Fallible

By UmmSalmaan

She didn't know she had it for him this bad until Umaymah told her he will be travelling out. It wasn't like... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one

seven

191 29 2
By UmmSalmaan

The maids in the Adebola mansion have been working their butts off. It was a last minute arrangement. Alhaji Ibrahim had called his sister and informed her of his trip to Lagos with the family.Mamman Suhail saw this as an opportunity.Shequickly called her husband to inform him and request if the engagement can be done at the mansion, since Alhaji Ibrahim will be coming with his wife and the children. Arch Adebola has fondly called by his friends was the indifferent type when it comes to issues like this. He was only firm at business and education matters. He believes choices like this should be made by those who are involved. On the other hand, he knows parents’ intervention in matters like this means love and protection. He had given his wife the go-ahead to make plans for the engagement. His marriage to her wasn’t arranged, he doesn’t understand where this arranged marriage is coming from. Maybe there was more to it. He hopedMamman Suhail was making the right decision.

Mamman Suhail had forced Mubeen along with Suhail and Maymah to the jewellery shop. They were supposed to buy an engagement ring.  Mubeen had tried to make his mom see reasons this won’t work. He had tried talking to her, giving her attitude, threatening not to consummate the wedding if it ever takes place and even divorce. All these weren’t enough to change his mom’s stance. He had talked to his father about it and his father advised sabr and prayers. According to him, what is destined will surely come to pass, and what is not, no matter how much he tried, won’t happen. He literally just gave up and decided to watch how things unfold. He was not seeing someone anyways. Mubeen didn’t even come down from the car, he and Suhail sat there pressing their phones. Suhail’s marriage wasn’t arranged. Why was their mom insisting on Mubeen’s? Suhail had talked to their mom about it but she refused and said she had prayed about it and was convinced this is good for him. Maymah and their mom were the ones who picked the design of the ring they liked and some set of jewelleries as gift for Maryam.

The moment Suhail drove in; Mubeen got down and went straight to his room. He just needed to calm down so he doesn’t lose it. He had been working on his dad’s advice until he saw her at the kitchen that evening. He couldn’t fathom what he felt. Yes, he felt something strong for her years ago which he got over. This new feeling seemedvery different, something he had never experienced. He had been thinking about it since she left. It was different from what he felt years ago. He was confused. He had looked forward to seeing her every day since he got to England, although he wasn’t desperate. He had imagined what she looked like but she was prettier than he daydreamed. And her bashfulness ignited something in him. This is the reason he didn’t want to come home in the first place. He wasn’t ready for the headaches and heartaches this is causing. He was doing fairly well at least before Salmah came into the picture.

It was late at night and the adebolas were still expecting Maryam and her family. Maids were putting final touches on the arrangements. They had cleaned two guest rooms, prepared dinner for the expected guests, bought all ingredients and spices to be used for cooking the following day. They were also waiting for their arrival so they could wash the dishes and go to the boys quarters to get some sleep. They have to wake up very early for the next day’s event.

Mamman Suhail and her husband were seated on the sofa in the living room. They were watching ISLAMIQA on Islam channel when they heard avehicle honk. They both stood up and headed for the gate. They met the gateman on their way out and told to him to open the gate.Mamman Suhail hugged her brother the moment he parked and stepped out of the SUV. It’s been over 5 years she last saw him. He lived in Kaduna while she lived in Lagos. She hardly went home, only sent money home from time to time.  She hugged his wife too as they exchanged pleasantries in their language. The men shook hands and hugged. Mamman Suhail placed her palms on Maryam’s face and kissed her forehead.

“the older you grow, the more beautiful you become” Mamman Suhail said sweetly.

Maryam smiled and mouthed a thank you ma. Mamman Suhail scooped Lubnah from the floor like a baby. Lubnah laughed, Hajiya Ruqayyah was her favourite aunt. Well, that’s because she sends her a lot of gifts as per the baby of the house. She was ten years old.They all walked into the living room. Mamman Suhail showed Alhaji Ibrahim and his wife their room; and Maryam and Lubnah theirs as well. She went back to instruct the maids to set the dining while they had their shower and changed into something comfy.

The following morning, Mubeen met his uncle at the estate’s mosque after Fajr. He left the house before him and daddy. He greeted him as they shook hands and hugged. Once they got home, Mubeen went into his room. He needed to get ready for the engagement because his uncle’s family will be leaving early. It was a Sunday and they have to get home as early as possible to prepare for Monday. They had been in Lagos since Thursday.

Three hours later, the whole family were in the living room. Maryam was on a cream and chocolate abaya. She wrapped a brown veil over her head. The kohl in her eyes shone beautifying her fair face. She resembled her father, taking after Mamman Suhail’s complexion. She was seated at the extreme leaning herselfagainst the wall and Lubnah on the other side. She kept staring at Mubeen like he’s a model from a fashion magazine. Mubeen sat at the diningtable engrossed in his phone. The elders were talking and deliberating when Suhail came in.

“salam alaykum warahmatullah” Suhail announced, his youngest son in his arm.

They had been waiting for him to arrive before they begin. Once, they were seated, Alhaji Ibrahim started with gratitude to Allah and salutations upon Rasulullah. Without wasting much time, he went straight to the reason behind the gathering.

“Ah... as we all know that this is supposed to be an engagement between Mubeen and Maryam. However, the last time both of them met was when they were in primary school” and the room echoed with laughter

“Though at our end, it’s a yes from Maryam.And I’m aware that Mubeen has also given a positive response but it’s necessary for you both to meet and at least recognise each other. So Suhail and Rahmat can escort you both to the visitors’ living room while we make some deliberations, In shaa Allah.”

Mubeen was on a white thobe with a blue and yellow cap. He stood up and walked out, Maryam and others following him. He sat on the three seater settee and implored Maryam to sit as well.

“We will be at the door. Five minutes only” Suhail said and left with his wife.

Maryam wasn’t the very shy type. She looked up to meet his eyes and admired his beards, neatly carved. She smiled at him which made Mubeen quite nervous. Mubeen was not interested in this whole charade in the least way. He wanted this whole thing to end just as fast as it began. Maryam was shamelessly ogling at him. He cleared his throat.

“Hi” Maryam said still grinning

“Wa alaykum salam. It’s been a long while. Trust you are good” Mubeen spoke

“Yeah... I’m very good. Alhamdulillah”

“Okay. So...so, do you have any questions”

“Yeah... I heard you are still studying in the UK. Are we going to live there after marriage?” she asked grinning

Mubeen squinted his eyes at her. Seriously, this is all she could comeup with? Why is she even getting her hopes high? She wasn’t his type at all. He needed to voice out once and for all.

“No, because we won’t be getting married. Actually Maryam,I am not ready to get married. This is all my mom’s idea and I already told her I’m not interested but you know...” he bit his lips and stroked his beards in nervousness.

Maryam had been day dreaming since the proposal came for her. She had toldsome of her friends that she will be getting married to the famous Mubeen Adebola. She had imagined her life as the daughter-in-law of this wealthy family. What was Mubeen saying? Is he alright at all? After all the mouth she had made? He had better be joking...

“Maryam... do...you...hear...what I said” he asked her,yet to comprehend her reaction.

“I’ll wait till you are ready, its fine. No problem.” She shook her head

“No, it’s not like that. I won’t want to keep you till a time unknown. It would be selfish of me. I pray you meet someone better than me. I’m sorry Maryam, I can’t do this. I’m really sorry, I can’t”

“Who is better than you? And did I say I even want to meet him? Why are you praying on my behalf? I’m not complaining about how long you intend to keep me. It’s not being selfish, it’s because you like me right? Right?” she looked at him expectantly

Mubeen wiped his face with his palm. What kind of trouble is this? He doesn’t even like her! Or maybe, he’s indifferent about her. If a 5-minute conversation can’t flow, he can’t. Not with her. This is a waste of time.

“Time-up” Suhail said entering the room. He noticed the tensed atmosphere.

“Please Ya Suhail, just a minute” Maryam pleaded. Suhail stood still, wanting to understand what’s happening.

“I’m sorry Maryam. It’s a NO from me. I like you as a cousin, as a family, not as a fiancé, or someone I look forward to getting married to.” Mubeen said and stood up. Maryam walked out on him to the main living room.

“Baba, I thought you said Mubeen really liked me and wanted to get married to me” she snapped.

They were confused. They thought of what must have happened.

“Mubeen, what did you say to her” his mom demanded
Mubeen gulped. He was trying to subdue his anger. He really didn’t want to raise his voice at his parent.

“I told her the truth mama. I told her only the truth” he faced Maryam’s parents “I’m very sorry, very sorry. I can’t do this. I am not ready for marriage or any commitment yet. I’m sorry Maryam.” He concluded apologetically and went to his room. Suhail tried to hide his smile. He was glad mubeen stood his ground.

“Ruqayyah, can you explain what’s going on here?” Maryam’s father questioned as calm as possible. “I thought you said Mubeen sent the proposal through you, that he really liked Maryam and couldn’t wait to get married to her. And I asked you how come, you said he saw some pictures you showed him and what you told him about her. Was all that a lie?” his voice was getting louder.

Mamman Suhail couldn’t utter a word. She placed her head on her palm and kept staring at her feet. Alhaji Ismail would never have believed this if he was told. His wife doesn’t tell lies. Why now? Suhail led other children out of the room and closed the door behind him giving the elders the space to settle this.

Mamman Suhail had thought Mubeen had succumbed. She was wrong. She felt very embarrassed. She had always wanted one of her sons to marry from her tribe. And since Mubeen wasn’t forthcoming with a girl of his interest, she decided to play the arranged marriage game. She forgot that Mubeen was Yoruba and cousins are intimate family members. Although, it’s allowed in Islam, Yorubas don’t take to it, let alone an arranged marriageof its kind.

“I’m sorry Yaya. I misunderstood him. He said he liked her when I showed him her picture. He said she was beautiful. I thought if he saw her physically, it will ignite some feelings in him and maybe give marriage a second thought. It was just the normal likeness of being family he shared, apparently. I shouldn’t have pushed further. I’m very sorry Yaya” she said, filled with guilt and remorse.

“You shouldn’t have done that Ruqayyah. Haba mana! It’s fine. We will be taking our leave now.”She was so glad they haven’t told other family members, it won’t be this easy to settle. Her brother had always been the calm and reasonable one. That she was thankful for.

“I’m sorry Mamman Muhammad. I’ll pack your breakfast and order the maids to put them in the vehicle.” She faced her brother’s wife. Mamman Muhammad nodded and left to pack their things.

Once they were ready to leave, Mamman Suhail called Maryam to the aside and gave her the jewelleries. She pleaded for her forgiveness and Maryam gladly forgave and collected the gift. At least, there’s something to show for coming to their mansion. They got in the SUV and Alhaji Ibrahim drove out of the compound.

She knew she still had to convincingly plead for her husband’s forgiveness. She had hoped this will work out remembering Mubeen’s smile when they talked via skype. He had complimented Maryam after listening to his mom talk about his cousin and seeing her picture. It wasn’t the first time his mom sent him pictures of his cousins and telling him about them. He didn’t even for once thought along that line until Suhail told him of their mom’s plan. She needed to seek Allah’s forgiveness and Mubeen’s. She was truly sorry.

Maymah had eavesdropped on the elders. She was very curious as to what happened. She found it all hilarious as against the hurt and sadness others felt. At least, Salmah got a chance with her brother, that’s what mattered to her. Although Mubeen wasn’t aware of what transpired, he couldn’t stand anymore drama. He booked a flight to Bristol for the following day. He was going back to England. His phone beeped showing a new message. He checked and saw it was from Farhan:

Meet me at the Royale lounge by 5pm. Zahrah will be coming too.

His lips slowly formed into a smile. Something refreshing to keep his mind away from the mess was all he needed. At last he will be meeting Farhan’s Zahrah. He typed a reply, read it again and tapped the send icon.

In shaa Allah bro. You are paying me to be your chaperon ; )

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 76 8
A TALE OF ACCEPTANCE OF IMPERFECTIONS. ______________________________________ She loved him but not anymore. He never loved her but he is falling for...
2.6K 307 16
#BOOK ONE OF THE MUSLIMAH'S SERIES He met her just when he thought no woman could ever crush his ego, an egotistical conceited jerk he is and a billi...
104K 12.1K 50
He loved her so much. She loved him even more. But all of a sudden she couldn't remember all the love they both shared. Only time can tell if the For...
4.3K 451 17
"Listen to me Qurratul Ayn, before you go, I want to know; did I ever offend you? Is my love for you too little?" I can feel his hand hovering over m...