You're Still The One *slowly...

By LaraRuze

'You didn't answer my question,' he asked, holding her gaze in his hypnotic ones. 'Wh... what question?' She... More

Copyright and Prologue.
Chapter 1
Chapter 1 ( part 2 )
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
#nomorebullying
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Epilogue
Book 2: You've Got A Way (completed)
Book 3: With Or Without You (completed)
Bonus Chapter; an entry from the second book - You've Got A Way.
Exclusive Chapter: Sammy (Part 1)

Chapter 9

63.1K 2.5K 194
By LaraRuze

Emma placed sloppy kisses on both Sarah's and Sammy's chubby cheeks, while Sarah grinned Sammy -- the rough and tough little one rubbed his cheek groaning. But they both returned the affection giving quick kisses on Emma's both cheeks making her smile.

She engulfed them in a short hug. "No funny business, don't run around too much and no trying to run to the streets. Ask Jenna if you want to talk to me, okay?"

"Okayyy...," They chorused together, shaking their heads up and down several times. 

Their mischievous eyes, however, were saying that not many of those commands were going to be followed. But then again, this was what childhood was all about -- being naughty, trying to break the rules, doing things in their own way.

But a parent has to do what a parent has to do. Try slowing them down a little so they wouldn't go out of control and go to the total wild side while growing up.

Jenna was their baby sitter, a middle aged woman always with a pleasant smiling face, friendly and utterly good to kids. A total grandma material she was, but way too young to be one. Sarah and Sammy liked the woman, but what they didn't like was listening to anyone other than Emma.

Door bell rang twice and Emma opened the door to let Jenna in. 

She left the house and kids under Jenna's care and authority after showering another pair of kisses to the little ones.

Today she wanted to take a ride of that subway train to her office. All the while wishing that her broken down car which was getting repaired in the garage to get well soon. It had been just three days since her long term companion - the second hand SUV had betrayed her for the first time in two and a half years right in the middle of the road. And already she was missing driving her own car, it had a feeling of independence in it and Emma was itching to get that feeling back. 

Unfortunately though, she got a call from the mechanic yesterday. Apparently, her car's life line was in the way to it's funeral. It seemed like this was the final indication for Emma to buy a brand new vehicle.

While walking in her white blouse, pencil skirt and work heels, Emma pondered over the idea. Yes, she could definitely do that -- buy a new car. Her salary had increased last month and she was hoping for a promotion soon. So it wouldn't be that bad to get themselves the pleasure of having a new car.

Unlocking her office door with her card, Emma walked in. She placed her shoulder bag upon the work desk with a sigh, knowing she had A long day ahead. It was the busiest day of the week and never failed to leave her exhausted.

She made herself comfortable in her swivel chair, thinking that when she would get home she would talk about buying a new car to Sarah and Sammy. Though they were just five and a half years old, Emma never looked down at them. She treated her children almost as equals... almost. And as a reward she had earned respect from her children, not by scaring them how other mothers would. But yes, sometimes she had to behave a little scary... well, that was the demand of being a mother.

She chuckled to herself while turning on her computer, a heated argument would surely arise over the color choice of their future car - "blue or pink".

Emma was still smiling when there was a knock at the tinted glass door, she looked up from the computer to see Jonathon's head poking in through the slightly opened door. Emma made a fake irritated face.

Jonathon. 

Being the boss of this banking domain, he was dominating and controlling but only a few knew that he had a total different side to his personality, a friendly and a very kind one that is. One of those few to know his this side was Emma. Jonathon liked her and trusted her over all the confidential issues and prospects of the company. It was from him Emma got the hints of getting a promotion soon.

"ehh... Jon... don't you have anything to do other than annoying your employees when they are working." Emma said smiling.

Jonathon made his way inside and helped himself to sit upon the edge of her desk knowing too well that Emma hated when he sat over there, it seemed to her as if he was attempting to intimidate her. Standing up grumbling and leaning across the desk Emma pushed Jonathon away.

She grumbled shaking her head. "My boss is so annoying !!"

Jonathon laughed, "Only because annoying you is so damn funny."

He sat in a chair now across the desk and Emma too sat back shaking her head smiling.

"You were late Emma. Ten minutes." He was in his boss mood suddenly and slumped against the back rest with a blank look.

"Sorry boss. It won't happen again, the baby sitter was a little late today." Emma apologized seriously.

Jonathon rested his elbows on her desk and folded his hands there. "It's alright Emma, just make sure to stay true to your words."

Emma nodded her head in affirmative feeling slightly embarrassed, rarely any rules of the office was broken by her and those few rare times were always unintentional.

"And I am completely sure you wouldn't disappoint me." Jonathon added. "By the way, how are the kids?" He asked.

A genuine warm smile spread across her lips at the mention of Sarah and Sammy. "As naughty as they always are of course, too eager to start school."

They talked for a couple of minutes about kids, Emma was thankful to find such a genuine friend in her boss who would always listen attentively to her. Though as a boss he was an a**, always picking up errors and all, being all hyper and over serious about work but as a friend - that was a totally another story.

Emma looked at Jonathon confusedly, she thought he would leave now. It was rare that he stayed in her office for so long. Added to her confusion he was looking a little... nervous? But about what?

Jonathon smiled a little tensely while looking at her, he stood up. "Well. Emma..."

He trailed off looking like someone invisible had been choking him.

Emma raised one eyebrow. "Yes Jon, you want to tell me something. Is it anything serious?"

There was a pause for a long silent second, it seemed like he was battling over something inside.

Finally he spoke up clearing his throat. "Armmm... I have called for a meeting to discuss about the progress reports, be there in the conference hall in time huh..."

Just like that, he was gone - in a dash.

Emma tilted her head sideways in confusion. "Strange." 

Shrugging her shoulders Emma stared at the closed door for a while, with a sigh she then got busy with the pending works thinking it to be one of his odd days.

-------------------------------

-------------------------------------

Brandan had his laptop upon his stretched legs, his back resting against the headboard. He was already done with rechecking the information about the newest clients when with a thud a bundle of magazines were put down upon his bed right beside him. Brandan first lifted his head up from the laptop to look at the pictures of all the hot, spoilt, egoistic socialites and wannabe girls secretly searching for billionaire eligible bachelors in the city and then he looked up towards a determined looking Martha. He then again looked down... puzzled.

Brandan was confused, was Martha planning to volunteer in providing new models for the advertisement of their company?

"What's all this, mom?" Brandan asked.

Martha crossed her arms.

Okay! He had a feeling that whatever she was going to say would definitely piss him beyond limits, her defensive posture only assured that.

Martha said finally. "These are some very gorgeous girls, Brandan."

Brandan was still confused. "I can see that, mom. But for what reason they are resting upon my bed, may I ask ?"

Martha suddenly sighed, her shoulders slumped down and hands fell to her both sides. The earlier defensive posture vanished. "Brandan. Life can't be passed like this... alone, and living without a person to share all your happiness and pain. I want to see you happy, son, it's high time you get married. Choose a girl from here, meet her... take her to dinner. Or if you like anyone else, tell me..."

As Martha kept on explaining, Brandan rubbed his brows utterly ridiculed by the ideas his mother was throwing at him.

"Mom! I've told you before, and I am telling you again now. Don't worry about me, I am fine and please... don't push me on this marriage thing. Please." He said with frustration.

 Martha threw up her hands desperately. "Brandan... get over her. Get over Emma, for god's sake, she's dead."

"MOM!!"

Brandan yelled as the word left her mouth, Martha gasped at the choice of her own words. She didn't mean to hurt him but she was so frustrated on Brandan still grieving over loosing Emma. In one weak moment after almost three months of Emma's demise, Brandan had confessed to Martha that he was in love with Emma... that he felt terrible to not realize it before, to not make things right when it was possible.

Martha croaked. "Brand..."

Brandan closed his eyes putting the laptop away, "Please, mom. I don't want to talk about it right now."

 She tried to apologize with sadness gripping her heart. "I am..."

"Its alright, mom. Really." Brandan didn't let her say sorry, he knew he was hurting everyone around him but what could he do. 

He didn't open his eyes to look at Martha not wanting to let her see the waves of pain in them, usually he would hide it well with a veil of anger and arrogance but there were times like this when all the veils would seem so transparent that using them proved to be futile.

"Just leave me alone for a while please." He said in a soft tone, Martha's own eyes were moist when she left his room.

------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Emma called out from the door. "Where are my cupcakes?"

Sarah was coming down the stairs with her puffy bear snuggling it to her chest clearly after having a long nap, with one hand she was rubbing her eyes. She yawned opening her mouth as wide as she could.

Jenna followed her down and went to grab her coat and purse on her way to call it a night seeing Emma was there.

"Mommy." She dizzily ran the rest of the way and hugged Emma's legs.

This was what Emma always looked forward to.. this was what kept her excited to return home at the end of a long tiring day. Emma picked her up on her hips after throwing her shoulder bag onto the couch, she went to the dining room. Sammy was playing with his neighbourhood friend Steeve in the backyard, Emma saw through the window.

Pouring herself some cold water in a glass Emma inquired. "What happened, my baby had been sleeping for so long ?"

Sarah hummed in response resting her still sleepy head on Emma's shoulder, her one hand clutching the puffy toy. She couldn't sleep without it, it was her favorite toy.

With the back of her hand Emma felt her forehead leaning Sarah's head back a little. Her temperature was a little up, hence the extended sleeping.

Jenna's voice came from behind, "Sarah is having a little fever I guess, I was there with her all the time and also padded her forehead with wet clothes..."

"You should have called me Jenna." She said worriedly.

Jenna smiled apologetically, "I didn't want to worry you Emma and her fever seemed not that much serious, anyways you were going to come back in a few hours."

Emma sat Sarah down in a sofa who whined groggily but stopped when Emma kissed her on the head. Sarah was all too cuddly and clingy when ill.

"Call me next time please Jenna if anythings wrong with my children." Emma said worriedly with a slightly raised voice.

Jenna looked genuinely guilty. "Alright, Emma, I'll. And I'am really sorry."

Emma slid up the window glass and yelled out calling for Sammy.

"Mommy's home Sammy. Get in now."

Sammy snapped his head back to look at Emma and waved a hand smiling.

She then turned with a smile to Jenna. "It's okay, Jenna. I know you didn't want to disturb me. It's just that I don't want to take any risk with them, they are my everything, Jenna. Nothing else matters but them, whatever I do is for them only."

She glanced at Sarah lovingly who had once again fallen asleep lying on the sofa.

Jenna gave a squeeze on Emma's shoulder and proceeded to leave saying, "I'll be here on time tomorrow."

Right when she had left Sammy emerged through the backdoor running, sparkling with his extra perked up energy and clung to Emma's legs almost making her fall on her back.

Emma chuckled. "Easy there big boy, listen..."

Pulling Sammy a little away from her body she bend down on her knees and ruffled his hair affectionately and then appreciated how cute he looked with that headfull of messy hair... just like Brandan.

Emma bit her tongue. It was weird how much similarities Sammy had with Brandan, not just the looks but some of their behaviors too were so similar in a creepy sort of way.

"Sarah has a little fever." She told him.

Immediately Sammy's face fell as his head snapped to look at his sister sleeping oblivious to world on the sofa. He looked at Emma worried.

"Is it hurting her, mommy?" He asked with concern.

Emma poked a stain of mud from upon his nose which made him crinkle his nose. "No. She is just feeling tired and sleepy."

Sammy made a face of deep thinking while Emma continued, "I need you to watch over her huh... while I change my clothes and get freshen up. Okay?"

Sammy felt proud as Emma gave him this responsibility, yes... he would protect his sister and look after her.

Sporting a serious, firm expression, Sammy answered, "You don't worry mommy, I will look after Sarah."

To Emma it felt like Sammy pledged his life to the country. Damn... this boy was so good, he would be a soldier one day - Emma day-dreamed.

Emma left for her room upstairs to quickly get herself out of these uncomfortable work clothes and put on her pyjamas. She had always taught her kids to be independent, responsible and to care for each other. The result was both of them being more understanding than all the other kids of the same age.

Emma came back to find out there were now three people in the living room. Sarah was still asleep on the sofa as Sammy watched over her like a hawk standing upon her head and Elli was sitting in the couch looking curiously at Sammy.

"Elli, how was everything at work today?" Emma inquired.

There were some complications going on with a grumpy client over designing the most peculiar websites of all websites existing - according to Elli.

Elli scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Ohh... as always Emma. I swear, one of these days, I'm seriously going to end up killing someone."

Emma dramatically sighed, "Let me know when you make that murder plan, I would be more than happy to accompany you."

Elli got up and chuckled, "Thanks for your hearty support, buddy. You're so kind."

Emma lifted Sarah up in her arms and slowly started her way upstairs.

"Is she going to be alright, mommy? What are we going to do now?" Sammy asked strolling behind Emma, looking extremely worried for his sister.

"She will be alright, Sam. If it turns worse, we'll just have to call the doctor at night." Emma replied.

Emma settled Sarah in her bed and tucked her fluffy toy beside her, which she cuddled with a cute sigh. She measured her temperature, it read hundred and one. Poor baby! Emma kissed her forehead. She would have to wake her up a little while later and put some food in that stomach and also a Tylenol, she hoped that would work against the fever... or else just like what she said to Sammy, she would have to call the doctor.

It was going to be a long night.

Turning around she saw Sammy still looking at Sarah like a hawk. Emma studied him from head to toe, he was looking like a ghost caught up in a ugly mess, all covered in dirt and mud.

"Well Sam... I see you need a major clean up." Emma pointed out to the little boy.

But Sammy was worried about his little sister only who looked so much pale that it was freaking him out a little now.

So he asked instead. "What about Sarah?" 

Emma held his tiny wrist and lead him to the attached bathroom. "She will be just fine, let's have her some rest. Remember last time when you had that flue, you were in bed almost the whole day."

Sammy snorted, those were the worst days of his life. He wanted to go out and play with Steeve but he felt so weak, tired and dizzy... and that freaky headache would never go.

After feeding Sarah some porridge and medicine, Emma carried her to her bedroom. There was no way she was going to let Sarah sleep alone when she was ill. She asked Sammy to join them tonight but as usual he denied.

Sometimes his ego would remind Emma of... Brandan. He had this same attitude... this same stubbornness.

As Emma ran her hand through Sarah's hair after turning off the light, she felt the mattress sink behind her, a tiny hand encircled her waist. Sammy had finally decided to let go of his ego. Maybe his fear of the monsters under the bed had worked as an influence.

"Goodnight, Sam." Emma whispered.

A sleepy voice answered yawning, "Goodhnighth mommy..."

No. She was doing a good job, the genes weren't as powerful as her love and upbringing. Her kids would never grow up to be horrible beasts like Brandan and Evan. She would make sure of that.

-----------------------------

--------------------------------------

Looking at the star lit - bright sky, Brandan rested his elbows upon the cold, chilly metal of the railing. His balcony... his favorite sanctuary, was now dark, and that was what he liked it to be. That way, nobody could see him. Brandan laughed silently for a while at the irony. He had drowned himself in darkness, too far away from everyone's reach, so that no one could ever see how beastlike his soul... his inner self was, so that no one could know of what horrendous deeds he was capable of doing.

Brandan shifted on his feet as cold breeze blew past him making his silky dark brown hair ruffle rhythmically.

It seemed like he was counting stars like the small nerdy kids often do but in actual, the truth was something else. He was trying to find something or rather someone. A certain girl who was supposed to be up there looking down at him with her twinkling soul.

Brandan sighed frustratedly. He couldn't find her over there, above the sky. He was unable to locate her among those sparkling mysterious stars, and he felt lost. Lost in this meaningless life which was similar to hell.

And he, for the millionth time wondered why the hell he couldn't realize what he felt for her. Was he that much blind by his ego and so called social life? Like every night the answer echoed back. Yes, he was.

The darkness of the lonely night then embraced him, there was no defense left in him to prevent the agony that attackedhis conscious and subconscious entity this night, and every night and every moment of his life.

________________________________

___________________________________________

Helloooooo friends, please vote and comment if you like this chapter. :) How are you feeling about Sarah and Sammy's charachters and how do you think they will contribute in uniting their parents in near future? Or will they even contribute??? ;) Don't forget to let me know about your views as I really adore them.

Take care. Tada!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

I Crash You By Mon

Short Story

862 21 49
[NOTE: ICY HAD COMPLETED THE HEAVY EDITING CREAM, PLEASE INFORM ME IF THERE'S STILL ANY MISTAKE. THANKS] Lynx Farren had always acted base on her imp...
15.3K 971 42
How come you change this much? You love me right then why you always keep on insulting your love. " She said and he just scoffed before saying " I do...
834K 8.5K 16
Calliope's ex-boyfriend, her high school sweetheart, crash-landed back into her life like a rom-com sequel she never ordered, ready to rewrite the sc...
776K 18.3K 17
"How dare you!!" His stare and cold voice made me step back with fear scared of what he will do "You clumsy woman!! Keep those disgusting hands of yo...