Amasa

Od wordtyper

A young Princess in precolonial Zimbabwe has many obstacles to face before she can taste freedom. Will the we... Více

Chapter One- A hidden life
Chapter two- Anticipation
Chapter three- The questioning
Chapter four- Royal anxiety
Chapter five- Chioneko, my beauty
Chapter Six- keep it quiet
Chapter seven- A snake in the grass
Chapter eight- love or lie
Chapter nine- mourning festivities
Chapter eleven- Evening butterflies
Chapter twelve- Internal struggles
Chapter thirteen- Fleeting secrets
Chapter fourteen- The loathe of a man
Chapter fifteen- Questionable interactions
Chapter sixteen- Storm before the calm
Chapter seventeen - Mixed emotions
Chapter eighteen - Winnowing chaff
Chapter nineteen- Simmering conversations
Chapter twenty-Mending relations
Chapter Twenty One- Chasing love
Chapter Twenty Two- Murky relations
Chapter Twenty Three- Forever trepidation
Chapter Twenty Four- Dimming lights
Chapter Twenty Five- Inevitable Changes
Chapter Twenty Six- Arbitrament Preparations

Chapter ten- Good intentions

39 7 0
Od wordtyper

It was late. The dark and steady yonder of the night relaxed the elders to retire into their huts ,while the evening wildlife croaked lullaby's that gradually closed the exhausted children's eyes into a deep sleep. For the youth however, there was a restlessness to celebrate, the festivities had just begun.

The festival bonfire continued burning as they jubilantly danced, vigorously shaking their waists and stomping their feet from the energy that came from the excitement of the night. This vibrancy unfortunately did not carry itself into the witch doctors hut.

 Muvuri's room was dim and filled with smoke from the struggling fire burning in the center of his hut. The thick ashy fog irritated Runesu's eyes and the floor upon which she sat scraped on her shins,nevertheless she did not complain. Runesu could finally converse with Muvuri freely under the pretense of a sacred cleansing ritual to abolish all the evil spirits she carried that caused her to be of bad luck.

"If you have plans, make sure that they're completely thought through.... you must be insane for coming to the rain festival as an eligible maiden."

Muvuri was visibly angry, cross legged on the floor ,he kept rearranging the beads and bones he had purposely spilt on his hut floor.

" I was dragged into it Muvuri, Amasa has grown curious about my relationships with people in this kingdom ,especially Menhe... This morning I was trying to deter her from finding out the truth."

"You need to understand one thing, I am not your walking stick ... I am not here to help you. I rescued you from being exposed due to the fact that I still have loyalty to my own blood."

Runesu scoffed. Due to Muvuri's 'visions', Amasa was hidden away in a palace prison, her movements were restricted and her life was wasting away, how did that show loyalty to Muvuri's blood?

" How are you being loyal to your own blood living in enemy terrain? You are just endangering all of us Muvuri... Too may people know too much! I know it was you who gave the Shintu warrior access to the Tiramu river, how did he get there? Even Rima knew details about the spy too... can you even explain how he found out?"

Muvuri calmy scooped up his beads and bones with both of his hands as he placed them into the leather pouch tied around his waist.

" I respect you because you are of royalty Runesu, that is the only reason I will not question your intelligence. I am not your ali, Rima is... hence I do not owe you any explanations either, however, I am still compelled to justice. Amasa needs to be reunited with her tribe, this is why I did not utter a word when you were assigned as her maiden."

Runesu crossing her arms let out and heavy sigh.

" You are endangering my plans! The Pokoda walls and Karimba village has been surrounded by warriors for many days now....I have no way of escaping out with Amasa undetected! You need to report all your actions to me before you do them, at this point all our efforts are clashing!"

Tightening his leather pouch with his thick skinned callous filled hands, Menhe slightly looked up at Runesu.

" I am not the firewood to your fire... I do not recall you being there for me when your father tore my back into shreds with cow whips... do not exasperate me."

Muvuri calmly continued speaking.

" I did not have power in your kingdom Runesu... but here in the Pokoda, you will dance to my rhythm."

" Do not trample on my toes Muvuri, do you hear me? I can ruin this little facade of a life you are leading... if Toga were to find out what you're really doing you would die in an instant!"

Runesu was now uneasy and filled with anxiety, her efforts where crumbling right in front of her .

" And you? You wouldn't? You are an imposter.... you are Narufu's daughter! His biggest threat! If I should die I'd make sure you do so before me.... You foolishly chose to play with the wicked, now you have to follow Rima's every word... don't try and involve me, at least my actions stand independently."

"Why am I suffering for my father's actions? I had no voice in my kingdom and I still do not have one here! I just need to get my sister back! Why can't you have pity on me and help me... she is all I have."

With a few tears trickling down Runesu's cheek, she quickly wiped them with the back of her hand. Muvuri smirked as he looked up to meet Runesu's gaze.

" Are you done with your crocodile tears? I'm sure you did the same when I was sentenced to death. I would happily wash my hands clean with those tears of yours... I did my part, you weren't exposed for your lack of cultural knowledge at the festival. Do not expect any more from me, I did more than enough, you can take your leave now."

"Muvuri I loathe you, they say blood is thicker than water... no one mentioned how much easier it is to drown in blood."

" You need to stop feeling sorry for yourself...and deal with that warrior who has taken interest in you, he's been asking of you in the village. Never come to my hut again, I am casting a blind eye. I am done with you."

"I am not my father Muvuri!I was a mere child when you experienced his benevolence....what was I meant to do heee? Take the whips for you? I still barely understand the reasons that surrounded your death sentence."

Runesu started sobbing softly. Her face slightly brightening like a young fire from all the eye rubbing she was now doing. She wouldn't let it end there, Muvuri had to give her a standing chance.

"You can open up to me Muvuri, let me understand your pain, don't push me away because of my fathers actions."

Muvuri was very still. Holding a very nonchalant look on his face. He looked down as if he was thinking of what to do next.

"A berry from a poisonous bush can claim to just be fruit... it doesn't know the pain and suffering it can cause. You were born of the wicked. You want me to relive my pain so that you can understand? I'm trying to live a burden less life... that's why I got away from your people, your traditions, your land."

Standing up from the floor, every move Muvuri made was exaggerated by the projected movements of his bones underneath his dull dry skin. He continued to speak in a soft low voice.

"My life has been too weary to feel empathetic for people especially you, even if your heart is pure and true."

Seemingly unmoved by Runesu, Muvuri dragged his feet as he went to hang his pouch on the wall next to his other ornaments.

"Wherever I am, I am a slave because of my father's actions...stop letting in spies, I will get my sister to Shintu land by myself. Don't look out for me, don't interrupt any of my plans in a futile attempt to 'rescue' me, I now view your help as mockery to my competence ."

lifting herself up from the floor, Runesu got up and gently opened Muvuri's door, allowing herself out to be surrounded once again by foreign chanting and pagan music for another rain season. Her heart sunk as she realized that she had to pass through the villagers still gathered at the bonfire in order to reach her 'family hut' located in the outskirts of the village.

Looking down, rapidly walking around to avoid the villagers...Runesu hoped no one would notice her and try interact with her. An older villager would possibly be able to pick up light nuances in her behavior and her different tonation in speech if conversation was carried on for too long.

The beat of the drums were exhilarating and enticing. Rising up in a roar and mellowing out into quick soft blows, Runesu had a slight urge to go and blend in the shadows of the crowd away from the bright glimmer of the bonfire. The hosho's were vigorously shaken to the point that one felt as if they could hear every seed placed inside the instrument, the mbira being gently plucked on was sending tingling sensations of delight to every listener. Continuing to walk straight down, Runesu was almost in silhouette with the branched out msasa trees, soon she would be in the clear...in the shadows.

"Runeeeeessssuuuu! Runesu!"

Arggghhh , Vabhebhe just had to be there.

"Runesu!"

Taking numerous fast paced steps toward Runesu, Vabhebhe's stomach vibrated as he quickly made his way to her.

"Runesu? Why aren't you indulging in these cultural festivities heee? This is a time we can truly be ourselves without our elders being overbearing! I heard that you have finally come of age to be a dignified woman and mother, congratulationssssss!"

What did he mean 'we' and 'Our elders?' Why couldn't Vabhebhe recognize that he was one of them? The stench of fermented milk on Vabhebhe could be smelt from the tiramu river and back, he was drunk.

" Good evening Vabhebhe, thank you but I am tired... I would rather retire and go to bed now, goodnight."

" Hohooooo Ikeke! You are missing ouuut! Your man will be taken.... he is a trout to these falcons of women clawing at each other for his attteeeennttiiooon, you hear meeeee, hiiiissssss attttttennntttiooon!!!"

Vabhebhe was screaming, Runesu was now closing her ears with her palms . Frustrated, she dragged Vabhebhe behind a nearby tree.

" Eeee I know I have one wifeee but you are not suitable as my second! Don't temmmpt me!"

"Vabhebhe keep your voice down! I told you I do not want to be at the bonfire so let me quietly go to my hut!"

" Ikeke! I am not coming with you! Let go of my hand! I know my succulent abdomen enticeeeeesss you but you are better than this Runessssuuu!"

"Vabhebhe haaaa! You are not going anywhere with me! I said I am going to my hut....not you, it was not an invitation for you to come with me! Just leave me alone and let me be !

" last time I checked, it was not me who was caressing my wrist..."

Looking down Vabhebhe's arm...Runesu forcefully pushed his thick fleshy wrist away from herself.

"I wasn't caressing your wrist..."

" I have known it since you appeared at the palace Runesu....your hate for me was abnormal! You are different!"

"What are you talking about Vabhebhe.I said shhh... keep your voice down!"

Runesu was now fearing the worst.

" I know that you are... that youuuu areeeee!"

"Vabhebhe I am warning you one more time or I'm calling your wife!"

Runesu was out of options. Vabhebhe's wife was the only weapon she could use against him.

"That you are intensely infatuateddddd by my enticiiiiinnnnngggg presence!"

A sigh escaped Runesu's mouth and her nerves were slightly reduced.

"Ok Vabhebhe, you can leave now, leave me alone alright..."

Turning Vabhebhe around and pushing on his rounded shoulders, Runesu gently nudged Vabhebhe back in the direction of the bonfire , hoping that he would leave her alone.

" The men are having another round of beer Vabhebhe... can you hear them calling you?"

"Beer?"

Runesu could see that Vabhebhe was already imagining the village men seated in a circle, whirling the beer in a hari, taking a sip and passing it along.

"Yes beer Vabhebhe....hurry before every last drop is finished!"

"Ikeke wait for me! I know those greedy men! Waiittt for me!"

Tilting his head slightly to the left...Vabhebhe started trotting forward with his forearms fixated on his chest resting on his belly.

"I'm coming!"

Finally. It was a close call. Turning back to her path, Runesu was grateful Vabhebhe was taken care of.

"Thump!"

Quickly turning her attention back behind her, she knew Vabhebhe did something again.

"What is it noooooow...."

The sight of Vabhebhe fallen on the ground in front of a shadowy figure silenced Runesu.

"Is there a problem here?"

Lifting her gaze, Runesu's heart leaped as her eyes locked with his.

"Chima ..."

This night didn't want to end.

...............................................................................................................................................
Hello my Jelly babies🤗
Hope you are doing well and enjoying the book so far.
Let's get to 500 reads guys... I know we can do it.
Much love for all your support.❤️
Remember to vote for every chapter and comment.
Let's find out what's going on in Pokoda together 🙊
I know you want to😉
Xoxo
Wordtyper

...............................................................................................................................................

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

149K 5.8K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
70.2K 5K 39
🇿🇼🇿🇼🇿🇼😤❤ *** Julian Greyson has braved the pyramid of Tutanakhamun, sat down with a Laibon from the Masai Trib...
5.4K 1.5K 52
The old world is dead. After a major catastrophe rocks the planet, massive tsunamis swallow coastlines and destroy cities. The remaining survivors de...
18.6K 1.6K 34
Dive into the intriguing story of two strangers from northern Nigeria, united in an arranged marriage, with unique love stories and heartbreaks, they...