Haunting

By Black_Sheep

When the King family moves into the old Oswald house, seventeen year old Shannon finds more then she bargaine... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
The Mysterious Missing Chapter
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven & Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen & Seventeen
Chapter eighteen

Chapter Nineteen

204 12 0
By Black_Sheep

Chapter nineteen

“Are you ready to go home?” Reggie whispered, running her long, elegant fingers across the planes of Shannon’s face.

Shannon sighed and shivered, and looked out the window at the sun fighting to be seen through the dark rain clouds. “I guess,” she said reluctantly.

A thought flitted trough Shannon’s foggy brain, and it took a few seconds for them to make sense. Ten she sat up abruptly and looked down and Reggie lying there. “You didn’t leave Kelly and Missy alone did you?”

Reggie scoffed and shoved Shannon softly. “I’m from the 1800’s, I’m not a crack head. Even we didn’t leave children at home alone.”

Shannon had to repress a truly inappropriate smile considering the events of the night before. But that’s what Reggie did to her, she made Shannon smile. “You guys had the industrial revolution, you invented child labour.”

“We invented child labour laws,” Reggie said and kissed Shannon softly on the lips that couldn’t hide the smile. “But no, your friends Ben and Flick turned up out of the blue. They are babysitting the babies, so I could babysit you.”

“Good, but I can’t leave them alone with Missy and Kelly any longer. That’s not fair to anyone.”

Reggie pulled herself up off the bed, and tugged on the sneakers that were sitting next to the bed. Shannon winced when she saw them, they were Fiona’s trainers. Shannon breathed through the guilt and pain and got up to rifle through the pile of shoes in the corner of Joanie’s room for some that would fit.

Reggie and Joanie walked into the living room hand in hand were they found Joanie stretched out on the couch watching reruns of South Park.

“Are you guys leaving?” Joanie asked with a yawn.

“Um yeah,” Shannon said, feeling awkward. “Thanks for everything.”

“It’s fine,” Joanie said. “But when things settle down, you and I are going to have a good, long talk, do you hear me, Gypsy Witch?”

Shannon nodded, while Reggie and Joanie shared a reluctant smile.

They walked down in silence, hands clasped tightly.

“I never thought that I’d be able to do something like this,” Reggie said softly.

“Do what?” Shannon asked with a frown.

Reggie shook their linked hands. “This,” she said. “Hold hands with the girl I love, kiss in the middle of the street,” Reggie paused to peck Shannon briefly on the lips. “I never thought I’d allowed to be in love with a girl. Your world blows my mind Shannon.”

“You blow my mind, Reggie,” Shannon said and then pulled a silly face.

Reggie kissed her again, this time more fiercely.

Shannon pulled back reluctantly when a car full of high school boys drove past, honking and wolf whistling.

“And I should probably also thank you from talking my down from the edge.” Shannon pulled their entwined hands up to her mouth for a kiss.

“Speaking of the edge,” Reggie said cryptically. “I think you should call your father.”

“But…” Shannon trailed off. “Okay.”

Reggie passed Shannon her phone and took a step back to give her some space.

The phone rang a few times before a very tired sounding Harrison answered the phone.

“Shannon,” he said, the relief evident in his voice, even over the phone.

“I’m so sorry daddy,” Shannon said, her voice cracking, cutting off whatever Harrison was going to say next.

“Oh, baby, don’t cry,” Harrison said soothingly. “It’s not your fault.”

“I just feel like there was something I should have done,” Shannon said. “Something that would have helped.” This wasn’t exactly true, but it was the best way of explaining her guilt to her family.

“Shannon, don’t you ever, ever, blame yourself for this,” Harrison said, his voice almost a growl. He sighed and sniffed as though he was holding back tears. “To tell you the truth, baby girl, we have known that this was a possibility for a while, there was absolutely nothing anyone could have done.”

Baby girl. Harrison hadn’t called Shannon that in a long, long time. Not really since he had met and married Fiona. He only ever called her that when he was feeling particularly sad and wanted to feel close to his little girl.

“What?” Shannon squeaked.

“Yeah, there was something wrong in one of his first ultrasounds. We didn’t want to worry you, but there was a chance, even this late in the pregnancy, that something could go wrong.”

Shannon’s steps faltered. The first ultrasound would have been when all that shit with Jess was going down. That explained a lot.

“I’m so sorry, Daddy.”

“It’s not your fault baby girl,” Harrison said. “Now, who was that girl at the house?”

When Reggie and Shannon walked in the house, Kelly, Missy, Ben and Flick were sitting on the floor playing Uno in semi-darkness.

Releasing Reggie’s hand, however reluctantly, Shannon sat down and curled around her siblings, and they relaxed back into her their playing cards abandoned along with any pretence of maturity. They both buried their faces in her stomach and cried. They didn’t know what happened, they couldn’t understand it, but still they knew it was worth crying over.

Surprisingly, their vulnerability steadied Shannon and for the first time since she walked downstairs to see her mother lying in a pool of her own blood, Shannon felt like she could breathe again.

Shannon gestured to Reggie who sat down beside her and rested her head on her shoulder. “Can you do something for me?” Shannon whispered into Reggie’s hair.

“Anything.”

“Can you get the book for me?”

Reggie’s brow furrowed. “The book?” she asked.

“You know,” Shannon said with emphasis. “The book.

Reggie got it. “Oh, right. That book.” She stood up and started for the stairs. “Do you know where it is?”

Shannon shrugged and picked up one of the discarded hands. “In my room somewhere.”

Reggie rolled her eyes. “Of course it is.” She said. “You know Shan, you’re going to have to start picking up after yourself now that I can’t just walk through the crap on your bedroom floor.”

Shannon smiled at her broadly. “You can’t start a relationship hoping to change someone.”

“Says who” Reggie said and stuck out her tongue before walking up the stairs.

After a few minutes and a few arguments about the rules of Uno Reggie appeared at the bottom of the stairs.

“So who’s winning?” Reggie asked and passed the small, time warped book to Shannon.

“Flick,” Shannon said and turned around. “Can you play for me? I want to.” Shannon waved the book.

Reggie nodded and sat down behind Shannon and pulled her into her lap. Shannon relaxed into Reggie’s embrace as the others played, their voices blurring into nothing as Shannon stared at the unfamiliar words became as recognisable as English. This time Shannon started at the beginning.

Shannon lost track of time as she poured over the words. They blew her freaking mind, and as she read, tears welled in her eyes as the massive weight of guilt lifted from her shoulders. Right there, written in black and white were the words she had hoped to read, but didn’t think she ever could have. It wasn’t her fault.

A spell such as this requires a loss of life, as do all revival spells. However unlike the arcane spells of the dark witch, this spell doesn’t require a sacrifice. The loss does not need to come at the hands of the practitioner, nor does the spells recitation take the life. A natural death opens the way for a soul to reclaim its physical foothold in the living world, and the power of our sisters recreate the soul’s living vessel. The spell will only be successful if the powers deem the soul worthy of a second chance at life and the motives of the sister are pure.

Reggie ran a finger across Shannon’s cheek and wiped away the tear. “What’s wrong Shannon?” she asked softly so she didn’t disturb Kelly or Missy, who were snoring softly with their faces in Reggie and Shannon’s laps.

“It would have happened anyway,” Shannon said, holding back a sob. Then she remembered the feeling, instinct really, that she had before she cast the spell in the first place. She had forgotten about it in all the drama. That feeling came back with a vengeance.

“What?” Reggie asked, all the while doing that really distracting thing where she trailed her fingers up and down Shannon’s bare arms, causing goose bumps to rise all over her skin.

“It says it right there,” Shannon said and pointed down at the page after the spell that brought Reggie back. The page she was sure wasn’t there before.

“I can’t read that,” Reggie said, and pressed a chaste kiss on Shannon’s neck. “And I don’t know how you can read it either.”

“It’s magic, just like you,” Shannon said and tossed the book onto the floor.

“So, are you not sad anymore?” Reggie asked.

“No,” Shannon whispered back. “I’m still sad, I’m just feeling a little bit less guilty.”

Then the front door flew open and Jordan pranced into the room. “Fear not, my children” he sang, dragging a resigned looking Joanie behind him. “We come bearing sustenance. A delightful cuisine, native to the lands of the far east.” He took a dramatic bow and deposited a couple of bags of takeout containers in the middle of the card game.

Ben scratched his head and stared at them. “What?” he said at the same time as Flick asked, “Is he high?”

Joanie sighed and shoved Jordan hard enough that he fell over. “We bought Chinese food.”           

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 68.7K 57
Ever since Hadley Castillo lost her mother at a young age. Her father pulled away and entrusted Hadley's life with maids and a security guard. Howeve...
873K 38.7K 33
Sara has had a hard life. Going from foster home to foster home is not easy, especially if the homes are not friendly. She is used to beatings, fight...
123K 5.6K 15
Alison is just a normal college student. She doesn't have many friends and she isn't the most social. Alison wanted some company, so she got some. Al...
Bad Blood By Leah

Historical Fiction

63.7K 3.3K 41
When Queen Cassandra falls, Princess Amelia has to take over. She has to learn everything about her family and her kingdom but, in doing so, she disc...