Forced Mate

By ICJudah

Isabelle Slate had gone her whole life looking forward to finding her mate- the one who'd look after her, lov... More

Forced Mate
Main Character Boards//Introductions
Character List
1: Mate
2: Departure
3: New Torture
4: Kiss
5: Marked
6: Nightmares
7: Introductions
8: The Bylaws of American Packs
9: Rejection Begets Death
10: Threats
11: Pride
12: Induction
13: Explanation
14: Picnic
15: The Luna
16: The Pied Piper
18: The Reunion
19: Christmas
20: Run
21: Màthair
22: Mysticum Lupi
23: Fatum Circulo Facit
24: Home
Epilogue

17: The Investigator

8.2K 172 33
By ICJudah

Lea tosses me an apple from across the kitchen, her auburn hair whipping with the force of the throw. I catch it, thankfully, quite easily and place it on the table by my breakfast plate. "What are you up to today, Iz?" She asks as she slides into the chair across the table from me. I shrug and push my grits around with the end of my spoon.

            "Probably just wandering, reading—the usual. I don't have much else to do," I finally take a bite of my food and frown. These need salt.

            Seeing my expression, Lea slides the shaker across the smooth, wood tabletop. I catch it and douse the grits with the seasoning before diving back in for more bites.

            "You should come to the swimming hole with us. It should be a nice day."

            "Won't it be cold?"

            "It never gets too cold here anyway. Plus, the forecast is for the seventies—I think we'll be fine."

            "Who all is going?"

            "Me, Jason, Neil, his mate Rita, and Grant."

            "Poor Grant—always the odd man out."

            "Not if you come! I know you two are good friends."

            "I don't know, Lea," I twirl my spoon in my food. "Jaxon is still pretty mad about another situation—"

            "—You turning him in to the Council through Alpha Hayes?" She interrupts, her face showing no sign of judgment or any emotion, really.

            "Yes," I clear my throat. "I don't know if he'd be pleased with me going to the swimming hole without him, especially with everyone paired off except me and an unmated guy."

            She snorts, "It's Grant."

            "Doesn't matter," I shake my head. "He's extremely jealous."

            "Maybe, you should ask him to come with," She shrugs, then reaches over the table and takes a bite out of myapple.

            I scowl at her for only a moment before returning my mind back to the conversation, "I guess I could ask. He's going to say no, though, and then he's going to tell me I can't go because he wants me to be miserable."

            She lets out a laugh at my comment and continues to eat. Apparently, the truth is funny.

            We chat a little here and there as we finish our breakfast, mainly focusing on her life and what she's doing. She takes online classes, pre-med, at a local university and works at a nearby hospital. I try to be interested in what she's telling me, but it's difficult when all I can think of is how I'd like to be able to leave here every once in a while. When we're done, we toss our disposable plates and she says, "We're leaving in about an hour for the swimming hole. Let me know what Jaxon says!"

            Then, she's gone in a flash of red and I sigh, slowly making my way toward the stairs and up to Jaxon's office on the second floor. I shouldn't have to ask him for permission to do what I want. I'm an adult.

            Don't think of it as asking for permission, think of it more as just letting him know because you respect him, My inner wolf makes a rare appearance in my mind, but I quickly shut her out. I'm mad at her. She won't manifest, leaving me as a weak human but with a dumb animal spying on my thoughts.

            When I finally make it to the door of Jaxon's office, I know he knows I'm standing there, waiting. I don't knock or anything, dreading the conversation.

            "Come in if you're going to, Isabelle," I hear his voice through the crack between the door frame and the door itself. I push it open a little further and step into the frigid room. Jaxon is sitting behind his massive desk, appearing as menacing as ever.

            "Hey," I mumble, coming to a stop in the middle of the room, far enough away from his desk but close enough not to be weird.

            "What do you need, Isabelle? I'm busy," He continues to scribble across pages, evidently signing documents.

            "Oh, if you're busy, then i-it doesn't matter," I chicken out, my feet automatically backing me closer to the door.

            "Isabelle," He says, his tone level and impassive as he drops his pen and crosses his fingers over the pages, icy blues gluing my feet to the floor. "What do you need, darling?"

            Darling? That's weird.

            "I was trying a thing," He sighs, "but I don't think either of us liked it." I shake my head in agreement and a small laugh escapes both of us, easing the tension of the room.

            "Um," I finally chime in when the laughter has died down, "Lea and some people—your friends, actually—are going to the swimming hole in a little while. She invited me—"

            "You don't have to ask me for permission to be with my pack members, you know? As long as you stay here, I have no problem with you roaming or doing as you please, within reason."

            "Well, I was going to ask if you wanted to come with us," I twist a piece of my brown hair around my pointer finger. "But, if you're too busy, I understand—"

            "I'm not," He interrupts, unexpectedly, sliding his chair back and standing. His muscles flex underneath his gray button-down and my eyes follow the buttons to the belt around his waist and his fitted, black slacks. I can see... everythingthrough his pants and I quickly move my eyes back to his face. Shit. He saw me staring. "Besides, I wouldn't want to deprive you of a chance to see me in my swimsuit." He winks at me, of all things, and I furrow my brow.

            "Who are you, and what have you done with Jaxon?" I let slip past my lips, but he smiles at the comment with a shrug.

            "Guess I'm just feeling it today."

            "So you're not mad at me anymore?"

            "I didn't say that. But the way I see it, that was before your induction. I was in the wrong, and you couldn't have known it was Hayes. All the Mistletoe freaks look like that."

            I laugh at his very Jaxon-like comment at the end and lean into him, as he's now standing in front of me from moving as he spoke. Resting my head against his chest, I hear the constant rhythm of his heart. It speeds up as I hold onto him and I laugh, "Your heart is beating so fast."

            "It's because you're near," He mumbles, pressing a kiss to the top of my head. I laugh and fist his shirt, bringing him even closer to me.

            A resounding knock on the door interrupts our embrace and I step to the side, smoothing out my tank top and shorts. Jaxon does the same with his shirt and commands, "Come in."

            Grant pops his head inside, his usual boyish grin wiped from his face. "Alpha," He says solemnly.

            "What is it, Grant?"

            "There's someone here to see you... and Isabelle."

            "Who is it?"

            "I-I don't know, but..."

            "Grant?"

            "He says he's from the Council... the American Council of Werewolves."

            Sitting by Jaxon behind his desk, I press my hands into my lap to keep them from trembling. This is real. The Council actually sent someone to investigate. He seems like a normal enough werewolf, his age showing in his graying hair and smaller wrinkles across his complexion. His briefcase is open in the chair next to him and he methodically removes his materials like he's probably done hundreds of times before. The last thing he removes is a recorder, which he places on Jaxon's desk. Jaxon's icy eyes flick to it, then back to the interviewer. He hasn't looked at me once since this man, Mr. Richards, announced himself.

            If he wasn't angry before, I'm sure he is now. He doesn't show it, though, because his face is wiped of all emotion.

            "There we go," Mr. Richards offers a small smile as he settles back into his chair with his notepad. "Alpha Thames, Luna Slate, on behalf of the Council, we aren't here to make any assumptions. The Moonlight Pack has been nothing but a friend to our organization and the werewolf community. However, due to the accusations made by Luna Slate not too long ago, we must investigate every avenue thoroughly. I will interview you separately, to cross-examine the stories, then I will take my information back to the Council headquarters and see if it warrants a trial. Luna Slate, we'll start with you. Alpha Thames, if you will clear the room."

            "I'm not leaving," Jaxon says resolutely, working his jaw.

            "I think Luna Slate will be more comfortable if you go, Alp—"

            "I'm—not—leaving—!" Jaxon snarls, his eyes clouding black as his wolf takes over and he flies from his seat, the chair hitting the wall so hard that it punches an indentation in the plaster.

            "Alpha Thames—" Mr. Richards begins and I can tell he holds some type of Alpha position by the tone of his voice and the way he suddenly postures himself in his chair.

            "Mr. Richards, it's okay. I'm fine with Jaxon being here—it doesn't make me uncomfortable," I quickly assure him, knowing the situation will only escalate more if it continues the way it's going. "Jax," I say quietly, placing my hand on his bicep, "it's alright. I'm right here."

            As I speak to him, his breathing slows and his eyes slowly turn back to that chilling blue. He blinks a couple times, as if he's unsure of what happened in the last minute. He clear his throat and adjusts his shirt before lowering himself back into his askew chair.

            "I... apologize, Mr. Richards. My wolf is agitated, as I haven't been for a run in a couple weeks. It won't happen again."

            "Why don't you go for a run now, before our interview? You say it won't happen again, young man, but with a caged wolf it always will."

            Jaxon breathes deeply through his nose and I squeeze his shoulder. I'll be okay, sweetie, don't worry about me.

            Sweetie?

            I was trying a thing, but I don't think either of us liked it.

            He tosses me a small smile, then turns back to the investigator. "Fine. I'll go for a run. I'll be back in thirty minutes, though."

            "I'll be ready for you when you return," Mr. Richards gives him a short nod as he begins to leave. Before he goes, he presses a chaste kiss against my temple, fingers grazing my lower back.

            "Call if you need me," He mumbles and I know he doesn't mean physically, but through our telepathic line. I nod and slowly sink into the desk chair as he goes, my focus shifting back to the man in front of me. He clicks the record button on the recorder and I exhale slowly. Deep breaths, Isabelle.

            "Does Jaxon always get that angry about small stuff?"

            I shrug, "He has a short fuse. In his defense, he doesn't go for runs very much anymore. A lot has been going on."

            "By 'a lot' do you mean Jaxon's imprisonment and force claiming of you? Not to mention, his inducting you while you're still an unshifted wolf despite the risks?"

            "H-How did you know about my induction?"

            "It doesn't matter, Luna Slate. You wrote the letter to us, not the other way around. You wanted us to hear you out, so that is what I'm here to do."

            "Then, let's get started."

            "When did you and Jaxon become mates?" He begins to write and I sigh.

            "August, so four months ago."

            "When did he force-claim you?"

            "Uh—August as well. It was that first week I was with him."

            "And then the induction?"

            "That was last month."

            He scribbles the information down and I tuck my hair behind my ears nervously. Why am I nervous? I think it's because I'm unsure of how I want this to go. Part of me wants him to suffer, but the other part wants him near me.

            "And you mentioned emotional abuse in the letter as well as imprisonment. Can you tell me about that?"

            "W-Well, he threatened to find a new mate, which he did for about two seconds. He hasn't allowed me to contact anyone from my old pack and he keeps me here. In his defense, I-I haven't asked to contact anyone from my pack lately. He may agree now that I've been inducted," I mumble.

            "Yes, now that you've been inducted and you can't permanently leave Jaxon without dying."

            I don't say anything, but we both know it's true. "What about the bond? Has he ever used that against you?

            "If I die, you'll feel it as well. You'll die too, eventually. The Council can kill me, but they can't make me sever the bond." Jaxon's words from a month ago play through my mind. Does he still feel this way? He hasn't said anything of the sort since then. We haven't spoken about any of this, truth be told.

            "I—uh—yes," I finally answer, honestly.

            "How?"

            "He was angry when I sent the letter. He wanted me to redact it, but I wouldn't. He just made it a point to say that he wouldn't sever our bond. I can't sever it because he's the Alpha and I'm unshifted still."         

            "If he severs it now, you'll never gain your wolf form."

            "That's what he said, too."

            "So, he threatened you?"

            "Not in so many words."

            "It's still a threat, Luna Slate."

            "I-I know how this makes him sound," I stutter out nervously. "B-But we're coming to understand one another, finally. I don't think he'd do any of what he did before again."

            "He doesn't need to, Luna," Mr. Richards stops writing to look at me, "because it's already done. Has he ever physically hurt you?"

            "O-Other than the marking, no. Not on purpose, at least."

            He pauses his writing again and sighs as he places his pen down, "May I be candid, Isabelle?"

            "O-Of course, Mr. Richards."

            "It seems to me that you were miserable and hurt when you sent the letter off. Then, Jaxon suddenly gets the brilliant idea to induct you, making it where you can no longer have him punished without punishing yourself. Moreover, the induction and the marking together are unbreakable. No matter your feelings before, those two in compendium will bring together the most polarized of mates. Now, you have this urge, this desire to protect him at all costs. I think, you may be trying to downplay his treatment of you because of the new physical, emotional, and spiritual connection you have with him. And even if you wanted to redact your claim now, I would not allow it—not until I've heard from Jaxon and gone over all the details more thoroughly."

            "That is a... fair assessment," I finally decide on the words I want to say after his honest declaration.

            "I think I've heard all I need to from you, for now, at least. If I have any more questions, I will be in contact with you. Please call for Jaxon."

            I call Jaxon through our line and it's only a few minutes before he's entering his office wearing athletic joggers and a fitted t-shirt. His hair is wet and his skin is sweaty, indicating he just got back from his run.

            "Good run?" I question lowly and he cracks a smile at me.

            "It will be better when you can go with me," He tucks my hair behind my ear, then slides his hand down to my shoulder and gives it a brief squeeze.

            "Luna Slate, thank you for your time. It's Alpha Thames' turn. He will be out shortly."

            I leave the office, stomach flipping and tied in knots after my interview. I didn't lie, but maybe I didn't defend Jaxon enough? Our relationship is improving, that's for sure. I don't think any excuses would've helped my defense, though, since Mr. Richards chalked them up to my newfound induction. I can't say he's wrong. Even though I enduringly despised Jaxon before my induction, right after it we had sex for the first time. I couldn't stop myself. I couldn't help myself. It's as though my feelings changed by magic.

            Fucking moon goddess, making all of this so complicated and basically giving mates no choice. I suppose it's a good avenue for those who aren't attracted to one another, but what about cases of abuse, like mine? What then?

            I'm conflicted. He shouldn't get off scot-free because he did do something wrong. He doesn't deserve to die, though, nor does he deserve to lose his pack. He loves them and they love him. Moonlight wouldn't survive without his guidance... I wouldn't survive without him.

            I should've said any of this to Mr. Richards, but of course, I didn't. Jaxon has admitted he wants forgiveness and he's explained himself, but he's never actually said the words "I'm sorry" which is what makes me hesitant to excuse him. I guess he's sorry? Truly, I'm not sure. I sigh and lightly bang my forehead against the wall. What am I going to do? What is the Council going to do?

            The door to Jaxon's office opens and I right myself. Their interview was quicker than mine. Did Jaxon merely pop off and kick him out? I hope not, that would only make things worse. "I'll be in touch if I have any more questions. I will also be calling some of your pack members to get outside perspectives on the situation. When I've come to a decision, I'll make my recommendation to the Council and they will be in touch. Good day." He gives Jaxon and myself a nod as he goes and I let out the breath I'd been holding in.

            Jaxon doesn't say anything to me for a long moment and I just know his anger is rekindled at me. "J-Jax—"

            "I think your swimsuit is still in the closet in my room," He says over me, pushing off the door frame and closing his office door behind him. "We better get changed if we're going to go with them."

            "We-We're still going?"

            "I told you I would."

            "So you're only going out of... obligation?"

            He lets out a belabored sigh and gives me a pointed look, "I'm going because I want to. I want to have a fun day with my mate and my friends and not have to worry about anything.

            "Y-You're not mad at me?"

            He shakes his head, "I'm not mad because you didn't do anything wrong. Look, I know I fucked up, so I deserve whatever the Council gives me. I'm not going to take it out on you. I wasn't protecting you, so you had to protect yourself. I get it."

            I give him a befuddled look at his surprisingly calm and mature statement.

            "It's the run," He says, catching onto my train of thought. "It really helped me refocus and gain control of my wolf. If you haven't noticed, he's usually the one driving the car."

            "Wow, really? I would've never known," I scoff sarcastically and he laughs along with me, slinging his arm around my shoulders.

            "Let's get you changed into your swimsuit," He says, leading me down the hall toward his bedroom in this house.

            "You as well," I say, placing my hand against his side and feeling the rock hard muscle there.

            Once we're inside the room, he closes the door behind us and begins to strip off his clothes. As soon as that muscular torso comes into view, I lose all common sense and begin pulling off my clothes as well, saying, "How much time do we have before we have to go?"

            "I don't know, maybe ten minutes?"

            As he's turned around, I sneak up on him, coming up close to his back and pressing my fully naked body against his, "Quickie?"

            A wide smile splits across his face and he turns his body to where he's facing me, all of his parts comingling with mine.

            "Don't mind if I do, Luna Slate," He mumbles, pressing his lips firmly against mine. We kiss for a moment before I pull back.

            "We can't be late, okay? It has to be quick."

            "It won't take me long to make you come," He mutters, pressing his open mouth against my neck and pulling my skin into his mouth. My laugh turns into a moan and I press him even closer, allowing him to push our bodies onto the bed.

A/N: LIKE, VOTE, COMMENT!

I tried to get this chapter out fairly quickly for you guys. I love that you guys enjoy it but please don't comment/message me about updating. I will update when I update. Now that that is out of the way, here are some questions:

1) What should Isabelle have done about the Council? Do you think she did the right thing?

2) What about the change in Jaxon? Do you like reasonable Jaxon? Do you think he'll stick around?

xoxo,

IC Judah

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

426K 11.5K 23
#274 in soulmate #296 in Werewolf 9/17/16 He seems nervous and then he takes a deep breath and speaks up and his words are like venom piercing throug...
1.6K 6 48
Claire always dreamt on having a normal life but never had one. She grew up in a small town but moved to a city when she was ten with her stepmom and...
962K 19.1K 24
Meet Evangeline Marie Wisteria - A werewolf who was abused and tortured by her pack, The Moonlight Pack. The rejection of her mate, Alpha Xavier Maxw...
1.3M 33.9K 39
Della King has been a rogue for eight years. She left her pack and family at age fifteen when she found out her mate had died. After running for so l...