A Whisper of Time || Yu-Gi-Oh...

By melsforever

Book #1 of the Love Through Time series Some souls are linked beyond time and space Connected with a magical... More

A/N
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Epilogue

Chapter 15

133 1 0
By melsforever

When they arrived at the game shop, Yugi was eager to tell grandpa about Atem. Yugi didn't leave any choice to Atem before bringing him inside and calling for his grandpa. Mr Muto was inside the shop as he emerged a few moments later. Grandpa was as surprised to see Atem as Yugi was earlier. Mr Muto greeted Atem as his own grandson, embracing him tightly. Mr Muto totally refused Atem to call him anything besides grandpa. Atem was his boy too along with Yugi. Both with Yugi prepared the spare bedroom not letting Atem do anything as he was their guest. Atem felt so uncomfortable intruding like that and doing nothing. It was an eventful day, but it was far from over. Yugi acted like a little kid who was bouncing off the edges due to eating sugar in the form of sweets all day. It was late but both boys couldn't sleep so they stayed on the floor in Atem's new room staring at the night sky. Yugi had brought two sleeping bags for them.

"You know, I suspected you had feelings for Téa," Yugi couldn't drop the topic.

"I guess my emotions haven't been so hidden after all." Atem sighed, it had been useless to try to hide it from Yugi, not when they both shared a body and a mind link.

"That's not true; I don't know a lot of things, but your actions gave you away. Your first reaction, your first thought, when any of us were in danger was always about Téa." Atem avoided eye-contact. Atem had tried so hard to hide all of it but this... it was visible for all to see.

"It was for the best if it stayed hidden. It wasn't fair to Téa, she deserves so much better." Atem still felt some regret about his decision to share his feelings. It was going to hurt even more when... Atem had to go again. Atem was going to hurt the most important being for him once again.

"No, you both deserve this and I'm happy for you and for Téa." A tiny light of hope took root in Atem's chest. If only there was a chance, one chance...

They continued talking until the early hours of the new day eventually falling asleep at some point. In the morning Yugi took Atem shopping for new clothes. After switching to a more modern version of himself, Atem noticed girls staring at him and giggling. Atem was currently wearing black pants and a navy-blue shirt with rolled-up sleeves. Along with the perfect body structure, Atem was probably a pretty attractive view to the females, not that Atem cared. There was only one woman that mattered, and Atem could not wait to see her.

"You've got some fangirls, brother." Yugi absolutely loved to tease him as it seemed. Atem threw him a murderous glare which scared not his friend. "So, shall we go and see your girlfriend now?" Atem glared at him, feeling totally desperate with Yugi's impish side. Atem only sighed following Yugi in his wake.

*

Téa took extra time to make sure she was flawless. Somehow Atem's presence here and their... the relationship made her feel self-conscious about her looks and everything. Téa left her hair fall down richly on her back. Yes, this length was so much better. Téa also put on some of the new clothes she got thanks to Mai. Mai popped up this morning after Téa texted her. Téa missed the part about Atem being actually here. Téa didn't wish to involve Mai any more than she already had. Téa was still fussing in front of the mirror when the bell rang, she was frantic to open the front door. Atem's looks took her breath away; it was the first time Téa was seeing Atem as his very own self here in the present – no influence from Yugi or anything, just a normal twenty-first century boy. Téa had to give him that – Atem was incredibly hot and the change of wardrobe if anything highlighted it even more. Téa failed to notice Yugi up until now. Atem's lighter and more mischievous copy had a smug grin on his face.

"I see you finally managed to notice something besides Atem, although you're hard to blame. Every girl we bypassed couldn't take her eyes off of him," Yugi chuckled impishly and Téa sent him a murderous glare. What other girls?!

"Téa, I promise it was nothing, they just stared at me." Atem tried to explain himself.

"You mean ogled," Yugi supplied unhelpfully.

"Yugi!" Atem exclaimed in panic.

"It's okay Atem, I can understand why they'd look at you that way." Completely forgetting about his anger, Atem looked back at Téa lovingly. Atem approached her and caressed her cheek gently.

"I have eyes only for you, Téa. You're the only girl that matters to me," it still made her feel better to hear him say it.

"I know," it came as a whisper before their lips met.

Yugi rolled his eyes and groaned. Yugi totally felt like he had a bigger brother who was making out with his girlfriend at every opportunity. At last, they parted smiling at each other.

"Okay, I'll leave you two lovebirds as you have a lot of catching up to do." Yugi giggled and waved back on his way.

"I think Yugi has become even more impish than he already was. Yugi used to trick me into situations he preferred not to attend personally." Atem complained.

"Oh, and you haven't done the same oh great pharaoh?" Téa teased him making Atem blush.

"I don't know what you are talking about," Atem replied with a smile. It was true, Atem had returned the favour once or twice but Yugi had tricked him a lot more.

"Yeah, right." They decided to drop the topic and went on their way.

Téa had a plan, most similar to the one she had for their very first date. Téa wanted them to visit all these places all over again. One thing was the same – her anxiety about him leaving was still present, the irony, right? They went to the same café as the last time, getting some milkshakes. Atem wasn't as awkward with his presence as he used to be, and Atem had eyes only for his girlfriend. It was a blissful stolen time because that's what it was – a borrowed time again. Later the day proceeded as it did the first time – shopping, games but no arrogant dancers to challenge Téa for their date to finish at the docks on sunset.

"It was even better than last time." Téa was first to speak.

"Yes, I agree." Atem chuckled making her look puzzled at him. "Especially as there were no hipster dancers around to challenge you or ask you on dates." Téa lifted one brow.

"Oh, were you jealous at that time?" Téa asked smugly.

"Of course, that's why I challenged him to a duel." Atem winked at her. Atem was almost certain he could win against that guy Johnny Stepp and besides, no one was insulting his girlfriend.

"You knew you're going to win, right?" Atem's smile turned into a wide grin and Téa snorted.

They joked some more about all the things that happened in the past few years and the gods knew they had quite a few adventures. Just then a dark presence appeared and they both felt it. Atem tensed and turned around to be met by a couple of gothic-looking guys. Before Atem could ask, Téa took his hand and grasped it, giving him all the explanation, Atem needed. They were the Spell Thieves.

"I hope we don't interrupt anything." It was Gauntlez who spoke.

"Stay where you are," Atem ordered with the commanding tone of the king he was. They directed their attention at him, recognition finally sinking in.

"Oh, the infamous pharaoh, what a pleasure indeed." Reed licked his lips.

"So much power but it's already gone," Alazar sighed in disgust.

"I'm afraid you have nothing we want, pharaoh but her on the other hand... she's got something we want, and we will have." Gauntlez's smile always sent shivers down Téa's spine. It was cold and ruthless just like him. Gauntlez was the most dangerous of them all; Téa was sure he'd stop at nothing until he got it his way.

"I challenge you to a duel," Atem spoke with confidence. The magicians looked between themselves not really impressed but slightly amused.

"You mean your little card game?" Gauntlez raised his eyebrow.

"Yes, unless you're afraid you will lose."

"Oh please, your pathetic game is nothing, but I told you, we don't need you, we need her." His lackey's hands glowed with anticipation.

"You'll need to get through me first."

"What gives you the impression we'll fall for your stupid mind tricks, pharaoh?"

"It's up to you but I didn't think you might be scared of a card game." That did the trick.

"Fine, have it your way but we're playing by our rules." A deck appeared out of nowhere in his hand, so Alazar already knew about Duel Monsters.

"Tell me your rules," they were the ones to grin this time.

"Your so-called game of Duel Monsters has life points, right? Well, let's make it a little bit more interesting." Atem did not like the light in their eyes. "Every time you lose points, she'll be the one to pay. We'll get her powers slowly, drop by drop thanks to you." Atem should have known they'd use a dirty trick like that.

"I have to disagree, if I win, you'll leave Téa alone and never come looking for her again." The three of them laughed.

It was Alazar who opened his trench coat and took out an hourglass. It was different from the one Téa was wearing on her necklace. Unlike the blue frame on hers, theirs was black and it sent chills through her for some odd reason. Where had Téa seen this before?

"This, my dear pharaoh, is our agreement and as I recall correctly, you accepted our terms." Alazar motioned to the hourglass now floating in the air. "This clock will count down the time and if there's no winner by the time the last drop falls, there'll be no winner and we'll be free to take the sorceress down. She's already weakened of course. Her will is now connected to the hourglass." Téa felt rather than see the strand pulling her towards it. Oh no, what did Téa get herself into? Atem's expression darkened.

"What if I win?" Atem demanded to know.

"Well, for every life point we lose, we'll give up on a spell." Good, that was good.

Two duel disks appeared on Alazar and Atem's arms. Teana was correct, again. Reed and Alazar were nothing but lackeys ready to obey their master with sadistic pleasure. Gauntlez was the real harm here and he was willing to sacrifice one of his own. Wait, Teana had said also that Gauntlez possessed all of the stolen spells so... When the information fully sunk, Téa paled visibly. It was a trap and they knew it.

"Atem, that's a trap, don't do it." Téa tried to warn him.

"No-no, no assistance needed, sorceress."

"It's fine Téa, I can take care of myself." Atem tried to reassure her.

Both duellists took six cards from their decks. Okay, Atem could've done with a better draw, but Atem had faith in the heart of the cards as always, Atem could do this.

"I think I'll start," Atem chose to place Celtic Guardian in attack mode along with two face-down cards. When Atem placed the monster on the field, something weird happened but his opponent was far from surprised.

"Did we forget to mention, all the monsters are real? Thus, the damage would be far much better." Atem paled a bit. "What is it pharaoh, it's not like you haven't played like this in Ancient times and look, it's the sorceress who's paying the price anyway." Alazar laughed.

Atem sent an apologetic look at Téa, it was his fault Téa was in this position right now. It only mattered if Atem won now.

The duel progressed getting more intense. Atem's monster was destroyed thus sending Téa in pain and Atem hated himself for it. It was all his fault damn it. Alazar reminded Atem of some of his most sadistic like opponents he had faced. Alazar only cared about causing pain to others and that satisfied him. Furthermore, Alazar was replaceable and Gauntlez knew it. Maybe that was what Téa wanted to warn him about. Alazar wasn't a real threat. Alazar was nothing more than a pawn here, probably he did not even have much of all the powers they had stolen. This date was turning a lot uglier than the first one. At least, Johnny Stepp wasn't a real threat, but these used dirty tricks up their sleeves. Atem planned to expose them. Atem had a trap card on the field but tricked them at least twice by now, so they were not sure if it was trap or magic, and that was the point. A few turns ago, Atem had destroyed on purpose more than a handful of cards on his side and it was full of exactly what Atem needed and that was the point. The famous grin of the pharaoh appeared on his face. It showed to his opponents that Atem was dictating the game and they were merely players. Before turning the table once again, Atem glanced at Téa, his eyes speaking miles. Téa nodded in understanding, whatever Atem had in mind would hurt but Téa knew that smile and it was about time to get ugly for his opponent.

"And now I activate Exchange of the Spirit by giving up one thousand life points." The smile on Alazar's face disappeared. "This means both players need to exchange their cards with the ones already in their graveyard and play with them for the rest of the duel." Alazar got angry. The stupid punk had planned this all along.

Truth was, Atem had more cards in his graveyard and he already knew most of Alazar's. Alazar growled throwing out his hand, replacing and shuffling it with the useless cards he had destroyed recently.

"I'm not done yet, have you noticed my monster's special ability? Each time a magic card is activated, my Skilled White Magician gets a Spell Counter. He already has two from the last turn. Now I activate my Pot of Greed and you know what that means." Another light turned on and the Magician was ready to perform the ritual.

"What now?" Alazar spat on.

"I'm glad you asked. The Skilled White Magician is able to summon my Buster Blader from my hand, deck or graveyard." The magician was replaced in a puff by the soldier. "That's not all. Buster Blader's special ability allows him to gain an extra five hundred attack points for each and every dragon on the field and our graveyard. Did you just count how many of them you and I both sent to the grave recently?" Alazar's rage was all too visible. Goddamn pharaoh!

Buster Blader's attack points rose to the skies. He was only getting stronger and with no defence left, Alazar was down for.

"Now my beast, attack him with your mighty sword!" Atem commanded and observed Alazar being blasted by the attack.

A few moments later and it was over. The magic within Alazar was set free and whatever force Alazar possessed to keep him immortal disappeared and Alazar turned into dust. The other two wore grim but serious expressions. It was far from over and Atem knew they'd be back. The real treat was Gauntlez and all the magic he possessed. They were gone in a blink and Atem went to check on Téa. What a date, again. They were probably not destined to have a normal date.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

725 18 15
When Amanda does something that catches the eyes of someone that swears that she met once, and only once, she tries to find a way to use her magic to...
38.7K 1.3K 16
{Complete!} It has been three months since the Ceremonial Duel, but to Yuugi it felt like years. The love of his life was gone from his life and all...
19.3K 340 12
A hikari cannot live without a yami. A hikari without a yami has a year to live and will slowly vanish, the said hikari will become particles of lig...
6.5K 191 18
This story has recently been put in the Yugiohwattyawards for 2017! If you haven't followed them yet I would recommend it! There's always some really...