Anchor {h.s}

By K_arry

She was the anchor that kept him steady above the water. He was the anchor that made her sink. A story filled... More

prologue.
one
three **
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen **
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two **
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight **
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
Q&A
book 2

two

36K 1.2K 579
By K_arry

A typical Saturday morning.

Waking up early to go to work, serving the usual clients and some new faces, taking their orders, bringing the plates to the customers and cleaning up the tables once they were done. Today was no different, even the fact that I had woken up with Harry tangled up around me wasn't unusual. The fact that I let him sleep though, that was uncommon. Most of the time, I would wake him up as I was leaving for work, but today as I was about to, I couldn't bring myself to do it. He looked so peaceful that it felt wrong waking him up.

Those moments were so rare to see, I sometimes felt privileged to be able to see him that way. The fact that I was one of the few, if not only person that got to see him for who he really was meant a lot to me. Generally, Harry would wear this hard mask that didn't let any feelings out, or in for that matter. However, he trusted me enough to let it all show when he was with me, not always, but sometimes.

My shift started at 8 o'clock this morning and at 7:30, I went into my room to make sure he was still peacefully sleeping and wrote a quick note, that I left on my pillow, informing him that I had left for work.

The morning weather was chilling me to the bones and I tightened my coat around me. I hated the cold weather more than anything in the world, especially when I had to go to work. I didn't have a car and had to make all my travels on foot or by bus. I also hated the bus, but today it was a welcomed transportation, since it allowed me to close my eyes and fuel up for fifteen minutes. The night had been too short and I needed to have some energy if I wanted to get through the day.

I had been a waitress at The Crown for over a year. It was a job that I really enjoyed and that made me feel valued. I was good at it, customers liked being served by me, and the pay wasn't too bad. When I first started to work here, it was meant to be temporary. I had took the job, thinking that I would only work full time for the summer and that when school would start, I would either work part-time or quit. But it turned out that life had other plans for me and when fall came around, I ended up not going to school. Even if I had been accepted into the law program, as the first day of school neared, the anxiety I felt towards it made me postpone my studies.

I arrived ten minutes early, like always and went into the staffs' room. As I entered the room, I crossed Niall's path. Niall had just started to work as a cook at the Crown. This was our first Saturday shift together but I had no worries, from what I knew, he was a really sweet guy.

"Hi," he said with a warm smile as we faced each other.

"Hey Niall," I replied, trying my best to be enthusiastic but my lack of sleep made it hard to accomplish, and it didn't go unnoticed as Niall started to chuckle lightly.

"Long night?"

"You have no idea," I shook my head with a friendly smile before heading to my locker.

"Do you want me to start the coffee machine now? You could drink some before we open," he suggested.

"That would be really nice, yeah." I put my coat inside of my locker before looking at Niall who nodded before heading out.

I took in a deep breath, getting myself ready for the day that was coming.

Typical Saturday morning, and yet focusing on anything seemed to be impossible. I was on running on little to no sleep, but thankfully the coffee that Niall had prepared for me earlier was starting to kick in. Still, as I waited the tables, I couldn't help but to think about Harry. As much as he was comfortable with me, it had never been enough for him to tell me exactly what was going on with him. Whatever hints he had given me had been vague, never enough for me to figure it out. I knew something had been going on with his family for years now, but what it was exactly, that I didn't know. It was from the moment that he left his parents house that his life went into a whirlwind.

"Excuse me miss?" A voice called and I turned around. Facing a middle-aged man at his table. "We'd like some water please?"

"Yes, of course." I replied, putting on my best smile.

I didn't like being so distracted at work. I loved my job and I was good at it, I didn't need my personal life coming in conflict with it. I had always drawn a line between the two of them, dealing with my personal problem on my own time and concentrating on work when I was here. Everything outside of the restaurant, all of my worries, needed to stay out of the restaurant. However, it seemed like that wouldn't be the case today.

I turned around to go get the glasses of water the man requested and my eyes landed on the tall and familiar figure entering the restaurant.

Harry's hair was messy as if he had just rolled out of bed, and the sleep that lingered in his face indicated that it was actually the case. His eyes searched for me in the restaurant and our gaze locked. I looked at him, trying to make him understand that whatever he wanted, we would deal with it later. Completely ignoring my signs, he bit his lower lip before grabbing a menu and taking a seat in my section. I sighed, accepting the fact that things were meant to go wrong today, before pouring the glasses and bringing them to the table. I then pulled out my notepad and took in a deep breath before heading to Harry's table. 

"Hey," I greeted him and he put down his menu. He looked up at me, his eyes sad but his face hard. Anyone else would look at him and see a confident young man. I looked at him and saw a handsome but broken boy.

"Hey," he repeated my words with a soft voice. With his tone alone, I knew what was coming.

"What do you want to order?" I asked, hoping that he wouldn't bring up the subject. It wasn't something I wanted to talk about while I was at work.

"Em," he sighed before reaching for my hand. I pulled it away before he could grab it and his mouth went into a thin line. "I'm sorry."

I smiled softly. "It's okay Harry," I mumbled.

It was always okay. No matter how many times he would come knock at my door in the middle of the night, I would always forgive him, because I loved him. Still, every time he would apologize, scared by the fact that one day I would have enough. However that was the thing, I never had enough with him, I always wanted more, more of things that he couldn't give me, so instead I settled with what he did give me.

"Are you feeling better this morning?" I asked him to lighten the mood.

"I guess," he gave me a small smile. "I'm really sorry Em."

"Harry-"

He interrupted me. "I know, 'it's okay', but I just want you to know it." He sighed. "I would say that it won't happen again but you and I both know that it would be a lie."

I shook my head, and a small humourless laugh escaped. "Don't worry about it." I looked at my notepad nervously. "Are you going to order something?"

"I'll take the usual," he smiled fondly.

I nodded and tucked my notepad away before going into the kitchen to give his order to the cook. I served the other tables, consciously avoiding Harry's and only going to him once his food was ready. I put down his plate in front of him, having the intention to leave as quickly as I could but when I leaned forward, he rested his hand on the back of my thigh. I jumped a little, surprised by his gesture that was both affectionate and commanding. I looked at him and slowly removed his hand as I realized where we were.

"I'll make it up to you, Em. I promise," he said his voice low.

His words held possibilities that I wanted desperately and I believed him, like always. My heart threatened to beat out of my chest. I knew what he meant by that and the simple thought of it diffused warmth all over my body. The place where is hand previously stayed felt too cold and I craved it there again, but I was aware of where we were and although that wouldn't stop Harry, it stopped me.

"I have to go back to work," I warned him and he gave me a side smile. "Enjoy your meal."

He chuckled lightly, "I'll try, but I know it won't be as tasty as you."

I rolled my eyes, hiding how flustered his words made me, and went back into the kitchen to bring the food to the other customers. As I went through the doors, I met Niall's eyes before he quickly looked away. I frowned, wondering why he was acting so weird.

"Is everything all right?" I asked him as I took the plates in front of me.

He nodded and gave me a reassuring smile. "Yeah, all good."

I knew he was lying. I might not know him that much, but I could easily tell that Niall was a really bad liar. I put down the plates, and crossed my arms. He looked up before nervously, while still avoiding my gaze.

"I'd much rather you tell me before this gets awkward," I told him.

The look that Niall had given me indicated that he had some sort of problem, whether it was with me or with something else, I wanted to know.

"That guy, is he your boyfriend?" He asked with his head down as he cooked the orders. 

I looked back and saw Harry through the small kitchen window. As if he felt he was being watched, he lifted his head from his plate and looked straight at me. He smiled wickedly before taking two of his fingers to wipe both side of his mouth and winking. I bit my lower lip and looked away so that he wouldn't see me blushing, but by doing that, it was Niall who saw it.

"Harry? He's not my boyfriend, no." I quickly said to cover my embarrassment.

"Well, he sure has wandering hands," he commented. "And a suggestive mind."

I chuckled before grabbing the plates again. "That's my best friend for you," I said before heading back to the dinning room.

I brought the plates to the customers and filled everyone's coffee. I sighed loudly as I arrived at Harry's table, knowing that he would most certainly make some sort of dirty comment.

"Coffee?" I asked him.

"Yes please."

He looked at me innocently as he lifted his cup for me to pour coffee. As I filled it up, Harry caught a drop that was sliding down his cup with one of his finger before bringing it to his mouth and sucking slightly.

"Mm... delicious," he said as he looked at me with hooded eyes.

I froze for a moment, remembering the last time he had said that to me, although he had a very different substance on his finger at that time. I squirmed subtly, hoping that it would go unnoticed as my lower region screamed for him, but he saw, he definitely saw, as he chuckled lightly into his cup of coffee before taking a sip.

"You're a dick," I scolded him.

"Don't even act like you're not craving it right now." He put down his cup and smiled wickedly. "I'm twitching right now just at the thought of it and I know you're soaked."

"Harry!" I whispered harshly hoping it would shut him up but it only made him laugh harder.

"Don't worry Em, it will only taste better."

I rolled my eyes and walked away, pretending to be mad when in reality I wished with everything I had that time would go by faster.

.

.

.

Dirty dirty dirty. Are you even ready, the next chapter is just very very smutty.

haha what a beautiful poem. but seriously : YES this story is officially starting! I haven't decided what the update schedule will be for this yet, I'll see how it fits in my schedule I guess.

Hope that you like it so far, please vote and comment !

Karry xx.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.5K 306 48
❝She didn't know what an anchor was until she realized she was one for him. He didn't believe in love expecially when he knew love is weakness until...
4.9K 290 11
Lighthouse keeper Lucia makes a mythical discovery one sunny morning: a man sitting on a rock down at the cove near her home with not legs submerged...
She By Lulu

Fanfiction

739 22 14
She was Loud and peculiar; Talkative and confident. She was like a child, saying any and everything that came to mind. She was simple and complicated...
Saved By Tara

Fanfiction

2.4K 91 27
"The boat sunk, taking with it lives of those with pain in their eyes and terror in their hearts. We were, as you call, 'lucky'." Emily's and Harry's...