Aren't We All Liars? [Vendett...

Av attyalexandria

"You're a fucking liar." "Aren't we all liars?" If there's one thing Cassandra Defensor was sure of her entir... Mer

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Chapter 8

80 5 1
Av attyalexandria

Chapter 8

Senator's white polo was crumpled and his curly hair was a huge disheveled mess. The strap of Congresswoman's yellow gown fell on her shoulder and her red lipstick was smudged all over her face. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Mukhang hindi lang ata ako ang nagulat dahil maging sila ay nanlaki ang mata nang malamang hindi sila nag-iisa sa restroom na ito.

"Hija, I -"

I immediately cut her off. "Don't worry po. I didn't see anything." I quickly said before turning around to leave the bathroom. Huminto ako sa gilid ng entrance ng banyo at sumandal sa pader. Hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala sa nakitang pangyayari.

"What the hell, Jose?! I thought you locked the door?! How could you be so careless?!"

"It's fine. She has no evidence of what happened."

"How sure are you, huh? What if she talks—"

"Hindi siya magsasalita. That's Sebastian's friend, okay? I doubt she'd have the guts to break her own friend's heart. Just fix yourself at aakyat na tayo. Hinahanap na ako ni Xavina."

I took that as my cue to leave. I don't know how I'm gonna look Xavier in the eye after all this.

Senator's right though. I'm a'lot of things, but I'd never dare tell Xavier about this. Not because I'm a coward, but because it should come from Senator himself. It's wrong to meddle with another family's problems.

Tuliro pa rin ako habang naglalakad paakyat sa ballroom. I never expected I'd meet Congresswoman Juarez this way. And never in my entire life did I think Xavier's dad would have an affair with the very woman I swore to destroy.

Everything just got more complicated.

Now even Xavier's father is involved in the equation.

Pagkapasok ko sa entrance ng hall, agad na lumapit sa akin si Xavina. "Ate Andra! You look so beautiful tonight, my gosh! You and my Kuya are so bagay talaga especially kanina when you were slow dancing! I ship you guys more than that Santino dude." Natawa nalang ako. She even said Santi's name with a hint of disgust!

Xavier, pati ba naman sarili mong kapatid, inimpluwensyahan mo ng galit mo kay Santino?!

"Ikaw talaga, ang dami mong kalokohan. Mana ka talaga sa kuya mo!" Kinurot ko siya sa pisngi kaya agad niya namang tinapik ang kamay ko. "Asan na nga pala si Xavier?"

"Oh, he went looking for dad. Dad wasn't answering my calls kasi eh."

Your dad wasn't answering your calls because he's busy shoving his mouth on a married woman's lips.

Guilt automatically washed through me after I remembered what I witnessed awhile ago. Pero mas nanindig pa rin ang paniniwala kong protektahan sila. Lalo na si Xavina. It would hurt her more if I would be the one to break the news to her.

She's too young to know about her father's mischiefs. I'd rather just save her from the heartaches.

At least for now. Maybe when she's older, she'd know.

"Anyway, I'll get going, Ate Andra! Nasa lobby na daw si Kuya and Dad. Tell Kuya to bring me with him the next time you guys go out, okay?" She said cutely before waving and leaving me behind. Pinanood ko siyang umalis ng ballroom entrance nang nagvibrate ang cellphone ko sa purse.

Santino:

Where are you? My parents want to meet you. We're just by the front stage.

Me:

Just came from the restroom, sorry. I'm on the way.

Fuck. This is it.

The devil in the flesh.

After walking past the sea of guests mingling with each other, the Rodriguez family came into view. The three of them can clearly stand out from the crowd with the way they carry themselves. Their stance screams of power and authority, while their stares can easily make you feel unworthy of even being near them.

Santino probably saw me coming up to them so he approached me and placed a hand on the small of my back as he guided me towards the two figures smiling sweetly at us. Even their smiles were too.... perfect.

Too fake.

Too rehearsed.

"Mom, Dad, meet Alexandria. Alexandria, meet my parents. They're very excited to meet you."

Senator Rodriguez stepped forward, his gold tie still perfectly tied, and not a hint of crease from his suit jacket. His hair is already showing gray streaks, and the wrinkles on his face are either a product of stress or age. Nonetheless, his son is really his spitting image.

I can't believe I've officially met the two people who murdered my brother in just one night.

How crazy is that?

I heaved a deep breath before shaking Senator's hand and returning the fakest smile I could muster. "Good evening, Senator Rodriguez. It's such an honor to finally meet you."

"Senator? Just call me Tito Ferdie."

Gusto ko nalang matawa. I am meeting the man who had my brother killed, and I'm what? Shaking hands with him? Exchanging smiles? Calling him Tito?

The fucking irony of it all.

Kung pwede lang talaga, matagal ko nang dinala sa hukay ang lalaking nasa harap ko ngayon.

Bumitaw ako sa hawak ko kay Senator bago ako lumapit kay Mrs. Rodriguez upang kamayan siya. Nagulat nalang ako nang hawakan niya ang balikat ko at binigyan ako ng beso sa magkabilang pisngi. Para siyang tita na nakikita mo sa mga family reunion tuwing pasko.

"My, my! So this is the girl whose got my son wrapped under her pretty little fingers, huh? You really are as beautiful as he says you are!"

I shyly laughed before looking down humbly. "Thank you po, Maam."

"Maam? Nonsense! Please, Alexandria. Tita Amelia nalang."

Santino just laughed at his mom's reaction before shaking his head. "Dad, Alexandria here is an avid supporter of your projects. In fact, you're both Economics majors, so I'm sure you'll both get along well."

Biglang tumaas ang kilay ni Senator, para bang naging interesado sa usapan. "Oh really? That's interesting."

"Actually, Tito, my college thesis was inspired by your Political Economy publications." I added. Kung kailangan kong magbuhat ng bangko, gagawin ko. I have to wedge my place into this family and make myself look as cunning and intelligent as them.

"And she was First Place for Best Thesis, Dad!" dagdag ni Santino, para bang batang proud na proud.

Senator's well rehearsed smile flashed on his face again. There's something about his smile that really irks me out. "Well I'm honored to have contributed to the success of your thesis. So, what was it all about?"

"I talked about Economic and Fiscal Policy Determinants of Public Deficit."

.....and how the macroeconomic decline of the Philippines is brought about by corrupt and incompetent politicians like you, Mr. Rodriguez.

Kung pwede ko lang yan idagdag. I bit my tongue to hold myself back from saying things I'll surely regret.

Mukhang natuwa si Tita Amelia sa narinig mula sa anak niya. "I see you're not just beautiful, but you're very intelligent as well! Wow, my son surely knows how to choose a girl!"

And he chose a girl that will take your entire family down.

Ang galing nga naman talaga.

"Anyway, it was lovely meeting you, Alexandria. But we still need to meet Ferdinand's associates and investors tonight. I'll leave you to my son now, though I hope to talk to you again soon!" She faced me before holding both my hands tightly.

"Likewise, Tita." I said before squeezing her hand back.

"Maybe come over our house for a simple dinner next week? I'd love to get to know you more! You're the first girl my son has ever introduced to us!" She excitedly shared to me.

So I'm the first, huh?

"Just so you know, mom makes the best Lasagna Bolognese." Singit ni Santino, na para bang binabago ang usapan. Kita kong namumula na ang mukha niya, nahihiya siguro sa sinabi ng kaniyang ina.

I smiled back at Tita Amelia, pretending to be flattered with her thoughtful gesture. "That would be great po, Tita! Just let me know when and I'll free my schedule for you."

"Great! Enjoy the rest of the night, Alexandria. But not too much." She joked before suggestively wiggling her brows.

I wanted to roll my eyes.

As if.

"Excuse us." Senator politely nodded at me before linking Amelia's arm to his. Santino and I watched as the couple approached the crowd of politicians and investors before us.

Hinila ako ni Santino sa balcony ng ballroom to have our own privacy away from the crowds of people. The cold midnight wind caressed the exposed skin of my dress.

"I think my parents like you."

Hinarap ko siya at tinaasan ng kilay. "In your 24 years of existence, I'm the first girl you introduced to your parents?"

"Well, you're the only girl worth introducing to them."

I crossed my arms before leaning at the balcony railings. "And why is that?"

"I always thought I'd just let mom marry me off to a daughter of some political clan. Every girl I've dated before were just past times. It was all attraction and pleasure, but I never saw a future with them."

He walked closer to me before placing his arms above the railing and locking me between his arms. I can feel the heat from his body latching on to mine. "But not with you, Alexandria. You're different. While girls do everything to get my attention, you don't even have to lift a finger to get me hooked under your spell. I like being with you, you're my literal counterpart. Intelligent, eloquent, powerful and definitely a head-turner." He even smirked at the last statement.

Now, I get it.

Men like you want successful women like me because you feel the need to parade us. To tell your family and friends that you've finally brought home a perfect girl.

Sorry nalang, Santino but I'm no fucking trophy wife.

Huminga siya ng malalim at nginitian ako. "Two months but I feel like I've already known you for years. That's how crazy you make me feel."

"Ang bilis mo namang mahulog."

I heard him scoff before leaning even closer to me, his face just a few inches away from mine. "Who wouldn't fall fast for the Alexandria Defensor anyway?"

I stared at his deep set eyes trying to figure out a way around this conversation. Next thing I knew, Santino lifted my chin and began kissing me on the lips. I put a hand on his chest to stop him from kissing me, but I immediately held myself back. Even if I don't feel comfortable doing this, I have to take advantage of this opportunity.

I have to reel him in.

Mag-tiis ka, Alexandria. Do this for your brother.

I hesitantly wrapped my arms around his neck before kissing him back with the same intensity as his. I parted my lips to let his tongue enter inside me. Santino's rough hands were pressed tightly on my waist as he pulled my body closer to his. We were leaning on the balcony railing as our kisses deepened.

After a few minutes of making out, he withdrew from the kiss to catch some air. Santi swiped a finger on his moist lip, before smirking at me. "I guess you feel the same way, huh?"

I only smiled at him before looking away to face the balcony view.

I feel nothing for you, Santino.

-

I spent the entire weekend organizing my closet, catching up on my case backlogs, and basically, doing everything I can to distract myself from Santino's kiss. Hanggang ngayon kinikilabutan pa rin akong nagawa kong halikan siya pabalik. I hated having to pimp myself to that guy... it was just so unlike me. Pero para kay Alfonso, kailangan kong gawin.

Whatever it takes... I guess.

Bago nagpaalam si Atty. Corpuz sa klase ay ibinalik niya muna ang case digests namin for Consti Law. Nalaglag ang panga ko nang makita ang mataas na marka sa dalawang digests na pinasa ko. Napangiti ako sa sarili ko. I'm just so happy that I'm really getting the hang of writing case digests already!

Nang magpaalam si Atty. Corpuz, agad namang tumakbo si Gabby palabas ng room. Nagulat ako nang iwan niya ang kaniyang bag, pati na rin ang laptop at cellphone niya. Dala-dala ang gamit ni Gabby, sinundan ko siya at nakita kong pumasok siya sa girl's restroom.

I heard the sound of sniffing and crying. Umiiyak si Gabby?

"Gabby? Are you okay? Uhhh—"

Tumingala si Gabby sa akin, ang mga mata'y pulang pula sa pag-iyak. "Nagbabasa naman ako, pero bakit kahit sa digests, bagsak pa rin ako? I really don't know what I'm going to do anymore. Mom will kill me. Oh god, she will. When she sees my grades, it's really over for me." Deklara niya bago humikbi pa ng mas malakas.

Tinitigan ko nalang siya, hindi pa rin alam ang gagawin.

"Should I take a LOA first?" Nakaupo na siya sa sahig ngayon, her face is now buried on her palms.

"Huh? Bakit ka naman magle-leave of absence?"

"Ang baba ng grades ko sa case digests. Tapos kung hindi naman ako bokya sa recit, lagi naman akong sinisigawan ng profs natin. Wala pa akong na-uunong requirement! Kahit quiz, nada!" She shouted before crying even harder.

Fuck, anong gagawin ko? Should I hug her? Eh awkward pa naman ako pag yumayakap ng tao!

"Uhhhh—here, Gabby. Use my hanky." Sagot ko bago inabot sakaniya ang aking panyo. The red cloth touched her face as she tried to wipe the tears that were still flowing from her eyes.

Bumuntong hininga nalang ako. I'm really not good with dealing with emotions in general, may it be happiness, anger or even sadness. I'd rather just distract myself with work or studies than to actually feel my emotions. That's how mom raised me.

Habang nagiisip ako kung paano ko ba siya patatahanin, an idea suddenly dawned on me. I may not be good at comforting others, but I am good at solving other people's problems.

Maybe I'll just do that.

"Can I see your digests?"

Nag-angat siy ng tingin sa akin bago ngumuso at umiling. "Ayoko, it's embarrasing! Perfect ka pa naman palagi."

"Sa akin ka pa talaga nahiya? Tignan mo mukha mo sa salamin ngayon, mas nakakahiya yun!" I joked to her to lighten the mood. Kumalma naman ako nang nakitang nakatawa na rin si Gabby.

Phew. Thank God. Di ko talaga alam gagawin ko kung nagpatuloy siya sa pag-iiyak.

"Sige na, wash your face. Punta tayong library after para matulungan kita."

Habang nagaayos siya ng mukha ay kinuha ko ang case digests niya at inobserbahan ang common denominators sa mga corrections ni Attorney sakaniya.

"Okay, I'm fine now." sagot niya at pagkatapos ay lumabas na kami ng restroom at pumasok sa library.

"Gabby, I need you to think of it this way. Case digests are maximum of one page lang talaga, kaya nga digest tawag eh, cause it's a summary so kailangan maikli lang siya. Pansin ko you're always submitting three to four paged digests per case. Next, stay away from parts that make references to other cases. Kadalasan, cases have more than one issue but you should know which issue is applicable to our subject."

Tinuro ko sakaniya ang isang part ng digest kung saan iba't ibang issues ang nilagay niya. "They key to writing digests is to know what to write and what not to write. Di naman tayo bibigyan ni Attorney ng kaso na di related sa current topic natin."

Itinuro ko sakaniya ang isa pang digest na ginawa niya. "Tignan mo ito for example. If you read the ruling you'll see that qualification of dual citizenship in the Philippines is repeatedly discussed by the Supreme Court. So from there, you can infer that the issue is whether or not the respondent is a citizen of the Philippines. That's basically the issue of the digest."

Naka-awang ang labi ni Gabby habang nage-explain ako sakaniya ng iba't ibang tips kung paano din siya pwedeng bumawi sa recit. I really hope this helps her. I'd hate to see her cry again, lalo na't di pa naman ako magaling magcomfort.

"Ganito, the next time we're asked to make a case digest, pretend you're talking to someone. Mag-kuwento ka lang tungkol sa kaso at kung ano ang sabihin mo, that's basically your case digest in a nutshell."

"Thank you for this, Alexandria. You're way too good to me."

Nag-kibit balikat nalang ako sakaniya. Other people would prefer to keep these tips to themselves so they'd remain on top and secure their spot.

But I'd rather not.

Sure, there's a chance na makalamang nga sila sa akin, but that only means I should work harder and not remain complacent with where I currently stand. The world's already a cruel and selfish place. I guess I can try to make it a little better by helping others. Wala namang mawawala sakin.

"Thanks again, Alexandria. I'm going home na ha? Nandito na daw driver ko." She hugged me tightly as her thanks. I tried hugging her back, but I'm an awkward hugger so tinawanan niya nalang ako at umalis na.

Consti Law ang last class namin tuwing Tuesdays at Thursdays kaya naisipan kong mag-aral nalang muna sa library para sa Persons. On deck kasi ako sa recit bukas. Kasunod ko pa sina Xavier at Rafael kaya hindi pwedeng wala akong masagot, magaling pa naman yung dalawang yun.

And as much as possible, gustong gusto ko talang nag-aaral sa library o coffee shops. If I stay in my room, even for an hour, alam kong wala akong ma-aaccomplish. Makakatulog lang ako sa kama panigurado. Sayang lang sa oras. So for the past weeks, this is where I go right after my last class.

Sa library, ang kadalasang okupado ay ang mga individual tables kaya sa may long wooden desks nalang ako pumunta, tutal doon naman maraming bakanteng upuan. Inorganize ko lahat ng gamit sa lamesa, bago nagsimulang alalahanin ang mga cases na diniscuss last week. Naalala kong nagpa-recap si Attorney Ramos last meeting at nagulat ang buong block, maging ako, dahil akala namin yung cases lang for that week ang pag-uusapan. Buti nalang hindi ako natawag last time.

"Coffee?"

I looked up from the provisions I was reading to see the person sitting beside me. Boses pa lang kilala ko na kung sino siya. May hawak siyang Iced Mocha na may tatak ng coffee shop na nasa loob ng library namin. Bibili nga dapat ako kanina kaso ubos na daw.

"Where'd you get that? Sabi ni Ate wala na daw silang Iced Mocha ah?"

Xavier just shrugged before leaving the coffee on top of my table. "I noticed you're always buying this before you start studying in the library so....."

Bumili siya? Para sa akin?

"I bought this right after our last class, thinking you'll go here immediately like you always do. I didn't think you'll be half an hour late today."

"So malamig na yung kape?" Pangiinis ko sakaniya.

"Tsk. Arte. I'll drink this na nga lang."

"Hey, joke lang! Akin na, I'll drink that!" Sabi ko sabay agaw ng kape na nasa lamesa. Nagtatampo pa to, biro lang eh!

"Thank you.... kahit di na siya Iced Mocha. Mocha nalang dahil tunaw na yung ice." I teased him while happily sipping on my drink. Coffee can really set me in such a good mood.

"Next time, huwag ka na magrequest ng plastic straw. May metal straw naman ako since palagi akong bumibili ng iced coffee." Dagdag ko habang umiinom pa rin.

"Bold of you to assume, there's going to be a next time." He teased.

Binaba ko ang kapeng iniinom ko bago hinarap siya. I looked at him with challenging eyes. "Of course there will be. You can't resist me, Alleje."

"Yeah, you're right. I can't."

Bahagyang kumunot ang noo ko. "Huh?"

"Hotdog."

Inikutan ko nalang siya ng mata. "Ewan ko sa'yo, Xavier."

Nginisian niya nalang ako bago ginulo ang buhok ko. He always does that to my hair! Sinapak ko siya sa balikat bago hinarap siya muli. "I appreciate the free coffee but I'm here to study okay? Don't disturb me." I warned him.

"Roger that, Andra. I'll just quietly study beside you." He answered before pulling out Sta. Maria's Persons & Family Relations book.

Buti nalang at tamang book ang nabili niya. Si Lorenzo kasi, yung isang kaibigan niya sa class, kay Rabuya yung nabiling book kaya sinigawan siya ni Attorney nung isang linggo. Sa sobrang takot niya, binili niya na lahat ng editions ng PFR books kahit di naman pinrescribe ng prof yun. These rich boys are really something else, huh?

True to what he said, Xavier really was quiet the whole time he was studying beside me. He knows I don't like studying with noisy people. Nung isang beses na tumabi si Miguel sa amin, yung madaldal na kaibigan ni Xavier sa block, agad akong tumayo at lumipat ng lamesa kasi alam kong magiingay nanaman siya. Tinawanan nalang ako ni Xavier noon, bago iniwan si Miguel at lumipat ulit sa tabi ko. Minsan iniisip kong walang kwentang kaibigan talaga tong si Xavier.

When the clock striked 8, nagring na ng bell ang librarian upang paalisin ang mga students na nasa library pa. Xavier and I quickly stood up and fixed our things. Masungit pa naman yung librarian na yun kapag nageextend yung mga tao dito. Matanda na rin kasi.

"Where are you going after this?"

"Dinner."

"Can I join you?"

"Isn't your family looking for you or something?" Buong hapon niya na nga akong kasama sa library, pati ba naman sa dinner, ako pa rin?

"Isn't your family looking for you too?" Binalik niya sakin ang tanong ko.

Si Kuya lang naman ang nag-aalala para sakin dati. Siya lang din sa pamilya ang nagtatanong kung kumain na ba ako ng dinner o kung may kasama ba ako sa dining table. Even if he's busy with work, Alfonso always found time to eat dinner with me.

And now that he's gone? No one's looking for me anymore.

Umiling nalang ako sakaniya at mapait na ngumiti. "I always eat dinner alone."

"Well congrats Andra, you're not alone anymore." He answered before pulling my wrist to make me walk faster to the parking lot. "C'mon, I'm starving. I heard Tetsuo just opened in Katipunan. Why don't we go there?"

I hesitated for awhile.

On normal days, I'd dine outside and then come home just to study and sleep. My parents never waited for me to eat dinner, they'd always go ahead and just leave food for me to eat. Of course I'd rather just eat alone outside than to eat alone in our own home. The latter is more lonesome and I refuse to make myself feel any worse. Pagod na nga ako sa school, malulungkot pa ako sa bahay? I'd rather not.

Funny how I'm so used to being alone that the idea of having someone even just for a simple dinner is so bizarre to me now. Ganito pala ang pakiramdam na mayroong makakausap pagkatapos ng isang mahirap na araw sa law school.

Bumuntong hininga ako bago tumango kay Xavier.

"Okay. Parking is hard to find there so just ride my car. I'll drop you back to Malcom after we eat so you can pick up your car. Sounds good?"

I smiled back at him. "Yeah. Sounds good to me."

Pagkadating namin sa Tetsuo, nag-order kami ng Chicken Karaage, Soba at Pork Buns. The restaurant had a neon vibe that was cute for aesthetic photos. I took out my phone to take an IG story of the food that was served.

"Are you not gonna take a photo of me?"

"Pagkain ka ba para picturan ko?"

He smirked at me before putting his arms on the table and leaning forward. "Pwede naman."

"Alleje, yang bibig mo!"

"What about it? My mouth can do a'lot of things." He wiggled his brows for effect.

I rolled my eyes at his reply. "Ugh, shut up already."

"I'm just kidding. Let's eat please, I'm starving."

While I was happily slicing my chicken karaage, I caught him taking a photo of me. A few seconds later my phone vibrated from an instagram notification.

@SebastianAlleje tagged you in a story.

The story had the caption, "fun fact: the only way to see @alexandriadefensor smile is to give her food, coffee.... or when she's with me (jk 1/2)."

The IG story was edited so that his selfie was attached to my photo as well. Marunong pala gumamit ng IG story effects tong si Xavier.

"Repost that okay? Para naman magkaroon ng gwapo sa stories mo, puro Santino laman eh. Nakakasira ng mata."

Natawa nalang ako sakaniya. Laki talaga ng galit niya kay Santino.

We spent an entire hour just chatting and talking about the most random stuff. From the professors we hate, to the classmates we didn't like kasi masiyadong bida-bida sa profs. Turns out, we both wanted to visit New York City for our Christmas Break too. I was just smiling the whole time, even when Xavier dropped me off at Malcolm already.

This is the first time in months that I actually feel genuinely happy.

--

Author's Note:

hi! i previously mentioned that the leads have  obligations & contract (oblicon) as one of their classes for their first semester in law school. i'd just like to clarify that oblicon is normally taken during the 2nd semester of first year, and not the first semester. that's a mistake on my part, but i'll still follow the same classes in this story for the sake of consistency.

thank you so much for your understanding! rest assured, i'll be more cautious with facts like this on the next chapters & stories. should you have any comments, suggestions or concerns, please let me know as i am open to discourse and of course, being educated. enjoy :)

-A

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

999K 31.7K 80
Being alone? Check. Being afraid? Check. Being abused? Check times 3. Honestly, my life wasn't this bad before, not until I ended in foster care... S...
22.9K 1.3K 66
[Book 2] You can't escape the mafia. Stella's world has fallen apart more than once. Even so, she tries to hold on to the shattered pieces of her hu...
1.3M 27.4K 59
[COMPLETED] _____________________________________________ "You're worth more than a fucking deal, Amara." __________________________________________...
145K 4.1K 57
(Editing) Warning: this book contains many strong women who won't take shit from any man. Some viewers may be upset by that.... :( *** After Grayson...