Choices

By pennilesspiere

Donghyuck is an average high school student who has always had a crush on mark lee the hottest guy in school... More

Summary & Playlist
Intro
First day back
Wanna hang out?
Make out sessions
One step forward
The Confidant
Long time no see
The Bench
Jealousy
You're mine
Little bit at a time
Confrontation
Familiarity
I need you
The hitch in the road
Cats out of the bag
Long Shot
Game Plan
Rooftop Getaway
Heart to Heart
Oasis
Family time
Rooftop Betrayal
One step forward Two steps back
Out of the closet
Opening Up
The revelation
Confession?
Quite the ride
Forever

The course of true love never did run smooth

212 14 5
By pennilesspiere

The day seemed gloomier than usual, the gray clouds gathered above them covering the sun from view. A bolt of lightning flashed in the sky followed by a loud rumble signalling the onset of a rainstorm. Donghyuck felt like the world was complementing his mood as he looked out the window at the puddles of rainwater from last night's shower. He pulled his hoodie on top of his head as they neared the school entrance worried it may get drenched even before he enters first period. Donghyuck sat up in alert when he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket, he immediately took it out with a little bit of discomfort since he was still wearing the seatbelt and he always kept his phone in his back pocket. He flipped it around to see a notification for a text message sent by Renjun which simply read

Renjun:

You two better be coming

I'll kill you if you make me go through 2 hours of PE alone

Donghyuck closed his phone putting it in his jacket pocket instead. He had tried calling and texting Mark but received radio silence in return. He did feel guilty about what he did, he hadn't expected Mark to ever find out about it and what he doesn't know can't hurt him. Donghyuck looked out the window once again, a single droplet trickling down the side of it. His attention was only brought back to reality when Jeno switched off the radio, stepping out of the car. Donghyuck followed behind closely still deep in thought about what he was supposed to do next.

"You okay?" Jeno asked coming closer to Donghyuck, wrapping an arm over his shoulder as he peeked under his hood to get a look at his face.

"Uhm" Donghyuck muttered nodding his head, his eyes still fixed on the ground. There were a hundred things clouding his mind and a part of him didn't even want to see Mark. He never wanted to hurt Mark's feelings and now that he had he didn't know if he would be able to take it if Mark just stopped being his usual self around him.

-

The hall was practically full as a few more students poured in wearing their sports uniforms which was blue and white with the school logo on one corner of it. While everyone was either busy complaining about the weather and how they can't play outside or just chatting with their friends Donghyuck found himself looking at the entrance waiting for a certain someone to enter.

"Hellooo" Chenle called out waving his hand in front of his friends face.

Donghyuck blinked a few times focusing his attention on Chenle, who kept snapping his fingers in front of the older's face. Donghyuck held Chenle's wrist in his hands pushing him away and pretending to be annoyed. The signature dolphin like laugh entered his ears bringing an instant smile onto his face as Renjun informed them about some random gossip he had heard recently which Donghyuck couldn't care less about as his eyes drifted to the door again. Mark had his eyes fixed on his phone screen as he walked right past him towards Lucas who was talking to Jeno with his one arm holding onto a basketball while the other kept moving to insinuate his words.

Donghyuck kept unmindfully nodding his head at Renjun's words, tapping his feet impatiently on the hardwood floors. Donghyuck looked back at his friends realizing they had switched to talking in Chinese and were paying him as much attention as he was paying them. He took this opportunity to slip off towards where Mark was still staring down at his phone which you weren't even supposed to have on you during PE. Donghyuck looked at the two doorways leading inside the hall before holding Mark by the arm and waving at the other two.

"Can I borrow him for a minute?" Donghyuck asked already pulling Mark away from them towards the corridor. Jeno simply nodded while Lucas looked from Mark to Donghyuck before giving them a small nod and going back to focusing on Jeno.

"What?" Mark asked gritting his teeth, pulling his hand free from Donghyuck's hold.

"Can we please talk?" Donghyuck asked lowering his tone of voice to match Mark's

"I have nothing to say to you" Mark said averting his eyes away from Donghyuck's gaze.

"Just give me two minutes" Donghyuck pleaded holding Mark's hand with both of his.

"What could you possibly say in two minutes that would make this any better" Mark whisper yelled stealing a glance around him to make sure they were out of earshot.

"I..."

"Thought so" Mark uttered starting to walk away only to be pulled back with a hand on his wrist.

"Just give me a chance... please" Mark wanted to just walk away, he wanted to be cold but just looking at Haechan made his heart do flips. The longer he looked at his eyes, seeing guilt flashing in his eyes the more he could feel his walls melting away and he hated himself for not being more stubborn. Mark closed his eyes momentarily simply nodding trying not to focus on the younger's puppy dog eyes.

Donghyuck looked around once again deciding it was better for them to have this conversation outside. Before Mark knew he was being pulled by his hand towards the exit that led to the field which was probably completely wet because of the ongoing showers throughout the day. He could feel himself breaking apart the moment he looked down at their hands, tightening the grip around the brunette's fingers ever so slightly. He didn't know why he was so forgiving of Haechan's action and even though a part of him didn't want to, he knew they would end up making amends and he would end up hurt once again but at this point he had no strength in him to fight off these overwhelming feelings that seemed to be getting more and more destructive.

They stepped onto the muddy grass covering their heads with their hands; it was just drizzling now making it easier for them to go outside just for a little while. Donghyuck quickened his pace going under the bleachers to shelter them from the rain. The water running down the side of the stands being the only thing to be heard as Mark tried to calm his already beating heart.

"Look I know there isn't an excuse for this.." Donghyuck starts being interrupted by a scoff escaping Mark's lips.

"I didn't think it would hurt you" Donghyuck added fumbling with his hands not sure if he should touch the boy in front of him.

"There's a lot of things you didn't think would hurt me" Mark said looking down at his shoes giving his everything into keeping his composure.

"What's the point of all this? Why would you take him to my special place?" Mark added the anger clear in his voice. Donghyuck reached his hand out forward to hold Mark which only made Mark step back trying to get away from his reach.

"I didn't mean for you to find out"

"I..." Mark stutters letting out a laugh before continuing

"You know in the 6 years I've known that place you're the first person I took there"

"I'm sorry I really am..."

"No, you don't get it. I trusted you with something important to me" Mark says taking a deep breath before adding

"I trusted you with part of me and all you've done so far is walk all over me" Mark could feel the tears sting his eyes as he went on

"Why is it so hard to choose?" Mark yelled out making Donghyuck flinch instinctively.

"I... I don't know" Donghyuck said looking right at Mark, the expression on his face pricking at Donghyuck's heart.

"If you don't like me tell me. Just tell me if you don't want this. I'll be hurt of course I would, but I won't be hurting every day. Stop playing with me" Mark says moving further away when Donghyuck goes to cup his face leaving him standing there with his hands hanging in the middle.

"I like you of course I do..."

"But you like him too? Is that your answer?" Mark speaks up the tears clouding his eyes threatening to fall any minute. Mark simply nodded looking down at the ground when he was met with silence from Donghyuck's part.

"Well I'm done. I'm done having my self worth get destroyed because you refuse to make a choice. So yeah it's me or him"

"I...I thought you were okay with this" Donghyuck said stepping a little closer to him hoping it doesn't tick him off again.

"Well I'm not. I'm tired of making you a priority when you just treat me like an accessory." Mark spits out, the red hot tears he had been holding back flowing down his cheek. Donghyuck moved closer to him taking Mark's hand into his. The sight of Mark crying in front of him looking so vulnerable made him feel even worse about himself.

Mark looked up to see Donghyuck's eyes welling up as well and he really wondered why he was playing a game that he may not win. It was just a sick joke he wish would end. Mark looks down at their hands placing the palm of Donghyuck's hand on top of his chest, his heart starting to beat faster the moment he looked into Donghyuck's eyes. He wanted to say it so badly and he really would mean it.

"I love you"

Donghyuck could feel the heat crawling up his skin when he heard those words coming out of Mark's mouth. The rain seemed to get heavier, the pounding of the rain falling on the seats above matching the one in his chest. Donghyuck fisted his hand that was on Mark's chest pressing his lips on the others harshly. All of his thoughts turned into mush when he felt Mark's lips moved along with his making him feel everything and nothing all at once. Donghyuck snaked his hand around Mark's neck running his fingers through his hair as he felt the now cold tears brush against his cheeks. Donghyuck pulled away resting his head against Mark's before saying

"I love you too"

A/N:

Okay so I finally got time to write yay. Also as ive said before in this story no one is a good guy, no ones perfect just like no one irl is perfect either. So yeah if you think the characters are so messad up well theyre meant to be. Also I just realized that I my have some young reader so I just want to make it clear that I do not condone such behaviour. Also let me know what you thought about this chapter.Happy Reading!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.5K 1.3K 29
⟨A Markhyuck Fanfiction⟩ [In which Mark Lee doesn't hate Lee Donghyuck as much as he thought he did.] -Enemies to lovers au Trigger warnings are to b...
33.9K 1.4K 24
Mark is a cute guy no doubt. Brothers Jaehyun and Jaemin can't help but fall for him either. [Completed]✔
17K 995 16
donghyuck is just a normal and very gay student who doesn't need anything more in his life. well, that's what he was convinced before seeing the one...
15.1K 506 32
When Mark is attracted to Donghyuck sexually whilst Donghyuck is actually in love with Mark and only gives him because he loves him too much to say n...