STORE GUY || Haikyu!! (Ukai K...

By jerseynumbernine

You chance upon a handsome man behind the counter as you walk into a random store. You thought it was a one t... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9

Chapter 1

4.3K 116 40
By jerseynumbernine

3rd person POV

Nekomata (name), granddaughter of Nekomata Yasufumi, the white-haired, wrinkled coach of Nekoma High's boys volleyball team. Her grandfather retired a few years ago but recently came back to work.

Coach Nekomata may look old at first glance, but he is still very healthy, lively and happy. However, this does not calm the worries of (name) for her grandfather. So, she decided to accompany him at work.

During practices, official games, practice games, she's always there to accompany her grandfather.

She has become very close with the team. The members call her 'miss kitten'. This is because her last name, although it's spelled differently in kanji, has the sound 'neko' which means cat. The teen members decided to refer to her as 'kitten' because she's the granddaughter of their coach, the alpha cat.

Coincidentally, this name of endearment also goes well with her petite figure and cute personality. But just like any other cat, she can be feisty too.

To the team, she's like a mother, alongside their libero, Yaki Morisuke. She's protective of the boys. And the boys are equally protective of her.

🐱🐱🐱

Your POV

Today, you were headed to Miyagi with everyone in the team. They were gonna have a practice match.

You were confused why your grandfather would bring the team all the way to Miyagi to fight a team that doesn't even seem challenging, since there are many good opponents in Tokyo. You would totally understand if it was Shiratorizawa, the team that always advances to nationals. Or one of the powerhouses in Miyagi.

But your grandfather was especially excited for this one, so you didn't mind it further.

🐱🐱🐱

The bus reached its destination earlier. Your grandfather insisted that you go around the area since you've never been here before, plus the team weren't gonna do anything that needed your assistance for this day. It was okay for you to go alone since you were old enough.

You went around, looking at everything. It was very different from Tokyo. But you didn't hate it. You loved it. You used to commute to school, but you always dreamed of walking the whole way there in a town like this. You always felt that people were closer and less reserved in environments like this.

Before you knew it, it turned dark. You were walking back when you realised you didn't know where you were exactly, but you guessed you were in the area that the team was staying in since you didn't roam too far.

You called your grandfather to send someone to fetch you. You couldn't use your GPS because you're quite cheap and don't like spending money on mobile data. "Yes, I'm nearing a store named Sakanoshita store." you described your surroundings through the phone.

"Kenma, check your GPS. See if you can find Sakashita store." you hear from the other end.

"Sakanoshita, sofu." you corrected him.
(A/n: sofu is what japanese children call their own grandfather from what I searched, not sure doe :/)

"Oh. Sakanoshita, kenma. You found it? Ok go fetch her. Go with kuroo." you heard him say. "They'll be there, don't worry.".

"Okay, sofu. Thank you! You rest first, I'll be there soon." you say.

"Mm." He hums and ends the call.

When you were about to put down the phone, you received another call. Your phone read 'Kuroo Bedhead😪💞'. You answered your ringing device.

"Yes Kuroo-chan?".

"Miss kitten, it's a bit far. It'll take a few minutes.".

"That's fine. Sorry for the trouble you boys. Get here safe, don't be in a hurry." you tell them.

"It's no trouble. Stay safe also miss, it's really dark.".

"Sigh. Being pretty is quite troubling." You joke and end the call right away.

It's really cold. Tokyo can get cold too, but not this much. You start rubbing your arms, and then your hands against each other. You start blowing into your palms to heat it up. But, soon the coldness of your hands were unbearable.

You peeked inside the store from the window. They sold food and some other stuff too. They might have gloves, you thought to yourself.

You pushed the door open, and the bell on the door rang.

"We're closed for the night." The man on the counter said. You could see that he was wearing an orange hoodie and a white apron. He had blond hair, with black roots and a headband brushing it back. He looked your age, and uh-

quite handsome. You would fangirl over this store guy inside your head, but your hands were really bothering you.

It was cold in the store too but outside was worse. The man didn't seem to mind the temperature though.

He was sitting down and leaning on the counter with his eyes closed. His head was propped on top of one of his hands while his other hand was holding a cigarette.

"Sorry, but uh-" he opens his eyes as you proceeded to go inside the store. "do you happen to sell gloves?".

He doesn't answer back for a while but his eyes are on you.

"It's quite cold outside." you try to continue, hinting for a reply.

"No we don't sell gloves." He gives a straight reply as he turns off his cigarette. His voice is deep and a little husky. You were blushing inside at this fact, but it didn't show.

"Oh, o-" you start but you see him taking something from under the counter.

"You can take this." He cuts you off before you could finish. He's holding out a pair of red gloves. It looks big. It's probably his.

You were stuck in your place and was lost for words for a second as a light blush crept your face. But you quickly regain yourself and move forward to receive them with both hands.

"Thank you so much!" you said with a small bow. "I'll be waiting outside, I'll return them before I go." you say before pushing the door out.

You stand near the store's front door, and continue waiting. Your hands feel better. Still cold- but undenyingly better.

Three minutes has gone by but they're not yet there. You were about to call them to check if they were okay 'til you heard the door beside you creek. You turned to face the direction of the sound.

It was the man from before. He was holding the door open and was once again looking at you.

"You better come inside if you're gonna be staying for a while.".

"Oh-" you thought he was there to take back his gloves because he was gonna go home or something. "Thank you! Sorry for the trouble." you say as you go in and as he holds the door open for you. As you do this, you bow your head slightly trying to avoid his gaze.

You stand there awkwardly for a moment, holding your hands together. Just you. You were the awkward one. He was just cool.

"You can sit." he says and points to a wooden stool in front of the counter.

"Thanks." you say with a small smile.

He walks into the door behind the counter and you lose your sight of him.

He comes back holding two cups, sits down on his chair, and pushes one of the cups to you.

You could smell what it was. "Hot chocolate?" you say looking down on the drink, a smile creeping up your mouth.

"Mm." He says in agreement as he takes a sip of his drink, one arm propped on the table.

"Thank you." you say as you drink your cup as well.

"People from this town are awfully nice." you try to start a conversation because you felt that you had already given thanks to this guy a lot.

"Why awfully?". He doesn't ask where you were from, what you said hinted that you're not from around here.

"I feel troubling 'cause of your kindness." you say with a very small chuckle as to not weird him out.

"Don't think about it." he says with a small smirk. "Are you waiting for someone?".

"Yeah-" I answered and proceeded to tell him about being lost and calling for someone to find you, and how you couldn't use your GPS because you're cheap when it comes to mobile data.

The two of you continue to talk when the door opens and the bell rings.

"Miss kitten." you hear from behind you. You turn around to see Kenma with eyes on his switch and Kuroo with the signature bedhead. They were both in casual clothes.

"Hi you boys!" you say before turning back to the man. "Thank you so much, let me pay for the drink." you offer.

"No need. You should get going." He waves off then lights a cigarette.

You thank him once again with a bow before you leave with the two boys.

As you close the door to the store, you see that the boys aren't wearing anything warm on top.

"You boys don't find it cold?" you ask confused.

"It's quite nice, miss." The pudding haired boy says with his eyes not leaving the screen.

"Different from Tokyo, right?" you say. Kuroo nods his head in agreement. He's holding Kenma's phone with the GPS. You take a peek and see a long blue line.

Oh, it is far.

You immediately felt bad, so you impulsively say "Remind me to treat you guys.".

On the way back, you converse with Kuroo, and Kenma chirps in from time to time. Your group sharing some laughs before finally arriving to where the team was staying.

🐱🐱🐱

You open the door to your grandfather's room to check on him. "Sofu, why are you still awake?" you ask the man sitting on his bed.

"We're gonna beat those crows tomorrow." He said with a smirk.

"Sofu, why does that team excite you?" you finally ask, sitting next to him.

He proceeded to tell you about his friend and rival, coach Ukai Ikkei. How they've known each other for years and awaited to face each other in nationals. The "battle of the garbage can" he said, which mad you giggle.

"My team has never lost to his." your grandfather added proudly.

After the chat, the white haired man went to sleep. You went to your own room to do the same. The boys had a room to share while the adults had their own.

As you went to sleep, you found yourself saying-

"We're gonna beat those crows tomorrow.".

🐱🐱🐱

A/n: Ok there goes the first one 🙂 I hope you like the story so far, but then again, it's still the first one 😉

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 46.4K 52
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
315K 7K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
1M 33.7K 60
𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
682K 41.9K 106
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...