In The Family [1]

By mia_pearson

'Saving people, hunting things the family business is a motto Harriet and her twin brother Sam had lived by f... More

In The Family (Book 1)
GRAPHICS GALLERY
(1) Pilot: 22 Years On
(2) Pilot: Searching
(1) Wendigo: Guilt
(2) Wendigo: Into the Woods
(3) Wendigo: I Hate Camping
(1) Dead in the Water: Silence Speaks A Thousand Words
(2) Dead in the Water: Troubled Water
(3) Dead in the Water: Rolling in the Deep
(1) Phantom Traveller: Nightmares

(3) Pilot: We've Got Work To Do

136 6 1
By mia_pearson

🔷 Before you read, please remember votes and comments = more chapters—no votes or asking me to "please update" comments = no chapters. Just follow me so you know I've updated instead of asking me to. Thank you.🔷

❈•≫────≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫────≪•❈

The twins had been rather fortunate, having grabbed hold of the railing before they even had the chance to fall into the river's murky depths. Both hear Baby screeching to a halt but clung on just in case. Eventually, Sam pulled himself up back onto the bridge before reaching out a hand to Harry to help her up. They catch their breath for a moment leaning against the bridge, panting. Suddenly the twins realized that their older brother was nowhere in sight. Both she and Sam glanced down over the railing into the river, making them fear the worst that Dean hadn't survived.

In her and Sam's desperation, their eyes searched through the water, but there were no signs of life, "Dean?" Sam called, his voice shaking with fear.

But there's no response.

"Dean!" Harriet yelled in fear.

"Yeah?" Just below them, a soaked and filthy Dean crawled out of the water and into the mud trying to catch his breath with a rather annoyed expression on his face,

"You alright?" Sam asked.

Dean replied sarcastically, making an 'okay' sign with his hand, "I'm super."

Both the twins began to laugh in relief. Not long after, a very muddy-covered Dean came stomping back onto the bridge. He didn't even utter a word as he opened the Impala's hood and gave it a poke around. Harriet let out a sigh, knowing her older brother was pissed about a ghost driving his car. After that, he closed the hood and leaned against it.

"Is Baby okay?" Harriet asked.

"Yeah, whatever she did to it, seems all right now," he scowled slightly, but still comes pissed off that a spirit almost tried running them all over with his car, "That Constance chick, what a bitch!"

"Yeah, so where's the job go from here?" Sam now asked, mocking his older brother, him and Harriet leaning either side of him with identical smirks and folded arms. Letting out a sound of frustration, Dean throws up his arms and flicks the wet sludgy mud off his hands. When a rather pungent smell hits Harriet and scrunches up her face from the unpleasant smell that you'd get from the likes of a sewer, "You smell like a toilet ."

Dean placed the VersaBank Mastercard in the name of 'Hector Aframian' on the motel's reception desk. The siblings are now checking into, the card resting on the handwritten ledger with him still covered head to toe in the foul-smelling mud.

"One room, please," Dean kindly insisted with a smile, with the twins who stood waiting behind him. The clerk picked up the card, glancing it over carefully.

"You guys having a reunion or something?" the clerk inquired just out of interest, peering up at the three for a moment.

"What do you mean?" Sam asked with a frown.

"Another guy, Burt Aframian. He came and bought out a room for the whole month," the clerk explained to them. Dean glanced over his shoulder, exchanging confused looks with his siblings. Now, finally have some information concerning their dad.

Harriet turned to the clerk, putting on her sweetest smile, "Would you mind telling me which room?"

-Supernatural-

November 2nd, 2005

Let's say it was relatively easy for Harriet to pry their father's room number from the desk clerk. Being a woman in this business has its perks. A little eyelash batting and flirtatious banter did wonders to get the information you needed. The motel room door swung open after Sam had picked the lock, stashed away the picks, and stood up, entering the room. They find the walls covered with maps, newspaper clippings, pictures, and sticky notes. Are several used, relatively thick leather-bound books, that familiar old musky smell used to Harriet. A small smile crept upon her lips as she picked up a book and flipped through its pages.

After switching on a light beside the bed, Dean lifted a half-eaten cheeseburger that he had found on the table. Bringing it to his nose and sniffing it before recoiling in disgust, "Well, judging by the smell of that, I'd say he hasn't been here for a couple of days."

Harriet frowned at this, shutting the book and putting it down. Her eyes observed the room once again, noticing salt on the floor going towards it for a closer look, "Salt lines. Cat's eyes shells," she murmured, dragging a finger through the line of salt, "He was worried."

"Trying to keep something from coming in?" Sam guessed, coming to stand beside his twin, as she responded with a nod.

"What have you got here?" Harriet asked. She and Sam walk over to stand on either side of their brother.

"Centennial Highway victims," he states. Harriet now frowned at the pictures before her carefully studying each one as Dean continued talking, "I don't get it. I mean, different men, different jobs, ages, ethnicities. There's always a connection, right?" all three siblings began searching on different walls in the room for any information. Sam goes to turn on another lamp, letting a small laugh.

"Dad figured it out," Sam informed, his siblings turning around and walking over to join him to see what led him to this conclusion. "He found the same article we did. Constance Welch. She's a woman in white."

Harriet frowned at this.

Dean's eyes scanned over the article before turning to check out Constance's victims. He chuckled and shook his head, "You sly dogs."

He now turned back to the twins, "All right, so if we're dealing with a woman in white, Dad would have found the corpse and destroyed it."

"She might have another weakness," Harriet suggested with a shrug.

"Well, Dad would want to make sure," Dean mentioned crossing over to Harry and Sam, "He'd dig her up. Does it say where she's buried?"

Sam is still checking the article, "No, not that I can tell. If I were Dad, though, I'd go ask her husband."

"That's if he's still alive," Harriet peered over his shoulder as he tapped the picture of Joseph Welch. It stated he was 30 at the time of the article in 1981, meaning he'd be at least 64 now.

Dean gives a nod, "All right, you two. Why don't you, uh, see if you can find an address, I'm gonna get cleaned up," turning away, he began moving towards the bathroom, Sam turning around to stop him.

"Hey, Dean?" he turned to gaze back at his little brother, "What I said earlier about Mom and Dad, I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too, I took out my anger on you, and I didn't mean to," Harriet added sincerely.

Dean holds up his hand, interrupting them, "No chick-flick moments."

The twins nodded, Sam laughing and Harriet returning a cheeky smirk.

"All right. Jerk."

"Bitch," he shot back.

"Oh, bite me, jackass," Harry returned with a roll of her eyes, she and Sam letting out a laugh as Dean closed the bathroom door.

Now with a sigh, Harriet's eyes glanced about the room in search of something, anything, clues to their father's whereabouts.

A picture taped to a mirror above the dresser suddenly catches her attention. Gently she pried it off the frame, just looking at it. She and Sam must have been six when it had been taken before they learned of all the evil lurking in the shadows of this world. John was sitting on the Impala's hood. He was holding onto a young Dean wearing a baseball cap. She and Sam were stood in front of them. Harriet smiled sadly. Noticing Sam's missing two front teeth and his bright, innocent smile in the photo, letting out a small chuckle at her hair in pigtails that she used to wear until she was nine. With another sigh, she folded it and placed it in her jean pocket.

She turns back to face her twin, leaning against the dresser, folding her arms across her chest, "I can't believe we got dragged back into this crap again?"

Sam let out a sigh, sitting down on the bed opposite her, "Me either."

"It's just I never thought we'd be hunting again," she pushed herself off the dresser and went to sit beside Sam.

He agreed with a nod, "It just feels weird, don't you think? Being on a hunt again?"

"Yeah, of course, it feels a little strange," she responded with a sigh, "Can't lie about that, of course, I miss the mystery and the thrill of it, but..."

"You just don't miss it as much as you miss having a normal life at Stanford," Sam completed for her.

She nodded, "Yeah. Don't get me wrong. I love Dean. I do, but Dad, I hate his guts sometimes we both do," Sam nodded in agreement with her, "But I just want to get this whole thing over with and find him because this isn't our life. We haven't even been gone for two days, and I'm already missing school. I miss staying up late studying, and I miss Sophie and Jess."

Sam chuckles a little, "Yeah, I miss it too. But at least we'll get back for tomorrow morning."

"You missing school too?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, I do," he answered honestly.

She goes to rest her head on Sam's shoulder, his arms automatically winding around her in a hug. Harriet sighed, hugging him back.

She goes to rest her head on Sam's shoulder, his arms automatically winding around her in a hug. Harriet sighed, hugging him back. Even when they were little and she had a nightmare, he was the first one to reach her before even their father or Dean could get out of bed. He seemed to be the only one to calm her down before explaining her nightmares. It was probably a twin thing. But that is something she can never be sure about; all she knew is that Sam made her feel sane.

She now pulled away and got up, "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going out for some fresh air," she walked towards the door.

"When did you start smoking again?" Sam asked, pretending not to see her fetch a pack of smokes and lighter from the back pocket of her jeans. He's only known her to do it when she was stressed and probably couldn't blame her for wanting to have some time to herself for a while.

"Yeah, so what, little bro, your not the boss of me," she smirked, grabbing the door handle.

"You're five minutes older than me. It doesn't count."

"Kiss my ass bitch," she offered with another smirk, giving him the finger before pushing down on the handle.

"Whatever jerk," Sam called back to her with disbelief, watching her now leave the room.

Leaning against the wall of the motel, hand hanging limply with a burning cigarette between her fingertips just having taken a puff, its vapor evaporating into the midnight sky. She had plenty on her mind to be stressed about her exam and the continuous troublesome nightmare that she always had, night after night for the last few months, that invaded her sleep. Yet she hasn't bothered to tell a soul, not even Sam, because he'll probably tell her she's being paranoid.

It always starts the same way. For some reason, she's running into Sam's apartment building late at night, kicking open the front door and barging into Sam and Jessica's room.

Her brother sat frozen on the bed at the sight of Jessica is pinned to the ceiling, blood dripping from her abdomen. Her best friend burst into flames, and she dropped to her knees. But before she can even scream, that's when she wakes up dripping head to toe in a cold sweat, shivering like a leaf.

Shortly after, Harriet returned to the motel room now that Dean was all cleaned up with his leather jacket almost on, sniffing the air as she passed him, sitting beside Sam, who was on his phone.

"Have you been smoking?" Dean asked her with a questionable gaze, finally pulling on his jacket correctly.

"Yeah, I was feeling a little stressed, so what I had was a few clouds of smoke," she returned, shrugging her shoulders.

"What have you got to stress over?"

"I'm just nervous about taking my exam," she replied honestly but convincingly. Now wasn't the time to divulge her problems and the secret she was keeping.

"Ok, right," Dean rolled his eyes, not convinced, wondering if she wasn't willing to tell him something, "Right, I'm starving, I'm going to grab a little something to eat in that diner down the street. Do you want anything?

"No," shook his head, still on his phone. Harriet was about to open her mouth to answer him, but Dean interrupted her.

"Let me guess. Your usual chocolate milkshake with a cheeseburger and fries. You think I don't remember Harry."

"You know how much I love a combo De," she returned with a smile.

It was just only a few minutes later Sam's phone rang. With a sigh, he pulls it out of his pocket to answer it.

"Dude, five-oh," Dean said urgently, "You and Harry need to take off."

"What about you?" Sam asked, with a severe yet stern expression on his face as he stood up.

"Uh, they kinda spotted me," Dean replied, "Go find Dad."

There's a click, followed by a dial tone.

Sam turned to face Harriet, who had since got to her feet, "Five-oh. We need to go."

Harriet knew it wasn't the most ideal for pointing out to Sam about his unintentional rhyme, followed him out the other door opposite the main one Dean had left through.

Now outside, the twins exchanged looks of concern for what to do, "What are we gonna do now?" Harriet asked, even if there was no need to. She knew what Sam was going to say before he answered.

"Let's go and find Joseph Welch."

-Supernatural-

It had been relatively easy to track down Joseph Welch. The lucky thing was is that he still lived in Jericho.

Harriet wrapped her knuckles upon the paint-chipped wooden door and waited for it to be answered. A few moments later, the door opened, revealing a much older man resembling Joseph Welch.

Harriet forced a kind smile, "Hi. Are you Joseph Welch?"

"Yeah," he responded gruffly, "Who wants to know?"

"Well, my name is Harriet Tolkien, and this is Sam Rowling," Harriet introduced, "We're reporters from the Jericho Herald."

The older man raised an eyebrow at them, "Do you work with that other man?"

"What other man?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, he came by about three or four days ago. Said he was a reporter."

Harriet gets the photo out of her jeans pocket, passing it to Mr. Welch, "Is this him?" she asked, pointing out her father.

Mr. Welch took a closer look at the picture before giving it back, "Yeah, he was older, but that's him.

Harriet felt somewhat relieved that her father wasn't dead, which was good news.

"That's right. We're working on a story together," Sam offered with a lie.

"Well, I don't know what the hell kinda story you're working on," Joseph told them, "The questions he asked me?"

"About your wife, Constance?" Sam asked.

Mr. Welch nodded, "He asked me where she was buried."

"And where is that again?" Harriet asked the older man.

He asked, looking rather annoyed, "What, I gotta go through this twice?"

"It's fact-checking. If you don't mind," Sam simply replied.

Mr. Welch sighed, "In a plot. Behind my old place over on Breckenridge."

"And why did you move?" Harry asked, just for more of her curiosity than for facts on the case.

"I'm not gonna live in the house where my children died," Joseph told them, his voice full of sorrow.

That seemed plausible enough, but they need a little more information to go on. Sam now asked as they all stopped walking, "Mr. Welch, did you ever marry again?"

"No way. Constance, she was the love of my life. The prettiest woman I knew."

"So you had a happy marriage?" Sam asked with a wistful smile.

"Definitely," Mr. Welch answered with hesitation.

Sam sighed, "Well, that should do it. Thanks for your time," he goes to leave, but Harriet stays rooted to the spot.

Harriet hadn't missed that flicker of hesitation in Joseph's eyes after Sam asked that last question, but it was clear he hadn't been totally honest with them. He was letting out a sigh of disbelief. She decided enough was enough and no more dodging around the subject. It was time to be a little more forceful.

Sam had noticed his sister hadn't followed him back to the Impala, went back to her, and took her by the arm, "Harry, what are you doing?"

"Just trust me on this," she harshly whispered in response before turning to ask Joseph, "Mr. Welch, did you ever hear of a woman in white?"

He turned to face the young woman and frowned at her, "A what?"

"A woman in white," she repeated.

"Or sometimes named the weeping woman," Sam added, now understanding what his sister was aiming at.

Joseph continued to stare at them both, "It's a ghost story. Well, it's more of a phenomenon, really," Harriet explained, walking towards him, "They're spirits. They've been sighted for hundreds of years, dozens of places."

"In Hawaii, Mexico, lately in Arizona, Indiana. All of these are different women. You understand. But all share the same story," Sam offered, as he also began walking towards Mr. Welch.

"See, when they were alive, their husbands were unfaithful to them," after Harriet uttered those words, Joseph stopped in his tracks, "And these women, basically suffering from temporary insanity, murdered their children," he turned to face the young woman, "Then once they realized what they had done, they took their own lives."

"So now their spirits are cursed," Sam went on to inform the old man, "Walking back roads, waterways. And if they find an unfaithful man, they kill him. And that man is never seen again."

"You think...you think that has something to do with...Constance? You smartasses!" he accused them both.

Harry shrugged, her eyes not leaving his face, "You tell me."

Guilt appeared on his face only to be replaced with that of anger, "I mean, maybe...maybe I made some mistakes. But no matter what I did, Constance, she never would have killed her children. Now, you get the hell out of here! And you don't come back!"

With a nod, Harriet turned her back to him, not fazed by his hostility in the slightest as she and Sam headed back towards the car because she expected him to react that way.

Getting into the car, Sam started her up without either of them uttering a word as he headed towards Breckenridge Road. They had some bones to salt and burn.

-Supernatural-

She was glancing out the car window. Harriet watched the sky fading from a midnight blue to a blanket of velvet black. As of now, it was getting relatively late. If she and Sam were going to make it back to Stanford in time, this job needed to be wrapped up pronto. But the first thing they needed to do, got Dean out of jail.

Pulling out her cell phone, Harriet dials 911. A moment later, she gets connected to the Jericho police station. "Uh, my name is Brooke Davis. I'm reporting some gunshots that I heard down Addison Road."

After passing on some fake information to the police, Harriet hung up and looked to Sam, "At least that'll give Dean enough time to break out."

Sam responded with a nod.

The Impala is now just turning on to Breckenridge Road when Harriet gets a phone call, "Hello?" she answered with a frown.

But she's relieved to hear Dean's voice, now putting it on speaker, "Fake 911 call? Harry, I don't know that's pretty illegal."

Harriet laughed, feeling pretty proud of herself, "Oh, you're welcome big bro."

Dean's tone becomes serious, "Listen, Harry, we gotta talk."

"Tell us something we don't know!" Sam tells him, "So the husband was unfaithful. We are dealing with a woman in white. And she's buried behind her old house, so that should have been Dad's next stop. Harriet and I are heading there now."

"Hey, would you both shut up for a second?" Dean snapped back.

"I just can't figure out why Dad hasn't destroyed the corpse yet," Harriet commented with a frown, both ignoring Dean's request to shut up.

"Well, that's what I'm trying to tell you. He's gone. Dad left Jericho," Dean tells them.

"What?" Harriet asked.

"How do you know?" Sam questioned, sharing a look with his sister.

"I've got his journal," Dean answered with a sigh.

Harriet's eyes widened in shock, "He never goes anywhere without that thing."

"Yeah, well, he did this time."

"What's it say?" Sam asked.

"Ah, the same old ex-Marine crap, when he wants to let us know where he's going," Dean replied with a groan.

"Co-ordinates," Harriet sighed in disbelief, "Where to?"

"I'm not sure yet."

Sam frowned at this, "I don't understand. I mean, what could be so important that Dad would just skip out in the middle of a job?"

"Dean, what the hell is-Sam! Watch out!"

Sam slammed hard on the breaks, but it was too late; they had already driven through Constance's ghost that had been standing in the middle of the road. But before Harriet could even open her mouth to confirm they were okay, the passenger door flew open, and she got hurled violently out of the Impala and onto the road. The door slammed shut, and the ghost of Constance appeared in her seat.

"Crap!" Harriet jumped to her feet, with the phone still pressed to her ear.

"Harry? Harry!" Dean called urgently through the phone.

Harriet watched the car speeding off down the road, "Damn it!"

"Harry!" Dean hollered into her ear, "Talk to me! What the hell just happened?!"

She now remembers that she's still on the phone, "Get to Breckenridge Road and quick!"

"Why? Tell me what happened?"

"Constance has got Sam," with that, Harriet hung up and began chasing after the Impala, hoping that she wasn't too late to save her brother.

The car was going too fast for Harriet to keep up with it, but she willed herself to keep on running. It felt like forever before she reached the old abandoned, rundown home at the end of the road, noticing Baby parked on the grass. Something Harriet was thankful for was the gun in her pocket loaded with rock salt, Constance on top of Sam, her hand inside his chest. Harriet comes to a halt before the driver's side window, which has been still open. Pulling the trigger, she shot Constance. The ghost instantly disappeared.

"Sam! Harry!"

Harriet whirled around to see Dean charging towards them. She turned to Sam and found Constance had reappeared in the passenger seat. But before she could fire another shot, Sam started up the car and uttered? "I'm taking you home."

His foot hits the gas, the Impala flying forwards, crashing into the house, leaving Harriet's mouth hanging open in shock. Did he just do that? She thought to herself. Before she can even recover from the shock, Dean goes racing past her. Quickly she moved, following after her big brother in through the hole that had now become part of the house.

"Sam!" Dean called.

He and Harriet shoved through the debris to reach Sam

"Sam! You okay?" Harriet asked urgently, going to open the car door to check he was alright.

"I think so," he answered with a groan.

"Can you move?" Dean asked with concern.

"Yeah," Sam replied with another groan that was now filled with pain, "Help me?"

Leaning through the window, Dean grabbed Sam's hand and pulled him out of the car, Harriet instantly gathering him into a hug, "Thank God Sam, you scared me!"

Sam hugged her back, then pulled away, noticing something over Harriet's shoulder. Sensing this, she turned to see Constance standing just a few feet from them, holding a large picture frame. Turning around, she glared at them and threw the picture down. A large bureau scoots quickly forward, pinning all three siblings against the car and trying to move it off, but it was no use.

Around them, the lights suddenly began to flicker, and water began cascading down the staircase. Harriet frowned with uncertainty noticing how scared Constance looked.

Her ghostly figure flickered as she approached the stairs with caution. At the top of the stairs stood two little children, a boy, and a girl. Their voices were eerily creepy as they held hands and spoke in a chorus, "You've come home to us, Mommy."

Harriet's eyes widened, now understanding what was happening. Constance is gazing at them, distress in her eyes. Suddenly they vanished and appeared behind her, wrapping her in a tight embrace. Constance lets out a shrill scream as they flickered. The almighty burst of energy gave Harriet goosebumps all over her skin, and the fine hairs on her neck stood on end. She watched on as Constance melted into a puddle with her children and disappeared forever.

After it was over, Harriet gazed at her brothers with still wide eyes. They all shoved at the bureau and successfully pushed it away. All three Winchester's went towards the spot Constance and her children had only been moments before.

"So this is where she drowned her kids," Dean said.

Sam responded with a nod, "That's why she could never go home. She was too scared to face them."

Harry raised an eyebrow at him, "Nice work, Sammy. Finding her weak spot."

Dean nodded in agreement, "Definitely, good job Sammy," he now slapped Sam in the center of his chest from where he got hurt and began to walk away.

Sam laughs through his pain, "Yeah, wish I could say the same before for you guys," glancing at his sister, "What were you thinking, Harry, by shooting Casper in the face?"

Harriet rolled her eyes in disbelief, "Oh, okay, so maybe next time it happens, I'll stand there and watch a ghost rip your heart out."

Sam snickered, and Dean rolled his eyes at the annoyance of his siblings before going over to Baby, inspecting her closely for any damage. Now peering back up at his younger brother, "I'll tell you another thing. If you screwed up my car?" he now turned entirely to Sam, "I'll kill you."

-Supernatural-

All three siblings now back in a slight damaged Impala with Sam and Dean upfront and Harriet in the backseat as she held a torch for her twin, as he had their father's journal opened to the page written with 'DEAN 35-111' and a map upon his lap using a ruler to find the coordinates.

"Okay, here's where Dad went," Sam now pointed to the area on the map, "It's called Blackwater Ridge, Colorado."

Dean offered sarcastically with a nod, "Sounds charming. How far?"

"About six hundred miles."

"Hey, if we shag ass, we could make it by morning," Dean suggested with a smile.

He notices the similar looks of hesitation in his sibling's eyes as they look back at him, just as Harriet now asks, "Aren't you forgetting something?"

"Dean...um...we," Sam stuttered slightly, now seeing the unhappiness in Dean's eyes as he turned away to glance at the road.

"You're not going?" Dean asked.

"My interviews, in like ten hours. I gotta be there," Sam tried the best he could to explain.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," he nodded his head and chuckled, forcing a grin as he glanced at them both, "I'll take you home."

-Supernatural-

A while later, Dean pulls up in front of Sam and Jessica's apartment. Sam got out of the car with his duffel bag, closed the door, and leaned over, peering through the car window.

"Call if you find dad?" Dean nodded, "And maybe Harry and I can meet up with you later, huh?"

"Yeah, all right," Dean returned.

Harriet sighed, knowing how disappointed Dean must be that they weren't coming along with him. But she knew they couldn't because, in a matter of several hours, their lives would change.

"You know," Dean now mentions, "We made a hell of a team back there."

"Yeah," Sam agreed as he and Harriet nodded.

Dean lets out a sigh, seeing that there was no convincing Sam. With that, he put the Impala into drive and took Harriet towards her apartment.

They had barely had gotten a mile down the road when Harriet noticed the flickering of street lights. Not a moment later, when the music turned to static out of the car's radio and an uneasy feeling settled in the pit of Harriet's stomach.

Dean instantly shared a look with his sister through the mirror to where she sat in the back, "We need to go back to Sam's. Something doesn't feel right."

With some credit, Dean didn't need to question his little sister's suspicions. Maybe that was because he also had felt something might be wrong. In doing so, he makes an illegal U-turn and speeds back towards Sam's apartment.

Before Dean even had a chance to put the Impala in park, Harriet was already out of the car. Harriet raced through the building, up the stairs towards Sam's apartment. Dean was just right behind her but was just too focused on paying him much attention. All she could think of was getting to Sam  ASAP. Maybe it was their telepathic bond as twins kicking in; that told her something was indeed very wrong that her brother was in mortal danger.

Harriet never considered herself a strong woman, but she channeled an unknown strength from within her that she didn't know was even there and kicked down her brother's apartment door. She was not wasting one second charging towards Sam and Jessica's bedroom.

She gets there just in the nick of time to find Jessica bursting into flames. Her best friend was pinned to the ceiling, bleeding from her abdomen. Sam was sat frozen in shock on the bed. Harriet felt her knees give out from underneath her witnessing her best friend combusting in flames, and it was rapidly spreading across the ceiling.

Neither of them was sure who had begun screaming Jessica's name first. Yet all they could do was stare on in absolute horror as the flames gobbled up her best friend.

The next thing Harriet was aware of was that of her older brother Dean, yanking her up off the floor, with an already struggling Sam tightly in his grasp. But Harriet didn't have the strength or will to work; because of the shock that had overwhelmed her-allowing Dean to drag her outside.

Harriet listened to the echoing of sirens in the distance just as they got outside and thought she had heard someone calling her name but couldn't care less if she did. She looked on at the apartment building before she got enveloped by flames.

Dean was cursing to himself. Sam was still struggling to get free, still screaming out for Jessica. Harriet was in a permanent state of shock. He could hear the fire trucks getting closer and knew he'd have to talk to the police. He settled his sister upon the grass, with his grip still tight on Sam.

"Jess! Jess!"

He goes to shake his little brother by the shoulders, "Sammy! Sam, listen to me! It's too late!"

"No!" but still in denial, Sam continued to struggle.

"Listen to me, Sammy," Dean tries telling him, "It's too late. She's gone, Sammy. She's gone."

Sam finally caved in and broke down into tears. Dean embraced him tightly, letting Sam cry into his shoulder. Dean continued to comfort his grief-stricken brother, and he glanced to his sister, who was sitting upon the grass still frozen in shock, her eyes filled with nothing but of the fire raging before her.

Dean could do nothing but close his eyes. Holding onto Sam a little tighter, he continued crying. A wave of deja vu washed over him as he recalled that night, a night that happened 22 years ago, his baby brother and sister crying in his arms while he stood watching his home burning taking his mother along with it. He hated that Harriet and Sam now had to go through what he did, to watch someone you love be ripped away from you in such a horrible manner, but he knew they'd get through it. And he would be there to guide them every step of the way.

-Supernatural-

A young woman named Sophie Anderson stood from afar, tears in her eyes, watching the commotion of all the police and fire trucks. The sounds of sirens and the horrifying sight of Sam's and Jessica's apartment building on fire will forever scar her memory. She had remembered running all the way there to find a wholly broken Sam, along with Harriet, completely frozen in shock.

There was another man with them, who must be their older brother Dean trying his best to comfort his brother and bring Harriet out of her shock, needing her to talk to the police. He had barely had the time to explain what had happened to Sophie. Only but the words he had uttered to her still dancing about in her head.

"There's was a fire. But Jessica didn't make it out in time."

Wiping a tear away with the back of her hand, she heard the click of fingers from behind and, all of time halted around her.

Footsteps approaching and the presence familiar as the reassuring hand came to rest upon her shoulder, "Sophia."

She didn't look into his eyes, "Gabriel."

"I heard what happened," he brought her into his arms. She clung to him for dear life as she wept. He didn't utter a word, his actions speaking louder than his words and holding her close and brushing her hair, letting her continue to cry.

After a few short moments, Sophia pulled away to wipe away her tears, "How Gabriel? How could this of happened?" she stared at the frozen scene a couple of meters before her.

At that moment, she glanced sideways, noticing the familiar tense yet worrisome look across his features, "What's wrong?"

He hesitated, "I think you've been through enough for tonight, big sis."

"Gabriel, what do you know?" she seethed through gritted teeth, grabbing him by the lapels of his jacket, "If it's something to do with...Sam's girlfriend. On our father's head be it you better tell me," He nodded reluctantly, "Please, just tell me."

Gabriel now let out a sigh, "That fire wasn't caused by accident."

Her eyes narrowed at him, "So demons?"

Gabriel confirmed with a nod, "Everyone up top thinks it might be Azazel who has caused it or that something is doing the dirty work for him."

"It has already begun, hasn't it?" she turned, back to gaze at the scene, her eyes on the Winchester's.

"Yeah," Gabriel confirmed with a nod.

"Then how do we stop it?" she asked.

"I don't know if we can," he responded with a shrug.

"We can't let that thing we used to call our brother walk upon this Earth," Sophia shook her head, eyes still on them, "If he gets out, bad things will happen, not only to us but to them."

"I know, sis," he let out another sigh, hand running through his dark blonde hair, "But it'll be a while before the demons are ready to do anything about breaking open those seals yet."

"Which gives us plenty of time to come up with a plan to stop it from actually happening," she nodded, biting her lip.

Gabriel lets out a noise of aggravation, now glaring at her, "You can't keep watching over them forever, Soph."

"I know."

"You need to let them live their lives," Gabriel tells her, going rest a hand upon his shoulder, "Maybe it's about time we let somebody else watch over them. How about our baby brother?"

"Castiel, you must be joking, right?" she snapped at him, "He hasn't been on Earth in centuries, Gabriel. Besides, I don't think he's quite ready for such a commitment just yet."

"Come on, sis, it might do him some good," he gently insisted.

"Okay, but when the time does come and if he screws it up looking after them. The first chance I get, I'll smite him when he at least expects it," she looks over at the Winchester's one last time, "Now let's get out of here. I can't bear to look anymore."

With the fluttering sound of wings, the two disappeared out of sight.

Graphic by Winter326

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 148 66
Jessica Coleman used to have a normal life. She went to work and lived with her best friend Rachel...life seems pretty okay until Jessica was thrown...
370K 11.1K 84
A seemingly chance encounter at the side of the road, a terrible car crash, and one infuriatingly handsome green-eyed monster hunter...life for this...
3.8K 267 200
In which a girl and her two brothers take over the family business of saving people and hunting things, but things get a little bit more complicated...
468 51 19
*This is the first book that I finished of a series that I am currently writing on Miss Literati* Saving people. Hunting things. The family business...