Back to Basics

By KaylaWoods289

"I need you" Natalia 'Nat' Thorton is a strong willed ranch owner. She runs the ranch her father left her alo... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Finding Ground
Chapter 2: Protecting Her
Chapter 3: First Impressions
Chapter 4: Her Anchor
Chapter 5: Coffee
Chapter 6: Finding her Muse
Chapter 8: Radio Trouble
Chapter 9: Discoveries
Chapter 10: Sensual Touch
Chapter 11: I Turn to You
Chapter 12: Explanations
Chapter 13: Start of an Adventure
Chapter 14: Control
Chapter 15: Getting her Way
Chapter 16: Changing it Up
Chapter 17: Let Go
Chapter 18: Home
Chapter 19: Keith
Chapter 20: Finding her song
Chapter 21: Preview
Chapter 22: Julio & Naomi
Chapter 23: Bliss Before Stress
Chapter 24: Face the Music
Chapter 25: Thunder Rolls
Chapter 26: No Reception
Chapter 27:Coming Home
Chapter 28: All In
Chapter 29: Being Happy
Chapter 30: Mountains and Desires
Chapter 31: Good Morning
Chapter 32: Misunderstanding
Chapter 33: Turn on the Radio
Chapter 34: First Show Back
Chapter 35: All Mine
Chapter 36: Relocate
Chapter 37: Reflect
Chapter 38: Interview Gone Wrong
Chapter 39: Done
Chapter 40: Safely & Securely
Chapter 41: Resolve
Chapter 42: Goodbye
Chapter 43: Two More Weeks
Chapter 44: Outlaw and Storm
Chapter 45: Happy
Chapter 46: Daddy
Chapter 47: Welcome Home Princess
Chapter 48: Breaking the news
Chapter 49: My Happiness
Chapter 50: Bright Future
Chapter 51: Decisions
Chapter 52: It's Time
Chapter 53: Finally
Chapter 54: Back at It
Chapter 55: De Ja Vu
Chapter 56: Legends
Epilogue

Chapter 7: Reminiscing

4.9K 240 3
By KaylaWoods289

Pulling back into Cass's garage, Nat heaves hoping the meeting with her manager went well. Reaching over, she grabs the bags from the market including the holy grail... Coffee. Nat couldn't believe her friend didn't have any in her house. Cass was stocked up on herbal tea... How the hell was that going to wake her up?! Walking through the garage door, she finds her best friend bouncing back and forth on her feet with a wide grin. 

"Good meeting I hope?"

Cass' bright blue eyes snap to her as she squeals loudly before running over to her making Nat drop the groceries to catch her best friend before giggling at her excitement. Cass continues crushing her and laughing with her. Pulling back, Cass' smile is still fully intact. 

"He said he likes the direction I was planning on going in."

Nat pulls back reaching for the remote to her stereo. Cass smiles before taking it and blast some country through the house. Both girls dancing and forgetting everything else. Cass wasn't sure when she presented the idea of a self proclaimed record if it would be such a good idea after only two records but Mr. Fillmore said if she had the right material, it would be a perfect time before the renewal of her contract. 

Nat continued swinging her hips putting away the groceries while Cass sang along to the Carrie Underwood lyrics. Nat smiled turning around to see her best friend finding herself yet again. Nat knew this is what she needed, just some direction to find her peace once again... and she was glad she was able to help. 

Nat was pulled out of her thoughts hearing her phone ringing. Glancing down she sees a call coming in from Keith. She whistles at Cass gaining her attention as she motions to her phone and pointing outside. Cass nods going back to the song while Nat slips out back answering her brother's call. 

"Hi Keith"

"Hows my baby sis?"

"Good, just chillin with a friend."

"Ah... the elusive friend?"

"She is... something." Nat says glancing back to find a dancing Cass still in the living room. 

"Hey quick question, if I was to be a trainers book... where would I be?"

Nat throws her head back with an exaggerated sigh. "You seriously lost your own training book?!"

"No..." His voice sounding far away as the sound of ruffling is made. Nat rolls her eyes waiting for him to stop looking in her office. "Okay.. maybe."

"Top drawer right side, key is hanging by my door." She says as she hears him move around. The sounds of keys jingling. She bites her lip as she hears him sigh on his end. "Keep in mind that is MY copy and I want it put back safely."

"Got it..." The drawer is pushed shut and he stands up making her office desk screech. "Thanks sis."

"What would you do without me?"

"Couldn't even imagine it sis... Have a good evening. Love you!"

"Love you too Keith!" 

Ending the call, she turns back to find her friend in her own world. A smile tugging at her lips before she decides to do a quick message to her newest acquaintance her in California. 

Talia (7:34 PM)  Hope your evening is going well Jax and don't overwork yourself!

She puts her phone away and goes back inside to find her friend singing to another song. Walking up, Cass turns around as Nat joins her in the song. Cass stops all of sudden making Nat halt as well. Her eyes go wide and Nat already doesn't like the look she is sporting. Cass grabs her hand and drags her down the hallway to her room. Her sound system playing in her room as well. Cass pushes Nat into a chair at the vanity and she internally groans instantly knowing what Cass wants to do tonight. However she doesn't have the heart to stop her so she huffs but allows her to start attacking her face in make up. 

An hour later, Cass turns her around and Nat feels her jaw slack slightly at the look. It reminds her of the vintage pin up girls. Her eyes smoked out while her lips are stained a bright pink. Her hair curled up and matching her friend. Cass walks out holding up big fuzzy white robes. Now that is something Nat LOVES! She snatches it and takes off her shirt leaving her in her sports bra and track pants before throwing the robe on. Glancing over, Cass is down to her lingerie set making Nat wolf whistle at her friend. 

Cass grinned before going to grab her phone and taking a photo of them. She squealed happily looking at the photo before making them pose yet again. The evening continuing in the same fashion. The world fading away as the girls got lost in old memories and creating new ones. Both ended up falling asleep on Cass' queen size bed with Cass laying her head on Nat's stomach as she laid on her back. 

Nat woke up before the sun rose as she typically does. Feeling pressure on her abdomen, she glances down to find Cass practically laying over her. Her arm coiled around her like she was a teddy bear. She gently lifted her arm and pulled out leaving her friend to groan before turning back over and resuming her peaceful dreams. Nat stood up stretching her muscles before going to the bathroom to remove the paint that was caked on her face. She disrobes and walks to her room running her fingers through the curls from last night. She throws on a thin jacket before slipping on her shoes and presuming to go for a jog in the neighborhood. 

Cass wakes up a few hours later groaning at the light coming into her room. Reaching around the bed, she huffs finding her best friend no longer there. She slowly gets up but the house is eerily quiet. She walks to her bathroom to find Nat's robe hanging on the hook. She does her normal routine before walking to the living room in hopes of finding Nat. With no luck, she goes to make her tea before hearing sounds outside. With furrowed brows, she walks to the front door before pulling it open to find Nat walking up her driveway waving at someone behind her. Turning around, Cass whistles in appreciation. 

Cass can not understand how her friend does not see how down right gorgeous she is. It is ridiculous that Nat doesn't think twice about it. She wakes up and just looks like she walked out of a photo shoot. Shaking her head at her own thoughts, she watches as Nat turns back around to see her standing there. 

"You finally awake?"

Cass pouts at her friend who comes up kissing her cheek before walking in. Closing the door, she follows her friend to the kitchen as she begins preparing her coffee. Cass slides on to the bar stool and a small smile pulls at her lips as her friend begins boiling water for her herbal tea. Nat has always cared her, it was like second nature. She doesn't even think about it. Nat walks to the fridge pulling it open before pulling out some ingredients to make breakfast for the duo. 

"Nat, it is only..." She turns to look at the clock on the wall before whining. "7:10" 

"And your point?"

"I am not even usually up at this hour?!" She throws her hands up as Nat gets up to place the tea bags in the pot. 

"Well girl, I have only have two weeks before I have to head home. Let's make the most of it."

Cass feels her chest constrict at the mention of her leaving. She frowns unintentionally which Nat catches. Walking away from the oven, she walks over taking her friend's hand into her own. The touch making her come out of her depressing thoughts. She puts on a smile that doesn't reach her eyes. 

"I agree we should make the most of it... As long as you don't wake me up early again."

Nat snorts before walking back over and begins making breakfast and getting Cass her tea followed by her coffee. "I didn't wake you. I left around 5:30 this morning. You woke up on your own accord."

Cass doesn't comment but sips her tea with a gentle smile as her friend tends to the food. She watches as Nat moves around the kitchen effortlessly. It was a trait Nat always had. Cass you to remember in college when she would make 3 am grilled cheeses to keep them going through their essays. Nat's cooking was southern born and bred. It tasted ten times better than half the restaurants in San Francisco. 

Placing the breakfast in front of them, Cass grins widely seeing a set of over easy eggs, a few strips of bacon and shredded hash browns. She took a bite and moaned making Nat glance over with a laugh escaping her but Cass didn't care. She was tasting heaven and it deserved the moan of appreciation. 

"So I know you have down time mostly for the next month or so for your record. Anything I need to know about?"

Cass wipes her hands to pull out her phone checking her calendar. Her shoulders slack not even remembering that she has an interview today. "I have an interview at noon today for the radio. Do you want to come with?"

Nat can tell Cass really doesn't want to go. "I've never seen you in live action. Let's do this!"

Hearing Nat's happiness perks Cass up as the finish their breakfast before getting ready. Due to the media, Cass requested for Clifford to take them since she knew there was a chance for paparazzi. Nat obliged and Clifford came to take the pair out. Nat watched as her friend got herself ready and the glow from the previous night had dimmed. She couldn't tell why exactly yet and didn't want to voice her opinions too soon. They get into the car, and Nat pulls out her phone finding a message from last night that she never opened. 

Jax (7:38 PM) Thank you, I hope you have a good night as well. Looking forward to that rain check soon. 

She smirked at the message making Cass pull the phone out of her hand. Cass read the messages as Nat attempted to take her phone away. The girls wrestling around making Clifford smile from the front seat. Cass begins texting back before the phone is snatched out of her hands. Nat is quick to look at her phone to find what she typed. 

Talia (11:09 am) How bout dinner instead?

"CASS!" Nat yelled making Cass laugh while Nat attempted to be stern. She just shrugged as her phone dinged back a message. She quickly opens it looking down. 

Jax (11:10 am) Sounds great, tonight at 7?

"Take a chance Nat, he is making you smile hun.." Cass says reading the message over her shoulder. Nat turns to look at her best friend before heat creeps up her neck before she decides to take a chance. 

Talia (11:12 am) Looking forward to it 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 52.4K 43
I left him. I never thought in a million years I would be the one to walk, but I was. I left the man I was madly in love with, I had no idea where I...
23.8K 1.1K 39
Elizabeth went through a tragic accident. Trying to be independent and doing everything she always did ended up being next to impossible. With her be...
11 0 9
James and Tessaira grew up in a tiny town surrounded by trees with only one way in or out. In the mountains of Pennsylvania, the two formed a lifelon...
95.5K 3K 27
❝MY SILENCE IS MY EXPRESSION OF PAIN❞ Ryder Baizen, is your typical 'bad-boy'. The platinum blonde has every girl falling to his feet, while every bo...