The Heartbreak Hypothesis

By danielletalbury

[2022 Wattys Winner] When love cynic Madison Watson starts university, she vows to follow three simple rules... More

01 - strangers and hallways
02 - students and mentors
03 - spies and research
04 - baiting and small talk
05 - malls and makeovers
06 - projects and parties
07 - first steps and tipsy tongues
08 - facebook and texting games
09 - lab rats and teacher's pet
11 - white lies and wise guys
12 - old flames and new friends
13 - dates and detectives
14 - the lover and the beloved
15 - sleep ins and science labs
16 - girlfriends and bridesmaids
17 - dancing and boy talk
18 - stolen glances and midnight whispers
19 - makeup and make outs
20 - kissing and questions
21 - birthdays and betrayal
22 - red velvet and rumors
23 - revelations and zoning
24 - dark rooms and wandering eyes
25 - sirens and sailors
26 - lattes and lies
27 - shattered hearts and bitter words
28 - grades and ghosting
29 - exs and ohs
30 - Holmes and Watson
Epilogue
bonus: tricks and treats (James POV)
bonus: Q & A, announcement, and sequel
Characters and Preliminaries

10 - burritos and butterflies

19.1K 1.2K 924
By danielletalbury

Olive was not my color.

I grimaced at my reflection in a darkened store window, quickly regretting my decision to stray away from my usual black get-up. I wanted to try something different, to be brave and bold. To push the boundaries of what I thought I knew, just like Devi had told me.

Except now I just felt like a martini garnish in jeans.

Oh well. It wasn't like anyone was paying attention to me, anyway. Not when gorgeous, sunny Holly was due to sit across from me in the booth.

Amor Oculto was a cozy corner restaurant tucked away on a sideroad downtown. I hadn't yet plucked up the motivation to check the city out, preferring the comfort of my room and microwave delights to the idea of stepping into town and actually having to talk to people. The old Madi, of course, would have turned up her nose at the recluse I'd become. But she didn't get it. She didn't understand. Keeping to myself was lonely, sure. But it was easy. It was safe. When I was on my own, no one could hurt me.

Noah and James—the latter less forthcoming in actually admitting it—had thought my group date idea was a stroke of genius. And, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it was totally perfect. Dex and Holly could explore the beginnings of whatever was brimming between them in the safety of a group, and the rest of us could buffer conversation when required. Moreover, I could keep an eye on love-sick Dex in the very likely event that he got down on one knee and proposed.

The smell of chili and freshly cooked tortillas hit my nostrils as soon as I stepped into the establishment, the latter decorated with green shrubbery and flowers as if it was a portal into the Lacandon Jungle. The mouth-watering aromas sent my gurgling stomach into a spin, simultaneously parachuting an unwelcome memory to the forefront of my mind.

Elijah and I, in the back corner of our go-to restaurant back home, sharing nachos and virgin mojitos while we laughed and whispered and planned out our lives together. A life that had disappeared like smoke off a candle.

Why did I let Noah talk me into Mexican food? Why not Italian? Or Greek? Or McDonald's? Why not literally anything else?

Forcing the memory back into the dark depths of my mind, I slid into an occupied booth at the very back of the restaurant. "Have you ordered?"

James' amused face popped out from behind his menu, one obnoxious eyebrow raised above his sparkling blue eyes. "Hello to you, too."

I instantly threw him a don't-mess-with-me glare that had basically become my signature expression. At least when James was around, anyway. But I was starving, too starving to engage in a battle of wits. And, thanks to the triggering smells dancing in the air, I was also anxious as hell.

"Not yet," Noah answered my question. "Get whatever you like. This is Tyler, by the way."

I shot my head up and noticed that, indeed, a fourth person was sitting in our booth.

Right. 'Group' date.

"Oh my gosh," I exclaimed, my sheer horror at coming across as rude melting away all traces of feigned composure. Funny—how I didn't seem to have that same fear when it came to the other three guys sitting at our booth. "I'm sorry. I didn't see you—"

"It's fine." Noah's boyfriend grinned, removing his tanned arm from across Noah's shoulders to extend a hand. "It's a pleasure to finally meet. I've heard a lot about you."

I winced again. "Oh, god."

"All good things," Tyler reassured me, flicking his dark hair away from his striking green eyes.

James didn't bother masking a sly scoff, though I wasn't sure whether it was directed at me or Tyler. Probably me.

"Holly's not here yet?" I asked absentmindedly, scouring the delectable menu. It was a stupid, stupid question, of course; she obviously wasn't there yet.

Dex fidgeted in his seat, now his composure the one rattled. "Nope. I don't think she's com—"

"She's coming, Dex," James reassured him, the kindness in his tone a far cry from the sarcasm he'd directed towards me. "It's still early."

"But—"

"She'll be here."

James' final words hit me in a way that I didn't expect. Sure, we'd all met Holly. We'd spoken to her briefly, I'd run into her in the quad. Hell, I'd been the one to invite her out for dinner in the first place. But I'd also stalked the crap out of her online. Not just her Facebook, either. Her Instagram, her Twitter. Even her LinkedIn. I'd justified it as 'research'. Not just for Dex's sake, but for my sake as well. But, now, with the thought of my test subject about to inhabit the space opposite me, I felt odd. Weird.

Creepy.

Get an internship.

My resolution flashed through my mind, and with it, my resolve hardened. I wanted to be a scientist. I wanted to work in a lab. If lying to Holly was what it took to get there, then so be it. Because I needed Devi's internship more than I needed to take into account the feelings of a girl I barely knew.

A waiter holding a tray of overflowing burritos buzzed by, the rich smell of fresh dough and spicy meats teasing our grumbling stomachs.

"Should we get some starters for the table?" an eagle-eyed Noah asked, still gawking at the passing food. "I'm sure Holly won't mind. Just some nachos or something."

James popped down his menu, scanning the restaurant for an available attendant. "Large? That should be enough for six. Do you want a drink, Madison?"

I glanced up, a request for a mojito on the tip of my tongue, but my mouth jammed stubbornly. I just couldn't say the word. Going to a Mexican restaurant? That was manageable. Triggering, but manageable. Nachos? Fine. Delicious. But ordering exactly the same thing that I used to share with Eli? Enjoying our Friday-night-special in a different restaurant, on a different day, with different people? No. I wasn't ready for that.

Pathetic.

"I'll wait for Holly," I answered simply, looking down at the house specials for something else.

I didn't see James' reaction to my stony reply, but I couldn't help but wonder how he interpreted my unexplained mood swings.

He ordered our entrée with an ungodly amount of confidence and charm for someone so young, and I didn't miss the schoolgirl giggle our pretty waitress emitted when he flashed her his pearly Colgate smile. He seemed oblivious to the irritatingly shrill sound, probably used to it following him wherever he went.

"Is it possible to get the nachos with lactose-free cheese and sour cream?" James inquired sweetly.

My eyes bounced up as the waitress produced another giggly response. James, ever-observant, threw me a knowing wink.

A fluttering stirred in my stomach, a soft smile pulling at my nude lips. Lactose-free. He remembered.

And there I'd been, willing to take one for the team. Like I had with Eli, who'd always complained that nachos without sour cream was like coffee without milk.

"I was worried I was too early," a sugary voice broke through my musing. It was airy and light, yet full of an electric kind of cheer. Holly appeared behind our retreating server, styled to the nines in a pink turtleneck, denim pinafore, and matching newsboy cap. "Now I feel bad! How long have you guys been waiting?"

Dex's mouth floundered while he took in the sight of her, seemingly unable to respond. I was preoccupied with the strange heat James' wink sent surging through my chest. The golden boy himself, on the other hand, was never caught off-guard. As quick and assured as ever, Prince Charming came to the rescue.

"Not long at all." James stood, motioning for Holly to move around him and into the booth next to Dex. Holly, however, mistook his gesture for a gentlemanly greeting. She stood on her tiptoes to plant a soft kiss on his cheek, my heart dipping when her lips grazed his skin.

Why did it dip?

James laughed awkwardly, his eyes darting to his Dex—who was left to watch on as the girl of his dreams kissed his charming, dashing, handsome best friend. A concoction of emotions washed over his face, all of them bad, bad, bad.

Nope. My assignment was not ending like that.

"Holly!" I jumped up, my ability to speak miraculously restored. "I'm so glad that you could make it!"

"I'm glad that you invited me!" Holly greeted, pulling me close to kiss my cheek, too. "Why is making friends on campus so difficult?"

I flashed Dex a coy grin over Holly's shoulder, signaling that he had nothing to worry about; Holly kissed everyone. It seemed to do the trick.

He regained his composure—if one could call Dex composed. He greeted Holly politely, then introduced her to Noah and Tyler. I sat back down with a small smile. Though I urged them not to, my defiant eyes flittered across the booth.

And instantly crashed into an ocean of blue.

James looked ... amused.

His head was tilted again, his eyes sparkling mischievously. I mirrored him, cocking my own head to silently question the source of his entertainment. But he only smirked before breaking my gaze.

After a second of bewildered pondering, my intrigued smile began to fall.

Shit.

Did James think that I kissed Holly on the cheek because of him? To make a point about him? Because that wasn't the reason. That was so not the reason.

I pulled the wine list in front of my face, blocking that smug smirk from my eye line—and maybe shielding my blushing cheeks, too. Why was I so flushed? How I wished I could dive into the menu and hide amongst its aesthetic typography.

Something featherlight brushed against my leg under the table. My stomach knotted. No—not knotted, exactly ...

Flipped?

James chuckled to himself, prying his foot away and grabbing his own menu. I might have seen him smile when I rolled my eyes. Before I could be sure, he mimicked me, shielding his face.

My stomach was still home to a chorus line of tiny ballerinas when a waitress buzzed by our table, two orange soft drinks promptly delivered—to me and James. 

Workout, internship, I reminded myself, and (most importantly) no men.

Is anyone else really craving Mexican food right now? Because it's one a.m. currently and I am DYING for some tacos. Can someone please make that happen?

What's your fav cuisine?

Please let me know which (if any) characters you're enjoying so far! Most of the book is already written, but I can totally slot some more scenes with your favorites in if the demand is there! James? Noah? Madi's mother (😂)? Let me know -->

All the best guys! Hope you're doing well.
- D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

646K 16.1K 44
Madison Rosales is not your typical 22- year-old. While everyone her age is out graduating college? She's only getting started. While everyone is out...
275K 9.4K 57
A Wattpad Featured Story! "We were together. I forget the rest." - Walt Whitman He defined time. Every event in my life is now defined by the time we...
517K 11.1K 37
| 𝟭𝟲𝘅 𝗙𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗘𝗗 · [EDITORS' CHOICE -- NOVEMBER 2020] [ONC 2020 Winner] Two strangers on separate trains, divided by uncaring glass. A bond...
3.5M 106K 65
❝ I don't have time to waste thinking about a boy who will only destroy my future,❞ I say getting closer to him with every word, maybe a little too c...