Free Minds Chained Hearts | ✔

By illianaklyne

Loving yourself is hard. Trying to find love in a family who objectified you? Seems like work. But try findin... More

W E L C O M E
P A R T 1
P R O L O G U E
Part 1 | Chapter 1
Part 1 | Chapter 2
Part 1 | Chapter 3
Part 1 | Chapter 4
Part 1 | Chapter 5
Part 1 | Chapter 6
Part 1 | Chapter 7
Part 1 | Chapter 8
Part 1 | Chapter 9
Part 1 | Chapter 10
Part 1 | Chapter 11
Part 1 | Chapter 12
Part 1 | Chapter 13
Part 1 | Chapter 14
Part 1 | Chapter 15
Part 1 | Chapter 16
Part 1 | Chapter 17
Part 1 | Chapter 18
Part 1 | Chapter 19
Part 1 | Chapter 20
P A R T 2
Part 2 | Chapter 1
Part 2 | Chapter 3
Part 2 | Chapter 4
Part 2 | Chapter 5
Part 2 | Chapter 6
Part 2 | Chapter 7
Part 2 | Chapter 8
Part 2 | Chapter 9
Part 2 | Chapter 10
Part 2 | Chapter 11
Part 2 | Chapter 12
Part 2 | Chapter 13
Part 2 | Chapter 14
Part 2 | Chapter 15
P A R T 3
Part 3 | Chapter 1
Part 3 | Chapter 2
Part 3 | Chapter 3
Part 3 | Chapter 4
Part 3 | Chapter 5
Part 3 | Chapter 6
Part 3 | Chapter 7
Part 3 | Chapter 8
Part 3 | Chapter 9
E P I L O G U E

Part 2 | Chapter 2

2.2K 86 8
By illianaklyne

"I'm starting to think people here are less formal than I had imagined," Henry commented as we watched Matteo walk away, knocking down a bin in the process.

"No, some people just don't care," I remarked with honesty.

By some people I mean Matteo. I have to say though, despite his never-changing temper issues, having these three weeks to myself has been a treat. No worrying about angry men or drunken parties. The most I had to deal with was Jocelyn and even that wasn't bad.

She stayed true to her words. Never once did she force me to a party like Danica and we hung out at the local cafe about three times that week. She wasn't that bad, not when she's not high at least. I got to know her a little. I found out she was an art major and that she loved paintings and any type of art anyway. I admitted that I never imagined her to be interested in such calm acts but she said neither did she. It's quite fascinating to see that side of her.

Because of the success of that week, we agreed to be mutual friends of Danica. We don't plan on doing everything together but I guess she liked the idea of not having bad blood every time she saw me. That went well and I couldn't be happier. Despite Cade's constant reminder of her risks, one of them is that if my parents found out, they would definitely kick me out. Regardless, he agreed to stay civil and not constantly fight with her and I appreciated him even more for it.

"So." Henry cleared his throat, "Jackson said we've got an open evening to look into on Saturday. So you think it'll be worth it?"

"I'm not the one who makes the calls, he does." I laughed and he does too. If only he knew how adorable I find his laughter to be.

"Well, he's a senior and he's looking at you to take over leads right after. You definitely should be on that rank,"

"I know but right now I've got bigger things to worry about, "

"Like, Med school and work experience." I took a bite of my sandwich, "I haven't heard from the University yet and I'm starting to think that my shadowing program has been scratched. That's one of a kind and without it, my parents would fry me. Then my medicine chances are shaved off."

He steals a fry from my plate and I swat his hand away a little too late.

"With a girl who listens to the first-hand emergency accounts before going to sleep...I doubt you'd lose that job." He winked and I chuckled.

Henry is one of the good ones. He's always smiling, his dry humor makes him a perfect company and his support is unmatched. He's like a little angel dropped from heaven. I'm glad he found me just as interesting as I found him; enough to agree hanging out with me. When Cade isn't around, he's the one I'm with and I've got no complaints about it.

I like speaking about how he's family burnt a whole turkey on Thanksgiving or how he tripped over the hallway in kindergarten before telling his crush about his feelings. We got personal. I spoke about my endless work and he spoke about his fun travels during his gap year. I told him about my parents and he tells me about how they're horrible. It's a lovely company to have and with times like these, with exams just finished, I needed that.

Because of that, I'm kind of disappointed that he doesn't take any classes that I do. He's music major and I envy him for that.

"Anyway, how did you think you did on the exams?" He asked, chewing on his burrito.

"Pretty good. I'm always pretty confident about tests and anything of the sort." I shrugged and cringed when I realized how arrogant that mustve sounded.

"You should be. You're on top tier classes for a reason."

"You know what? You are not wrong."

• • •

The rest of the day went by smoothly. I finished with my biology and Henry finished with his music theory. We agree to meet by the entrance after school so we could go meet Cade, Danica, and Jocelyn at the cafe. Lucky for us, band practices don't happen on Wednesdays.

We headed to the cafe, in my car, tired and gloomy from all the work.

College is a draining system and more so when you're in junior or senior. It really makes you wonder how these people can manage to have a party every night, get wasted, and still past their tests. It's only October but it feels like the end of the year.

"You do know I trust you with my life every time you drive right?" Henry joked and I playfully hit him.

"Hey, you're lucky I don't charge."

I turn the radio down letting Hozier's calming medley play in the background.

"So, who are these people we meeting?"

"Don't make it sound like a drug trade." I chuckled.

"Noted. Seriously, you gotta let me know what I'm getting myself into."

I could hear him holding a laugh and I roll my eyes but laughed anyway.

"Cade, Danica, and Jocelyn. They're a couple of friends I never imagined I'd have."

"This is 100% a drug trade...you minx!" He raised mocking a distraught voice causing me to turn the radio up just to drown out his manly laughter.

I look over to him watching as his head hit the seat, clutching his stomach as he laughed at his own lame joke. He seems so innocent like this but I don't want to assume any further; those things never worked.

When we arrived, it was packed. The line was long and the parking lot was filled, it didn't surprise me though since I knew it was a hit spot for college kids. Some to hang out with their friends and some looking to a place to study.

"Do I actually have to feel threatened?" He whispered as we approached the door and I laughed.

"No, they're fine. I'm almost quite sure you and Cade would get along." I assured him as we walked in. The smell of roasted coffee beans and baked pastry made its way into us and I immediately felt hungry.

I need something in me before I pass out in starvation.

We looked around and I find the group sitting around a white table in a booth at the back. I smiled and waved at them when I met their eyes and they did the same.

"Well, they definitely look so much better than the hippies that offered me a ride in Australia. Man, I was terrified, " Henry joked making me laugh as we met the group.

"Hey, Queen Eve, see you've brought this new friend we've been hearing about." Jocelyn smiles as she stood up and hugged me.

"Yeah, " I chuckled, "Guys meet Henry, Henry, meet Jocelyn, Cade, and Danica."

Everyone smiled and greeted him warmly with hi's and hello's with Cade even giving him a bro hug. Like I had imagined, these two are gonna get along just fine. Why wouldn't they when I know for a fact that these two are big geeks about Marvel? They could speak of it for hours.

"Well come sit, we were just talking about going to see the new Bond film next weekend when it's released. Wanna come?" Danica offered and I smiled.

"Sure, I'll check my schedule when we get back to the dorm."

As soon as the words left my mouth, everyone groaned in disappointment and I raised a brow, holding out my hand as if asking what did I say wrong.

"You and you're damned schedules, " Cade groaned with frustration.

"Does she always say that?" Henry mumbled to Cade and I hit him for the teasing.

"Oh yeah. Try to invite her to anything and you'll hear about the schedule." Danica followed up and I shook my head.

I don't get what's so wrong with being a little organized. Having a schedule and a routine is one of the few things that keeps me on top of my game and if they don't want that for themselves then I respect that. They don't have to make it seem like it's such a sin.

"Looking forward to hearing loads of that, " Henry laughed, high fiving Cade. I didn't even care that I was slightly offended by that statement. I'm just glad he's getting along with my friends.

He did say he knew no one here when he moved so this may be a breakthrough for him in finding his own friends. Everyone knew what it's like being the newbie and I'm just glad I could help others to not feel that way; even just a little bit.

"So, is there a particular reason why we're here?" I finally asked, leaning against the table and tapping my fingers.

I hope they're ready to order because I am starving.

"Oh, there he is!" Jocelyn exclaims before jumping up.

Everyone shared a look before following her steps and to my dismay, my worst nightmares came to view.

Right, I am friends with his friends. This only took a matter of time.

My jaw drops and as I flinched, my knee hits the table catching everyone's attention—including his.

He meets my gaze and the first thing he does is widened his eyes, surprised to see me as much as I was to see him. His jaw clenched like an instinct while he moved away from Jocelyn's kisses. His white shirt was almost see-through and the dark inks on his skin peaked through only to be included by the black leather jacket over it.

His eyes averted to Henry who sat squeezed in between Cade and me who he also looks at. It would only take a split second for him to decide whether he wants to stay or stay away and leave. I stare at him straight in the eye hoping that he could read what I was thinking.

My heart knocked on my chest and my palms began to sweat as I can feel him contemplating.

Our group's gone quiet now and I could only imagine the confusion Henry must be having. I failed to mention how Matteo is a guy we know and a guy who is as heartless as a peanut. I feel like everyone should have a briefing about that.

"Hey, Matteo, didn't know you were coming, " Danica finally said, looking at me with concern.

"Yeah, Jocelyn told me to come to hang and I just agreed. Didn't know I was meeting you up, " he smirked arrogantly and I knew he'd made his choice.

"I should've told you guys. Anyway, he's here now, might as well have lunch with him right." Jocelyn claps before trying to stage him down fo sit beside her but he didn't even budge. He stayed standing, pulling his hand away from her and putting it in his pockets.

He then looks at me, then at Henry.

"You knew around here?" He asked him and I looked down regretfully.

"Yeah, a sophomore. I'm Henry by the way." He reached out right in front of my face and I feared for him.

"Matteo." They shook hands and my jaw almost falls to the floor.

Ok, I feel highly offended that he is much more polite to him than he is with me. What is this world I'm living in right now?

"Anyway, we're all here. I'm buying food. Anyone want anything?" Matteo asked and the surprises just kept in coming.

For some reason, the ladies and even Cade were fast to order not even guilty of all their requests. Matter stood their idly listening to their suggestions until it reached Henry. As he spoke, I can see Matteo shooting daggers at him and my heart only drops. It's only a matter of time before Matteo acts the way he usually does.

"What about you?" Matteo lightly taps my shoulder, catching me out of my thoughts and I flinched at the contact.

I look at him, trying to see the humor in his eyes but found nothing. Just like that, it feels like I'm Alice In Wonderland. Falling into the rabbit hole all over again and not having any idea of what is going on.

Were three weeks enough for him to have a change of heart?

"Uh..." I began and then realized how shameful it could be for me to have a request but the impatient with he lets out is almost like a sign that he was being serious.

I'm hungry too. Ugh!

"Just a vanilla latte...would...would do." I stuttered quietly, receiving curious looks from the group.

He stares at me, smirking before saying, "are you sure that's all?"

I chewed in my lip like a little guilty kid, knowing that my hunger got the best of me.

"And...and a chocolate brownie would do too." I croaked receiving a chuckle from him and everyone as he disappeared into the line.

"Always nice to have a rich boy in the group, " Jocelyn comments and I puckered my brows.

"Does he always intimidate you like that?" Henry whispers as we both looked towards Matteo who was impatiently waiting.

"Oh, you don't even know," I said with much conviction.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 221 24
• Friends to enemies to lovers • Dark themes • Situations some readers might find offensive *** Never did I expect to find Trouble in New York (oh...
1M 35.9K 48
"What's your name?" He tries again. Should I tell him so he can shut up? Or will he just keep talking. "Fine. Don't tell me. But personally I think w...
4.9M 109K 65
Hailey Summers. I knew she was gonna be a problem for me the second my eyes fell on her in the school hall way that day. I didn't know anything abou...
1.9K 3 20
Trigger warning for the following: -mature content -some strong language -fighting -mentions of abuse Everything was cool. It was fine and normal...