Date Her Instead Vol. 2

By SaturnaliaBlackrose

It's been 2 1/2 months since Haruna Endo and Kanako Nakatomi agreed to a deal posed by Akio Miyashita, the bo... More

Chapter One: Understanding The Pain Of One's Own Heart
Chapter Two: Childhood Friend Versus Present Friend
Chapter Three: Sleep Talking
Chapter Four: Knife And Pan
Chapter Five: The Fight
Chapter Six: Can We Start Over?
Chapter Seven: Oh
Chapter Eight: A Girl Named Kanako
Chapter Nine: A Look In The Mirror
Chapter Ten: A Night And A New Divide
Chapter Eleven: Uptown
Chapter Twelve: Out Of Reach
Chapter Thirteen: One Last Summer Sha-Bang!
Chapter Fourteen: It's Time To Go
Chapter Fifteen: This Is Luxury?
Chapter Sixteen: Fun In The Sun
Chapter Seventeen: Lie To Yourself, Desperate One
Chapter Eighteen: Here
Chapter Nineteen: Love, A Small Step Forward, And Failure
Chapter Twenty: Secret, Secret, Tell No One
Chapter Twenty-Two: A Pair Of Declarations
Chapter Twenty-Three: Looking Back
Chapter Twenty-Four: Changing
Afterword

Chapter Twenty-One: Awkward Encounters

193 10 6
By SaturnaliaBlackrose

Just after Haruna left the room to go downstairs, Kanako began to stir. She had gotten the feeling that someone had been staring at her, creating a scene in her dream of a black bear glaring at Kanako like she was a piece of meat. Opening her eyes, the sleepy girl shook her head. "That was weird," she thought. "Is it because of the bear from the other day?"

Deciding to not give that dream further thought, Kanako shifted out of her futon and began to get ready for the day. She folded her sheets, made sure the futon was put way properly (then stared at Haruna's, which annoyed her a little bit due to the fact it WASN'T put away at all), then Kanako went to get dressed.

"Oh. Right..." she sighed to herself. "My clothes are in my room, which Mi-chan took over..." Kanako sat back down. "Now what? I hope she comes out soon. I can't really spend all day in these pajamas." As Kanako waited, she thought back on her last interaction with Michi. "... I get the feeling that today is going to be uncomfortable." Then Kanako flopped down onto her back. "This was supposed to be fun. How did it turn out like this?" she wondered.

For a moment, Kanako stared at Haruna's futon. Truthfully, while she had definitely been bothered by the fact that Michi had basically commandeered her room, Kanako had also been glad. "I'm happy that I got to spend so much time with Haruna like this," she thought. "Our relationship... is starting to feel like how it used to be." However, on second thought, Kanako realized that that wasn't quite right. It was certainly true that she and Haruna were on better terms with each other than they were several months ago, but the dynamics of their relationship were different from before.

In the past, Kanako and Haruna's friendship had consisted more of Haruna just telling Kanako what to do. Oftentimes, their days spent playing together was full of Haruna giving out commands and Kanako following them. In truth, it hadn't particularly bothered her. Kanako had simply enjoyed being able to spend time with her best friend. And, it wasn't as if Haruna was doing or saying things out of malice, it was just the way she was. Overall, as long as they were having fun, Kanako didn't mind in the least.

But, as the days to their soon-to-come fight drew near, Kanako had begun to notice things changing for the worse. Haruna would sound more aggressive with how she spoke, and her actions were always rushed and done with a display of annoyance. It also always seemed like whenever Kanako asked Haruna to play, she'd agree very reluctantly. Once they had their falling out, the girls' relationship got complicated and bitter. "Thank goodness we were able to finally patch things up..." Kanako thought with relief. The problem of Haruna's attitude toward her had weighed on Kanako's mind for years. Having actual answers to her long awaited questions had definitely helped to lessen that weight considerably.

Now, after about 4.5 months of pretending to be a couple for the sake of winning Akio's heart, Kanako wasn't quite sure how best to describe her relationship with Haruna. She knew they were friends, but it was different from when they were little. "It's like she's... more protective of me..." Kanako thought. For a moment, she considered just chalking it up to acting, but before she could even do that, the memory of the previous night's events came to her. Remembering how Haruna had held her and comforted her made Kanako feel embarrassed, but also happy. Thinking back even more, Kanako remembered how Haruna had won that big stuffed animal for her at the festival. "I think..." Kanako began, her face slowly turning a shade of pink. "... I like this Haruna too..."

Unfortunately, as Kanako had continued to stare at the futon next to her, reality had come back. While she was happy that she had gotten to spend more time with Haruna, she hated that it had come at a cost. "Why does it seem like I had to give up Mi-chan for this?" Kanako wondered, feeling depressed. "I just don't understand anymore." Kanako briefly reflected on her fight with Michi. "Mi-chan looked like she was in a lot of pain... but why? And why is she always so quick to attack Haruna and Akio-kun? I don't get it..."

Kanako's shoulders sank. "I'm beginning to feel like a broken record," she said out loud. It felt like the same questions just kept circling in her head. "Maybe I should just go eat breakfast. It sounds like I hear a few people talking downstairs." So, deciding to put off anymore thinking, Kanako went out of her temporary room and headed down the stairs.

Just as she was reaching the bottom, she saw Mayu, Jasmine, Haruna and Chiyo all standing together. "Now remember, it's a secret, alright?" Chiyo said to Mayu. The girl nodded, her two braids swaying with the motion. "W-What's a secret?" Kanako asked nervously. She felt like she had just walked in on something important. "K-K-Kana-chan! Uh, um, n-no, nothing! W-We were just, u-um-!" Kanako was truly amazed at the amount of stuttering Mayu was doing. "Wait, do I sound like that when someone surprises me?" she wondered.

"Breathe Mayu-chan, geez," Jasmine said, looking at her with an eyebrow raised. "S-Sorry..." Mayu said meekly. "Don't worry Kana-chan! It's nothing scandalous," Chiyo said with a wink. "I-I didn't think it was!" Kanako yelled back, feeling flustered. "Why do you always have to make things more complicated?" Haruna sighed.

As most of the girls conversed, one remained relatively silent. "I still have no idea what to think of this..." Mayu thought. "And I have to keep it a secret..." Mayu really felt lost. Ever since she had become friends with Kanako and Michi, she couldn't recall a time when she had been asked to keep a secret as serious as this one. Even Itsuki, whom Mayu had known for longer, had never once told Mayu that something MUST be kept secret. "Although, part of that is probably because Itsuki-chan isn't a very good secret-keeper either," Mayu thought. Aside from surprises or bad grades though, Mayu couldn't remember a time that she had been tasked with the mess she now found herself a part of.

It was baffling. Mayu tried to live her life as simply as possible. It wasn't for any particular reason really. Her family had no tradition or upbringing that told people that had to be minimalists or that they had to follow some sort of set path. But, due to the nature of her family's views, Mayu had just always considered simple to be best. Plain hairstyle, completely normal glasses, a way of speaking that included a touch of formality, and doing her very best to stay calm and content. For 16 years of her life, that had always worked for Mayu. Until now, when she felt like she had been hit with a tidal wave-sized piece of information: Haruna is in love with Kanako.

Honestly, Mayu wasn't even sure where to begin to start processing that. The idea of a girl liking another girl was so foreign to her that it was almost hard to believe such a concept could even exist. Trying to wrap her head around it just made her feel dizzy. It didn't make sense, and when put up against everything she had been taught and raised to think and know, the idea completely clashed with that prior knowledge. The harder Mayu tried to understand, the more her mind spun.

"Mayu-chan, you alright? You're lookin' a little pale," Jasmine said. "Huh? O-Oh, I'm fine. I don't mean to worry anyone," Mayu said weakly. "Let's get you some water. Maybe that'll help," Jasmine suggested. "S-Sure," Mayu agreed, following behind the gal.

As the two of them went over to the sink, Chiyo looked over and up at the stairs. "I think I'll go check on Mi-chan," she said. Kanako was about to say something, but then she stopped. "There's really... nothing I can say that would change anything right now, is there?" she thought sadly. Kanako wanted to offer to check on Michi with Chiyo, or even offer to do it herself, but it was clear to her that if she tried, it'd all be in vain.

While Kanako stayed put, Chiyo made her way up to Michi's (or really her own) room. Arriving at the door, she knocked. "Mi-chan? It's morning. Why don't you come get something to eat? We were just about to get breakfast going." At first, there was only silence, but after a moment, a clicking sound rang out. "Hm? Was that..." Chiyo guessed, moving to grab the doorknob. Slowly, she turned it and it went all the way. Then Chiyo fully opened the door.

Inside she found Michi, sitting with her back facing Chiyo. "Thanks for letting me in," Chiyo said softly. "Whatever..." Michi muttered. Chiyo walked over to her. "Mind if I sit next to you?" Michi didn't say anything, so Chiyo took it as an okay. Joining her, Chiyo stared out the window. "Were you up early enough to see the sunrise? It was super pretty." "...If you have something to say, then say it," Michi mumbled. Chiyo sighed, then smiled.

"Y'know Mi-chan, I've known a lot of girls that hated my guts. A bunch of 'em were real nasty, and they almost seemed to go out of their way to try to hurt me." Chiyo looked at Michi, who was now staring at her. Chiyo continued. "And yet, I always had a response for them, no matter the situation. Some snarky comeback or a quick one-liner. Maybe I'd even tease 'em a lil', give them a good show... But you, Mi-chan... I never know what to say to you."

Michi's face turned to one of surprise before quickly being replaced by another scowl. "That's not true. You're always saying something stupid to me..." "Maybe it just sounds stupid because I'm always guessing. I just say stuff and hope it sticks with ya." Chiyo said. Michi went silent, instead choosing to bring her knees up to her face and clutch the item she was holding closer to herself. "Why... do you even care?" Michi asked. Chiyo thought for a second. "Hmm... I guess I just think you're fun."

"F-Fun?! What kind of answer is that?" Michi yelled. "Just like that! Those expressions of yours!" Chiyo said with a point of her finger. "You say the funniest things Mi-chan!" "How is it funny?! All I want is for you to leave me alone!" Michi protested. Chiyo laughed "Even the way you try to insult me is kinda lame!" "L-Lame?!" Michi shouted. "Who calls someone a bimbo constantly?" Chiyo said, still laughing. "S-Shut up! That's what you are!" Michi went on yelling.

After another minute, Chiyo finally stopped laughing, with Michi yelling at her the whole time. Once she stopped, she smiled gently as she looked at Michi. "You asked why I care, right?" "It doesn't matter anymore!" Michi huffed. Suddenly, Chiyo hopped onto Michi's back, wrapping her arms around the small girl. "W-What the hell are you doing?!" Michi shrieked. "Get off me! You'll give me a disease!" Then, in Michi's ear, Chiyo whispered, "I care because I. Like. You," giving a soft blow to go with it. Her actions caused Michi to shriek even louder, and Chiyo let go. "L-L-L-L-Like me?!?! What-! What does-! How-! You-!" Chiyo smirked. "Hm? What do you think I meant by that Mi-chan? Are you getting some naughty ideas in that little head of yours?" Michi's face turned redder than a tomato. "I WAS NOT!"

Seemingly satisfied with her own fun, Chiyo decided it was time to ask the bigger questions she had on her mind. "Did something happen between you and Kana-chan?" Michi froze. "...No," she uttered unconvincingly. Chiyo kept staring at her, putting on the pressure. "...Alright, fine. So what? Kana-chan will get over it and everything will be fine." "Wow Mi-chan. Now who's the stupid one?" Chiyo said flatly. "Hey!" Michi yelled, but before she said anything else, she stopped herself. "Maybe you're right..."

The room was quiet. Michi looked back up at the window. "But... that doesn't mean I can't be right too, does it?" Chiyo tilted her head at the question. "Right about what?" Michi was silent again. She was too afraid to voice her own insecurities. That she felt like Haruna was taking Kanako away from her. That Kanako was changing into a complete stranger to her. And now, after the way Haruna had reacted to her jab, Michi found herself wondering if Haruna and Kanako might...

"Forget it. It's not like I have to tell you anyways," Michi said. "Yeah, I guess you're right," Chiyo said, standing up. "But y'know Mi-chan? I meant what I said before. I really hope you don't end up alone." Michi looked down at the ground. "Anyways, I'm glad that you talked to me. That's what friends are for, right?" Chiyo said with a beaming smile. "We're not friends..." Michi muttered. "Oh? Then maybe something more? After all, you've been holding my shirt pretty close to your heart this whole time."

The previous item mentioned that Michi had been holding had indeed been Chiyo's shirt from the other day. Incidentally, Michi had grabbed it while she was sleeping and hadn't let go. Between that and the futon Chiyo had been using, Michi had been surrounded by things that were the property of (temporary or otherwise) Chiyo Wakabayashi.

"Did my scent help you fall asleep last night?" Chiyo said smugly. Somehow, Michi's face managed to turn an even deeper red than it did before. This time, Chiyo had nailed it right on the head. Knowing that, Michi found it hard to think of a time where she felt more embarrassed than she did in the current moment. "J-Just..." "Hm? I can't hear you," Chiyo said, placing a hand to her ear.

"JUST GET OUT!!!" Michi screamed, launching the shirt at Chiyo. The gal caught it, then brought it up to her nose. "Mmm. Now it smells like you too Mi-chan," Chiyo said with a gleam in her eye. "ARGH!!!!!" At Michi's insistence, Chiyo left the room, closing the door behind her. Then she leaned up against it. "Mi-chan, you really are one-of-a-kind." Giggling, Chiyo then headed back downstairs.

When she got to the bottom, she saw Kanako in the kitchen, along with Haruna. Jasmine was sitting on the couch with Mayu, who still seemed to be recovering from the shock she had gotten earlier. Walking over to the kitchen, she tried to see what was going on.

"Is it this much?" Haruna asked. "Ah! N-No, that's too much!" Kanako squealed. "Can I do this?" Haruna asked. "N-No!" Kanako protested. "But wouldn't this be better?" Haruna asked. "...Haruna, you can't replace cinnamon with ginger..." Kanako sighed. Chiyo laughed. "Geez Haru-chi! No wonder you suck in cooking class!" "Gah! C-Chiyo, where'd you come from?! And don't just insult me out of nowhere! It's not like you're any better!" Haruna yelled. Chiyo wagged her finger. "Au contraire! I happen to get excellent grades in Miss Yuki-nin's class." Haruna only growled in response.

"S-So, Chiyo, is, um... is Mi-chan alright?" Kanako asked nervously. "Yup! Fit as a fiddle!" Chiyo announced happily. "Fit? T-That's not really what I asked..." Kanako said quietly. Chiyo put her hand on Kanako's head. "Don't look so gloomy Kana-chan. Mi-chan's fine, I promise." Kanako nodded. "I-If you say so..." "Hey, Kanako? Is this supposed to be this red?" Haruna asked, pointing to a pot on the stuff. "Red? Let's see... Wah! Oh no! This isn't right at all!" Kanako exclaimed. "Really? I followed the recipe though," Haruna said with a shrug. Knowing how Haruna could get, Kanako didn't dare say it aloud, but in her mind she thought, "Haruna really is hopeless in the kitchen."

Looking back, Kanako wondered if maybe Haruna's lack of skills in a kitchen were part of the reason it had been so difficult to cook with her after school. After their first attempt (and subsequent fight), they had had to cook together two more times. Those times had gone better, although Haruna had still seemed very reluctant, at least to Kanako. "I never thought she was this bad though," Kanako thought. "I always just assumed that the people in her groups were too afraid of her to focus properly."

However, Kanako had no idea that she was wrong. In truth, Haruna wasn't that bad in the kitchen. She was no chef, but if need be, she could do the basics. But, being forced to work with Kanako pre-realizing her feelings, Haruna had wanted nothing to do with after school assignments. She didn't have a strong desire to get better at culinary arts like some other students. Haruna just wanted to pass. Getting roped into doing more than she wanted with someone she had previously sworn to hate had been the last thing she had wanted to be a part of. Now though, things were different. The reason for Haruna's failures wasn't because of a lack of enthusiasm. Rather, it was because she was doing something together with Kanako, so she wasn't able to focus very well.

Haruna had had to help out because of Mayu's current condition and the fact that Itsuki was nowhere to be found. With Chiyo dealing with Michi and Jasmine trying her best to help Mayu, it had fallen on Haruna and Kanako to make breakfast. Of course, Kanako was fine with her skills alone, and at first she had try to insist on doing it by herself. But just as she had gotten started, it was all too clear trying to cook for so many people all at once was too much, so Haruna offered to help.

All of this was explained to Chiyo after asking about the situation. "Weren't you fine at the competition?" Chiyo asked Kanako. "Y-Yes, but I had lots of time to prepare, a-and there are only so many dishes that can be served to a large mass of people." "So Haruna decided to make things worse?" Chiyo joked. "If it's so bad, then get over here and help!" Haruna shot back. "You were just bragging about your culinary arts grades, so why don't you prove it?"

"Prove it huh?" Chiyo repeated. "Okay! Then let's make it interesting! Kana-chan, I challenge you to a cook-off!" "Wha?! Why me?!" Kanako said. "Well honestly, I'd like to go against Haru-chi, but if we did, she'd probably waste every ingredient we have left in this kitchen," Chiyo said with a sigh as she folded her arms. "Hey," Haruna said darkly. "Kidding, Kidding! ... But not really." "Hey!" Haruna said again more aggressively. "So, that's why you shall compete in Haru-chi's stead Kana-chan!" Chiyo said, ignoring Haruna.

*****

Once everything was made and all the girls were gathered, Kanako and Chiyo presented their dishes. Kanako's was a set of French toast, lightly coated with butter and topped with berries. Chiyo's was a stack of gourmet-style pancakes, complete with chocolate chips on the inside, syrup perfectly drizzled all around the top and running down the sides, and a wallop of butter for the topper.

"These both look pretty good," Jasmine said. "Can we eat them?!" Itsuki asked, practically drooling. "Go ahead everyone! Stuff your faces!" Chiyo proclaimed. There was more than just the two featured dishes on the table, so everybody's plates got filled with other assorted sides, such as eggs and ham. Once everyone tried a bit of each main entrée, they took a vote. In the end, Chiyo's fluffy pancakes won. "It is pretty hard to beat chocolate..." Kanako muttered with a pouting expression. "Aw, don't be upset Kana-chan! Here, try a bite! Say ahhhh," Chiyo said, holding up a fork full of pancake to Kanako's mouth. Begrudgingly, Kanako ate it. "Is it good?" Chiyo asked. "Yes, it's good," Kanako said reluctantly.

Chiyo turned to Haruna. "Does it make you jealous that I got to feed your crush?" "H-Hah?! No, of course not! I-I'm not a child!" Haruna shouted. Chiyo snickered. "I can totes see the jealousy written on her face. It's adorable," she thought.

*****

Shortly after breakfast and everything was cleaned up, everyone went off on their own. Kanako decided that she wanted to go outside, although she got an earful (both jokingly and not) about not getting lost again. "Geez... I feel like I just got lectured and made fun of at the same time," Kanako thought as she wandered around. However, it wasn't long before she realized that she had drifted quite a ways from the cabin. "...Maybe they were right."

Deciding to get closer to the cabin, Kanako saw Mayu standing out on the porch. Noticing her, Mayu gave a wave. "Mayu-chan hasn't seemed okay all morning," Kanako thought. "I wonder if there's something on her mind." Then Kanako remembered what she had seen when she had come downstairs. "Chiyo said something about a secret. Could that be what's bothering Mayu-chan?" Once she was close enough, Kanako decided to ask. "Hey Mayu-chan," she began. "Hello. It's certainly lovely out here, isn't it?" Mayu replied. "Yeah, I thought some fresh air would be nice. Too bad it came at the cost of everybody treating me like a kid..." Kanako sighed. Mayu laughed a little. "Yes, that was quite the sight. It just shows how much they care about you Kana-chan."

When it got quiet, Kanako thought she felt an awkward air between them. "What's going on?" she wondered. Looking at Mayu, she seemed to be fidgeting, which was very unusual. "Hey, Mayu-chan? Is everything alright?" Kanako asked. "What? Oh, yes, I-I'm fine. It's all fine!" Mayu said, her voice rising toward the end. "You... don't seem fine," Kanako said. "I don't? M-Maybe we've just spent too much time together this week and you're seeing things," Mayu said. Kanako stared. "You don't sound like yourself at all Mayu-chan."

"W-Well, I..." Mayu began, then trailed off. Gripping one of her hands in the other, she tried to steel her resolve. "I want to ask," she thought. "I want to ask Kana-chan if she l-likes Haruna. B-But I... I don't know if I can..." Mayu's body began to tremble. She was still having a hard enough time trying to understand what she had heard earlier. Trying to ask such a question seemed to just be fueling her own confusion and difficulties. "Why do I want to ask something like that? I already feel so confused," Mayu thought. "But... something's telling me to find out the answer to this particular question."

Still shaking, Mayu tried to ask about what was on her mind. "K-K-Kana-chan," she started roughly. "D-Do you, u-um... D-Do you l-like... l-l-l-like Har-... I-I mean, o-other gi-" Every word was a struggle to get out. "Do I like what Mayu-chan?" Kanako asked as she looked at her friend with curiosity. Getting interrupted, Mayu let out a breath. "It's no use," she thought. "I can't even speak right."

Instead, Mayu shook her head. "No, it's nothing." "R-Really? You seemed like you really wanted to ask me," Kanako said. "I think... it can wait," Mayu said, turning away and beginning to head back inside. "What can wait? Hey, Mayu-chan, what can wait?" Kanako asked, following after her. But, for as much as Kanako tried to pester her, Mayu wouldn't give up what she meant.

"Who knew Mayu-chan had a stubborn side?" Kanako thought to herself as she laid on the floor, now back in her room. Michi had vacated it once it had been time for breakfast and afterwards had apologized to both Kanako and Chiyo for stealing their room. Looking at her phone, Kanako saw the date. "This is the last full day here," she said to no one. "I wonder what will happen today?"

End of Chapter Twenty-One.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 294 23
A screaming confession, and a new heart. After Haruna Endo confesses to Kanako Nakatomi, Kanako is left to figure out how she feels about the girl sh...
4.1K 284 22
Now it's her turn to go on the offensive! But will it work? After Kanako's Christmas confession failure, she's become more determined than ever to ge...
1K 42 6
Jirou and Kaminari have been dating for awhile. Normally, Momo would be ecstatic with happiness for her friend, but there's one problem- she likes Ji...
85 0 4
Fan-fiction set in the timeframe after the last episode of Kuroko's basketball. Disclaimer: I do not own the art used for the cover photo, or the ori...