It Burns Within Us | Wildfire...

By amelierhys

{18+ COMPLETED • COLLEGE ROMANCE} When a college freshman with a learning disability and a reputation collide... More

It Burns Within Us
C H A R A C T E R S
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T W E L V E. F I V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y - O N E
T W E N T Y - T W O
T W E N T Y - T H R E E
T W E N T Y - F O U R
T W E N T Y - F I V E
T W E N T Y - S I X
T W E N T Y - S E V E N
T W E N T Y - E I G H T
T W E N T Y - N I N E
T W E N T Y - N I N E. F I V E
T H I R T Y
T H I R T Y - O N E
T H I R T Y - T W O
T H I R T Y - T H R E E
T H I R T Y - F O U R
T H I R T Y - F I V E
T H I R T Y - F I V E. F I V E
T H I R T Y - S I X
T H I R T Y - S E V E N
T H I R T Y - E I G H T
T H I R T Y - N I N E
F O R T Y
F O R T Y - O N E
F O R T Y - T W O
F O R T Y - T H R E E
F O R T Y - F O U R
F O R T Y - F I V E
F O R T Y - S E V E N
F O R T Y - E I G H T
F O R T Y - N I N E
F I F T Y
F I F T Y - O N E
E P I L O G U E
J O U R N A L S
D E L E T E D S C E N E
P A N I C - B O N U S C H A P T E R
A E S T H E T I C E D I T S
quick update

F O R T Y - S I X

28.4K 1.1K 1.1K
By amelierhys

B R E N

Madie shifted on her feet, moving side to side as she watched her parents get into their car. I saw her mouth open and then close again. She frowned.

Something was on the tip of her tongue.

I tucked a piece of strawberry hair behind her ear and leaned down to whisper in it. "Don't hide your fire."

Her mouth pressed into a thin line before she took a step into the driveway.

"Mom," she called. "Dad."

They had already said their goodbyes, given their hugs, murmured meaningless well-wishes. So when Madie's parents looked up, it was with curious confusion.

"I just—" Madie's voice faltered. But she was out of my reach now, and she had to do this herself. I didn't really know what she was going to say, but I could make a guess. She cleared her throat. "Why did you come all this way?"

The corners of her dad's mouth tilted downward. "We wanted to see how you were doing and make sure that you were okay out here. We wanted to see you for the holiday and didn't want to risk having you home, near..."

Quinton.

He couldn't even say it.

What a goddamn coward.

"So you admit it. You admit that he's not safe? That I'm not safe at home?" Madie asked, her voice wavering...but rising.

Her dad's eyes shifted. "Well, he's in counseling, but..."

"Honey," her mom broke in, leaning out of the open car window.

"No," Madie interrupted, shaking her head. I couldn't see her expression, but I could hear it. "You don't get to brush this aside like you do with everything else, mom. Not everything can be solved by sweeping it under the rug. That's how you taught me to fix my problems."

Her voice dropped. "Maybe if I had learned differently, I wouldn't have shouldered his abuse for so long. Maybe I wouldn't have just acted like everything was okay. Some problems don't go away. And then you end up in the hospital."

Madie's dad's expression twisted, and her mom bit down on her lip, worrying it. I took a step closer to Madie, wanting—needing—to rest my hand on the small of her back.

"It doesn't work like that," Madie added. "And I hope maybe one day you'll figure that out, too." Madie leaned into my touch. I felt her take a deep breath before ending the conversation—which was probably smart because I wasn't sure that her parents were ready to admit to what she was telling them. "I love you guys," she said in a resigned voice. "And I hope you have a safe trip back."

Both of Madie's parents were quick to tell her that they loved her too, sending longing, mixed expressions our way. Her dad looked like he wanted to say something but couldn't decide what, and he sighed heavily as he turned to put the key into the ignition. Her mom's eyes flickered with something I couldn't place, but then she put her mask back in place. "It was nice to meet you, Bren. Take care of her for us," she said.

I nodded. For the most part, Madie could take care of herself. But I'd be here, too. Because I knew they wouldn't be.

We waved as Madie's parents pulled away from the beach house. Finally, their Volvo turned the corner, and they were gone.

"Well, at least they didn't try to take you away," I muttered into Madie's hair, kissing it.

She was quiet. Madie twisted around to face me, resting her head on my chest. One of her arms wound behind my back, her hand gripping my side. And that grip tightened.

"I don't know how to feel about that," she finally whispered.

I clenched my mouth shut, trying not to overthink her words. I waited. 

Eventually, Madie looked up at me. "Bren, I think my parents are selfish people."

Couldn't argue with that. But I didn't say anything.

She inhaled deeply. And then exhaled. In and out. Like the people that came and went, like the ocean as it hits the shore, like the ebb and flow of our brainwaves as they process the crazy fucking shit we deal with every day.

"They just want to wipe their hands clean of responsibility," she finally said. "They want to assuage themselves of guilt. With me being here, out of harm's way, they can tell themselves that they did the right thing with Quinton and then go about their life like nothing happened."

I brushed a hand down her back. I was pretty sure that Madie was seeing her parents differently for the first time, and I knew how much that could hurt.

"I'm sure they love you, Madie." I kissed the top of her head again, not entirely sure of those words I'd just said. But still. "They're just a little...misguided. There's absolutely nothing that excuses what Quinton did to you. They might not get that. And to be honest, there might be a lot of people that don't get that. But I know I do. And you do, too."

She nodded and rested her head on me again. I was about to turn us around and bring her back into the house when she spoke again. "But Bren?"

"Yeah, baby?"

"I can't live here forever." Blue eyes found me. "I can't hide forever."

"Hey, now." I slipped a finger beneath her chin and tilted it up further. "There's no I in it. We will figure this out. I promise."

It didn't feel like a good time to point out that a simple way to get Quinton taken care of was by pressing those charges against him. I'd bring it up again at the right time.

She rose up, pressing a kiss against my lips. "I'd like that. But do you mind if I take a little walk to clear my mind?"

"Of course not," I murmured, pulling her in for another kiss.

As much as I wanted to be with her, especially now that we were finally alone again, I couldn't blame Madie for needing some time to think about everything. She slipped out of my arms, making her way around the corner of the house toward the beach. I followed behind, finding a spot in the sand to sit while she kicked through the waves by herself.

She was understandably upset, but she wasn't hiding it. And I was proud of her for that. I was proud of her for expressing herself.

Everything was intense today. I wasn't sure if it was the brooding autumn sea or the well of feelings that having Madie's parents around had brought. Maybe I was pushing away thoughts of my own messed up family. I wasn't sure if it was because I realized how deep I'd fallen for this girl with flames in her soul but ashes on the surface. Maybe it was because I wanted to spend the entire day or week or month dusting it all away and worshipping every bit of her that I could expose.

Who knew what exactly it was, but everything was intense today.

I eventually wandered back inside, intending to find something mind-numbing to watch on TV until Madie came back. But as soon as I grabbed the remote, I heard the sliding door open.

Spinning around, a winded Madie stood just inside it, her hand still gripping the handle. Emotion danced like a rising hurricane on her face.

"I was yelling your name as you were walking inside," she said. "You didn't hear me?"

I shook my head. I must have been too lost in my thoughts, drowning a little in the sound of waves.

We stood there.

Her breathing was heavy. Mine quickly matched it.

Her hair was whipped from the coastal weather, strands sticking to the side of her face.

Her eyes, untamed.

Her whole body, taut.

Everything was intense today.

And then we were both moving, barrelling into one another.

Her hands knotted into my hair, and my mouth crashed into hers. Our bodies collided. Our moans were collective. Madie's tongue flicked between my lips, and I nearly lost it with how eager she was. Because this was all I had been able to think about. I kept trying to put it out of my mind, trying not to be a horny asshole. I didn't know what Madie would need after this morning. I didn't know if she'd want this.

But she did. She needed to be loved, feel loved. Which, incidentally, was the only thing I was even a little bit good at. Loving her.

"Madie, baby," I gasped against her lips.

She wasn't interested in talking, pushing me back against the kitchen island, raking her fingers down my chest.

I caught one of those hands, holding it tight so I could catch her attention, too.

The desire in her gaze taunted when she unleashed it on me. It was telling me to let go, let her continue what she'd been doing. And I would, in just a moment.

With my other hand, I cupped her face. "I want all of you right now. Please tell me you want the same."

She answered by drugging me with a kiss.

I managed to pull away an inch so I could add, "And this time you can be as loud as you fucking want." I paused, considering. "In fact, I insist on it."

Madie pressed her lips against mine, groaning in approval before breaking away, tugging me by the hand toward the stairs. She started up them, and her shorts-wearing ass was suddenly in my face as she led me step-by-step toward the bedroom.

And really, that was more than I could handle.

We made it to the landing halfway between floors before I yanked back on her hand, and she flew into me. My lips hit hers as soon as the rest of her body smashed into mine. And then I gripped that ass, urging her into me, hoisting her up. She immediately wrapped her legs around my waist, just like I'd wanted.

I carried her to bed that way. With a bit of reluctance, I dropped her onto the sheets, not really wanting to let go for a single moment. But I immediately covered her with my body, kissing deeply. Her legs surrounded me again, caging me in. And then I got lost in the repeated open-mouthed caresses for a long time. All I knew was that it was me and Madie and a bed, and this was where we were going to stay all day.

"Well, well. What do we have here?"

Or not.

A voice in the doorway had me jerking back from Madie with a start. What the fuck.

"We're going to need to get a professional cleaner or something up in here before my parents see this place again. Lordy, would you look at that."

My hazy lust-filled brain knew that voice, and I twisted my head toward the door.

"What the actual fuck, man," I cried, narrowing my gaze at the intruder. "You're going to give me a heart attack."

Beau was not paying attention, though. He cared very little for my heart or the fact that we were clearly busy. "I spy with my little eye something...purple."

"Hmm." It was a low, but decidedly female, hum. Nessa slid into the doorway next to Beau. "Is it the condom wrapper littering the floor?"

Nessa shifted her eyes to Madie beneath me. "Sorry, girl. We didn't know," she said, laughing a bit. Her grin was wide. "Although, I suppose we're even now."

Nessa looked at me, and that grin turned into a smirk. "Hey, Bren."

I glanced at Madie, who didn't seem to know what to say. Her mouth gaped open. She was blushing furiously.

"Get the fuck out, and we'll meet you downstairs," I growled at our visitors. Christ, they scared the shit out of me. What the hell were they doing here?

"What a welcome that was," Beau muttered as they turned away—though it was purposefully loud enough for me to hear. I knew Beau well enough to know that. "And I thought they might be happy to see us," he added, though his voice was now faint.

Nessa and Beau's laughter could be heard ringing through the hallway as they made their way down the steps. Madie and I were quick to straighten ourselves, shooting glances back and forth at the odd turn of events, not really knowing what to say about it. Before we left the bedroom, Madie made sure to give me one drawn-out, longing gaze that had me internally groaning as we made our way downstairs.

I tried not to glare at Beau as we met them in the living room. I was happy to see them. I wasn't happy to have been interrupted.

Beau's goofy grin only increased as I walked up. He threw his hands in the air in mock innocence. "Hey, we yelled your name a few times and didn't hear anything."

Madie's moans and whimpers had been the only thing filling my ears up until ten minutes ago.

"It's fine," Madie was quick to insert. "Not a big deal, guys." She smiled as she rushed over and gave Nessa a hug. Nessa wasn't really the huggy, affectionate type, but she returned her friend's embrace with her own grin. "I can't believe you're here!" Madie squealed.

Beau shrugged. "It was kinda last minute. But neither of us felt like hanging around home for the rest of Thanksgiving break. Told Mom I'd check in on the beach house and asked Nessa if she'd wanna come."

"Coulda sent a text," I mumbled, but I think the only person who heard me was Madie. She jabbed her elbow into my stomach. She'd fallen back from Nessa, standing in front of me, leaning gently against my chest. It was the slightest touch—just a tease after the way we'd been entwined earlier.

I cleared my throat. "Glad you're here, man. It's good to see you guys."

Again, not a lie. Just, you know, timing.

Beau's gaze turned probing. "So..." His dark eyes juggled between Madie and I. "This is a thing now, huh?"

I snaked my arm around Madie's waist. She'd thrown on my hoodie, and it looked damn good even if it did obstruct my feel of her. But a little yank and her whole backside came flush with my front.

"This is a thing now," I said, marveling a bit as the words came out of my mouth. It was actually more than a thing, but whatever. We didn't need to get into that now.

Nessa slapped her palm out in front of Beau, her other hand landing on her cocked hip. "You owe me fifty bucks."

Beau flashed her an incredulous look. "I don't carry cash. Who the hell carries cash?"

Nessa dropped her hand. "Well, you still owe me." Then she winked at me. "I had faith in Bren."

I tried to hide the laugh that slipped out by ducking behind Madie's head. I couldn't take credit for anything. Madie was the one who'd started it all, every time.

"Christ, okay." Beau pulled his phone out from his sweatpants' pocket. "I'll Venmo you." He peeked at me as he paged through his phone, undoubtedly looking for the app. "Sorry, man. No offense. You're kinda slow-rolling, though, you know?"

That time I did laugh. With most girls, I really wasn't. But with Madie...I just hadn't wanted to fuck anything up. Because it had been the only time it felt like something real. And Beau knew. He totally knew that it was different with Madie. Otherwise, he wouldn't have driven all the way to Fresno to chase after me. Fuck, I owed this guy everything.

My irritation melted away completely.

Sighing, Beau threw his phone on the couch and then clapped his hands together. "Well, who's ready to party? I brought booze." He pointed to a few bags sitting on the kitchen countertop.

I shook my head, laughing again. "What'd you bring?"

"The good shit." His brows drew together. "What the fuck else?"

🖤
*sigh*
I remember parties.
If you follow me on IG, you probably had a good idea that Madie & Bren were going to get interrupted. But at least it wasn't...you know who.
If you don't follow me on IG, well, come on over.
@cocoandamelie

Who is happy to see Beau and Nessa?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2M 55.2K 41
Willow's always been known as the good girl with the wealthy parents who could do no wrong. Little do they know that this seemingly perfect girl has...
825K 19.2K 80
"You don't like it rough?" he asks me. Oh, okay, I smirk back at him, two can play this game. "I like it... but only during sex, " I say to him wat...
1.8M 59.4K 49
I can't help the moan that escapes my mouth at the taste of her tongue against mine, and my hips pulse reflexively up to meet hers. But before I can...