A Perfect Distraction

بواسطة Middlebencherzz

Sometimes it only takes one person to change your life, a few seconds to fall in love and one day to lose eve... المزيد

1. New York
2. Fate must really hate me
3. Lose Faith
4. New Home
5. Do I have an option?
6. Dishonesty
7. Fighter
8. Learning to ride Ducati
9. Torn Pages
10. Night Terrors
11. Chase
12. Throbbing heart
13. Devil
14. Punishments
15. Guest
16. Did he just...?
17. Hysteric
18. Unbosom
19. Reunion
20. Broken
21. Abduct
22. Rescue
23. Arouse
24. Sweet and Bitter
25. Transpire
26. Friends
27. A phase
28. Watson Enterprise
29. Haunting Memories
30. Before it's too late
31. Wrecking heart
32. Enrapture
33. Moving in
34. Torment
35. Dark Memories
36. Worst is yet to come
37. Anguish
38. Played
39. Ti Amo
40. Enamoured
41. Invitation
42. Masquerade Ball - I
43. Masquerade Ball - II
44. Caught
45. Miss you Already
46. Need him
47. Saudade
48. Mourn
49. Dinner with Malinov family
50. Surprise!
51. A well-spent day
52. Inkling
53. Confuzzled
54. Twitchiness
55. Rendezvous
56. Secret's Out
57. Falling apart
58. Unveiling Emotion
59. Nearing Inescapable Spiral
60. Training
61. Call from Devil?
62. Flying Feathers
63. Euphoria
64. Unmasking
65. Before the storm
66. Unforeseen
67. Gone
68. Hold on
69. Silver Lining
The End: A Perfect Distraction
Bonus Chapter: Wedding Bells

70. Promise

3.3K 14 0
بواسطة Middlebencherzz

Logan's POV:

I look in the mirror and stare at all the stitches and bandages that cover the scars and bruises on my body. Tyler and even a few of my men expressed their surprise at me for holding my pain and traveling miles just after a few hours of surgery to find her, but honestly, I don't feel any pain. Or maybe I'm just immune to outside pain when my insides are burning.

I sigh heavily and trace the necklace on my neck again before I put on my black tight T-shirt which I had paired with black jeans. I take out my gun from the case and open the magazine to make sure that I have loaded the gun with enough bullets. I then tuck it in the back of my jeans and grab my leather jacket before I headed downstairs to the main room of the building.

I saw all my guards getting ready with their equipment such as their pistols, their Bluetooth security earpieces, flashlights, and all the necessary items required to go on a mission. I never thought this moment, where I need back support from my men, would happen again. The last time I needed them for a mission was a year ago when a group wanted to destroy my company, other missions I always handle by myself with the help of Pat. But this time it's for saving my girl and I would do it a thousand times to always save my loved ones.

"Everything is set, Logan." Patrick announced as he came out of one of the rooms. Tyler was following close behind, a walkie talkie in his hands.

"Did you notify the agency?" I asked Pat while I put on the black beanie that I had carried from my room.

"Yes, I did. They said they will arrange everything and will be there at the spot before us." Patrick replied and put on his backpack which consisted of his laptops and evidence against Micah. I nodded in reply and ordered everyone to board the car as we were all set to go.

As soon as Lindsey gave us the information of the woodhouse in the outskirts of the city, Tyler was quick to notify Patrick who immediately searched the place on the maps. With his high tech location finder devices, we got the exact location of the place in just fifteen minutes and since then we didn't waste even a single second and got ready. I had also notified the TRIXEYE agency about everything once I reached here. I had given them a call as soon as I reached and when I informed them about the new situation they were fast to spring up for action. Patrick emailed them the details of the case 1306 with all the important evidence and they confirmed everything from their place and called for an emergency mission.

Since this whole Kingstons' death and Micah's case started with the agency, they were ready to take up all the responsibilities as well as promised to provide us with all the necessary support and back up for this mission. They told me about how they have never been able to track Micah ever since he killed Lia's parents that day. They informed me they also couldn't take any legal actions since even Lia wasn't present in Worcester anymore. The case was listed as pending ever since then but now they got the chance to reopen it and it seems like the verdict will be given today itself.

Right now we are heading to the woodhouse which seems to be like an hour of a drive from here. We all settled in our rented cars. About fifteen of my guards will be coming with me to the spot and they have all taken two big vans that we have rented an hour ago. Me, Patrick, Tyler, and one more of my guard decided to take the car. Tyler was driving and I was on the front passenger seat while Patrick and the guard sat in the back. It's been almost thirty minutes into the road and Patrick seemed to be working on his laptop nonstop.

"What are you doing?" I asked Pat, looking at him through the rearview mirror. He glanced at me for a second through the mirror before he fixed his gaze on the laptop again.

"I'm trying to jam the signals that are going to the woodhouse. Therefore we can block all the incoming and outgoing calls for them. Trying to destroy the communication system." Patrick muttered from the back.

"How do you know which signal they are using and all those details?" I asked him curiously.

"Well, I asked the agency to help me with that," Pat replied with a smile. I nodded my head and glanced outside the window and watched the scenery pass by in a blur. I can't control the anxiousness I have been feeling ever since I lost Lia from NYC. It's like a part of me is missing and I can't rest until I find it and enclose it in my hands making sure that it is safe and well protected. With me.

And I do know that if I can't find her then I will lose everything, including my mind. Although I'm confident that I can save her this time with my teamwork and the agency's help, I can't let go of that tiny fear of losing again.

A ringtone distracted me from my train of thoughts and I snapped my attention towards Patrick as he attended the phone with a deep and serious tone.

"Alright, as Logan requested earlier, please wait for us before you do something.... Right, roger that..... We will be there soon." Patrick ended the call and looked at me through the rearview again. I raised my eyebrows in question.

"They already reached. Everything is set and now they are monitoring the surroundings." Patrick said with a straight face. The agency is fast, I thought.

"How much longer?" I asked Tyler who had been driving the car with the location guide on his phone.

"Not less than twenty minutes. We are closer and it seems like the gate in front of us was a restriction but I believe the agency had used their power to open it so that we would be allowed in." I glanced straight and indeed there was a big gate guarding the entry into the other side of the road. I think this is beyond city limits.

Just after about two minutes, Patrick announced that the job he was doing has been successful and now no more signals can pass through the woodhouse. He closed down his laptop before securing it safely in his backpack. He took out another piece of material that seemed to be like a portable charger with two stiff wires sticking out.

"You said Micah uses a sat phone, right?" He asked me with his furrowed brows. I nodded from my seat and muttered a yes.

"Then I hope this will do. It's a satellite jammer. As soon as we reach the place I will switch this on and in that way all the communication signals going and coming from the woodhouse will be effectively blocked." Patrick explained and placed the little device in the hidden pockets of his brown jacket.

"Thanks, Pat." I looked at him again but this time our eye contact stayed for a little more. From his sly smirk, I believe he got my unsaid words of sincere gratitude.

Tyler took a turn to a small route that seemed to disappear in the thick woods which looked extremely dense. I examine the forest trying to spot this wooden house. Since it is noon each area of the forest is pretty much visible except for the places that are covered with the large banyan trees. Within two minutes we spotted a big black van parked alongside the road behind some big rocks.

"I guess that's the agency people," I said as I tried to focus my gaze on the minivan which was a few feet away.

A person got out of the van as soon as we approached it and then waved in our direction.

"That's them," Tyler mumbled and parked the car near their vehicle. We unfastened our seatbelts and got out at once after taking out all our essentials.

A group of men, all clad in black, wearing masks and covering their heads with a black cap rushed out of the van with their pistols in hand. They stood in a group, as if under a command. I noticed another car in front of the van and two men who were clad in some expensive black suit came out of the passenger side.

"Mr. Watson?" One of them who called out to me reached forward to shake my hand.

"I'm Alex Samuel and this is Daniel Romanov. Nice to meet you." We professionally shook each other's hands.

"Logan Watson." I nodded.

"We are leading this team under our chief executives' command. The chief will get down in a second." They announced and stepped back. Just as he finished his line the back door of the black SUV opened to reveal a man probably in his fifties. He too wore an expensive dark blue suit and approached me as soon as his eyes landed on me. I presume that is their chief. The man with whom I had just spoken went to the chief and whispered something into his ears. The two of them approached me and the old man thrust his hand for a shaking hand.

"I'm James Ruthford, you spoke to me earlier through the phone." He said in his gruff voice.

Yes, when I called the agency directly they were denying their ID at first but when I clarified about my details and briefed them about the case, the person who first attended my call passed the phone to someone she called as her higher authority. I didn't realize it was the chief executive until now. The surprising fact was that he knew about Karolia's case very well since he was also one among the members who approached Benjamin, Karolia's dad for their mission to capture Micah. He also provided me with the extra details of this case and he was the one to immediately arrange this mission.

"Ohh, yes. A pleasure to meet you. I would have liked to have much more of a proper introduction but I feel like we are running out of time. Can we start with this already?" I asked chief James politely.

"Sure, I understand your hurry. Let's get to work. Daniel, any leads?" He straight away asked his staff several questions to which they answered on point. All my men arrived and also got out, ready for the operation.

"We spotted the house, there it is." Alex pointed to what seemed like a tree to me but on closer look, it did look like a house. It's just that it is well hidden among the trunks and branches of the thick forest.

"Shall we head in?" James asked at once.

"Right away," I replied without a second thought and all the men marched together into the woods. We all were so quiet and sleek that even I was surprised by everyone's professionalism. Tyler was staying back in the car as he said he could notify us in case of any outside attack.

As soon as we reached the perimeter of the house we noticed around five guards patrolling all the entries of the woodhouse with their weapons like some daggers and some handguns. James, Alex, and Daniel signaled their staff along with my guards, and they seemed to get the signs since even they had trained the same way as these agency workers had. They all moved forward in a set of three, stealthily and manhandled each one of the thugs that were outside. One by one I noticed the men go down as our men just snapped their heads, knocking all of them out effectively.

Once the surroundings were clear, we slowly approached the building and found an open side door from the backside. We all got in like a colony of silent ants without making even a single sound to alert Micah's men. I hope Micah is indeed in the same building so that everything will come to end in just this building itself. I won't be happy if he escapes and goes loose outside again.

Just as we entered, we heard the pounding of the stairs followed by some screaming. I stilled at the sound I hear and clench my teeth and moved forward, ready to go throw down whoever that was. My anger immediately escalated as I heard Karolia's screams, struggling and begging for letting her go. My blood boiled in my veins and my fist clenched tightly. I was about to step forward and run to wherever the voice was coming from but I was immediately stopped by James.

"Hold on. We have to make sure that everyone is under our control before you can go and get her. For that we have to first catch Micah, so all other men will automatically back out once their leader is caught." My chest raised and fell in deep breaths as I tried to control my rising anger. What he said was right. I can't jump into action and spoil everything just like that.

I'm right here. Hold on, love.

Our movements became faster as the main officers saw how desperate and eager I was to go get Karolia at once. The screamings of her continued and I squeezed my eyes shut and grit my teeth to control my legs from running to her.

I saw how Alex crouched on the ground and signaled us the arrival of someone from the opposite side. We all stayed glued to the wall and when the man came into our view, Alex's leg swung forward and one of his men pinned him to the ground on gunpoint. The guy's eyes immediately zeroed in on us and was about to shout for help when Daniel smacked his mouth with the back of his gun. The guy groaned but his voice stopped as soon as he saw the gun pointed to his forehead. His movements stilled, not struggling anymore showing that he surrendered.

Daniel whispered something into the man's ears and he instantly said something back while pointing to the corridor. Daniel stood up, his gun still pointing towards the man so that he wouldn't escape.

"Their leader is in the last room from this corridor and the girl is being taken to the basement," Daniel whispered before asking our men to take care of the man on the ground. We all nodded and followed Daniel who took the first steps into the hallway. The hallway was almost clear except for the one man who was the guardian of a door at the far end. That's where Micah is. I examined the hallway and saw the stairs on the opposite side of us. James signaled the teams to split into three with himself, Alex, and Daniel giving their commands.

One of our men clapped from where we were hiding, making the man who was safeguarding the room turn towards the end of the hallway in confusion. The person looked in our direction, trying to understand who was calling him. We were all well hidden behind the wall so that the man could see none of us from where he was standing. Alex clapped again and this time we saw the man approaching us with cautious steps, his hands slowly moving towards his back, probably to get his weapon out. As soon as he came into our view and his eyes landed on us realizing that many men had gotten into their territory, his hands immediately pulled out what I assumed to be his gun. This time I came forward and smacked his hand in a flash and the gun fell, which made him defenseless. The rest of the things our men handled and soon we were moving in the hallway, freely but still cautiously. We have to be hidden until Micah is under gunpoint. We can't risk causing havoc before that as we wouldn't want Micah to escape in the ruckus.

I heard Karolia's screams again and this time, I didn't hold back. Since all the place was well under control, I signaled James that I am heading down to which he nodded. Six men followed me as I scurried down the steps into what seemed like the basement of this house. Three men came into view who looked like they were playing card games happily while drinking. One of them turned towards us and started shouting, pointing to our direction. The six men who were behind me immediately jumped into action and fought them off. Meanwhile, I scanned the hall and my eyes landed on the room from where my Karolia's screams were heard. Without wasting even a second I ran towards it and was surprised to find it open and not locked.

Nothing prepared me for the sight that I saw as soon as I banged the door open. Karolia was struggling in Vincent's arms as he was holding her down with his body. That bastard is forcing him on her. He is touching her, groping my girl!!! F***ing NO.

Red. All I saw was red flashing through my eyes and boiling in my veins.

A loud growl escaped my throat and I marched towards the bed. The next thing I know is Vincent being thrown against a wall by me. His groan was nothing compared to the loud snarl that emitted from my lips as I stormed towards him. Grabbing his neck, I pull him up from the ground and slam him against the wall before punching his nose with my closed fist.

"How" punch "F****ing" punch "dare" punch "you" punch punch "touch" punch " MY GIRL!!" I snarl at him and knee his stomach. Vincent mumbled some incoherent words and groaned loudly, struggling in my hands. I can see that he was not in his right state of mind and he reeked of some alcohol.

"Y-You aren't d-dead?!!" His voice so slurred due to the puncture I have done to his jaw. He was coughing hard, clutching his stomach.

"I won't die unless I make sure that you and your bloody father are eradicated from this world for good," I growled and resumed punching him. He was losing consciousness and his blood smeared on my hands and a few drops even splattered on my face. But that only fueled the beast in me to carry on. I dropped him back to the ground while breathing heavily. Without further ado, my hands went behind my back and grabbed the gun before placing it on his forehead. There was a slight pounding pain in the back of my head, but I didn't let that bother me now.

"This time, I won't repeat the mistake of letting you live. You don't deserve a place in this world. So goodbye Vincent." I gritted out and pulled the trigger. The sound was so intense and loud that it shook the entire room. With deep satisfaction, I watch his eyeballs rolling back and he drops down to the ground with an open mouth, blood oozing out from his forehead.

I could feel my anger calming down and that's when I remembered. I slowly turn around to face her. Karolia was sitting on her knees on the bed, completely frozen and eyes widened like saucers. I even doubt if she was breathing at this point. My heart raced for two things, first seeing the bruises and scars on her face and body. And second....I fear whether she is scared of me. Scared after seeing my peak anger take control over me, killing him so mercilessly and animalistic.

I took a sharp intake of breath and the gun fell from my hand to the ground with a loud thud. "L-Lia?" I breathed out, scared of her reaction. "B-Baby?" I called her again and took a step towards her. But her loud whimper stopped me in my tracks and it completely shattered my heart.

"I-I'm sorry-

"A-Are you f-for real?" she cut me off. Her face looked swollen and tears were streaming down her face. "P-Please tell me I'm not imagining t-things." she squeezed her eyes shut and bit her lip to stop another whimper escaping her lips.

"No, love. This isn't a dream. I'm real. What you are seeing right now is real." I say with a pained expression. Please don't tell me you're scared of me, love. I can't handle that.

Another loud sob escaped her lips and the next thing I know, which very much surprised me, was her jumping out of the bed and throwing herself at me. I faltered a bit and staggered back, but soon caught myself and wrapped my arms around her small body tightly and pressed my face into the crook of her neck.

"Log, you're alive!" Karolia exclaimed, sobbing in between. "And you came for me." She uttered, twisting the material of my jacket with her fist.

A sigh of relief left my body and I pulled her closer to me so that I was able to feel every inch of her on me, which gave me a lot of comfort and assurance. I couldn't help, but I feared she would run away as soon as she saw me killing Vincent. She has seen me lose control before but not like this. Hell, even I don't think I've ever felt anger in this intensity. It even surprised me. Therefore I would have understood if she had shown at least a tiny bit of fear. But never I expected this reaction from her. And I'm so glad for that. I didn't care. I don't give a f***ing fly about anything or anyone but the person in my arms right now.

"Yes, love. I came for you." I whispered into her skin. Few drops of tears were leaking out from my own eyes too. I can never put into words how I am feeling right now. The relief and content I feel just holding her after everything is something beyond words.

"I was so s-scared, Log," she whispered. "I was scared that s-something major happened to you. Micah and everyone said you d-died but I didn't believe it. I c-couldn't. I was afraid you wouldn't make it and I will lose you also. I....I'm.." she was breathing heavily. I press my hand on her head and silence her.

"Shhh...love. It's alright. I'm back." I whispered into her ears.

"You kept the promise," Karolia mumbled in my ear before she pulled back from me. She unwrapped her legs from my waist and I immediately missed her warmth but I didn't say and let her untangle from me. Her round brown teary eyes met mine. I could see the love, fondness, and every single raw emotion through her eyes.

"I did." I rest my forehead on hers and look into those eyes. I caress her cheeks softly and saw her eyes closed, relaxing in my touch.

"Thank you," she whispers back and opens her eyes. My lip trembles at the intensity in her look. I lean down and press my lips into her trembling ones. As soon as our lips connected, it was like I was able to breathe properly. It was like our souls reconnected again and this time, stronger. It felt surreal but so damn good. But Karolia immediately pulled back as her hands touched the back of my hair, the part where my stitches were still there. She pulled the beanie off my head quickly.

Her eyes again brimmed with tears after studying all my bruises and I couldn't even calm her down as she sobbed loudly.

"You s-suffered a lot of....because of me. I'm so sorry." she whimpers, caressing my scar on the side neck. I cup her cheeks and press a lingering kiss on her forehead.

"I'm doing alright, love. Honestly," I assure her. "I'm ready to go through this a hundred times if it means I can get you back well and safe." I then wrap my arms around her body and bring her head to my chest, embracing her. We stayed in that position for a few moments before Karolia looked behind me.

"He deserved it." She whispers in complete hatred. I nod my head and agree with her.

"Log, Where is Micah?" she asked me, wiping her tears with the back of her hand. I couldn't help but let my eyes wander again to her cuts and bruises. They harmed my girl brutally. And yet, she stays strong. I'm so damn proud and lucky to get her in my life. She's worth all the good things in this world and I will make damn sure she gets it.

"He's being taken care of by my men and the agency," I said firmly and she nodded her head but furrowed her eyebrows soon.

"Agency? Do you mean-" She asked me curiously.

"Yes, I contacted the TRIXEYE agency before coming. Therefore we can hand over all the evidence and they could close the case." She nodded her head in understanding and right at that moment we heard a clearing of the throat. We both turned around at the same time to see Daniel at the threshold of the door.

"We got Micah. Everything is under control now. James is asking for you and Ms. Kingston." He announced and took a glance at Vincent who was lying down in his pool of blood.

"Is that-?" Daniel asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Vincent, Micah's son," I answered. All three of us headed upstairs towards the room where Micah was held down. Karolia looked shocked to see all the bodies of Micah's men lying lifeless in the hallway. She stayed near me, never letting go of my hand. She is still afraid of what happened and that made me feel more protective of her.

When we entered the room all the men including my own and the agency were standing in a group with their handguns surrounding Micah who was on his knees with his hands raised in surrender. James was standing right in front of Micah and I could say that they were having a deep talk. Patrick and Tyler were also present at the far end of the room watching everything. As soon as Patrick's eye landed on me he pointed to his backpack indicating that he has all the documents intact with him. I nodded in appreciation.

"Mr. Watson, we have decided to kill him under fatal encounter and then we will hand the case over to the FBI who will finally close this case," James explained.

"I appreciate that," I answered back and looked at Micah who had an anxious look on his face.

"Any last words you want to share with him?" Alex asked from behind.

"Not for me," I said and looked beside me to see Lia watching Micah with pure hatred in her eyes.

"Ms. Kingston, how about you do the honors," James asked Lia while holding his gun out for her to take. Karolia looked at the gun and Micah. She stared at him again for a few moments.

"You don't have to do this, sweetheart. I'm your beloved Uncle." Micah said with a nervous smile. His voice was trembling as he saw Lia's death glare and the gun close to her. Lia turned up to look at me, her eyes asking for confirmation.

"This is the moment, Lia. Avenge the death of your parents, the sheriff, and all other lives he has destroyed till now. Finish the person who haunted you in your dreams for one whole year and made you run away in fear of everything. Put an end to your sufferings, love." I finished as I took the gun from James and placed it in Lia's hand.

I expected her to shiver once she made contact with the gun, just like she used to do in her training. But to my surprise, she held the gun firmly and tightly, not even an ounce of nervousness present in her eyes. She walked towards Micah and looked at him straight in his eyes before placing the gun on his forehead. I could see Micah trembling form here, his eyes pleading for Lia to let go of him. Serves you right bastard.

'Goodbye Micah, I hope you go to hell." She uttered with gritted teeth before pulling the trigger.

The sound of the gunshot vibrated in the whole building but none of us flinched. Not even Katrolia. Micah's lifeless body fell on the ground just like that with a faint thud. I release a heavy sigh of content and peace. Everything is over.

No more chasing and No more death threats. We can finally move on in peace.

The gun falls from Karolia's hand and she staggers back. On impulse, I step forward and catch her by wrapping my arms around her shoulder. A small whimper escapes her lips and Karolia turns her head to look at me, her eyes again brimming with tears. But I know it is a happy one this time.

"I k-killed him, Log," she says in a low voice.

"I know, love. I'm so proud of you." I smile at her. Karolia again turns her head to look at Micah's motionless figure on the floor.

"I finally brought justice to my parents..." Karolia whispers. "Mom and Dad can finally rest in peace..." her voice trailed off and her head hit my chest.

"Karolia?" Panic rose in my chest when I saw her limp in my arms, her eyes closed. I quickly brought my hands under her knees and picked her up in a bridal style.

"Logan, take her to the hospital. We'll take care of this." James said and I nodded my head. I walked out of the building with Karolia in my arms, Pat, Tyler, and my men following my steps.

I looked at the unconscious girl in my arms and a small smile graced my lips.

"I got you back, love. And I'll never let you go."

*******

A/N: Penny for your thoughts guys?

An epilogue and author's note will be coming soon to finally close the book.

-N & S (Middlebencherzz)

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

2.2K 384 18
Entry for the Open Novella Contest 2021 All love stories come to an end and so must Logan and Cassie's. However, as they plan to take the big and ha...
4.1K 71 43
My life has alway been surrounded by people that love each other but never around people who truly love me. Growing up the youngest boy of a family o...
4.1K 117 27
"Fuck my life.." I grunted. I can't believe my last words were going to be useless. I half expected it to be "tell mom I love her" or some sappy shit...
113K 2.8K 41
Do you ever wonder what life would be like if it were a movie? Or some sappy romance novel that you wish your life could be like but it's not? Someti...