Kindling [Podestaria Book 1]

By RosannaPatruno

(Podestaria Book 1) As if college isn't hard enough, the seals on Inga's boosting powers are breaking! With n... More

01.2 Trains
Afterwords
Blooming

01.1 Trains

35 4 0
By RosannaPatruno

Inga stopped her fingers a split second from calling the hotline number. Still, her eyes were drawn to the billboard like iron filings to a magnet.

A woman showed a tomato plant hovering her palm to a group of amazed mid-adults. Above their head, the tagline: 'It's never too late to #LearnMagic!'. The words 'Evening school sponsored by the Department of Supernatural Affairs' were written at the bottom of the poster in a no-nonsense font meant to instil trust. The metallic aftertaste showed that the ad was charmed to catch the eye of any potential student walking through Paddington Station.

"Anyway, I'm not interested," Inga muttered in a dismissive tone, yet unable to put her mobile, look, or walk away. "My hands are already full."

Inga had worked her arse off to be accepted in the Faculty of Economics at Cambridge University. She would work twice as hard to get into the World Bank's Young Professional Program. There weren't enough hours in a day to attend a non-compulsory Magic course. Besides, it did not even sound better than her Supernatural Sciences compulsory class. As far as Inga knew, it could be like the Food Preserving Spells crash course that Mum took a few years before.

Magic was more of a bother than a shortcut. It didn't matter how hard Inga studied or worked; people would question her skills only because the Law gave her a few benefits.

Still, a curiosity mingled with longing tugged at the pit of her stomach.

Her mobile almost slipped from her hand when it vibrated.

Hana: we're in wagon 9

She replied to the message and headed to Platform 5, trying to get the billboard out of her head. But the tagline buzzed in the back of her mind, like a mosquito on a sleepless summer night.

Inga had neither the extraordinary cosmic powers nor the magical endurance of her brother Rozzie, which earned him the DeSNA's patronage and a Telepath job at the Paranormal Police. She could not even spell-dry one knicker without getting a headache and a bloody nose. Moreover, she was too old for a growth spurt, be it magic or physical (although she wouldn't mind growing a B cup). Once upon a time, when Inga was younger and naive, she dreamt of waking up with extraordinary cosmic powers like her brother. As time went by, however, she started to appreciate the greater freedom she enjoyed as a less-than-spectacular, pretty lame Podestaria.

She could study whatever she wanted and choose whatever job she liked the best; her availability for the DeSNA was a mere legal formality. There was a little less than eight million Podestari in the United Kingdom; she was a Lower Class Podestaria and Undifferentiated to boot! The day the Government would mobilise the country's Podestari, Inga would be at the bottom of the list.

"Inga, we're here!"

One of her friends called her out through a window, waving her arm.

Inga waved back and got aboard, making her way to her best friends, Tottie and Hana. They had been lucky enough to get four facing seats, with a small table between for bags, snacks, and drinks.

Inga smiled awkwardly. "Sorry for messing up your plans for the weekend."

"What are friends for? The last time I had you on the phone, you sounded so blue!" Tottie replied with a wink. "I promise I'll get you a hottie to cheer you up!"

Hana laughed. "You didn't give that up, did you?"

A hopeless romantic, Tottie had gone over and beyond to ensure her best friends' romantic happiness. A couple of time, Inga and Hana agreed to date someone so Tottie could tell her stepmother that she was hanging out with them without lying. These had been all awkward, short-lived relationships, the longests going from Christmas to Saint-Valentine. Hana was the first to be fed up with it, while Inga bore with Tottie's matchmaking a little longer.

"We'll see. Especially if it's her favourite actor," Tottie added, her grin spreading across her lightened-up face.

Inga and Hana glanced at each other. Only because Inga had watched the Cinderella live-action too many times with her niece, it didn't mean she was crazy about the main actor.

"Are you not curious to know how I'd pull it out? Jen's Port Sunlight series has been optioned for TV!" Tottie announced with a squeaking whisper, even before her friends could say anything. She went on about every little detail she knew about, fantasising about her dream cast. "But you must promise me to keep it a secret, though."

"We'll be as silent as the grave, although Mrs Bergman and Rozzie will find out as soon as they glance at you," Hana replied with a sneer. "By the way, Inga, is there a chance that your brother'll be there this weekend? I'd appreciate his help for some... Anatomy drawings."

"Err... I'm not sure. And if he comes, he'd be busy with Pat's moving..."

Usually, Rozzie's flustered face as he refused to pose shirtless for Hana put Inga in a better mood. However, this time her brother's name squeezed her stomach. With a lot of focus and some luck, she might hide her troubles to Mum, but it was impossible to trick Rozzie.

An encouraging warmth, smelling with magnolia, spread from the hand Tottie squeezed to the rest of her body.

"You'll feel better after spitting it out," Hana encouraged her, squeezing the other hand.

"It's just... I believed I had a hard skin, that university professors and students would be more mature and open-minded..." Inga pinched her lips, and her eyes prickled. "I worked hard to get excellent grades! It's not me who got in to make the DeSNA happy!"

She ranted through clenched teeth about envious students and biased professors. Sure, the laws protected her, but as some senior students said, normal people had a hard time acknowledge that Podestari were hardworking too.

"I get how frustrating that is," Hana whispered. "My sister has to deal with arseholes as well."

Tottie gasped. "How come? Lyon is one of the three leading universities for Supernatural Sciences studies!"

"Actually, her problem are snobs, not bigots." Hana threw behind her shoulder an imaginary strand of hair, adding with a posh accent. "Paleo Magic and Magic Reconstruction is for second-class Podestari—"

"Pah, 'Podestari', what an ugly word," Tottie interrupted her with a snort. "What's wrong with 'Mage' or 'Sorcerer'? They're cooler, and people get what we are right away."

Inga snorted. "Yeah, I want to see you introducing yourself with 'hello, I'm Loveleen Fangboner, Romance author and a Sorceress'. People will complain that you've charmed them into buying your books and leaving five-star reviews."

"I'll be a best seller because my novels are good, not because I manipulated readers!" Tottie replied with a shocked gasp. "Have you ever heard of an Afficiens who influences people through paper? Besides, I need to touch someone for my powers to work, and I can only change their mood."

A few months before the latest elections, the DeSNA had summoned Tottie, only to send her back home because of her tactile peculiarity. Unlike another schoolmate, who had to put down all her videos, close her channel and disappear.

Inga cleared her throat. "People can be quite mean if they want to—"

"I beg your pardon; may I ask if this seat is taken?"

=========================================================

If this is your first time reading of Inga's (mis)adventures, welcome! Drinks and snacks are over there *points somewhere at her right*! And if you're an Old Reader, just don't do like my sons and spoil the story, although I have to say that a couple of things have taken a 180° turns for the best—or worst: to quote a certain character, "it's a matter of perspective".

Yes, dear Old Reader, these last years of radio silence on my part were focused on polishing this story as much as I could thanks to my Critique Partner Janine (alas, I don't think she's here on Wattpad: her Solarpunk, anime-inspired YA is quite good!), a professional editor, and some more insider tips. The result is Version 8.1 that you have just started reading.

And yes, I've also changed my MC's name since 1. you might have forgotten, but in the very first version her name's meaning was important for a subplot that I've dropped in the meantime; and 2. it was just oh so tempting to call her "Ingrid" and see the cringe issue (although I'm not sure how many youngster would get it)

I must admit that I didn't plan to re-post Kindling, but since I've decided to self publish, I thought it would be good to gauge the public's response while I get it ready. 

So, what is your first impression about the setting and world building? Are they satisfactory for a first (half) chapter? What about Inga?  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

278K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...