The (Mis)Adventures of (Re)Be...

By CarlaLikesCandy

When the Dark Overlord 's bride kidnapping doesn't go as planned, he is forced to deal with her mad scientist... More

Prologue: Venus
Chapter 1: Blast Off
Chapter 2: Rover
Chapter 3: Harprognatus Exincendia
Chapter 4: Mission
Chapter 5: Home Planet
Chapter 6: Entropy
Chapter 7: Clair de Lune
Chapter 9: Mentor
Chapter 10: The Great Gaming Debate
Chapter 11: Multi(pie)ing
Chapter 12: Sticky Situation
Chapter 13: Identity Crisis
Chapter 14: Dust
Chapter 15: Eclipsed

Chapter 8: Agreement

23 3 0
By CarlaLikesCandy

The Dean looked up in surprise to see Valeria and Bella.

"Who are y- Bella? What are you doing here?"

He walked over to them and gave Bella a hug.

Bella smiled. "Hi, Mr. Smith. Sorry to bug you. We couldn't help overhear your conversation."

"Oh that's alright. And you know you can call me Patrick, Bella!" he said with a sigh. "Besides, it's nothing you haven't heard me complain to your father about in the past. How is Maurice? Haven't seen him at the League for a few weeks now."

"He's been busy with work and hasn't really had a weekend to himself for some time."

"I see, I see. And how are you? Still number 1 in the tennis rankings?"

"You bet," she said with a little smile.

"And um, you had a younger sister, correct? Little Becca! I remember her! My, that child could really get into some mischief. I still remember when she brought her little homemade mosquito death-ray to the annual picnic and ended up zapping up half of the poolside umbrellas" he said with a loud laugh. "That was a truly memorable picnic."

Bella and Valeria looked at each other uncomfortably. "She's actually the reason we're here."

"Oh?" he asked in confusion. "How so?"

"Well today was her first day," Bella explained. "And it didn't exactly go as planned."

"Yes, well, all first-years will have a first-day worthy of the history books," Patrick said with a sigh and fixed his hair. "But no matter, I'm sure everything will go back to normal in a day or so."

"No, you misunderstand. Becca is the reason we're here," Valeria clarified.

Patrick looked at her in disbelief. "Oh...no. Are you sure?"

"She told us everything," Bella explained. "I'm surprised Mrs. Perkins didn't tell you. She sent me the suspension notice for Becca earlier today."

"I've been in my office all afternoon and haven't talked to her. I knew a suspension had been filed but I didn't pay attention to who it was. Oh this is not good...Maurice is going to kill me..."

Valerie rolled her eyes. "Look, I heard everything the Governor said to you from start to finish, and I have a solution that'll benefit everyone."

Patrick looked at her with intrigue. "I'm listening, Miss..."

"Ryubridge, Valeria," she said curtly. "Becca's not a threat. Or, not really. But she is the most multi-talented scientist and engineer anyone has seen for centuries. She's a little manic, sure, but when she makes stuff and succeeds they turn out to be life-changing projects. You know what she made today? She created a phoenix. A fucking phoenix. Because she wanted to test out her theory or reincarnation using something the third-years had stored in the backroom of their science lab and a dead pigeon."

He stared at Valeria with wide eyes then looked to Bella for any support to see if what Valeria was saying was a lie, but Bella gave no such indication and only nodded. He walked around his desk and sat back down at in his chair.

"That's impossible."

"Maybe, except we didn't hear it just from her, the professor of that class was telling the investigation officers the same thing. And why would he have a reason to lie?"

"Good Lord," he said as he wiped the sweat off of his forehead with a handkerchief.

"You need someone who can take Aliva from zero to hero. You need Becca, and she needs to stay in school. So, we propose you forego the suspension notice, and get her to represent the school for ISEF next May. That will give her two full semesters to prove herself."

"I understand you're trying to help, but put yourself in my place. I can't risk putting the other students in harm's way."

"You can figure out a way to make some arrangements for her. Maybe she could work at night after hours when everyone is gone and do classes online. She's a night owl anyway, right Bella?"

"I mean, it's not ideal," Bella answered. "But she's been wanting to go to school ever since I can remember. Any contact is better than the home-schooling route we took with her all these years."

"I can't make such flexible arrangements for one student..."

"This student may be the only way for our school to stay alive," Valeria spit back. "Grow some balls and take a risk! Becca is worth it!"

"Easy now," Bella said petting Valeria's hair. "Sorry, it's been an emotional day."

"That's alright, I know better than to get into a fight with a Ryu," Patrick chuckled. "I'll accept the offer under two conditions: the arrangements for her work are made outside of school grounds, though she can use our materials as much as she pleases, and she must have an advisor that will help guide her during the work process. Knowing that a faculty member is supporting the work will give me some peace of mind."

"Will you be able to find someone for us?" Bella asked. "You know the faculty better than anyone."

"No, I'm sorry. I cannot be any more involved aside from giving my stamp of approval."

"I understand," Bella sighed. "We appreciate your help. Once we find someone, we'll let you know."

"And I will reverse the suspension order immediately, contingent on this agreement," he said as he outstretched his hand. Bella looked at it for a moment before she gave it a firm shake.

"Deal!"

After a few clarifications on the agreement and next steps, Valeria and Bella walked out of the building and across campus to get back to the car.

"That went better than expected," Valeria said. "I find it pretty funny he didn't notice we walked in even though his door was locked."

"Patrick has always been a little absent-minded. Who knew your nails could come in so handy."

Valeria smirked. "They come in handy for a lot of hands-on things."

Bella blushed nudged her in the ribs. "Okay. Now let's see...Becca can use the same room downstairs to do all of her experimenting. It's a little tight but she'll have to make due. So now we just have to get someone to be her advisor. Maybe Zarka? She knows Becca..."

"Not a science professor though, and honestly I don't want you to owe her any favors. That would be like selling your soul to the devil for a tour of Dante's Inferno."

"She's not that bad!" Bella interjected. "She has her favorites but what teacher doesn't."

Valeria smirked. "That would be funnier if she wasn't such an awful person to aliens like me."

"The ones who interrupt class and love making fun of the hetero Byronic heroes?" Bella grinned.

"You read one love story you've pretty much read them all. Hetero Byronic heroes in particular tickle my pickle. And I hate pickles."

"I'm pretty sure that's not how you use that expression."

"I'm pretty sure I'm lesbian and don't care about appropriating frat guy slang," she said with a wink. "I'm also pretty sure we're not any closer to finding an advisor."

Bella thought for a moment and ran through the mental list of any professors she had over the past few years in college that may work for this purpose. None came to mind until she remembered the most obvious choice. She pulled out her phone and dialed Zathrian, much to Valeria's chagrin.

Zath picked up after the second ring. "What a happy surprise! How's my belle of the ball?"

"Hi Zath!" Bella said with a big smile. She heard Valeria groan next to her ear but ignored her.

"Hey Val," Zath said with a cheeky grin upon hearing the groan he knew too well. "What can I do for you ladies?"

"This is a really weird question, but I was hoping you may be able to do me the favor and I'll explain everything later. Do you have the contact info for Dr. Lagarto?"

"Sure, let me send you everything I have now," Zath answered and sent it to her at that moment. "Email, phone, and address are all included. You can tell him you're my best friends and he's sure to receive you. Just so you're aware, he doesn't have a lot of patience, but he loves science. Like, really loves science. You can convince of just about anything if you show him how it will benefit him."

"Thanks Zath! Really appreciate it," Bella said with a genuine smile. "I'll call you later and explain everything. Say hi to your mom for me!"

"Will do! Bye Bella, bye Val. Have a lovely moonlit night you lovebirds!"

Valeria groaned when Bella hung up the call, and mimicked his words under her breath.

"Have a lovely moonlit night lovebirds... Ugh! He's such a pompous ass."

"Be nice. And he got us what we needed so let's just be grateful," Bella said calmly looking at the information Zathrian provided. "As much as I hate to bother Dr. Lagarto after such a rough day, I think we need to go see him in person."

Once they got to the car and reviewed the address, Valeria revved up the engine and set in in full gear, and they departed.

Meanwhile, outside of Aliva at Orda Co., Opaleian was putting the finishing touches on one of his new energy captor spheres and set it aside for testing later that night after the ceremony. The night was going to be clear enough to gather moonlight, though the amount would not be substantial. His goal was to test its general functionality and discard it if it didn't work right.

He looked out of his window and down at the city of Aliva as hatred boiled from his core. Just thinking about the fact he was bringing one into his refuge made him sick to his stomach. But, no matter. He would get the information he needed from her and discard her. Nothing more. Alivans merited no sympathy, and no matter how special this one may be to them, she would receive no special treatment. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24 0 1
Mirando el Fuchen, sosteniendo los restos del alma en mi mano. esa historia manchada de la ciudad desierta cultivando la inocencia, abriendo la puert...
81 1 1
"𝙰𝚗𝚘𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚎𝚜, 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚊 𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚑-𝚍𝚒𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚕 𝚛𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚜 𝚒𝚗 𝚜𝚙𝚊𝚌𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎, 𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚌𝚛𝚒𝚋𝚎𝚍 𝚊𝚜 𝚌𝚕�...
7 0 2
Fate has other ideas... This is a revised book of my original multiverse chronicles Doctor who is owned by the BBC