robes, trying to make him stop, but the mortal simply pushes him away.

"I am sorry, Your Highness," Chanyeol says. "But it's calling to me..."

"What is calling out to you?"

Chanyeol does not answer. Instead, he keeps on walking and walking until finally, he reaches it.

"A lake?" Baekhyun speaks from behind him. "Why have I not seen this before?"

"I-I know this place..." the mortal murmurs when his eyes drift over the whole area. The trees, the surrounding shores, the lake of melted sapphire with stars swimming in its calm waves... it is the mirror of the one lake that he had fell in two times back in his realm.

"I feel very powerful magic in this place, maybe even more powerful than the field," Baekhyun murmurs, closing his eyes as he breathes in deeply. "So much raw magic... Chanyeol, you might want to... Chanyeol?"

The emperor sees the mortal going down on his fours, staring intently down at the clear blue waters.

"Baekhyun, this is a portal."

"How are you so sure?" Baekhyun says, looking over his shoulder. "You woke up in a field, right? This world functions like a parallel to other worlds. You cannot be transported into a lake if you have woken up in a field. It must be a direct counterpart."

"No, I am sure this is it."

A familiar sound comes from a distance. It was a growl, probably coming from the beast that had chased them earlier. Baekhyun looks fearfully at the mortal and says, "The varmint is closing in on us. It will catch up with us soon. Chanyeol, we should definitely be on our merry way now–"

"I need to go back, Baekhyun."

"What?! Chanyeol–"

The mortal rushes over to the emperor. He takes his hand and with a desperate look across his face, he says, "Please Baekhyun, I beg of you," he pleads. "Just a few seconds, I will see if it is a portal."

"But what if it is not? I will not allow you to see me fighting."

"Why–"

Another growl comes, and it is getting closer.

"Ah, shit!" Baekhyun swears as he turns around and pushes Chanyeol away. "Go, quickly. Pray that it truly is a portal so you could go back to your realm. I will handle this."

Chanyeol nods erratically then runs towards the lake. Without even stripping off his clothes, he jumps into the water. But before he dives in, he looks over his shoulder.

Something suddenly pulls Chanyeol down under, and he only gets to see how a fiery shade of orange bleeds through Baekhyun's blonde hair as he bursts out into a bright burning aura before the waters finally eat him up.

Unlike the first times that Chanyeol had been swallowed by the lake in his world wherein he has been driven unconscious, this time he maintains his grasp of reality. It makes him dizzy as he passes through what seems like a whirlpool that bends space and time, tossing and turning him around before everything finally comes at peace.

Until... everything stops.

Slowly, Chanyeol swims his way back to the surface despite the dizziness and disorientation caused by the portal. When he reaches the surface, a rush of relief and excitement shoots through his system.

"I am back..." Chanyeol whispers under his breath. "I am home... I am back..."

It was tempting, the want to get out of the water and dash back home where his mother and father are, probably hoping and waiting for his return. Chanyeol wants to see his parents, he wants to see his sister Yoora and her sons, and he wants to see his friends.

But the image of a fearful and troubled Emperor Baekhyun flashes in his mind, and he remembers why he cannot just easily go back home.

With him in danger and the Sun still not up in the sky, going back home is an option that Chanyeol cannot resort to.

Swimming closer towards the shore, Chanyeol unearths a piece of paper from within his robes. It is a letter that he had written for his parents about his last goodbye and how they should live their life according to how they want it to be, never like how Chanyeol had only been dictated about everything, never free to do anything for himself. The letter is now wet and he hopes to god that the letters aren't too smudged.

Chanyeol puts the paper on the shore and covers it with stones. When he is done, he sets up a little pole in order for people to see his letter and hopefully bring it to his parents.

"I will be back," Chanyeol declares under his breath, eyes taking his last glimpse of the Terrarian Realm before he plunges back into the dark water.

When he comes back, Chanyeol nearly gets a heart attack when he is greeted by the sight of Baekhyun laying on the ground, eyes closed and breathing shallow. In a shot of panic, he bolts out of the water, rushing towards the emperor as fast as his soaked robe would allow him to go.

"Baekhyun!" Chanyeol gasps in horror as he hovers over his body. He places his hands on his chest then tries shaking him awake. He hates himself so much for leaving Baekhyun alone to fight that varmint, endangering his life just because of his selfish reasons.

Slowly, Baekhyun opens his eyes, blinking up at Chanyeol who cries out in relief and pulls him up to embrace him to his chest.

"Chanyeol... why did you come back?" Baekhyun whispers weakly.

"I am so sorry!" he wails as he buries his face into his shoulder. "I should not have left you behind like that I-I should have–"

"I am not weak, Chanyeol. Do you think lowly of me?"

Chanyeol gasps, letting go of Baekhyun as he dips down in an apologetic bow.

"T-That's not what I mean, I-I just–"

The emperor places a hand on his head then ruffles his dark hair.

"I am just messing with you," Baekhyun laughs gently. "But Chanyeol... why did you come back?"

The mortal lifts his head up and looks to the side, unsure of what to say.

"W-Well..." he purses his lips. "I-I actually still have a purpose... in this world..."

Baekhyun perks his eyebrows up.

"Your purpose... you need to fulfill it in this realm?"

Chanyeol nods.

"Yes, and I can't go back if I do not fulfill it."

"Are you going to tell me what it is?"

Chanyeol smiles. "General Jongin already told me you celestials have lost hope with it."

Baekhyun furrows his eyebrows. "Why, what is it?"

"I have been tasked to bring back the Sun."

Baekhyun falls silent as he simply stares at the mortal.

"I have been trained and conditioned so I can be prepared for the task." Chanyeol is breathless for some reason. "It is what I have dedicated my whole life to and I cannot just leave this place without finding the Sun."

The emperor opens his mouth to say something, but he is disrupted.

"So this is where the two of you have been canoodling, I see."

The couple gasps as they shoot away from each other. In front of them stood two men with grey eyes, pale skins that had a bluish iridescence and icy blue jewels marking one side of their faces. One of them, the shorter of the couple, wore a big crown of royal sapphire.

Are these the Halleyians that they speak of?

"Jongdae, Minseok!" Baekhyun shouts as he stands up to his feet, grabbing hold of Chanyeol's robes to pull him up to his feet.

"Aha!" the one without a crown yells as he points accusingly at Baekhyun. "So this is why you took a mortal under your wing this time! You want to do the wild and naughty with him, don't you?"

"What?" Baekhyun yells, looking scandalized while Chanyeol could only stare, dumbfounded.

"Don't you dare lie! His wet visage explains everything!"

"Stop saying such weird things, Jongdae!" Baekhyun yells, covering his ears.

"You, mortal," the man named Jongdae points at Chanyeol. "Baekhyun is sexually frustrated after centuries of abstinence from sexual intercourse. Do not get yourself entangled in his trap."

Chanyeol's ears turn a beet red, flustered out of his wits.

"Stop telling Chanyeol lies!" Baekhyun wails. "I am not sexually frustrated, I do not care for physical pleasure–"

"Now now, let us all be at peace," the one with the sapphire crown calmly says, stepping forward. "Sehun is terribly worried of you, Baekhyun. I suggest we go back; I do not want to see him throwing a tantrum."

"I wasn't canoodling with Chanyeol, Minseok," Baekhyun pouts, hiding behind the taller man.

"We know, Jongdae was just messing with you," the man named Minseok chuckles. "Now, shall we go?"

Chanyeol turns to Baekhyun, who nods as he places an arm on the small of his back and urges him to follow the other two men.

"Those are the Halleyians, by the way," Baekhyun murmurs from his side. "The ugly loudmouth is Lord Jongdae while the one with the crown is King Minseok."

Chanyeol's mouth forms into an 'o'.

The walk back seems shorter, what with them being distracted by Jongdae arguing with Baekhyun. When they reach the palace, Chanyeol is attacked by guilt at the sight of so many of the palace guards scrambling around in an erratic search for their emperor.

"Hear, hear, Solareans!" Jongdae booms with an unbelievably loud voice, arms spread out towards the guards at the gate. "Be at peace, cease the search. We have come with your emperor."

Chanyeol sees General Jongin rushing towards them with Kyungsoo by his side, looking relieved.

"Thank the heavens you are alive Your Highness, Chanyeol," he breathes, massaging his chest.

"He is only relieved because Sehun wouldn't have to execute him," Kyungsoo says before the general elbows him.

"I will talk to Sehun," Baekhyun says, brushing past everyone and entering the palace, with Chanyeol following after him along with the Halleyians.

"Your Highness!" Sehun cries when he sees Baekhyun and the others. "You nearly gave me a heart attack! Why are you cruel?"

"I am sorry," Baekhyun says, dipping his head apologetically.

"An apology will not suffice!" Sehun announces with authority. "Come Your Highness, let us talk with the palace council. And you," he points at Chanyeol. "Go to your room. I will have someone bring you food."

Chanyeol nods. He gives Baekhyun one last smile before he turns around to head back to his room.

Entry #2

Today the emperor and I snuck out. I did not want to because he stressed how dangerous it would be, but he was adamant about going out. I couldn't really say no, so we did it. We managed to sneak out even when General Jongin caught us. We talked about a lot of things on the way, and I think I've never felt this close to someone who I just met before. We went to this field that he had heard is a place that can be used to jump through worlds, but we did not stay for long because a Varmint appeared. We managed to escape. On our way back to the palace, I felt a weird tug, and it led me towards this strange lake that looked very similar to the lake back in the Terrarian Realm. I jumped in and saw that it does lead back to my world. I hate myself for leaving Baekhyun alone to fight... and I am curious why he does not want me to see him fighting.

In the end, we managed to get out unharmed, but at the cost of the Halleyians' teasing and Sehun getting mad.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

18.2K 1.2K 35
____________________ Wherein Chanyeol falls for the sassy and cold brunet next door who happens to be his childhood friend. ____________________ Date...
40K 1.6K 4
Baekhyun kisses a stranger who turns out to be his best friend's crush. ***COMPLETE*** . . . TWT: @exolefirstclass . . . MANIP CREDIT: Cocochanbaek T...
Roommate Bởi -

Fanfiction

464K 20.9K 26
[English] A BaekYeol/ChanBaek fic. === I know, since i first saw your eyes, i fell in love with you. -Park Chan Yeol. At first i found you're an anno...
249K 11.3K 28
[English] A ChanBaek/BaekYeol fanfiction. ========================= Chanyeol is a straight-handsome-guy who has a tall body, charming smile, and he's...