The Woman In The Window by A...

By Kininaru_dango

Anna Fox who uses her Nikon D5500 to spy on her neighbours, she connects to the outside world through them as... More

The Woman In The Window by A.J Finn- A Summary/review

299 5 0
By Kininaru_dango

Why You Should - The Woman In The Window by A.J. FINN (2018)

To all of those who delete browsing history and use incognito tabs - "I have a feeling that inside you somewhere, there's something nobody knows about." 👍SHADOW OF A DOUBT (1943)

Harper Collins copy of the book, The Woman in the Window, poses an intriguing question 'WHAT DID SHE SEE?' I held the book in my hands and stared at it with an index finger pointing at me and said to myself "Are you talking about me?"

I will tell you what I saw. Haha

-Tuesdays are for GOD OF HIGH SCHOOL *Humming the lit opening, Y'all should watch it.  

-Fridays are for Still 2gether *Why do I even bother

-Saturdays are for Fugou Keiji - Balance Unlimited *Flexing over Kambe Daisuke -The whole plot.

-And, the rest of the days are for disappointments and Pinterest.

Living the NEET life #legalize it #theforsakenones 

For those who don't know the meaning of Neet, thank me later. (◕‿◕)

Now let's meet the NEET of the story, The Woman In the Window, Anna Fox *Had to mention it because I'm positively aware that you lost track about what I was talking about.* 🧐

👩‍⚕️Anna Fox, a psychologist stuck at home offering online counselling on a website 'AGORA', living with her cat 'Punch'. She doesn't step out due to agoraphobia(fear of being outside the home alone; being in a crowd), often mixes her medication with Merlot, plays chess online, watches classic black and white movies, drinks Merlot, spies on her neighbours from her rear window and drinks lots and lots of Merlot. Through the course of the story, the reader will learn that Anna's separated from her husband - Ed and daughter- Olivia but she talks to them often. *wink wink  

'I lift the camera to his head. My Nikon D5500 doesn't miss much,' Yes, Anna keeps an eye on her neighbours observing their daily lives, noticing the minute details. The story opens with Anna peeping at the 212, the Muller's house, a house she thinks where love goes and dies. She watches as Rita is having adult time with a contractor, the suspense build as her husband, John Muller approaches their house. Will he catch them in action? Or the Universe had decided to save the drama for some other day? That's Anna's typical Sunday. *If I find a creepy camera directed at me by someone like Anna, I'll lose it. No medical condition to justify my crime. 😒 Stalking is bad.

The trouble arrives when The Russells from Boston move in across the park, 207. A family of three, a reflection of life which she once led and she starts spying at them. On a late afternoon, Ethan, the only son of the Russells arrives with a present for Anna and introduces himself. He comes off as a soft introverted boy to Anna and she befriends him. Later, she meets 'Jane Russell' who saves her from kids chucking eggs at Anna. So, Jane takes Anna in, they sit down for a talk, play chess, sip alcohol and Jane makes a sketch of Anna. Later, Alistair Russell, the husband, comes to question Anna if she's been with Jane but Anna lies to him saying that she was by herself. A lie which becomes crucial as the story develops. In between her conversation with her family and the interactions with her online patients are woven smoothly into the story, also her tenant, David and her therapist Dr.Fielding.

Then, on November 3rd, after her online session with GrannyLizzie, she hears a scream from the Russells house, she immediately dials their number, taken from a telephone directory, Ethan and Alistair, however, brush it off that the scream didn't come from their house. But, the next day wriggle out from sleep at Nine fifty in the night, Anna hears a frenzied scream, and What did Anna See? 

Anna witness a dark patch of crimson has stained the top of her blouse, spreading to her stomach and something slender and silver lodged there, like a hilt.

Anna panics, calls 911, who by the ask her if she murdered Jane while she was trying to explain the situation to them. *911 operator was just following protocol. Aa ha. 

Anna buckles up and grabs an umbrella with her and gushes out towards the Russells across the park her umbrella wobbling, her footing hard. Anna, however, blackouts and wakes up in a hospital with Detective Little. From this point on, the story gets better.

Anna finds out that, Jane Russell isn't only fit as a fiddle but she's not the 'Jane' that Anna met, it's a whole new person even the photo frames in Russell's house had no trace of the 'Jane' Anna keeps mentioning. So, was it just an illusion? How could a person disappear overnight? Anna Fox saw what she saw and she's set to determine the bottom of it. With the Russell's marking her off as delusional and Ethan expressing signs of fear, it didn't escape the psychologist in her that the Russells are lying.

What will Anna do? IF ANNA FOX'S LENS DIDN'T MISS ANYTHING HOW DID SHE MISS JANE RUSSELL?  *READ the thriller- The Woman In the Window by A.J. Finn to find out. *Wanna talk about *cough* 'Ethan', text me.* 😉 Give that dirty mind a rest, I'm talking about the climax of the story. 

🙆‍♀️What I loved about the book - The Woman in the Window

**Firstly, I loved the writing, it's smooth and flow picks up slowly. A. J Finn fills in those details that make you immerse yourself in the plot.

**Secondly, the misleading characters were such a treat to read. As the story begins to unfold the true nature of Russells, the trauma that resulted in Anna's agoraphobia, through a captivating narrative. Anna Fox as a psychologist is an experienced professional, caring and fun person to hand out on a Sunday evening. Anna gives you some old black and white movie recommendations. 👍

"That's three halves, but you don't debate math with someone who's rotating your spine."

"Shaw also said, alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life."

"I've written about it- "Juvenile Depression and Alcohol Abuse," Journal of Pediatric Psychology (Volume 37, number 4), Wesley Brill, coauthor. *Ah, I cracked up. 😆 

Anna's grit when she said " I too am a PhD. I too can be ruthlessly logical. Next move."

💔The two things missing in my life. A PhD and logic. 🤣 *internal screaming*

**I called Anna a NEET at the beginning of the article but that's a garbage joke. Please disregard it. Agoraphobia is a sensitive issue and throughout the novel, Anna's struggle is well described and it's unthinkable to step out of the home without feeling pressurized because traumas can alter life in an unthinkable way. This applies to Ethan as well. When she hugged Ethan at the end I felt the emotion welling up between them. 😞

"I was fighting for my life. So I must not want to die. And if I don't want to die, I've got to start living."

"Some of us are made alone."

(>﹏<)

PS: Daniel Mallory is an American editor and author who writes under the name A. J. Finn. You should check out his career page. I don't know how much of the information is legit. The articles say he's got Bipolar II disorder.

↠↠↠↠↠↠↠ Finally, I would like to say that it's a good read. Not every thriller needs to be mind-boggling but THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW delivers the sweet twist you've been seeking. A little slow but you'll get there. Watch out for cat paws and online grandma's.👩🏻‍🦳

Oh, by the way, there's a drama series starring Amy Adams as Anna Fox. Don't ask me if I've watched the movie. 😁

٩(◕‿◕)۶

How I came across the book: I was gawking at the bookshelves with no new arrivals, this guy with slicked-back hair, and black round ear piercing, torn black jeans and blue jacket walked up to me with this book in his hands, those black round orbs emanating charm and the grin on his face, auburn hair, light brown skin, he left me flabbergasted. Slipped right from an anime or a music video and also by my imagination. 😛😛😛

This is Life, my expectations are expressing great depression.

(눈_눈)

I found it placed by the chair, I usually sit when I read in the bookstore. The Pages. However, I was intrigued by the plot.

😅😅 'Russells 207, Psychologist with Lens, Punch's paw, Merlot and Pills, Across the park,  Delusional, Where is Jane Russell?' Could have been alternate titles but some of them give away the plot. So let's go with The Woman in The Window by A.J. Finn

ヾ(  ̄O ̄)ツHappy reading, let me know what you think of the book. Do vote and follow. Any recommendations?😚 Plus, if you like this, try Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. 

Also, I lied about two things in the article. Bring out the Sherlock in you 🤘

*Me after finishing the book. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Whole Truth By jaxharlow

Mystery / Thriller

438K 20.2K 52
Adele knows she witnessed a murder - what she doesn't know is just how personal it is. ...
6.8K 167 26
Can you see that boy? He is my boy best friend And no, I'm not in love I shall not be in love ||poems ||english //cover is a fanart (not mine) from t...
236 115 12
This is book of stories which are written in simple words so that people of all ages can read them. these are specially made for kids. age: 13-18. Al...
1.1K 159 17
Lily Abhiantoro Ada banyak hal yang Lily suka. Berlama-lama berada di La familia-kafe kecil peninggalan ayahnya. Acara rutin di hari minggu bersama...