The Healer

נכתב על ידי MISSCESANIA

Liliana West is a Healer from Sandovia. She was living her life peacefully until the son of a High Lord asked... עוד

The Day Everything Changed
Chapter 1: Chasing West
Chapter 2: Setting the Kindle
Chapter 3: The Start of Something New
Chapter 4: Comfortable
Chapter 5: A Knight and A Snake
Chapter 6: Hubris Prince
Chapter 7: Bearing The Weight
Chapter 8: Company
Chapter 9: Ambush
Chapter 10: That Escalated Quickly
Chapter 11: Officially Branded
Chapter 12: Day One Conflict
Chapter 13: Visitor
Chapter 14: Day Out
Chapter 15: Pay What You Owe
Chapter 16: The Warning
Chapter 17: I Trust You
Chapter 18: A Good Idea?
Chapter 19: Didn't See That Coming
Chapter 20: The Unexpected Guest
Chapter 21: Comfortable
Chapter 22: Stand up Against
Chapter 23: Sealed
Chapter 24: Duchess of Araenon
Chapter 25 : Surprisingly, Tea Helps
Chapter 26 : Shattered Pieces of The Past
Chapter 27 : Unexpected Pair-Up
Chapter 28 : To Protect
Chapter 29 : The Infiltration (Part I)
Chapter 30 : The Infiltration (Part II)
Chapter 31 : Hesitation
Chapter 32 : Long Live the Duchess
Chapter 33 : Home
Chapter 34 : Clear
Chapter 35 : The Promise
Chapter 36 : A Specter from The Past
Chapter 37 : The Pirate King
Chapter 38 : Truth
Chapter 39 : Judgement
Chapter 40 : Near the Coast
Chapter 42 : Right on Time
Chapter 43: Sacrifice
Chapter 44: The Beginning of an End
Chapter 45: Fated

Chapter 41 : Attack

1.1K 75 6
נכתב על ידי MISSCESANIA

EVERYTHING happened so fast. One moment there was an explosion, the next thing I knew, there are other men on the ship and we are heavily outnumbered. 

Exene opened one of the door in the ship and I saw Laurent and Maynard in there. 

"What's happening?" 

"Pirate attack," Exene answered. 

"Fuck," he paced and then faced Exene. "Let me out. You need every manpower you can get. I can help," 

Exene nodded and looked at me and then to Maynard who was in the corner. 

"Stay here," he kissed my forehead. "I'll be back," 

He was about to go out when I grabbed his arm. "Will you be okay?" I scanned his face to search for anything--for worry, for whatever I can find. But all I can see is determination, and the will to protect. 

"I promised you I would protect you, didn't I?" Hinaplos niya ang buhok ko and it was the most comforting thing ever. 

"I will come back to you, I promise." He gave me a quick kiss on the lips before he stormed out of the room, leaving me and Maynard. 

I paced the room. I am not even bothered by Maynard's presence. What I feel now against Maynard is the least of my concern. Pirates are attacking and there are just four of them fighting there. I stifled a sob. Crying won't do any good, either. I need to think of something, anything. 

"The Duke will die and so are the others," 

Napalingon ako kay Maynard who was in the corner, his leg bandaged.

"They're not ordinary pirates. They're seasoned killers. All their life, all they did was to kill. And there are a lot of them. They're here to get you." 

I rushed to the door and found that it's locked. I muttered a silent curse. 

"What are you going to do? March there? Do you even know how to hold a weapon?" 

"Shut up," I glared at him and he didn't even seem to be bothered by it. 

"You're the one they want. If you're here, they'll have to protect you." 

Dahan-dahan akong napabitaw sa pinto. "What are you suggesting?" 

"Get away from here. Then your beloved Duke won't have to fight them. You realize they are heavily outnumbered, right?" 

I hate to admit it but he's right. There will be reinforcements but when will they come? How long are they going to hold off the pirates before the reinforcements arrive? But I don't agree with his suggestion either. 

I cursed in frustration. I can't do anything. 

Napahawak ako sa pinto when another explosion shook the ground. The glass window near Maynard got shattered because of the impact and the ship swayed uncontrollably causing the vials on the shelf to fall to the ground. 

Gunshots echoed at the top and the sound of flesh tearing. I could also hear grunts and thuds of men falling down. 

I stepped away from the door when we heard someone pounding on it. 

"Open up!" An unfamiliar voice.

Napaatras ako, the broken pieces of the vials cluttered on my feet. The room smelled minty and oily and everything that was inside those vials. I winced when one piece managed to wound my feet but that's the least of my concerns. Maynard too, got up, grunting because of his wound. Nakaposas ang kamay nito sa bakal na naroon. 

"Listen, Liliana. There's a gun on the drawer and the key. Give it to me," seryosong saad nito habang nakatingin sa pintuan. The man outside, whoever it is, kept pounding and any minute now makakapasok na sila. 

I immediately ran to the where the drawer is at kinuha ang susi na naroon at ang baril. I tossed the key to Maynard at agad rin niya itong nasalo.  

"Do you know how to use that?" 

I gave him a look. 

"Do you want me to shoot your other foot?"

"Point taken," he shrugged. 

The door burst open at iniluwa doon ang tatlong lalake. 

"Shoot them," Maynard said,

"You don't need to tell me," I said and pulled the trigger. I hit one of the men by his shoulder. He grunted and stepped backward. But before the others could point their guns at us, Maynard took the gun from me and shoot the three men straight in their head. I resisted the urge to throw up when I saw their brains scattered on the floor. 

"Let's get out of here," He said as he made his way around the dead bodies. 

"How is it so easy for you to kill people like that?" I muttered as I looked at the piled bodies.

"They're going to kill us if we don't. Naunahan ko lang sila. I wasn't called Apollo for nothing. Now, if you still want to see that Duke, umalis na tayo rito." 

"And why should I trust you?" 

"Because I already told you the truth. And right now, whether you like it or not, I'm the best shot you got for surviving this hell hole. Also, I can shoot people better than you do." 

I tried not to scoff as his remark and just made my way out of the bodies. Another explosion and I could hear the room we were in destroyed. Maynard gave me a I-told-you look. The ship is now slowly tilting to the other side making it harder to walk. We could still hear the grunts and loud thuds of what was happening outside. I just pray that it's not the people from our side. We passed by the office and Maynard get inside it. 

"Oh, brilliant idea! We could get totally blasted in there." I said as he rummaged through the drawers. When he finally got what he was looking for, lumabas siya ang tossed me another gun. 

"At least if the only people left standing is you and Emerich Sardon, you can't let him have you without giving a fight. And please, I know you hate me so much right now but try not to shoot me with that,"  

He said and started to limp down the narrow hallway. I stared at the gun. It was old and I can tell it was once used  and cherished by the previous owner.  I looked at Maynard who was walking slowly because of his wound. I walked faster to catch up with him. 

"Here," I said as I stretched my arm. He looked at it as if questioning why on earth am I offering my arm. 

"We could get killed by the enemy with your walking pace like that. Hold my arm and let's get out of here fast." 

He immediately held my arm and I could feel his weight on me but we kept walking. Aside from the three men Maynard shot earlier, wala na kaming ibang nakasalamuha na kalaban. Somehow, I felt relieved how they managed to hold themselves up there. But also worried because how long will they keep it up? There are only four of them for goodness' sake and there's probably an entire ship of enemies against them. 

I shook my head. Davis and Luca are coming soon, together with reinforcements. The best I can do for now is to stay safe and stay out of trouble---

A gunshot echoed and a man collapsed on the floor when he was shot in the head by Maynard. 

"We have to hurry. We have to go out or we'll be cornered in here." 

Again, I agree with him. And besides, there must be someplace above the ship where we can hide until the reinforcements come. 

Maynard took a turn and opened a room. Lumayo siya sa'kin and went to the wall facing the window. He pushed something on the wall, revealing a secret door. Inside was a set of stairs probably leading upstairs. 

I closed the door behind me and followed him to the stairs. For someone who has a wound in the leg, he sure can walk the stairs fast. Or was he just forcing himself? 

We reached a room. It was old and dusty and I have no idea which part of the ship are we. But the grunts, the sound of flesh tearing seemed closer this time. Exene ... I hope Exene is fine and everyone else too. 

I was pulled back from my reverie when I heard Maynard grunted as he sat on the floor. When I looked at him, blood is pooling on his feet. Mahina akong napamura. I looked around and lucky enough, I found a shelf with vials. Probably old stock but I need to give it a shot. 

Isa-isa kong sininghot ang mga bote to find something useful but most of them smelled rotten. But I did find something useful. I tore a piece of my shirt at agad dumalo kay Maynard. He's pale and he lost a lot of blood. Kanina pa ba nabuksan ang sugat niya? I was about to remove the bandage when a gunshot hit the vase in the room. I heard Maynard mutter a curse. 

"They're going to find us in here. There's a hidden door behind that table. You can hide there--" 

"I can't do that," 

"Liliana--"

"I am a healer and I don't leave my patients alone." I equalled his stare and eventually he sighed. 

"Felicia really taught you well," he murmured but enough for me to hear. I didn't say a word and started working on the wound. Gunshots are becoming louder and rampant unlike earlier. And anytime, someone could shot us here and get this over with. 

I shook my head.

No. I shouldn't think about that. I took a deep, shaky breath, trying to stop my hands from shaking too much. I'm sure Maynard noticed it too but did not say anything about it, which I am thankful of.  

Using one vial I found, I poured it's contents to the wound dahilan upang mapadaing siya sa sakit. Then I applied the medicine on his wound. I immediately wrapped it with a piece of my shirt. Just when I was about to stand up nang bumukas ang pintuan doon. Several guns were pointed at us and I felt my heart leap to my throat. 

"Well, well, Maynard Black and ..." the man, with a huge scar on his face, eyed me. And then his smile turned into a wicked grin. "Looks like I got lucky today. If it isn't the Duchess of Araennon," He smiled before he bowed slightly, mockingly.

"You have such brave Generals, Your Grace. Four of them against fifty of mine," he laughed. "But they were very brave, I'd give them that." 

It was like a bomb was thrown into my face. "Exene," I gasped.

"Oh, the Duke?" He looked outside as if checking. "I'm not sure if he's still alive but I'm pretty sure I drove my knife to his chest earlier." 

"No, no," My mind went blank. As if all the courage I built up earlier suddenly collapsed. Exene---no---it can't be.

"And I might have taken the Crown Prince as a hostage too. Because you know, he's the crown prince so maybe I could trade his life for the throne," He waved a lazy hand. 

"Apollo, I'm all that you need. Let her go," Maynard said. 

Apollo clicked his tongue. "Look at you, say that to me while standing and I might reconsider," he snickered. 

"What do you want, Apollo?" 

He smiled at me. "Oh, it's easy. You come with me so I can give you to Emerich Sardon and I could get the money he promised. That's it. Simple, right?" 

I took a deep breath. "I'll go with you," 

"Liliana--" Maynard called but I continued. 

"But before I go, let me heal them first. After I'm done with it, you can take me with you. I'll come to you willingly." 

Apollo put down his gun and rubbed his chin. "Oh? What if I won't" 

"Then I won't hesitate to shoot myself. I'm sure given how meticulous Sardon is, he specifically ordered you to get me to him without a scratch, correct?" 

Apollo's face hardened. I'm right. But he grinned. "But will you shoot yourself?" 

"Do you really want me to try? I don't mind doing anything right now," I spotted a small knife on the table at agad kinuha iyon. I placed the sharp edge on my leg, closed my eyes and was about to slice my leg with it when Apollo talked. 

"Fine. You can heal them first. No more funny business," he waved a hand and the men behind him dropped their guns pointed at us. I rushed to the shelf and took everything I needed. 

I resisted the urge to cry. It's not the time for that now. I need to save them first. I took a shaky breath preparing myself for whatever I might see. 

Exene, please be okay. 

* * *

Follow me on Dreame! MISSCESANIA is still my username. I will be posting some of my stories there. Stay tuned~ 

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

26.8K 1.3K 42
For some reason, Ciara, the goddess of Death left the Abadon or known as the lower realm and went up into the Mortal realm. She was hoping for a new...
24.5K 10.2K 40
Life Begins Series #1 Cassandra Monteclaro is an eighty years old woman. She lives her life alone, no husband, no child, and not even for once experi...
378K 16.9K 49
C O M P L E T E D capture (verb) :to get and hold (someone's attention, interest, etc.) :to take something into your possession...
6.9K 358 51
What if you wake up one day, and realized that everything has changed? Would you accept it? Started: 05-13-20 Ended: 06-16-20