Avenues of the Diamond (Unive...

By 4reuminct

UNIVERSITY SERIES #4. Samantha Vera from Ateneo De Manila University, the epitome of kindness, empathy, grace... More

PROLOGUE
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
EPILOGUE
Author's Note

29

2M 86.7K 182K
By 4reuminct

[Samantha Vera, you're all over the news! My gosh! What did I say about being careful, huh?!]

I woke up so early to take Arah's phone call, only to be shouted at first thing in the morning! I held my head while my eyes were still closed, suffering from a mild hangover. Last night... Right. Last night, Haze dropped me off outside my unit and asked a driver to pick him up. Nakuha na kaya niya ang sasakyan niya ngayong umaga? 

I checked the news on my iPad to see what articles were written about me, and it was just like what I expected. 

The famous model, Samantha Vera, seen on a date with a mysterious man

Samantha Vera has a non-showbiz boyfriend? 

Samantha Vera goes home with a man

Different headlines, different tones, same photos. It looked like the person who took these pictures made quite a large amount of money by selling these, huh? Well, good thing the angle of the camera didn't get Haze's face, and I covered it with my bag in other photos. My face was clear, though, because I looked back.

It was so weird to see my name on the news. Out of all issues, I had never seen myself being involved in a 'dating' article. I couldn't even call it a scandal because dating behind the camera wasn't something to be treated as malicious. Actors, models, famous people... Lahat kami may buhay. It was just that an invisible spotlight was created by the media so they could get attention from people. 

"Well, it doesn't look that bad. My arms were on his neck because I was losing balance, and his hand was on my waist..." I told Arah while looking at the photos. "They didn't see Haze, and he didn't leave any trace unless they investigated the car. I don't think they saw the car because they should have figured it out already if they did." 

[You're so calm about this, huh? I'll take care of this. Do not answer interviews! Do not tweet, do not talk! Just do nothing! We'll say that you were so sick that you almost fainted because you've been overworking yourself, so a friend of yours drove you back to your home. Convincing story.] 

"Do whatever you like. It's not like we're really dating. I'm not guilty to deny it." 

I sipped on my cup of tea while still scrolling on my iPad. Arah reminded me about my shoot before ending the call. It was just one shoot, and then I'd probably go to the gym. After that, wala na rin akong gagawin but I didn't want to go home early, so I tried to find something to do while on my way. 

"Everyone says you really have a pretty face 'no, Ma'am?" Francine complimented me while putting on my lip gloss. We were already at the studio tent in a resort that was about two hours away because we needed to do the shoot at the beach. It was for a swimsuit brand, so I'd be wearing bikinis. 

"I don't think so, but thank you," I told her after glancing at myself in the mirror. A lot changed after years and years in this industry. My features became more mature, my hair was already long, and my body became more fit. It wasn't easy to climb up, but because of my communication skills, I built up my connections with a lot of people. 

I didn't really treat myself as one of the most famous models here and internationally. There were so many people with greater potential. I just wanted to continue doing what made me happy... and what could make 'her' happy. 

If she was watching me from above, what would her reaction be? Or if she was still here, would she take over Francine's position? Siya ba dapat ang nasa harapan ko ngayon at nag-aayos sa 'kin? Or was she going to be the one behind the camera? Taking photos? Naomi would probably do anything just to see me successful. I wanted to do those things to her, too... If only... If only I still could. 

"Miss Samantha, let's go na po. Ready na," the staff called me inside the tent.

I nodded and stood up after Francine sprayed on my hair. I took off the robe and placed it on the chair before putting on my sunglasses because it was so bright outside. Mabuti na lang at maaga ang shoot. Hindi mainit masyado ang araw. 

I was wearing a red one-piece swimsuit for my first outfit. It wasn't my first time posing for clothes like these, so I already knew what to do even before they told me. They still guided me about how they wanted the photos to turn out. I had to kneel on the sand and get myself a little wet so it would look sexier. 

"Retouch!" The director shouted, so Francine came to me and retouched my makeup. Pinunasan na rin ng ibang staff ang katawan ko at ang nakuha kong buhangin sa legs ko. They were taking good care of me while I was talking to the photographer for the next pose. 

Pinahiga na rin ako, pinadapa, lahat na ng posisyon nagawa ko. Maglakad sa dagat, nagawa ko na rin, at inulit ko 'yon sa iba pang swimsuit. I did another shoot for a navy blue two-piece bikini. It had to be sexier than the other one. I suddenly remembered when I was still new to this industry. I would often land on wholesome shoots because I had a wholesome image to preserve, but after years, they realized that I could pull off a sexy shoot, too. I was also already comfortable with my body. Everything was changing because of time. 

"You didn't forget to put on sunscreen, right?" Arah asked again for the nth time after giving me water. 

"Yes, I did. I did, okay?" I repeated my answer. Fortunately, the shoot just finished before the sun could burn us. I went inside the resort's exclusive shower room to wash off the sand on my body before changing into my gym clothes. It was tiring to go after a shoot, but the preparations for the fashion show could not be skipped. 

I felt like my body had already gotten used to tiredness. I had been pushing myself too hard, so my body became stronger, too. Back then, when I was still new, there were times when I would stay in the hospital because of fatigue. I was trying my best to earn money, not just for me but for Yanna and Avrielle, too. But now... Nandiyan na si Hiro so I'd be earning for myself now. Only for myself. 

"Arah, I suddenly want a child. I'm so lonely," I told her after getting inside the van. "Avi's gone. She's with her dad now, so I'm basically alone." 

"You want a child? Then find a boyfriend! Geez. You don't even have a boyfriend, and you're thinking about building a family?" Arah scoffed, which made Francine laugh. 

"It's not that easy to find a boyfriend! And you don't have a boyfriend, too. You got dumped four months ago," I fired back. She turned to me and glared to make me shut up. I laughed and gave her a peace sign. 

"Why did you break up with your ex again? Did he hurt you that bad kaya after him, wala ka nang naging boyfriend? Even a fling? What is the reason why you couldn't replace him?" she asked, curious about my past. I didn't tell her much about the reason for our breakup. I just said it didn't work out.

"It's not that I couldn't replace him..." I looked outside the window to get lost in my own thoughts. Bakit nga ba? "Maybe I just don't want to. I feel like no one could ever treat me the way he did, and I couldn't love anyone else but him." 

"Weren't you dumped, too?" she asked again.

I looked at her and shook my head. "I broke up with him. No more questions. It just happened like that. I'm an idiot because I'm the one miserable here." 

Good thing she didn't ask questions anymore, but I could tell that she got even more curious because of what I said. Well, who wouldn't get curious, right? Ako ang nakipag-break pero mukhang ako pa rin 'yong umaasa. I was still holding on to him without realizing it. Maybe I didn't really try to move on. Maybe I was just too occupied to think about him. 

I was overthinking again, so I had to distract myself. I picked up my phone and played games while we were on our way back to Manila. Arah was doing something about my financial stuff on a new application, so she had to check my account again. Just when I was about to reach for my cardholder, I realized that I didn't have it with me. 

"What?" Arah furrowed her brows, confused. "What did you just say?" 

"My card holder is missing." I checked my bag and wallet again. My wallet was different from my cardholder para kapag naiwan ko 'yong isa, may pambili pa rin ako. I didn't notice that I lost my cardholder! I mean, I didn't use cards that often! "I don't remember how or when I lost it! The last time I brought it was..." 

I tried to remember it again. The last time I used my card was before meeting with Raylee at the hospital! That was it! Right?! Did I lose it because of the media?! Because I was running? Did someone report a missing cardholder? Oh my gosh. Did it fall into bad hands? 

"Arah, call the bank and ask if I made weird transactions. I'll try to call someone from the hospi-" I suddenly stopped when I remembered that Clyden was about to say something before I left. "Shoot!" 

Kinuha ko ulit ang phone ko at sinubukan siyang tawagan. He could be busy at the moment, but he might have picked it up. My cardholder. Was it the one I left? That jerk! Why didn't he return it when we saw each other in Queenie's room?! Maybe he forgot about it, too! 

[Yeah?] he answered the phone so casually! 

My heart skipped a beat. I felt it. This was the first time I was hearing his voice over the phone again. His voice changed a bit. It was lower. But I didn't have time to think about that. I was worried about my cards. 

"Did you see a cardholder the last time I went there? It was a brown Louis Vuitton." I tried so hard to sound casual, too, but I could feel myself trembling. 

[Doctor Ramirez!] I heard a voice in the background. [Yeah, give me a second. Hello, yes. I forgot to tell you. I have it.] 

"Thank goodness! It fell in good hands!" I released the breath I was holding earlier. I didn't expect to say it out loud! I immediately felt awkward! 

[Are you sure it did?] ]he asked in a low voice. 

"Uh, stop fooling around. I'll get it later. I'll text you before going to the hospital." I was panicking already. Arah was busy calling the bank, so I made a sign that everything was alright. 

[No. I'll text you when I'm free. I'm busy right now.] And just like that, he ended the call. 

I wanted to get mad at him, but I knew he wasn't lying when he said that he was busy! At least I knew where my cards were! Clyden wouldn't... memorize my card number, right? What would he do with them? Go online shopping? 

"It's alright, Arah. I know who has it. I'll get it later," I told her. "Ah, that made me nervous for a second. I'm so careless." 

"Who has it?" she asked out of curiosity. 

I looked at her and blinked twice. I was confused for a second, but his name slipped through my mouth. "Doctor Ramirez. Uh, Clyden. Clyden Ramirez." It was so awkward to refer to him as a stranger. 

"You know Doctor Clyden Ramirez? He topped the boards, right? He was the famous hot doctor everyone was talking about?! Wow, I'm not even surprised that you know that guy. You know everyone here." Arah clapped proudly. 

"Well..." I didn't know what to say. I didn't just 'know' Clyden. I was with him for a long time. We lived together. We were engaged. We loved each other. I knew his secrets, his miseries, the small things that made him happy, his pet peeves, his love for dogs, his personality, everything. I witnessed his hard work and his efforts, and I was glad to see that everything paid well. "Yeah... You can say that... That I know him."

"Don't you want to date him? I mean, he's hot. People are dying to be his patient. Unfortunately, he's a pedia, right?" Arah laughed hysterically. It wasn't even that funny! "So it's no use!" 

I almost choked when I heard what she said. Date him?! Date him, huh?! We already dated! For some reason, I couldn't even tell her that. I knew I shouldn't keep secrets from Arah, but the one with Clyden was too deep to explain. I couldn't avoid talking about my 'family' when telling our story. And that 'family' would include Naomi.

"He looks nice, too!" Arah complimented. 

"Looks can be deceiving," I told her while thinking about how rude Clyden treated me again! He was always like that!

I went to the gym to continue my training, and it lasted for a few hours. My body was aching all over after taking a shower and changing my clothes! I couldn't even move properly without my muscles hurting! I was so tired! I just wanted to sleep, but I was afraid that Clyden would suddenly text me to get my card holder. 

"Hello, Doctor Lana? Hi! I was wondering if I could stay in your office for a while or if I could wait somewhere else. I just got out of the gym, and I'm kind of tired, but I need to wait for someone so..." I didn't know how to explain it to her! 

[Sam! Of course! I'm seeing patients in my office right now, so you can stay somewhere else. I'll take you there. See you!] 

Okay, at least nasa hospital na 'ko kapag tumawag si Clyden. I wouldn't be rushing out from my condo. I really wanted to sleep, though. Dinala ni Arah 'yong sasakyan ko sa parking lot kaya nag-drive na lang ako papunta sa hospital. When I arrived, I went straight to Dr. Lana's office. Saktong break niya kaya sinamahan niya 'ko sa labas. 

"There are many patients in my office at the moment. You can wait in the new ward. There are empty beds there and kaunti lang ang tao kasi inaayos pa. Sino ba ang hinihintay mo? You look so tired, sleepy, and pale. You look like a patient, to be honest." 

"Well, I drank yesterday, didn't get enough sleep, went under the sun for hours, and then went straight to the gym. I think I'm about to get sick, too." I laughed it off. I wasn't feeling anything bad... yet. 

We went to a large room with small beds. Just like the other one, may designs din sa wall na pambata pero kaunti nga lang ang pasyente rito. May harang pa sa may bandang gitna kasi may inaayos pa sa mga kama. Dr. Lana made me sit there. She said it was clean and that the room was safe for me to stay in while waiting. She looked worried, and I knew she wanted me to sleep. 

"You're waiting for Clyden, right?" she asked, smiling. Nagulat ako kaya hindi ako nakasagot kaagad. "Then it's really better to wait here. He'll come here later to check on the patients." 

"O-okay. I'll just wait here. Thank you so much, Doc." I sat on the bed when Dr. Lana walked away. She talked to the nurse on the counter and pointed at me before leaving the room. Maybe she told the nurse that I was waiting for Clyden. 

The pillow was starting to attract my sleepiness. I was still suffering from a mild headache because of my hangover, so humiga muna ako, while still leaving my feet on the side so they won't touch the bed. Kalahati lang ng katawan ko ang hiniga ko habang nakatingin sa kisame. Everything was starting to get blurry. My eyes were begging to be closed. 

I fell asleep. I had a short dream, but I didn't remember what it was. I felt someone staring at me, so I slowly opened my eyes. When I saw a white ceiling, I panicked for a bit. I was feeling bad. I was feeling sick, like my body was burning up. Hindi ko alam kung dahil sa workout o ano. 

"You're up now?" 

My eyes widened when I heard a familiar voice. Napaayos kaagad ako ng upo sa kama at tumingin sa paligid para alalahaning nasa hospital ako. Damn, I really fell asleep here! I checked the time. It was already nine P.M.! How long was I asleep?! Bakit ang tagal?!

"I'm sorry. I fell asleep." I looked away because of embarrassment. Clyden was standing beside the bed with his arms crossed, wearing his white coat with a beige button-down shirt underneath. He didn't have his stethoscope and specs this time. 

"Here's your wallet." He placed my card holder on the side table. "I'll get going now. I have a paper to do." 

Kanina pa ba siya nandito? Why didn't he wake me up? Did he wait for me to wake up, or was it just a coincidence that I woke up when he was standing right next to me? I would feel really bad if he waited for me to wake up. He had things to do. 

"Okay. Me too. I'll go home now." When I stood up to get my bag, I suddenly felt a headache, so I held my head with one hand and put my other hand on the wall for support. I almost lost my balance when I felt dizzy. 

I waited for a few seconds before opening my eyes again, only to see Clyden staring at me with his brows furrowed. He wasn't saying anything. He was just observing me. I looked away and placed the card holder inside my bag before walking away. 

Just when I was about to walk past him, he held my wrist and pulled me back in front of him. My eyes widened when our eyes met.  

"Stay there. I'll get you something." His voice was cold, but his words said otherwise. 

He turned his back against me and walked to the counter while I was left there, standing. My body was hurting all over, so I sat down on the bed slowly and massaged my thigh while waiting. I was wearing an oversized brown knitted sweater and a pair of black leggings when I came here, but I was still feeling cold. 

I put my hand on my neck to feel my temperature and then on my forehead. I couldn't feel it by myself. My lips parted when Clyden suddenly held my wrist to move my hand away from my forehead and replaced it with his hand. My heart was fluttering the whole time. 

"Why are you sick?" he asked like he was blaming me for being sick. He sat down on the other bed just in front of me and placed the small tray of medicine beside him. 

"It's normal to get sick from time to time," I told him. Maybe I pushed myself too hard this time. Or I was dehydrated because I drank last night. 

"You were sick last night, too, huh?" He scoffed. 

My brows furrowed when he said that. I was confused, and I didn't get it at first, so I was just staring at him, waiting for him to say more. It looked like he wasn't planning to talk again, so I tried to figure it out myself. 

And then, I remembered Arah's words. Did she tell the media about her excuse? That I was so sick I almost fainted, so my friend drove me home. Did Clyden read that? Did he buy that excuse? 

"I didn't know you like reading showbiz news," I teased him a bit so he would talk. 

"Everyone's talking about it." His voice was still cold. It almost felt like I did something wrong to him. He sounded a bit mad. "Take this medicine and go home. Actually, it's not safe to drive, so call your boyfriend and tell him to pick you up." 

My what? 

Mas lalong kumunot ang noo ko dahil sa sinabi niya. Was he mocking Arah's excuse? He believed that it was my boyfriend, after all. Was he that dumb? Of course not! But why would he even... Well, there were pictures. It was easy to believe that I was dating. I didn't know what to say. Should I explain? But what for? Was he expecting me to explain? He would probably just dismiss my words. 

"I have no one to call," I told him that way just to be subtle about me not having a boyfriend. 

But of course! Of course, someone had to ruin it! The phone that I placed beside me on the bed earlier just rang, and both of us looked at it. Haze was calling. His name was there. Haze. Clyden saw it. He probably did because he was looking at it. 

"Hey," I answered it because I thought it was an emergency. I saw how Clyden's eyes darkened a bit. He looked away and pretended that he wasn't listening to give me privacy, but he didn't leave my sight. 

[I'm quite famous now, huh?] Haze laughed a bit. 

"Oh, right. I'm sorry about that. Did you just see them now? Your face wasn't seen, so everything should be alright for you." I kept on looking at Clyden because it was so awkward to talk about it while he was in front of me. 

[I don't actually care, but is this okay for you?]

"Well, I'm used to it. It will die down after weeks, so don't worry about it." I looked at Clyden again, and our eyes met this time. Nagulat ako kaya umiwas kaagad ako ng tingin. 

[Okay. Have you eaten dinner? Why do you sound different?] Even he noticed! My voice sounded tired. 

"Dinner? U-uh, I fell asleep, so... Hey, I'm in the middle of something. Just message me. Bye." I ended the call quickly because Clyden was already looking so pissed in front of me. I was nervous to look at him again. 

He stood up and placed the small tray on the side table, creating a harsh sound. He poked his tongue against his cheek and stared at me with those dark eyes. I didn't know what to say. He looked annoyed. 

"A friend, huh..." he whispered. 

"Sorry, I took a call in the middle of a conversation. That was my friend," I explained, but I really didn't want it to sound like an explanation. 

"You should have asked him to pick you up," he harshly said before walking away.

He had already left the ward when I stood up and placed the medicine inside my bag. I couldn't take them since I wasn't sure if it was safe on an empty stomach. I was planning to get food, but it was so hard for me to move. I wanted to go home already. 

"Arah? I feel sick. Can you pick me up at Ramirez Medical?" I called Arah while I was finding myself out. I was a bit dizzy, so I got lost in the hallway. There were so many people, too. All of them looked busy. 

[Right now?] Arah asked again. [I'm still in a late meeting. I'll call the driver.] 

I was about to say something, but I lost my balance again. I almost fell to the ground. Good thing a man held my arms and yelled at me out of shock. It wasn't Clyden, but it was a man in a white coat. 

"Uy, gagi! Okay ka lang, Sam? Nakita kita kaya lalapitan sana kita tapos bigla kang matutumba?!" Yeah, it was Ridgen. 

Umayos ako ng tayo at huminga nang malalim. What in the hell was wrong with me? Fatigue? Was this it? Or the fact that I had not eaten anything except a diet meal before going to the gym? I probably burned all of it already. 

"Sorry. I feel a bit dizzy," I told him while holding my head. 

"B... Buntis ka, Sam?" he whispered with his eyes wide. 

"You're a doctor, and the first thing you conclude when someone feels dizzy is pregnancy, huh?" Ridgen and I turned to Clyden when he suddenly appeared behind me. He walked and held my waist to support my weight. 

"Grabe naman ang top ng boards! Nakakapangliit!" Ridgen teased, laughing. "Nagjo-joke lang, e! Galit ka naman agad! Bakit ka ba galit? Pero seryoso, i-check mo kaya si Sam? Mukhang may lagnat." 

"Uh, he sent me home," I told him. 

"You're a doctor, and the first thing you do when the patient feels sick is send her home?" Ridgen fired back, smirking like he had won the lottery. 

"I see you have a lot of time in your hands, Doctor Alcazar," Clyden raised a brow and changed his tone, which made Ridgen shiver. 

Ridgen hugged himself like he saw a threat. "Nag-break lang saglit! May pupuntahan pa 'kong pasyente! Ikaw na bahala kay Sam, ah! Don't send her home! If she dies, it's your fault!" 

When Ridgen walked away, I faced Clyden. He removed his hand from my waist. I didn't know what to say. A part of me wanted to go home, believing that this would go away after a night of sleep, but I slept earlier and just felt worse upon waking up. 

"Don't go home," he suddenly whispered. "Get yourself checked. Have you eaten anything?" 

"Uh, no," I answered truthfully. He bit his lower lip and shook his head a bit. "I'm on a diet," I told him again, like it would make it better. 

"You've been on a diet ever since college," he suddenly said without looking at me. 

It caught me off-guard. Did he just talk about the past? Our past? I mean, yeah, he was so casual about saying that we were engaged. He didn't actually care. 

Because I was thinking a lot, I didn't notice him pulling me with him while walking. Hindi ko alam kung saan kami pupunta. We went to the elevator, and he pushed the one with a black button. When it opened, the receptionist stood up to see who it was, but when she saw Clyden, she suddenly sat down and minded her own business. Were we even allowed here? It didn't look like a part of the hospital. 

"V.I.P. rooms are here," Clyden explained. "Also, the board room and the executive office." 

He pulled me into the hallway. I even saw some bodyguards standing in front of the doors. Their patients were big-time, huh? He pulled me until we reached the end. He opened the brown door. I thought it was going to be a hospital room, but it looked like a large office with a bed, a sofa, and a large study desk. 

"Hello? Yes, Doc, I'm doing my paper right now, but I can go to the ward and check if you need me," Clyden was talking to someone on the phone. He was holding it in one hand while the other hand was removing his white coat. 

I looked around and saw a lot of medical stuff on the desk. There was a research paper going on on the monitor when I accidentally moved the mouse. I saw his name there. Oh, so this was his... What? Study room? His office? He was receiving special treatment after all, huh? Well, if I were his parent, I would give him his own room, too. 

"It's nothing much. I can finish this tomorrow." Clyden put his white coat on the sofa and unbuttoned two buttons of his polo. 

There was a bed on the other side of the room, so I assumed that he was staying there, but I saw him walking the dog the other day. So someone else was watching the dog for him whenever he was out? 

"Sit on the bed," Clyden told me after ending the call. 

"H-huh? Okay..." I sat on the bed, and he walked towards me, pulling his own chair with him. He sat in front of me again and used an ear thermometer to check my temperature. 

"Thirty-eight point seven," he whispered. "What were you doing all day? Since when did you start feeling dizzy?" 

"Aren't you busy?" I asked back. I was worried that I was becoming a nuisance to his work. What if there was an emergency? 

"Is that the answer to my question?" He raised a brow. He was merciless! 

Geez! He was so nice with children pero pagdating sa mga adult na katulad ko, ganito na siya makipag-usap? Good thing he took Pedia. If he didn't, his patients would probably punch him for being rude. 

"Well, I drank last night..." When I said that, I saw him roll his eyes. What the hell? "...and I woke up early to go to a shoot. I was under the sun for hours and then ate a salad before going to the gym. Felt tired and went straight here, fell asleep while waiting, and when I woke up, I felt sick." 

"Did you drink enough water?" he asked again. "I told you... If you drink, you'll get dehydrated." He stood up and left. When he came back, he was already holding two glasses of water. He placed it on the side table and got his white coat again. "I'll get you something to eat. Stay here." 

"You're busy, right? Don't worry about me. I'll just go home." I was about to stand up, but he suddenly held my shoulders and pulled me down. I lost my balance so I fell on the bed. 

He placed his knee on the bed and hovered on top of me. "I won't let you fall into another man's arms again, so just stay here. Got it?" 

________________________________________________________________________________

:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 158 27
Did she deserve this kind of love after what happened? Did he wished to be attached with this woman forever? Coffee Series
843K 29K 73
[REVISED VERSION: MAY 2024] Coffees and pancakes. Teas and waffles. Two people crossed that created ditto but with dissonance.
1.8M 54.2K 34
Broke and unemployed Jade Chimera hits the jackpot when she finds out her dead uncle left his mansion to her. One problem: her uncle's stepson, Kenji...
7.2M 231K 12
Special chapters/AUs that are written during my Write with Me session in KUMU! Join me for spoilers, polls, and prizes! Kumu: @gwy.saludes