A Whisper of Time || Yu-Gi-Oh...

By melsforever

Book #1 of the Love Through Time series Some souls are linked beyond time and space Connected with a magical... More

A/N
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Epilogue

Chapter 2

262 3 0
By melsforever

There was a change in Téa's everyday life after such a long time being consumed by thoughts of Atem. In the past few days, something weird was happening. Téa thought it was only her imagination or maybe she was going entirely bonkers already. Truth be told, Téa wasn't sure. At some points, Téa didn't seem to be where she was, not simply the building but Domino itself. These strange encounters were too short and too infrequent for Téa to be sure.

Téa was going to pick up some groceries from the near supermarket when her luck betrayed her meeting her mother in the kitchen. Téa hadn't shared anything with her family. They wouldn't believe the whole story with the ancient spirit and saving the world, multiple times. They'd more like think Téa was crazy in addition to her depression and really think about looking for some special medical help. Right now, it wasn't the perfect moment to tell them what was going on with her. Besides, they were absent most of the time, coming to visit their daughter when their work allowed it as was the case now.

"Hey mum, I'm going shopping. Is there anything I should get?" Téa tried to sound normal, as she once did.

"No," the older woman answered. She looked at her daughter; something was terribly wrong, and she knew it but Téa refused to share with them. "Darling, what's going on?" Téa tensed before replying to her mother.

"Nothing." Téa lied.

"Talk to me, my dear. I know something is going on in your life right now. You're young and inexperienced, it's easy to get upset at your age." Maybe she had more than a clue to what was Téa's problem. "Is it about a boy?" Téa stopped in place, her back to her mother.

"It's complicated, mum." Téa murmured.

"Why? If you're so upset... why don't you tell the guy?" Téa flinched because that was the main problem here. Téa couldn't tell him.

"I can't mum, because he's gone," Téa said before walking away.

The older Gardner was confused. Who was the boy anyway? And by gone, did Téa meant he moved somewhere else or... She feared it might be the other one. Téa wouldn't be that hurt if he was simply living somewhere else. Téa could've simply gone there, not stay here and mourn him alone. However, all of her friends were fine: Joey, Yugi, Tristan... he was someone else then. She thought a little bit finding no clue whatsoever.

*

Téa was in the shop thinking about the conversation. There was no way her mother knew Atem. He shared Yugi's body back then and he appeared only in duels usually. Atem was there on their so-called 'dates' though. Téa remembered the first one. It was Yugi's idea and it was quite amusing how he actually tricked him. The poor pharaoh had no idea what had happened. One moment Atem was in the safety of the Millennium Puzzle, then the next he was exposed and completely unable to switch places; Yugi had locked himself in the puzzle leaving Atem with no choice. That was when Téa truly started to fall in love. Before that... Téa was feeling something was odd. When duelling Yugi was becoming more confident and with a powerful aura around him. Atem was an enigma to her. That day Téa truly had no idea what to do and how she could help him. Atem was such a mystery to her; one that attracts you like a magnet and you feel intoxicated in a way. Eventually, Téa did what normal couples would do, and they had fun. It was one of her best days ever. Maybe except for Johnny Step's intervention and rather ruining their moment at the quay. Sometimes Téa wondered what else could've he said if it wasn't for her cheating opponent. Atem, however, stood for her without a doubt proposing to finish him instead. His proposal sent sparkles all through her. However, Téa would never know if he was feeling the same about her. Their second date was after Kaiba's Battle City tournament and he had won all three Egyptian God Cards. Téa already feared the thought of losing him. It looked like deep down Téa knew what would happen and that she wouldn't be the same without him. Yet nothing could've prepared her for the next villain they faced. The thing with Dartz and Atlantis was all too real and creepy. Even Kaiba did help really this time. When they lost Yugi's soul the pharaoh was devasted. Téa was the one to put on a brave face and try to be her usual self. Atem had been more or less like her now. However, Atem was blaming himself for his actions wishing the seal taking him not Yugi. Shamefully, Téa had to admit she was a little bit grateful the Orichalcos didn't take him as intended. The time they spent separated from the others was actually... nice because Téa was alone with him. Atem always showed he cared about her, somehow, Atem always seemed to think about her first then the others. Téa was so enraged during the duel with Weevil, that sneaky little insect. Even after he lost, Atem kept attacking completely oblivious to anything. Atem had to stop so Téa interrupted his next attack, forcing him to stop with her hug. Téa knew he would never hurt her and was right. Téa calmed him, a little wave calming a hurricane, but she did it. Soon after that happened the train crash in the wild. It was still a mystery to her how did they survive through this. It had to be magic. No one could survive after such an accident and falling off a cliff. Téa missed their adventures tough. It might've been pretty dangerous sometimes, but they were together and that's what was important. Téa had a sad smile on her face. It was time to break the recalling of long-gone memories.

Téa picked up some pasta from the shelf when someone intruded her personal space very unceremoniously. Téa recognised her instantly – Mai Valentine herself. This girl had an enormous ego and had no scruples about entering personal space or anything. Mai was a good person overall but sometimes it was hard to cope with her. How Joey had a crush on her was hard to understand. On second thought, Téa cast a glance through her. Mai had a curvy lustrous body and was wearing one of her iconic corset tops with a sleeveless jacket and a skirt above her knees. The body went along with long blonde hair and astonishing purple eyes. Needless to say, Mai was quite the beauty. So, no, it wasn't so hard to imagine why Joey would like her after all.

"Hi Mai," Téa greeted her unenthusiastically.

"Hey, Téa!" Mai almost screamed at her face. Yeah, as being one of the few girls in the gang, Mai thought of her as her buddy. "I haven't seen you in ages!" Mai scanned her quickly. "Finally decided to change that hairstyle! Now it's so much better and it suits you." Talking about indiscreet, Mai was the queen of honesty. That honesty of saying exactly what she thought.

"Yeah, thanks." Téa desperately hoped the blonde would leave her soon.

"So, wanna chit-chat a bit somewhere?"

"Uh, no. Sorry, Mai, I'm not into the mood right now." Téa rejected her as polite as possible. Mai's face changed.

"You know, you're not the same Téa. Are you still upset about his... departure?" Mai wasn't that familiar with Atem and everything that happened but still knew pretty enough.

"I don't want to talk about this." The blonde girl got annoyed.

"You have to speak to someone eventually. You can't take it in you forever." Mai shook her head.

Téa felt something rising in her. Maybe it was anger but soon Téa would know that it was something far much different. It was like something was running through her, boiling and pleading to get on the surface. Without realising it, Téa burst out.

"Just stop it, Mai!" The instant her words were said, something very weird happened.

It was like the time was frozen. No one was moving, they stayed in the exact same moment they were a few seconds ago. No, it had stopped just like Téa said. Her mouth fell open. This was... impossible. Someone would say the same for everything that had happened to them with the pharaoh.

"Hey, Mai..." Téa shook her hand in front of her friend's face uselessly. "Oh, no, what did I do?" Téa became scared.

How to stop this and turn everything back to normal? How did Téa stop it in the first place?! Atem had magic, other people had but not her. Téa was normal, ordinary... yet, there was no doubt she did it. How, was another question. Téa started to panic; Téa had no clue how to reverse this.

Please, I need to turn everything back to normal!

It was over the same way it happened in the first place: mysteriously and in an instant. People continued doing whatever they were doing, and Téa was back to her conversation with Mai. Did Mai remember what exactly Téa said lastly?

"Mai, did you notice something weird happen just now?" Téa asked carefully.

Mai was confused. Wasn't Téa saying something to her just a moment ago? It was something about stopping. Mai thought harder, but the memory seemed to fade away.

"No," Mai answered at last. So only Téa was a witness to this. Great, how to make someone believe it then?

"Never mind, I have to go." Téa rushed to the checkout.

"But..." Mai was completely lost on what was going on.

"Bye May!" Téa waved at her and was gone a moment later.

That was strange. Téa was surely not in her senses for quite some time. That girl needed help; Téa was lovesick with Atem. Mai shook her head and continued on her way.

Téa frankly paid for what she had managed to pick before the incident and went home. Something was wrong with her and Téa wasn't talking about her mourning over Atem. No, it was completely different from this. Her feelings were so confused, Téa was an emotional bomb inside ready to explode. Téa was walking through the all familiar street when it happened. It was like the first time – a gentle breeze catching her attention. In the café, Téa thought she was hallucinating maybe but now she was sure it was truly happening. Téa wasn't in Domino anymore; this couldn't be it. It looked unfamiliar and somewhat odd, somewhat... old. Téa could tell this by the look of the buildings; there were none like these in Japan. Also, the way people were dressed. Téa saw women in dresses which looked like from her History book. Yeah, people were different around the world but not that different. They still lived in the twenty-first century and with an uneasiness, Téa had to admit this wasn't it. Suddenly, Téa realised how she was clothed and why everyone was giving her such unapproving looks.

"Huh, what an awful taste." A woman snapped at her.

"What a shame!" Another one, older than the other, exclaimed threateningly.

What was wrong with her clothes? Oh, only the sleeveless top and the shorts while every other woman wore a long loose dress. Yup, everything was safe and sound. So, how exactly did Téa go in the past and in another place?! Téa started walking, gaining even more unapproving looks.

Bad choice of clothing for a trip in time. Wait. Time travelling? This was what Téa was doing? How on Earth was Téa even capable of doing it?! Téa had nothing to do with magic. Téa only had friends who did but not her. Téa was so distracted and never saw the man in front of her before bumping into him.

"Watch out, whore!" Téa looked at him terrified.

A whore? That was what they were thinking of her? He pushed her away from him causing her to lose balance. In the middle of her fall the change happened. When Téa hit the ground, Téa was in the present again. Téa noticed it by the pavement and the modern street; in the past, the road was dusty and made of gravel. Téa got up and looked cautiously around. Did people notice her disappearance? How exactly this thing worked in the present? What did people see – a girl disappearing into thin air? Anyway, they paid her no attention so probably time was freezing here or not? Téa checked her watch; it wasn't working, of course. Obviously, it didn't like time travelling. So, this was it. Téa was... time travelling? The thought seemed all too weird and impossible to happen. But haven't fate proved her otherwise times and times again? Oh God, how did Téa end up in this mess anyway? Téa snorted; it was too much to bear. One was mourning over Atem's loss but possessing magic herself? Téa hoped it was some nasty coincidence and not something too permanent but was afraid it wasn't.

*

The young princess was running through the gardens of the palace. They had found her and wanted her magic. She was running as fast as she could, clenching her skirts to have more freedom of moving. She could slow them down with time and that's what she did. Her power was her gift and curse. It was a powerful tool used rightly and a weapon in the wrong hands. That was exactly what she was trying to do: protect her powers and herself. It was a hard life; she was always on the run, defending against the evil always close by. They wanted her, and they would stop at nothing to get her. It was convenient she could escape in the past but sometimes was tricky. She could come back exactly in their hands or as they lately had evolved with some kind of anti-magic to her own preventing her of time travelling. That was bad. In general, there shouldn't be any stronger power than the desert sand, but they had found a way and now, they had a way to stop her.

"There's no escape, princess," someone called behind her.

She was running out of time. What an irony, the time enchantress had run out of time. Her light blue silk dress was dirty and torn in places. She was also out of breath. Her long brown hair was sweaty in the roots clinging to her forehead. Her head was throbbing in pain of too much thinking, but she couldn't stop and rest now. She looked around; it was a dead end with no escape.

"I have no choice; I must go to the past. That's my only chance of escape."

She hid between some shrubs and took a deep breath grasping her pendant thinking about appropriate time and destination. She closed her sapphire blue eyes, thinking about the one place she wanted to be and see the only person she could find any solace in. Even though he didn't know about her existence, it was her salvation. He was her consolation.

A/N

UPDATE!!! As promised, you can see at the beginning of the chapter the video I made for this story. (It's been re-uploaded!) Consider it a trailer/companion to the story containing the anime prequel which led to the creation of this book. I hope you like it as I enjoyed making it but it so hurts watching the final episode. 😭

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 191 18
This story has recently been put in the Yugiohwattyawards for 2017! If you haven't followed them yet I would recommend it! There's always some really...
17.9K 509 26
Taking place after the Ceremonial Duel, Yugi Motou is having an extremely difficult time without his beloved Yami by his side. Just when he thought t...
166K 3.7K 14
How long would you wait for your soul mate? After the death of his beloved Queen in childbirth, the beloved Pharaoh Atem swears to find her one day a...
725 18 15
When Amanda does something that catches the eyes of someone that swears that she met once, and only once, she tries to find a way to use her magic to...