Moonlit Silhouettes

By WendyHamlet

"Nick look out!" He slammed on the brakes, his heart stopping when he heard the impact and felt the sudden lu... More

Prologue
The Accident
It Couldn't Get Any Weirder.
It Got Weirder.
Nightmares.
Unexplainable attraction.
Introductions
Unveiled Secrets
Staring Death in the Face
Safe
Answers
Well...ouch
Triggers
Storm Clouds.
Frying Pan, meet Fire.

Wait, what?

78 10 13
By WendyHamlet

Silence reigned in the car as they slowly made their way through the evening traffic, heading straight for the Ward's house.

Nick's mind was swimming. He really shouldn't be surprised by anything at this point, but finding out that his best friend's dad was actually some kind of supernatural encyclopedia was just a little unsettling.

Tala remained quiet, letting Nick sort through his emotions and thoughts on his own. She knew how confused and conflicted he must be right now, she could feel his emotions, tense and jumbled as they raced through him. She'd suggesting waiting for a little while before confronting him, but Nick had refused. They needed to figure out whatever was going on between them, and being a mystic, Charles could possibly have data that could help them discover a plan on what to do about the pride after Tala.

Too soon were they pulling to a stop in the Ward's driveway. They sat in the car for a few moments, Nick staring blankly at the house.

Tala shifted in her seat so she was turned facing him. "Ready?" She asked gently.

He let out a sigh and shook his head. "No...come on." He cut the engine and then climbed out of the car, Tala following close behind him.

The door opened less than a minute from when they knocked, a middle aged blonde woman standing in the doorway. She smiled when she spotted Nick. "Nick, it's good to see you again."

He smiled back and gave her a quick hug. "Hey, Eula, I didn't know you were back from your vacation already."

She nodded and ushered them both inside. "Yes, I returned earlier today." She shook her head and chuckled. "I wonder if I ever should have left, that young scamp, Alejandro wouldn't know a trashcan if he was stuffed into one! Ah well, I suppose that's what you get growing up privileged. He's a good kid though." She shut the door and turned back to Nick. "Speaking of, you're probably looking for him, but he's out at the moment with his mother."

Nick frowned slightly. "He didn't mention going anywhere...where are they?"

Eula was about to reply when she caught Tala's eye, and saw her barely shake her head warningly. "Uh...I believe Mrs. Ward mentioned something about shopping for a new dress suit for his graduation."

Nick still looked slightly confused, but he didn't have time to dwell on the Ward's shopping habits at the moment, he had more important things to worry about. "Oh, okay. Well that works out fine because we're actually here to talk with Mr. Ward."

Eula looked a little surprised by this, but she just nodded and motioned behind her. "I believe he's in his study, just knock before walking in."

Nick nodded. "Thanks, it's good to see you again."

She smiled. "You too, I'd best get back to my chores." And with that she turned and disappeared upstairs.

Tala slid her hand into Nicks and squeezed his fingers reassuringly. "You can do this."

He shot her a grateful smile, and then led her to Mr. Ward's study. Hesitating outside the door for a brief moment before raising his fist and knocking twice.

A pause, then a quiet, but firm, "Come in."

The door swung open silently, revealing a comfortable study lined with bookshelves and furnished with several comfortable armchairs and a large dark wood desk, which Mr. Ward was seated behind, hands folded in his lap as he leaned back in his chair and watched calmly as Nick and Tala entered the room.

"Nick, I was wondering when you were going to figure it out."

Nick's eyes widened in surprise. "Wait, you mean you know-"

"Why you're here?" Mr. Ward said, cutting him off. He smiled slightly and nodded. "I knew it was only a matter of time until you connected the dots and came to confront me. I must say though, I never suspected you'd get dragged into the true reality someday."

Nick frowned. "True reality?"

He nodded. "That is what it is referred to once someone is exposed to the full truth, that there are things that exist in this world that are considered 'supernatural', beings that aren't quite human, power that could be called magical." He shrugged. "Very few humans have the privilege of being invited into that world, some catch glimpses and are labeled as conspiracy theorists, or just good old fashion nut cases." He smiled. "Consider yourself lucky, you are one of the privileged few."

Nick exchanged a glance with Tala. "Uh...okay."

Charles Ward leaned forward and rested his folded hands on the smooth surface of his desk, gaze now directed at Tala. "Tell me, does my son know what you are?"

Tala nodded. "I'm afraid he and Nick found out at the same time."

Charles sighed and leaned back in his chair once more, pinching the bridge of his nose briefly. "That is a shame, I was hoping to spare him all of this." He smiled sadly. "Although with his abounding curiosity and need to know, he would've made an exceptional Mystic."

Nick frowned. "Is it hereditary?"

Charles glanced up, weighing something in his mind before nodding slowly. "Yes, were things different, Alejandro would become a mystic once his supernatural energy reached maturity." At their blank looks, he briefly explained. "People who are touched by the supernatural, but not directly connected to it, retain within themselves a sort of aura, or energy, that allows them to connect easier to supernatural things. Tala for example, is a born supernatural, where as I am a touched supernatural, still human, but one gifted with special abilities."

"But what do you mean when you say 'if things were different' and Al 'would've' made an exceptional Mystic? What aren't you telling me."

Charles and Tala exchanged a look before he said quietly. "Nick, he didn't want you to know...but Alejandro is dying, he has an inoperable brain tumor that is expected to kill him in a little under six months. His mother has taken him to the doctor today due to an increase in his blackouts, and headaches."

Nick couldn't breathe, his vision blurred as his heart stopped and then jumped into overdrive. "Wh-what? N-no...no that can't...he can't..."

Tala put her arm around his waist for support and led him over to one of the armchairs. "I'm so sorry, Nick."

He pushed her arm away. "You knew?" His voice was accusatory and hurt.

Tala nodded. "The first time his skin came in contact with mine...I could sense it."

Nick shook his head. "How...how long has he known?"

Charles shrugged. "About a month? The symptoms arrived too late, and when we found out...there was nothing we could do."

Nick's body was shaking from shock, his mind unable to process that his best friend was going to die in just a few short months. "Wh-why...there's nothing?"

Charles shook his head, face grim, but his hands were trembling slightly. "No, there is nothing we can do."

Nick put his hand over his face for a few moments, trying not to have a panic attack. He slowly took several deep breaths. "I- why didn't anyone tell me?"

"He didn't want you to start treating him any differently, he's had to deal with people pitying and treating him like a complete invalid."

Charles nodded in agreement with what Tala said. "Even if you don't mean to treat him differently...it can't be helped."

Nick pushed everything into the back of his mind. He couldn't deal with this right now, he needed time to process, and they'd come here for answers. "We need your help."

Charles looked slightly surprised, but nodded. "I figured as much, what seems to be the problem?"

Tala and Nick glanced at each other. "Well...every time we uh...have physical contact for too long, we get this sort of...shock."

Charles' eyebrow quirked up ever so slightly. "Oh? Just any physical contact?"

Nick's face turned crimson, whereas Tala seemed unfazed by the question. "Well, both times it has happened was when we were kissing."

Nick sank lower into the chair, wishing he could just disappear.

Charles nodded slowly. "Ah, I see. And you've never experienced this with other humans you've interacted with before?"

Tala shook her head. "Just with Nick. And there's also this magnetic pull between us all the time, it's getting a little out of hand, and if we don't figure it out we're both going to go crazy."

Charles thought for a moment, then turned to Nick. "I may know what the problem is, but I need you to answer some questions first."

Nick straightened up, waiting attentively for the questions.

"With this...pull, would you say it feels almost like electricity?"

Nick nodded.

"And do you ever feel like something is pulsing just underneath your skin?"

Another nod.

"Okay, now if you could use one word to describe exactly how you felt while this is going on?"

Nick thought for a long moment, trying to find a single word to describe it all. "I feel...powerful."

Charles' eyebrows rose almost imperceptibly. "Powerful?"

Nick nodded. "Like, I can do anything, that nothing or no one could stop me from protecting her."

Tala looked slightly surprised, her lips tilting into the smallest of smiles.

"Interesting...final question, is there any particular place you feel the most energy?"

Nick glanced at Tala. "My...left, shoulder?"

She nodded in confirmation. "Yes, it was the source of the shock both times as well."

Charles stood up, moved to the wall and slid a section away to reveal a hidden safe. He punched in a few numbers and then searched inside for a moment before turning back to the two of them. "I believe I know the cause of all this."

Nick leaned forward eagerly. "You do? Can you help us?"

Charles shrugged. "Well...yes and no. I can stop the negative reactions you're having to each other, but I'm afraid it will only unlock a multitude of other complications."

Nick frowned. "What do you mean?"

Charles walked over to Nick and crouched down in front of him. "Nick, I believe you are a touched supernatural."

Nick's eyes widened. "What? You mean like you?"

Charles chuckled softly and shook his head. "No, I'm afraid you're much more special, and powerful than I am." He turned to look at Tala. "Have you ever heard of Guardians?"

Tala stared at him in shock, a small gasp escaping from her throat. "No...it can't be."

Nick, sufficiently freaked out at this point, glanced between Charles and Tala. "Guardians? What...what does that mean?"

Charles turned back to Nick. "They are beings gifted with supernatural abilities meant to watch over and protect certain supernatural species. Since there are many therianthropes in the world, and most of them don't get along too well with each other, the Guardians were created to restore balance and peace. If I am correct, you are a lycanthrope Guardian."

Nick shook his head. "No way...you're saying I'm some sort of supernatural being?"

"Think about it, Nick, it all makes sense. Now, the Guardian gene is hereditary, but in most cases the gene has grown unperceptive and dormant, which is why Guardians are a thing of legend mostly. They are so rare nowadays that most doubt they ever even existed at all. It's more than likely the Guardian gene has laid dormant in your family blood line for decades."

Nick held a hand to his forehead. "This...this is all too much."

Charles smiled sadly. "I'm sorry to lay all of this on you at once, but if I'm right, and you are a Guardian, I'm afraid there will be things coming that you must be prepared for. Tala has helped reawaken the Guardian energy inside you, but since you haven't unlocked it completely, it has no where to channel all that power, and is therefore rebounding. If we don't fully unlock your powers, it could cause some permanent side effects."

Nick's eyes widened. "I...how do we do that?"

Charles held up what he had pulled out of the safe, an ancient looking book. "This book will tell us exactly how, but I can guess it's going to take effort, a little spell work, and a whole lot of pain."

Nick glanced at Tala, who gave him a reassuring nod, then turned back to Charles, took a deep breath, and said. "When do we start?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! Sorry to keep you waiting for so long, but here's the next chapter! I'll try my hardest to get the next one up much quicker

Please don't forget to leave a comment! And always vote if you're enjoying the story so far, it really motivates me to keep up with the story more if I know people are enjoying reading it :)

Thanks so much for reading! Until next time...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

963K 48.5K 43
"Eva!" My Brother slams the car door shut, storming over to where we sit. I roll my eyes, not wanting to deal with him. "Go home Nick." I tell him...
1.6M 45.8K 29
"What happened?" he asked sternly. She sat still and made sure her hood was covering her bruised cheek. He noticed her unease like no one else. "Not...
4.9K 229 11
Nick Stokes. A normal human. Or at least as normal as a werewolf can be. That is until his sister is injured and put into the hospital as she falls i...
102 0 9
Mia has a normal life but one day out of the blue she starts to have these weird dreams. If she gets hurt in the dream, it affects her on the outside...