Allegiance

By IDrawOnMyself

Lucy's brother is home and has brought a friend. Evander is a heartbroken marine dealing with PTSD. He is thr... More

One
Three
Four
Five

Two

460 33 9
By IDrawOnMyself

I woke up with a start after hearing a ruckus outside near the window to my left. Squinting my eyes from the sun peeling in through the curtains I crawled out from under the blankets to check it out. I turned the corner into the kitchen and looked out the clear glass screen door. My mother was standing there arms crossed screaming at none other than my father. What was he doing here this early? I glanced at the stove it was only 7 in the morning. I frowned and opened the door letting in the warm breeze interupting them.

"Mom?" I questioned my father's face traveled to my own. It instantly softened from the hard expression he was wearing only moments before I made myself known.

"Go inside honey." Her voice was laced with sadness and she didn't look at me keeping her back facing me. What had he said this time? My parents never got along, I don't think I have a single good memory of them together. I was relieved when I was told they were divorcing. They never could have a friendly exchange especially these days.

"Don't. I think she should hear this." My father argued taking a step on the porch. My mother hated when he tried to come into her house.

"Get your foot off my porch!" She shouted at the top of her lungs. "I told you that you weren't allowed past the end of the walkway when we divorced and by God I mean't it!" I sighed the fights were endless. I didn't really blame my mother, my father's drunken acts went too far on most occasions. I wouldn't have stood for it either, but they could at least try to not hate eachother. They didn't even pretend to like eachother for our sake.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him taking a step outside letting the door close behind me. The porch was already warm, and my feet were burning slightly from the heated wooden surface.

"I just wanted to see my kids, but that is too much to ask for." He blubbered, he wasn't drunk, but definitely not sober. As usual. My father spent most days in the bar, and nights well at the bar.

"Dad you've been drinking. Go home." I pleaded pointing back to his rusted beaten up vehicle that he'd had as long as I could remember. He once told me that you couldn't replace a good truck. He rolled his eyes taking a step forward nearly toppling over in the process. Maybe he was drunk...

"Haven't you heard a word I've said?!" My mother shouted at him fuming and that's when he lunged. He grabbed her arms shaking her roughly.

"Woman! Shut your damn mouth!" My eyes widened a little. Were we back to that? Back to the violence? I immediately stepped back inside. "Come on Lucy. Come with me." He pleaded sadly. I couldn't look at him, he was breaking my heart.

"Dad go home before I get Dylan." I begged tears welling in my eyes. He frowned and took another step closer his grip on my mother's arm tightened. "Please stop." Anger clouded his eyes, and for the first time I was afraid that he might do something to me. I immediately closed the door and ran straight to Dylan's room.

"Dylan." I spoke loudly, panicked almost. He groaned, ever since he'd been back he valued sleeping in. "Dylan wake up please. Dad's here." My voice was shakey. He sat up quickly at the mention of dad because that was never a good thing.

"Where? Here?" I pointed to the kitchen. "Stay in here Luce." He hated when my father came here. I didn't want to resort to waking him up, but I wasn't about to watch him hurt my mother again. I stood in his doorway watching from the hall.

The second Dylan walked outside my dad took a step back. He knew better than to pick a fight with Dylan. He was stronger, trained, smarter. He raised his hands with defeat and and stepped off the porch. Dylan pointed somewhere and I couldn't really hear much other than the mumbled arguement.

My dad stumbled off back the way he came and I heard his truck start up once he was out of sight. My mom and brother came inside, locking the door. Dylan hugged her then strode back down the hall. "You alright?" I nodded biting my nails. He hugged me squeezed my arm and went back to his bed.

"Sorry." I hated that I had to wake him up. He mumbled a response into his pillow making me laugh a little. I closed the door and went to find my mother. She was leaned against the kitchen counter. I could tell she was crying by her blood shot eyes. "Mom?" She looked up at me ashamedly.

"I apologize." She turned away from me quickly wiping her nose with her apron. She didn't like showing her emotions, especially with me here. She still thought of me as a little girl, and she was the type of woman who believed in being well put together. "Are you hungry? I'll make you something." She changed the subject quickly opening the fridge fumbling for something.

"Mom, are you okay?" I asked her. She was practically trembling. She sighed closing the fridge taking a step back leaning against the counter pressing her lips together. "We can talk about it?" I suggested stepping toward her.

"Not now Lucy." She said sternly spinning away from me. I grumbled and walked out the door shutting it loudly behind me. I didn't care that I was still in my pajamas. I wish she would just talk to me sometimes I was old enough to understand now. I wasn't seven years old anymore.

I walked to the bridge and looked at the drying creek. I forgot how peaceful this place made you feel. I missed it. I'd definitely have to visit more often.

"Why hello there." I rolled my eyes nothing like Jonathan's voice to ruin a beautiful morning and to think I use to love how close we lived. I ignored him hoping he'd just go away. "Why are you out here all alone?" I didn't answer still praying that by not responding he'd get discouraged. "These were always my favorite." He poked disgusting me, I should have known better than to think I'd ever get that lucky.

"Just leave okay? I don't like you anymore Jonathan. Take a hint." I shoved his hand away from me. He frowned not taking my rejection well. He was getting more and more ansty by the fact that I didn't want to be with him.

"I know you don't mean that." I shook my head. Denial. He just couldn't wrap his small brain around the fact that not every girl wants him. He was too big headed. He thought he was irresistable, but I wasn't playing hard to get. I really just didn't want him.

"Yes I do." I insisted disgusted by even the mere thought of kissing him even just one more time. He scowled angrily by my negative response.

"It's that guy isn't it? You are with him. You just don't want me to know." I laughed at him. He was so unbelievable. He truly was impossible, nothing I said phased him anymore.

"You are being ridiculous Jonathan. I just met the guy yesterday." I turned away from him. "I'm going in don't follow me." I warned. Thankfully he didn't, knowing good and well I'd sick my brother on him too.

"Come on Dylan! Just leave it alone okay?" My mother was stressing out about my father's unwelcome visit and Dylan wouldn't let it go. He hated my father, and he hated the fact that my mother wouldn't call the cops on him.

She wouldn't talk about this with her children and definitely didn't want to talk about it in front of our guest. I motioned for Evander to follow me outside. He should be having fun and not hear the fighting. He followed me outside and I led him to the horses.

"What was all that about?" I shrugged trying to pass it off as something small. I didn't want him to worry about anything. He shouldn't have to. It wasn't his problem.

"My dad came over this morning and they got in a fight. Dylan doesn't exactly fancy him." He nodded understandingly. I pointed out toward the field at an attempt to change the subject. "See that black and white spotted one?" He nodded. "She's mine. Duchess is her name." She was a beautiful Arabian horse.

"She's beautiful. How old is she?" He seemed relatively interested in our new conversation. He didn't know anything about horses most likely, but they were interesting creatures nonetheless. At least I thought so.

"Almost 7. She's great." He smiled at me. I took a lot of pride in our horses. They were all special in their own ways. We use to show them off in the county fair.

"Which one is your brothers?" I pointed toward the largest horse we owned. He's jet black with just a small diamond of white between his eyes.

"The black one right over there. He's a stallion, my brother says he can't take away his manhood." This made Evander laugh.

"Sounds like something he'd say." I agreed, my brother was quite the character. He was a serious guy when it came to certain things, but his personality usually was fun and carefree.

"His name is Saturday." Evander's beautiful laugh was growing on me and I was happy that I had helped it escape from him.

"Why's that? Wait let me guess, he got him on a Saturday?" I nodded my brother sure was creative. "He sure put a lot of thought into that name." Duchess came to greet us and stuffed her big nose right into my face. I grinned she didn't have any respect for boundaries, but she was very kind. I rubbed between her eyes gently pleasing her.

"You can pet her if you want to." I offered, she'd only ever bitten my brother and that was because he'd been teasing her with an apple. He gingerly stuck his hand out and Duchess sniffed it curiously. I smirked at his expression which was a mixture of fear and doubt. After Duchess approved of his scent she allowed him to scratch behind her ear. Once she'd moved her mouth away from his hand he relaxed again.

"Why doesn't Dylan like your dad?" I thought this distraction would work. I sighed. Why were humans naturally curious?

"Dad just isn't good to my mom." He accepted this information and didn't question any further on the subject. I was greatful for that because I hated talking about my parents.

We swung around when we heard the front door slam loudly echoing spooking my horse. Her tail flicked and back legs quivered. Dylan strutted angrily down the path I could almost see steam rising from his skin. I sort of wanted to go after him, but decided against it. He probably wanted to cool off first.

"Should we see if he is alright?" I shook my head at Evander not wanting him involved in the drama. I didn't even want to be apart of it to be honest.

"He'll be okay." Evander jumped when Duchess' cold nose huffed against his cheek. I giggled at his reaction. "I think she likes you." His smile protruded from ear to ear.

"So do I."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Drowning By Patty

Teen Fiction

154K 4.7K 29
Anastasia Miller has been moved around her whole life while her mother tried to find a perfect husband. She’s hoping that her mother’s new husband, D...
153 3 42
Maisie's life is sent spiraling when traumatic events derail everything she's ever known. She was talking about college and graduation and now she's...
250K 10.9K 59
This isn't a story for the faint of heart. This is a story about a girl who loved a boy. A boy who couldn't love her back. This is a story about the...
1M 39.9K 26
Rachel had survived the worst kind of heartache and had moved on with her life by following a dream that she had always had, to be a medical relief w...