Let's Do It Again

By Beth_n_percy

The seven did not succeed in defeating Gaea because the gods never showed up. After Percy dies he wakes up ac... More

I Died Then Woke Up
What The Hell We Gonna Do Now?
Just Like Old Times
Mind Your Fucking Business
I'm back!

Fuck This Shit

203 6 2
By Beth_n_percy

So I had a reviewer named God of Spelling and they said and I quote "Actually spell correctly. This story honestally sucks." First, off God of Spelling, I would like to point out you spelled honestly wrong. Moving on if my story sucks so much why did you stay to read and review? I'll be honest I don't always catch my spelling mistakes when I'm typing really fast but I don't think it okay to belittle someone else's work. I take constructive criticism but that's not constructive it's toxic. Please refrain from reviewing if you only plan on being negative. Thank you in advance and everyone else can find the replies to their reviews at the bottom.

I had long given up any thoughts of sleep. I was awoken at 4 am in a panic from nightmares of Tarturas. I spent the next few hours mulling over my horrible life while waiting for breakfast.

I was still in bed in cabin three. My body told me it was morning, but it was dark outside, and thunder rolled across the hills. A storm was brewing. The weather matched my mood perfectly after last night's fiasco and I wanted nothing more than to curl up in my cabin for the rest of the day.

I heard a clopping sound at the door, a hoof knocking on the threshold.

"Come in," I yelled irritated. How did I forget that today I would be assigned the quest?

Grover trotted inside, looking worried. "Mr. D wants to see you."

"Why?" I stared at the ceiling wondering what would happen if I failed to show up.

"He wants to kill... I mean, I'd better let him tell you."

I sighed wearily and got dressed. I was in a crappy mood and meeting with Mr.D was sure to make it worse. Never the less I followed Grover.

Over Long Island Sound, the sky looked like ink soup coming to a boil. A hazy curtain of rain was coming in our direction. It took everything in me not to scream at the sky.

Grover was watching me and glanced uneasily at the sky. "It'll pass around us. Bad weather always does."

Not this one I wanted to say. My dad and Uncle are trying to kill each other I wanted to add but I kept my mouth shut and walked.

At the volleyball pit, the kids from Apollo's cabin were playing a morning game against the satyrs. Dionysus's twins were walking around in the strawberry fields, making the plants grow. Everybody was going about their normal business, but they looked tense. They kept their eyes on the storm.

Grover and I walked up to the front porch of the Big House. Dionysus sat at the pinochle table in his tiger-striped Hawaiian shirt with his Diet Coke, as usual. Chiron sat across the table in his fake wheelchair. They were playing against wind spirits-two sets of cards hovering in the air.

"Well, well," Mr. D said without looking up. "Our little celebrity."

"It's not my fault everyone around here acts like I'm the plague," Grover who heard my muttering kicked me and Mr.D eyed warningly.

"Was that backtalk?"

"No," I said meeting his gaze.

"Come closer," Mr. D said. "And don't expect me to be nice to you, mortal, just because old Barnacle-Beard is your father."

A net of lightning flashed across the clouds. Thunder shook the windows of the house. Stike me next time, please.

"Blah, blah, blah," Dionysus said.

Chiron feigned interest in his pinochle cards. Grover cowered by the railing, his hooves clopping back and forth. We really needed to do something about all the cowering. Grover is too good to be scared of godly bullies.

"If I had my way," Dionysus continued, "I would cause your molecules to erupt in flames. We'd sweep up the ashes and be done with a lot of trouble. But Chiron seems to feel this would be against my mission at this cursed camp: to keep you little brats safe from harm."

"Don't let Chiron stop you," I drawled. "You're a god, turn me to ashes and see if I care."

Mr.D's eyes grew angry and he stood. Grover pleated a terrified Percy while Chiron seemed to be looking at me in a new light.

"That is enough Percy. Mr.D spontaneous combustion is a form of harm," Chiron put in.

"Nonsense," Dionysus said. "Boy wouldn't feel a thing. Nevertheless, I've agreed to restrain myself I'm thinking of turning you into a dolphin instead, sending you back to your father."

"I kinda like dolphins"

"Percy—" Chiron warned.

I shut up and Mr.D sat.

"Oh, all right," Dionysus relented. "There's one more option. But it's deadly foolishness." 

Dionysus rose again, and the invisible players' cards dropped to the table. "I'm off to Olympus for the emergency meeting. If the boy is still here when I get back, I'll turn him into an Atlantic bottlenose. Do you understand? And Perseus Jackson, if you're at all smart, you'll see that's a much more sensible choice than what Chiron feels you must do."

It sounds more appealing too.

Dionysus picked up a playing card, twisted it, and it became a plastic rectangle. A security pass for Olympus.

He snapped his fingers leaving only the smell of fresh-pressed grapes lingering behind as he disappeared.

Chiron smiled at me, but he looked tired and strained. I suppose my back talk was not helping. "Sit, Percy, please. And Grover."

"No it's okay," I said quickly. "Grover has to prepare to find Pan. Go ahead, Grover."

"Are you sure?" He asked not sure who to look at.

"Positive," Grover said bye to both me and Chiron before leaving in a hurry. Chiron didn't look 100 percent pleased.

It struck me suddenly who was supposed to be hiding somewhere around here. Looking around I spotted a moving shadow that could belong to only one person. I nodded to myself satisfied and calmed a little. Having Annabeth near always calmed me.

Chiron laid his cards on the table, a winning hand he hadn't gotten to use.

"Tell me, Percy," he said. "Do you understand the power of a god? Or do you just naturally have a death wish?"

I shrugged not bothering to respond.

Chiron probably wanted me to say, I love my life and I wasn't trying to upset Mr.D. But I didn't feel like lying.

"Mr.D irritates me," I said. "He's a godly bully. I don't like bullies."

"You'll meet worse, Percy. Far worse, before you're done."

I know, Ares fucking sucks. Don't even get me started on Zeus and Hera. "Done with what?" I questioned instead.

"Your quest, of course. Will you accept it?" Can I take a pass?

I glanced at Annabeth's shadow trying to remember how the conversation went last time.

"No offense," I said, "but I can't do something when I don't know what it is."

Chiron grimaced. "Well, that's the hard part, the details."

Thunder rumbled across the valley. The storm clouds had now reached the edge of the beach. As far as I could see, the sky and the sea were boiling together. Aren't sibling rivalries just amazing?

"Poseidon and Zeus they're fighting over something and you want me to find it." Chiron seemed surprised I pieced it together.

He sat forward in his wheelchair. "How did you know that?"

"The weather since Christmas has been weird, like the sea and the sky are fighting. Then I talked to Annabeth, and she'd overheard something about a theft. And I've also been having these dreams."

"Only the Oracle can determine this quest." Chiron stroked his bristly beard. "Nevertheless, Percy, you are correct. Your father and Zeus are having their worst quarrel in centuries. They are fighting over something valuable that was stolen. To be precise: a lightning bolt."

" Zeus's weapon," I started trying not to roll my eyes.

"Do not take this lightly," Chiron warned. "I'm not talking about some tinfoil-covered zigzag you'd see in a second-grade play. I'm talking about a two-foot-long cylinder of high-grade celestial bronze, capped on both ends with god-level explosives."

"Okay."

"Zeus's master bolt," Chiron said, getting worked up now. "The symbol of his power, from which all other lightning bolts are patterned. The first weapon made by the Cyclopes for the war against the Titans, the bolt that sheered the top off Mount Etna and hurled Kronos from his throne; the master bolt, which packs enough power to make mortal hydrogen bombs look like firecrackers."

"And this weapon that can take down whole continents is missing."

"Stolen," Chiron said.

"By who?"

"By whom," Chiron corrected. Once a teacher, always a teacher. "By you."

I snorted. " Yeah right, Chiron. I'm 12 and I just got to camp. I just learned who my father is and supposedly I've taken some mass destruction weapon. Yeah no."

"At least" Chiron held up a hand to stop me, "that's what Zeus thinks. During the winter solstice, at the last council of the gods, Zeus and Poseidon had an argument. The usual nonsense: 'Mother Rhea always liked you best, 'Air disasters are more spectacular than sea disasters,' et cetera. Afterward, Zeus realized his master bolt was missing, taken from the throne room under his very nose. He immediately blamed Poseidon. Now, a god cannot usurp another god's symbol of power directly—that is forbidden by the most ancient of divine laws. But Zeus believes your father convinced a human hero to take it."

"As I have said-" I began not in the mood to be accused of anything.

"Patience and listen, child," Chiron said. "Zeus has good reason to be suspicious. The forges of the Cyclopes are under the ocean, which gives Poseidon some influence over the makers of his brother's lightning. Zeus believes Poseidon has taken the master bolt and is now secretly having the Cyclopes build an arsenal of illegal copies, which might be used to topple Zeus from his throne. The only thing Zeus wasn't sure about was which hero Poseidon used to steal the bolt. Now Poseidon has openly claimed you as his son. You were in New York over the winter holidays. You could easily have snuck into Olympus. Zeus believes he has found his thief."

"But I've never even been to Olympus! Zeus is crazy!" These were the same words I'd said last time around but they still fit. Zeus was fucking crazy.

Chiron glanced nervously at the sky. The clouds didn't seem to be parting around us. They were rolling straight over our valley, sealing us in like a coffin lid. A coffin lid, I wonder what my coffin would look like. Would I even have a coffin or would my mom let me have a traditional Greek burial? Would I outlive my mom?

"Perhaps paranoid," Chiron suggested pulling me back in. "Then again, Poseidon has tried to unseat Zeus before. I believe that was question thirty-eight on your final exam." He looked at me as if he actually expected me to remember question thirty-eight. I don't even remember half the monsters I fought.

I realized Chiron was waiting for me to tell him and I sighed repeating the story Annabeth had told me before.

"Poseidon and Hera and some other gods were sick of Zeus' bull crap and tricked him into a golden net until he promised to be a better ruler. Of course, Zeus didn't become much better and he's paranoid as hell."

"Something like that. Please refrain from insulting the gods," Chiron said. "Of course, Poseidon denies stealing the master bolt. He took great offense at the accusation. The two have been arguing back and forth for months, threatening war. And now, you've come along—the proverbial last straw."

"I get it I'm a mistake but that doesn't mean I'm not a person. I actually really like New York and would not bring mass destruction to it." Chiron sighed and I stopped from making any more smart-ass remarks. I was in a bad mood but that didn't mean I had to take it out on Chiron.

"Most thinking observers would agree that thievery is not Poseidon's style. But the Sea God is too proud to try convincing Zeus of that. Zeus has demanded that Poseidon return the bolt by the summer solstice. That's June twenty-first, ten days from now. Poseidon wants an apology for being called a thief on the same date. I hoped that diplomacy might prevail, that Hera or Demeter or Hestia would make the two brothers see sense. But your arrival has inflamed Zeus's temper. Now neither god will back down. Unless someone intervenes, unless the master bolt is found and returned to Zeus before the solstice, there will be war. And do you know what a full-fledged war would look like, Percy?"

"Bad?" I answered.

"Imagine the world in chaos. Nature at war with itself. Olympians forced to choose sides between Zeus and Poseidon. Destruction. Carnage. Millions dead. Western civilization turned into a battleground so big it will make the Trojan War look like a water-balloon fight."

"Bad," I repeated.

"And you, Percy Jackson, would be the first to feel Zeus's wrath." He's wanted me dead for years, nothing new.

It started to rain. Volleyball players stopped their game and stared in stunned silence at the sky.

Zeus was punishing the camp because he was mad it made me furious.

"So I have to find the stupid bolt," I said. "And return it to Zeus."

"What better peace offering," Chiron said, "than to have the son of Poseidon return Zeus's property?"

"If Poseidon doesn't have it, where is the thing?" Just keep breathing, just keep breathing. I repeated the mantra in my head relying on my memory of the conversation to keep up. Chiron's words filtered in and out as I tried to cool my rising temper.

"I believe I know." Chiron's expression was grim. "Part of a prophecy I had years ago ... well, some of the lines make sense to me, now. But before I can say more, you must officially take up the quest. You must seek the counsel of the Oracle."

"All right," I said. "where too?"

"Go upstairs, Percy Jackson, to the attic. When you come back down, assuming you're still sane, we will talk more."

Four flights up, the stairs ended under a green trapdoor.

I pulled the cord. The door swung down, and a wooden ladder clattered into place.

The warm air from above smelled like mildew and rotten wood and something else ... a smell I remembered from biology class. Reptiles. The smell of snakes.

I held my breath and climbed.

The attic was filled with Greek hero junk: armor stands covered in cobwebs; once-bright shields pitted with rust; old leather steamer trunks plastered with stickers saying ITHAKA, CIRCE'S ISLE, and LAND OF THE AMAZONS. One long table was stacked with glass jars filled with pickled things—severed hairy claws, huge yellow eyes, various other parts of monsters. A dusty mounted trophy on the wall looked like a giant snake's head, but with horns and a full set of shark's teeth. The plaque read, HYDRA HEAD #1, WOODSTOCK, N.Y., 1969.

By the window, sitting on a wooden tripod stool, was the most gruesome memento of all: a mummy. Not the wrapped-in-cloth kind, but a human female body shriveled to a husk. She wore a tie-dyed sundress, lots of beaded necklaces, and a headband over long black hair. The skin of her face was thin and leathery over her skull, and her eyes were glassy white slits as if the real eyes had been replaced by marbles; she'd been dead a long, long time.

Looking at her reminded me of her walking through the camp to give Zoe a prophecy. And that was before she sat up on her stool and opened her mouth. A green mist poured from the mummy's mouth, coiling over the floor in thick tendrils, hissing like twenty thousand snakes. Inside my head, I heard a voice, slithering into one ear and coiling around my brain: I am the spirit of Delphi, speaker of the prophecies of Phoebus Apollo, slayer of the mighty Python. Approach, seeker, and ask.

I wanted to say, no thanks, wrong door, just looking for Rachel the alive Oracle. But I stepped forward.

"Do I get the same Prophecy as before?"

The mist swirled more thickly, collecting right in front of me and around the table with the pickled monster-part jars. Suddenly there were 3 old ladies sitting around knitting.

"Perseus Jackson" One spoke. "You have a challenging road ahead," Another said. And just like that, they went speaking between themselves. "Are you up for the challenge?"

"It's not like I have a choice." I paused remembering Annabeth's words. "I'm saying that respectfully of course."

"Of course not to worry. would you like to join the conversation? It will be quite important."

Annabeth shimmered from thin air her Yankees cap in her hand. I stepped back in order to squeeze her hand twice in gratitude.

She respectfully bowed her head and spoke the name of each of the fates in greeting.

"It would do you some good to be more like her, son of the sea."

"Duly noted," I muttered and Annabeth elbowed me in the ribs.

" You already know what you must do on this quest," The Fates continue ignoring my comment. " The children of Hades will have no recollection of their past until outside the Lotus Hotel. It is still your job to return the master bolt and Hades' helmet. Despite what Hades says we will make sure your mother is safely returned."

"I don't understand you could have simply given us a prophecy why the visit?"

" We know you all are displeased with the child versions of yourself. We come with a proposition. If you can ally yourself with the majority of the council to aid you in your coming battles, we will restore you to your rightful ages. Understand this decision is completely your own to make. Your enemies will know you come from the future and their plans will inevitably change. You have already changed the course of history by swaying Luke Castellan. The rest won't be nearly as easy. Your friend fought against Kronos' control. The next one might not. There are many very willing candidates ready to take Castellan's spot.

You have to look deeper than the surface son of the sea and daughter of wisdom. It is naive to assume the gods willingly share all their intel with mere mortals. Demigods or not. There were and are many things you still have not uncovered. You have a long road ahead of you if you plan on winning. Everything is not what it seems. First, you must get your cousins, and next you have to find Hades. He will be a good addition to your allies. 7 gods must agree to aid you in any way possible before you can be returned to your prior state of being. Of course, if that is what you decide."

" Thank you, m'ladies we will do everything in our power to complete this quest and gain allies along the way," I said feeling a burst of hope at the idea of being my true self again. The constant dysphoria was dizzying and being looked at as less than for being younger was not something I enjoyed.

"One more thing," Annabeth started as if suddenly remembering something very important. " Rachel Elizabeth Dare. She is the current rightful oracle. Will she be able to come to camp now and claim her place or will she have to wait for the great prophecy to pass?" The fates seemed to converse silently. Finally, they spoke up.

"The curse of the oracle has been lifted. She is welcome to claim her rightful title at any time you deem fit. I will warn you if she becomes the oracle now a meeting like this will not be possible again. Any prophecy's given are fate and will play out as such. We can do only so much to change the original prophecies to work in your favor. The only two prophecies we will not be able to change are of course the great prophecy and the prophecy of the seven." A rock solidified in my stomach. An oath to keep with a final breath. Someone may still die.

"Thank you for the audience. We appreciate all that you have sacrificed to help us."

"It is not just the mortals we want to save Annabeth Chase. We allowed you heroes to be chosen for a reason. Do not fail us. Percy Jackson, we will see you soon."

I didn't like the foreboding in the last two sentences but the oracle went limp and the green fog faded. Were once again alone.

I turned to look at Annabeth. " Are you up for an adventure?"

"As long as it's with you," I smiled at her words and before we could make our way down I decided to bring up what we were both thinking.

" Do you want to take the fates up on their offer?" Annabeth seemed to hesitate before meeting my eyes again.

"I do. I know it sounds selfish and we would have a better advantage not taunting our time travel around but I can't stay like this. Being a preteen was mentally and physically draining but being 17 in an 11-year-old body is like torture. No offense to you but I just can't possibly kiss my 11-year-old boyfriend. It feels wrong." She wasn't wrong. Annabeth and I had barely shared a peck on the lips in all the time we've been back.

"Okay, we'll talk more later with Piper, Leo, and Jason. After we talk with Chiron I have a surprise for you."

Annabeth looked genuinely surprised and raised an eyebrow.

"What kind of surprise?"

"The good kind," I answered and Annabeth just rolled her eyes. "Come on and put your cap back on. Have to get back downstairs before Chiron thinks I've gone crazy.

"You are crazy."

"Shush." Annabeth laughed and together we made our way back downstairs. Her invisible and taking the lead.

Despite the banter I was still on edge and panicky about the fates warning. Would 1 of the seven still die? Would Zoe and Bianca still die? I wouldn't let that happen to them a second time. Everyone here just wanted to live their lives in peace, that was what camp was created for, and instead, they're constantly subjected to death and war and quests for selfish gods.

My stomach flipped thinking about how much I defended the gods to Luke in order to get him back on our side. It shouldn't be like that.

"Well?" Chiron asked me.

I slumped into a chair at the pinochle table. My mood had returned to it's earlier state. "They said I would retrieve what was stolen."

"They?" Chiron asked and I silently cursed myself.

"She, whatever. You know it's rude to assume someone's pronouns just because they were biologically a female doesn't mean they use she\her Pronouns." I wasn't wrong PIper had given me a whole lesson on not assuming someone's gender or pronouns. Not that I would have done that in the first place, I grew up in New York.

"She's dead," Chiron tried to reason but I just raised my eyebrows challengingly. He once again sighed and muttered 'they're'

"Thank you," I said cracking a small grin.

" you know camp is very LGBTQ+ inclusive if that's what you're worried about," Chiron said and I paused. Was I worried about it? For my friends definitely. Nico and Will deserved no hate because it doesn't matter who you love. What about myself? I'd never considered myself anything other than straight but then again Annabeth was my first and only girlfriend. The only person I have experimented with.

My eyes flickered to Annabeth's shadow but I shook my head trying to clear my thoughts.

" I support Lgbtq+ rights and just want to make sure everyone is included and represented."

"No of course. Now onto our more pressing matters. What did the Oracle say exactly?" Chiron pressed. "This is important."

"They said I would go west and face a god who had turned. I would retrieve what was stolen and see it safely returned."

Chiron didn't look satisfied. "Anything else?"

I couldn't tell him about the last line.

Luke had turned so the Prophecy didn't really make sense anymore.

And the last line—I would fail to save what mattered most. I don't not really, if not Hades then the fates will return my mom. My main focus is getting my cousins and stopping world war 3 for the hundredth time.

"No," I said. "That's about it."

He studied my face. "Very well, Percy. But know this: the Oracle's words often have double meanings. Don't dwell on them too much. The truth is not always clear until events come to pass."

I wasn't dumb and neither was Chiron clearly I hadn't given the whole prophecy but it's not like I could if it was an incorrect prophecy. Last time I was just paranoid and scared this time I had a legitimate reason.

"Okay," I said, trying to change topics. "So I'm going to the god in the west?"

"Ah, yes, Percy," Chiron said. "If Zeus and Poseidon weaken each other in a war, who stands to gain?"

"Somebody else who wants to take over?" I said starting to zone out thinking about how much I still needed to do.

"Yes, quite. Someone who harbors a grudge, who has been unhappy with his lot since the world was divided eons ago, whose kingdom would grow powerful with the deaths of millions. Someone who hates his brothers for forcing him into an oath to have no more children, an oath that both of them have now broken."

I snapped back to attention and kept myself from scowling. Hades wasn't even that bad compared to about half the gods. He just wants to be treated equally. He got a really shitty deal

" Are you talking about Hades?" I asked trying to keep my cool.

Chiron nodded. "The Lord of the Dead is the only possibility." Literally, there are about a dozen other possibilities.

"A Fury came after you Percy," Chiron reminded me. "She watched you until she was sure of you're identity, then tried to kill you. Furies obey only one lord: Hades."

" I mean we don't know that she was actually going to kill me. Just scare me or take me to Hades or something."

Chiron watched me passively. "Death was the only outcome of that interaction young hero had I not found you in time. A hellhound got into the forest," Chiron continued. "Those can only be summoned from the Fields of Punishment, and it had to be summoned by someone within the camp. Hades must have a spy here. He must suspect Poseidon will try to use you to clear his name. Hades would very much like to kill this young half-blood before you can take on the quest."

"Great," I muttered. It was getting pretty hard to shake my sour mood and even though Annabeth didn't mention it upstairs I know she was picking up on it.

"Hades sent a minion to steal the master bolt," Chiron insisted. "He hid it in the Underworld, knowing full well that Zeus would blame Poseidon. I don't pretend to understand the Lord of the Dead's motives perfectly, or why he chose this time to start a war, but one thing is certain. Percy, you must go to the Underworld, find the master bolt, and reveal the truth."

That wasn't the problem. My problem was with the fact everyone ignores the truth in favor of blaming someone easily. Hades has never wanted anything other than to be treated fairly.

"Look, I understand," I told Chiron, "I have to go to the underworld and reason with a freaking god and get a very destructive weapon and oh not die."

I was being sarcastic and difficult and nothing like the nice and respectful boy that has dealt with Chiron thus far but between nightmares and old wounds I just wanted to go to the arena and blow off some steam.

"Percy are you okay? Is something bothering you?" Chiron watched me with imploring eyes and I forced myself to meet them and give a small smile.

"I'm fine just tired and missing my mom I suppose." Chiron hummed understandingly and nodded to himself.

" Of course Percy. I'm sorry I realize you're dealing with a lot and this isn't helping your grief."

"So just a run-through," I said eager to move on. "I'm supposed to go to the Underworld and confront the Lord of the Dead."

"Check," Chiron said.

"Find the most powerful weapon in the universe."

"Check."

"And get it back to Olympus before the summer solstice, in ten days."

"That's about right."

"And I'd headed west." The last part was mutter as I tried to figure out the logistics of my quest and if there were things I could avoid.

"The entrance to the Underworld is always in the west. It moves from age to age, just like Olympus. Right now, of course, it's in America."

Lighting was crackling in the sky and I wanted to give Zeus the finger. I was about to go on a life-altering quest for him and he couldn't even show a little bit of gratitude.

"Okay," I said, determined not to look at the storm. "So, I'll travel overland to Los Angelos."

"That's right," Chiron said pleased I knew where to go. "Two companions may accompany you. One has already volunteered if you will accept her help."

"Gee," I said, feigning surprise. "Who else would be stupid enough to volunteer for a quest like this?"

The air shimmered behind Chiron.

Annabeth became visible, stuffing her Yankees cap into her back pocket.

"I don't like being called stupid, seaweed brain," she said. " Besides I'm the only one who's going to keep you alive on this quest.

"If you do say so yourself," I said. "I suppose you have a plan, wise girl?"

She smiled brightly. "Of course I do."

"Okay," I said. "Now I just need one more person." I turned to study Chiron pretending to ponder who I should bring on this quest but of course it was already decided Will would go.

"If he agrees I'd like to take Will Solace."

Chiron seemed shocked. "It hadn't occurred to me that the two of you were friends?"

"We've become pretty close over the last week or so."

" Well if he agrees then you, Annabeth, and Will shall go on the quest."

" A fighter, A strategist, and a healer who is pretty good with a bow. I think that's a great trio." Annabeth said.

"I've never seen this variety of children go on a quest so this will be interesting," Chiron said and I bit back any comments that began to rise in my throat.

"Excellent," He continued. "This afternoon, we can take you as far as the bus terminal in Manhattan. After that, you are on your own."

Lightning flashed. Rain poured down on the meadows that were never supposed to have violent weather.

"No time to waste," Chiron said. "I think you should all get packing."

Annabeth and I hurried away towards the infirmary. We had the foresight to pack ahead so we were prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

When we arrived Will sat on the steps staring at the sky.

"Zeus is pissed." He commented dryly.

"Yeah someone stole his toy that goes boom." We both started snickering and Annabeth just shook her head.

"You boys are children."

"I'm 11!" I protested when Annabeth rolled her eyes.

"Going on 18."

"Whatever. Will we leave for the quest this afternoon. say your temporary goodbyes and pack your stuff. I have to do a few things before we leave." Will stood up and brushed his clothes off. He was wearing white ripped jeans and a camp hoodie which suited him well. His hair was cropped at the sides but long on top. He stood a little less than a head shorter than me which was really an adjustment. Before will stood at eye level with me but now I had to look down to meet his eyes.

" I'll find you guys before we leave," He waved goodbye and I turned to Annabeth.

"What's with the mood? You were sorta rude to Chiron." I winced

"My bad I didn't sleep well after you left and this whole quest is just a bit damper," I said.

"Yeah, I get that. Look on the bright side you'll get to see your mom and Nico and Bianca." I know Annabeth's words were meant to encourage me but thinking about seeing Bianca again after I failed her did not sit well with me. I smiled lightly and changed the subject.

"Come on to the Arena Wise Girl I still have a surprise for you," dragging Annabeth along without a response.

"Seaweed Brain slow down. What is it?"

"Not telling you."

"Why?" Annabeth whined. "You know I hate surprises."

"This one is worth it, I promise." Annabeth didn't answer but I could feel her glower the rest of the way to the Arena.

When we arrived we found the Aphrodite, Hephaestus, and Ares cabin in there. Besides Piper, Silena, and 2 others, the Aphrodite cabin sat around in the stans conversing. Hephaestus and the Ares cabin were either partnered up or ignoring each other completely and doing their own thing. Beckendorf taught Silena sword techniques while Leo sat a few feet away on the floor tinkering and throwing in comments like a wayward toddler. Piper and Clarrise were in the corner sparring and although Clarrise had way more training and was going to win Piper held her own pretty well.

Annabeth and I watched Piper dive in for a finishing strike but Clarrise having anticipated it blocked her and sent Piper's knife skittering across the floor. Following up Piper's legs were knocked from under her and she laid on the floor in shock while Clarrise pointed a knife at her.

After a few beats, Clarrise backed away and let Piper up. They exchanged a few words before Piper made a beeline towards us only stopping to pick up her knife.

" Wow, you did pretty well against Clarrise. I guess you still have your battle techniques." I said when Piper came over but she seemed more in a daze.

"That last part was so hot." piper whispered to Annabeth. I stared at her confused but Annabeth huffed out a laugh.

"Okay, Pipes that's enough sparring for the day go help Leo build his" Annabeth paused trying to figure out what Leo was actually making. "Uhm, whatever that is." Piper mocked glowered but sauntered off anyway. When she got to Leo she simply kicked him in the leg and stole his utility belt to search through. Leo only scoffed and shoved her.

"What did she mean by that?" I asked turning to Annabeth still confused. Annabeth's eyes twinkled with mirth and surprise.

" Well if you didn't know Piper is pansexual as are most children of Aphrodite and let's just say she can appreciate a good spar with a lady." I scrunched my nose thinking about Clarrise that way. I mean she was nice and all and she wasn't ugly but she was always older than me and a bully the first few years. We were friends now sure but I would never see Clarrise that way. It was too weird.

"Clarrise isn't a Lady," I told her which earned another small laugh that made me crack agrin. "Okay, ready for your surprise?"

"Yeah but I don't see anything."

"Close your eyes," I said and Annabeth eyed me suspiciously but did what I asked. I pulled Star out of my pocket and held it out before telling her to open them.

"A pen?" She asked confused.

"Looks are deceiving. Go ahead and take it."

Annabeth took the pen and turned it over in her hand tracing the owl on the cap. She looked up at me trying to hide her excitement. Pulling the cap off Star transformed into sword form. Annabeth gasped.

"It's beautiful," She turned the sword slowly reading its name in greek and muttering it to herself. she turned to the other side and read the wording etched into the sword. Looking up she repeated the words.

"Never Again."

"Never Again." I agreed. Annabeth smiled and hugged me, hazardously I might add. When we pulled away I tugged the sword from her hand.

"It has one more feature." Pressing the bottom like last night the sword turned into a beautiful owl necklace and Annabeth's eyes became glossy.

"Thank you so much Seaweed Brain."

"Of course Wise Girl. It was all Leo and Beck's work I just had the idea. I thought you would like something a little more permanent that would always return no matter what."

Annabeth fiddled with the necklace turning it back into a sword. She spun it a few times and switched it from hand to hand.

"Want to spar?"

"I thought you'd never ask," I pulled riptide out and Annabeth and I circled each other.

"Hey!," Piper yelled momentarily catching everyone's attention. "I bet Annabeth whoops Percy's ass. Please give your bets to Leo Valdez so the fight can begin." Leo scrambled to pull out paper and pen while people slowly started placing bets. I blushed not expecting this to be a spectacle but leave it to Piper to hype up a fight.

"Come on Prissy let the show began. I have 5 drachmas on little Annie." Clarrise called and Annabeth and I returned to circling each other.

I lazily smiled at her and she realized I wasn't going to attack first.

Annabeth rushed at me. She dipped and weaved right as I was about to swing and slashed downwards with my sword. Annabeth met my blade with hers and it gave a resounding clack. Annabeth was quick to back up and dashed out the way, attempting to catch me from above.

I sidestepped to the right just enough and the blade passed a hairsbreadth from my face. Taking the chance I stuck my tongue out at her and she only responded by swiping at me.

Annabeth was still open for more attacks though and I was not done.

I jabbed at Annabeth's midsection using a roman technique and was disappointed when Annabeth simply blocked the blow. I had more practice with sword fighting but Annabeth's reflexes were not slow by any means, on top of that we fought side by side for years even my unpredictable moves were predictable to her.

I brought my sword up aiming a slash at her shoulder and succeeded in taking care to only cut her shirt and not skin. The quick blow had opened me up for another attack and Annabeth obliged me, putting a simple sidekick into my stomach, making me double over. I gasped for breath not expecting the kick but I probably deserved it. That was the only camp shirt Annabeth owned with her name printed on the back. A gift from one of her sisters.

"Sorry I didn't mean it" I protested.

"Don't worry you'll get me a new one," Annabeth responded and if I wasn't still struggling to breathe I would have laughed.

Standing up unexpectedly I swung. Annabeth and I went back and forth and back and forth. Whatever I tried she blocked but I could tell she was beginning to tire. I fainted a swing and instead dropped low to the ground and shot my foot out kicking Annabeth's legs from under her.

The maneuver caught Annabeth off guard as she was left recovering her wits, once again.

I gave her an apologetic shrug as if to say, "sorry" for what was going to come next. I kicked star away and held riptide to Annabeth's throat.

"Do you yield?" I asked breathing heavily Annabeth stared up at me frowning trying to come to terms with what happened.

" I don't know Perseus do I?" I stared at her in apprehension she used my full name and that was never good.

"Look if your mad about the shirt I can-" I made the mistake of letting my guard down and forgetting Annabeth still had a whole knife. She sliced at my pants leg giving me the barest nick but it was enough of a distraction for her to get to her feet.

"Percy hasn't anyone ever told you not to let your guard down. We need to work on that." Without waiting for a response she put the knife away. "For later" and engaged me with Star.

"You've gotten better," I said trying to make conversation as we went back and forth.

"I learn from the best," Annabeth responded as she made a direct stab for my belly button. Against better instincts, I didn't try to block the stab much to everyone's confusion. I stood motionless riptide at my side. It was a weird contrast to the blurring of swords we had going just seconds ago. Annabeth pulled back just in time before she actually hurt me confused and was about to say something when I cut her off by jumping into action. I knocked star from her grasp with the butt of my sword and used my other hand to grab her knife out of the waistband of her shorts. Annabeth's eyes widened in delayed shock as I held both Riptide and her knife at her.

"I'll ask one more time. Do you yield?" Annabeth watched me with a stony expression for a few seconds before muttering something. "I'm sorry what was that?"

"I yield!" Annabeth yelled louder and I smiled before capping riptide and giving her the knife back.

"Percy 7 and Annabeth 6," I said to her and she scowled at me before cracking a grin. The applause went up around us and it was then that I remembered we had an audience.

"Percy wins! Whoop!" Leo yelled proudly. "What I tell you. That's my man. Give me some five." Leo ran up and I gave him a high five before he did a victory lap around me as if he had just won the spar.

"No need to get all excited repair boy. Annabeth will win the next one," Piper said confidently. "But yes great fight good job guys."

All around people muttered about the fight and how they hadn't seen a fight that intense in forever. How they didn't even know Annabeth could use a sword and where did it come from. I gazed over the crowd while Annabeth talked to Piper when my eyes locked onto Chiron.

"Aw shit!" I said drawing the girls' attention.

"What is it?" Annabeth asked and I simply pointed at Chiron.

"What's so bad about Chiron seeing you two spar?"

"Well, dear Piper I'm a new camper with zero training who should barely know how to hold a sword and Annabeth has never liked fighting with swords as long as she's been at camp which is currently 5 years."

"Maybe he only saw the end." Annabeth tried to reassure but with the quizzical look on Chiron's face, I doubted it.

Groaning I turned away. "Can we go find Will? I'm ready to fight some monsters." I said

" Yeah it's almost time to leave anyway and I have to change my shirt." Annabeth picked at her ripped sleeve in disdain,

"I'm sorry about the shirt."

"I know." She gave me a reassuring smile and with the help of Piper who created a distraction Annabeth and I snuck out of the Arena avoiding Chiron at all costs.

We would deal with him later. Right now we had to find Will and prepare to leave.

I totally didn't spend 2 weeks with the entirety of this written out except the last scene because I can't write fight scenes for shit. Yeah so anyway I hope everyone is safe. I've started online school and I don't know how to feel about it yet. Disappointed I won't be in the kitchen for culinary but I think everything else should be fine. At least my social anxiety is safely put away for now. Did you like this chapter? I would love some reviews. I realize people have a lot of different ideas so just let me know what you guys would like to see. I'm excited to be writing Will into the quest. Did you catch his outfit description? I think he looks totally adorable with his haircut and baggy hoodie.

ArtemisApollo97 - (ch.1) I hope your pleased so far and won't kill Leo. If you do you already know what happens to Percabeth and Nico might just take a tragic fall. That is a threat.

LadyHW- (ch.3) Aw your too kind. Hope this chapter was okay I felt kind of iffy about it,

kellyhorse-(ch.3) That was my favorite part to write I laughed writing it down thinking it was a totally perssasy comment. Thanks for reading and reviewing. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

kotlc pj dam fan-(ch.3) chapter 4 dude!

AlEmily360- (ch.3) omg thank you. I read your stories too so it's really awesome to have you review mine.

So apparently I doesn't like me. I thought nobody reviewed for chapter 4. No, it's just I never got the notification. That's okay though, I found them.

the needle-sword expert-(ch.3-4) I'm happy you love it. I totally agree with your idea and plan on doing something to that effect. Thank you for reviewing and I hope you like this chapter.

weirdhead-(ch.4) Thanks for agreeing with me. Luke got a lot more than what he deserved and I'm not sure how appealing I plan on painting him in this story. His redemption arc in the books should have been a lot better and longer. He had a lot to atone for.

PinDropNonsense-(ch.4) I believe I pm' ed you the answer to your question concerning Bianca and Chiron but I don't really have a schedule right now especially since school has started. I'm sorry. Although I do post at least once every two weeks.

ItsYaBoi325-(Ch.4) Yes I agree with Percabeth for the win. Hoped you enjoyed this chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

748 127 23
Percy Jackson never wanted or asked to be a half blood, but he is. And finally, after so many years of fighting the gods are finally giving him and A...
296K 3.7K 52
It has been one year since Gaea was defeated, one peaceful year. However, Camp Half-Blood is changing, and Percy doesn't know why. With Annabeth and...
14.7K 169 18
A normal day at camp half blood. Well, if you call your future selves falling from the sky normal then ok! I don't want this to be one of the huge 3...
2K 13 24
Gaea is in a daze. The Demi-gods wait for the worse. As they wait they grow up. Get married, have children. Deal with tartrus flashbacks. Then Piper...