Knight in Skinny Jeans

נכתב על ידי ilike2write

Samuel Stonewill must find the treasure that his dead father has left for him, but doing so would mean defyin... עוד

The Museum
The Garden
The Treasure

The Library

64 4 0
נכתב על ידי ilike2write

“You want a room with view or without?” I asked her in the hotel lobby.

“Whatever you like.” she said, her mind still in the book.

“Two rooms with garden view.” I told the manager.

“Your keys sir.” he said as I paid him in cash.

“Don’t you have a credit card?” Anna asked me in the elevator.

“Credit cards can be tracked.” I told her and knew she understood.

“So we really are fugitives?’’ Really this girl gets excited for all the wrong reasons.

“Sam!” Anna knocked on my door after 5 minutes.

“I’m in the shower. Go away.” I shouted from the bathroom.

“Come out quickly.” she insisted.

“Just a minute.” I shouted grabbing a towel. I covered myself with it and opened the door.

“What?” I asked her as I opened the door. She entered my room pushing me out of the way.

“I found the library.” Anna said with enthusiasm. Her eyes looked like that of a kid who was just promised a trip to Santa’s house at the North Pole.

“What library?” I wanted to finish the conversation as fast as I could, considering I was dripping wet. It was awkward standing in a towel in front of a girl I knew only for a couple of days. I could see that she was avoiding looking at me. Luckily she refused to register the awkwardness and carried on with her talk.

“The third building, the clue, the treasure.” she said trying to seek my attention by waving the book in front of my face.

“Get out, now.” I said trying to sound calm but the anger in my voice was evident.

“Okay, I’m going.” Anna said dumping the book on my bed.

I locked the door behind her and dried myself with the towel. After getting dressed I wanted to take a nap. But I couldn’t resist the invitation of the book. I sighed and opened the book. It was titled ‘The moon is always shining’. I pondered on the title for a while but it rang no bell. I hadn’t heard about this book anywhere. I searched the book for any signs or notes, but the book didn’t have a single mark on it besides the printed text. However, on the last page, this was written in black ink- ‘Property of Gilbert Library’. It wasn’t that hard, I thought and mentally patted myself for cracking the clue. Then I had a long nap.

“Do you want to discuss our next step?” Anna asked me. She was sitting on the bed wearing white trousers and a dark green tee.

“We’ll go to the Gilbert Library.”

“And where exactly is this library?” she said challenging me.

“You don’t know?” I asked in disbelief.

“So you know.” Her eyes shined.

“Of course. It’s like the most amazing library in the entire world.” Now it was my turn to stare at her like she was a fool for not knowing that.

“No, it isn’t.” she said furrowing her brows.

“Yes it is. My dad used to go there all the time. He said…Oh,” I said as realization hit me. It wasn’t a famous library; it was my dad’s final clue.

“Where is it?” Anna asked eagerly.

“If we hurry we can catch the next train, it leaves in about…15 minutes.” I said glancing at my watch.

“You know it would really help if I knew our destination.” Anna said while waiting at the station.

“Ferasjing.” I replied.

“I have never heard of that place.”

“That’s exactly why I didn’t tell you. It’s a small town in the middle of nowhere.”

“How is it?” she asked.

“I have never been there myself. My dad used to tell me about it.”

“So how did you know which train to take?”

“That. I just saw the station listed at the schedule at the train station.” I laughed a little.

“Excuse me, sir! Where can I find Gilbert Library?” I asked a man. We had been in Ferasjing for about an hour and had asked almost a dozen people about Gilbert Library, but no one had a clue.

“Are you sure this is the right place?” Anna asked me when we stopped at a bar to get some drinks.

“It has to be.” I said with passion. I wanted to believe that my dad had told me something about the treasure, at least through his stories. I took a sip of my beer.

“Maybe Gilbert Library isn’t really a library.” Anna suggested. It made sense, the clue was too easy.

“The girl’s right.” the bartender said suddenly, “I believe you guys are looking for me.”

“You?” Anna and I said in unison.

“I’m Gilbert Library.” he declared.

“That’s a… um… unique name.” Anna said.

“It’s a nickname.” Gilbert chuckled, “My real name is Gilbert John Solinsky. I got this nickname because I like collecting books, books you won’t even find in a library.” I could hear the pride in the last sentence.

“Do you recognize this book?” I asked him handing the book.

“Hmmm…‘The moon is always shining’. I gave it to Lenny. It’s been decades since I met him. You know him?”

“I’m his son.”

“You are Lenny’s son? How is he?” Gilbert asked with a heart-warming smile, but it made my heart sink.

“He’s dead.” Anna supplied, realizing that I couldn’t say it.

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that.” Gilbert said. The smile on his face disappeared. After a minute, he shouted, “Wally, take care of business, I’ll be back in a few.” He went through the backdoor and signaled us to follow. We did.

It was a two minute walk to his house. His house was small but tidy. And it was filled with books. He took the book I gave him and placed it on a shelf between two books-‘The Plain Pain’ and ‘Pope to Keats’. I spotted my dad’s favorite book- ‘Tears and Laughter’.

“There is someone you need to meet.” he said sitting on the couch. He gestured us to sit and we did.

“Who?” I asked him. This was going nowhere near the treasure. It looked like there was one more clue.

“Your mom.”

“But my mom …” I was lost for words.

“She is alive and well. You should hear the whole story first.” Gilbert looked at me and continued, “It all started years ago, before you were born. Your dad and I were in college together. We were best mates but I lost all contact with him one day. His cell was switched off, he wasn’t at his house and nobody knew anything about his whereabouts. It was like his existence was wiped off from the face of the earth. Then, after a few years I got a call from him saying that he wanted to meet me. I rushed at fast as I could to meet him. There he introduced me to a heavily pregnant woman named Marie.”

“My mom.”

“Yes, your mom. He told me that he was a spy but he got kicked out because he fell in love with your mom. Your mom was a spy with the enemy. She got kicked out too. They both got married and lived happily for a while but one day the government came to capture them. Lenny had got the information in advance. So they managed to escape.”

“Why was the government after them?” Anna asked.

“Marie had some information about the enemy nation that our government desired. She didn’t want to turn against her country and so the running and hiding began. They stayed with me till the delivery. Then they managed to fake her death. The government didn’t want anything with Sam or Lenny. Marie went into hiding and Lenny took Sam to a friendly environment. They both wanted Sam to have a normal, healthy childhood. Lenny told me that one day, when he is ready, his son will meet Marie.”

“Then why didn’t he tell me anything?” I asked with anger.

“He called me a few months ago saying that the government had found out about their ruse. They didn’t know her address but they were onto him. He also said that he had a backup plan ready and you will find me soon. And I should tell you the whole story.”

“So where is my mom?” I asked frantically.

“I don’t know.” Gilbert said in a grim voice.

“What do you mean by you don’t know?” I said raising my voice.

“Lenny just told me to tell you the whole story. I don’t know anything more. I’m sorry.”

“How am I supposed to find her? I don’t even know how she looks.” I was on the brink of tears.

“Wait a minute; I have a photo of her somewhere.” Gilbert said and went through a door on his left.

“Don’t worry, we’ll find your mom.” Anna said squeezing my hand.

“Here it is.” Gilbert handed me a photo. It was of a young couple with a new born baby in the woman’s arms. I could recognize my dad, but the woman was a complete stranger to me. But, she wasn’t for Anna.

“I know her.” Anna shouted as she stood up.

“You do?” I asked with hope.

“How can you? Who are you?” Gilbert asked her with doubt in his eyes.

“She owns a coffee shop in Paris. I have seen her plenty of times. She’s older but she is definitely her.” Anna said in a single breath.

“Anna Black, you really are my Knight in skinny jeans.” I said kissing her on the lips.

“Well, right now I’m wearing trousers, so…”

“Don’t ruin the moment.” I advised.

“Sorry. Let’s make another moment.” she said and kissed me.

“Uh..uh..” Gilbert said clearing his throat and we broke our kiss.

“Sorry about that.” I said sheepishly. Anna was suddenly very busy staring at her shoes.

“It’s alright. I need to go back to my bar. Give your mom my love.” Gilbert said getting out of the couch. “I want to say visit again but I’m inclined to advice the opposite.”

“I can understand.” I said hugging him.

“Well there was one thing I wanted to ask.” Anna said coyly.

“Yes?” Gilbert asked.

“Could I borrow ‘Le Joueur’? It’s so difficult to find.” Anna said pointing at the book shelf.

“Consider it a gift from me.” Gilbert said picking up the book from the shelf and handing it to Anna.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

165K 5.2K 34
"do i look like i give a shit if he's poseidons son?" water from the fountain splashed into her face, dripping from the dark ends of her hair "the f...
600K 20.2K 85
Child of the Eldest Gods from the East, Heiress of Earth and Legacy of Stars and Magic, Has the Affinity to Balance the Peace of Nature, Fated Love i...
578K 14.2K 43
Psycho brothers and a little angel sister sounds not so good together right? so what happens when an sweet angel comes live with her lovesick pyscho...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...