Beyond Midnight

By softsloth

"I've been taught that girls have no value, and he's the only one who assures me that I do." Soleil is a gir... More

prologue
|01|
|02|
|03|
|04|
|05|
|06|
|07|
|08|
|09|
|10|
|12|
|13|
|14|
|15|
|16|
|17|
|18|
|19|
|20|
|21|
|22|
|23|
|24|
|25|
epilogue
Book 4: Heathen

|11|

40.5K 2.1K 160
By softsloth

Soleil

I relentlessly drum my fingers on the wooden arm chair, flicking my gaze down the hall, and then to the door in which I'm waiting to open.

Oddly enough, the President of the Group chose for his office to be in the office that used to be for a principal. Go figure.

This meeting is important, and it's all I've been thinking about for the past few days as the new information has officially sunken in.

Aliens. They're aliens. Fray is an alien.

Somehow I know it, feel it to my very core. I never questioned or doubted it after the proof I was shown. I was alarmed, sure, but not in denial.

It's a miracle that I didn't scream bloody murder as soon as I put the pieces together. I kind of just... shut down. My joy at being hugged and touched by my dream man was stamped out by the fact that he's not even human. Seeing the spaceship so casually situated in the middle of the woods was my undoing. I couldn't speak, I could hardly breathe the whole time I walked around the ship,

As soon as I returned home, I knew I had to do something about it. I had to tell someone. The Group needs to know that these enormous men are aliens, and that they mean us no harm.

Maybe then it will make sense to them, like it does to me, and then they will see reason, they have to.

It's taken me a while to accept the fact that Fray and his friends aren't humans. And I avoided seeing him as a result. I didn't know what I would do if I saw him and his glowing yellow eyes again. The idea of his strange nature disturbs me and excites me all at the same time. I don't know what it is about it. The thought of adventure, the semblance of something new in my monotonous life.

If I went to go see Fray, I don't know if I would run away from him or towards him. I'm caught in the middle. I'm not sure which way I would go.

The wooden door creaks as it opens, revealing President Garick in all his glory. He's bald, tall, and has an air of arrogance surrounding him like a magnetic force determined to repel me. Unfortunately, I'm strong enough to resist the force of repulsion, therefore I must suffer through his company.

"Oh, Soleil, how nice of you to join me. You wanted to talk?" He wonders out loud, his hand still locked on the doorknob.

I all but glare at him. I've been waiting for days to talk to him. He was apparently too busy to talk to someone as unimportant as me. I shrugged the insult off, I'm really not surprised at all. That's the sad part.

"Yes, Mr. President. I have something very important to talk to you about." I confess uncomfortably. His gaze runs up and down my nervous form, nodding his head dismissively.

"Well, come on in." He says, opening the door wider to let me pass.

I wring my hands, accepting his invitation and walking into his large office. I've only been in here once or twice, so it's strange to be back again. I feel a little uncomfortable here, especially under these circumstances. He's going to think that I'm crazy as soon as I open my mouth. I'm going to make a fool of myself. I don't really care though, as long as I have a shot of helping Fray. If they're granted access inside the compound, then we can be together.

Picturing a life with him is like a dream, I realize how much I want him, even after the shock of him not being human.

Taking a seat, I silently observe President Garick slide behind his desk and plop into his expensive leather chair. He props his elbows up on the table, folding his fingers together. He smiles at me. I lean away from him.

"I think that I know what this is about, little lady." He muses. I open my mouth, and then close it again. There's no way that he can know what this is about. Not in his wildest dreams. But, I humor him.

"Is this because of Paul's advances towards you?" Garick wonders, and I gawk at him.

He knows? He knows and has the nerve to be amused by it? I suddenly want to flee, get away as fast as I can. I swallow the bile that threatens to rise up my throat. I can get through this, I just need to push past the misogyny first.

"No." I reply shortly, and he seems surprised. He continues with his nonsense.

"Well, regardless, you'll need to take a husband eventually. You're not getting any younger, you know." He points out. I want to scream at him that I'm only 18, and I don't want a marriage like the ones around here, but I stay silent.

I put on a fake smile, knowing that I need to go along with this to please him. If I get on his good side, then maybe I have a shot at making him believe what I'm about to tell him.

"Anyway, about what I came here for..." I trail off. He raises his bushy eyebrows at me, impatiently expectant for what I'm going to say. I clear my throat. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be. "I wanted to talk to you about the men that are outside the gates."

Panic flashes across his eyes. It's as if he's more comfortable to just sit around and pretend that nothing is wrong. We all know it's a lie. The whole compound is on lockdown. Everyone looks to President Garick for guidance. He's supposed to protect us, act out of care for what's best for us. But staying away from Fray and his gang is not what's best. I just know it. All I have to do is make him see that.

"I really don't want to discuss that with you, Soleil. It's a sensitive subject, and civilians don't need to know anything about it." I want to correct him. He really means to say that women have no place to hear about anything, but I clamp my mouth shut.

Be good, Soleil. Play the role of the quiet, reserved girl that they want you to be.

"I just got some information on them that I thought you might find helpful." I say. That sparks his interest. It's about time.

"What? What is it?" He wonders, his tone a bit too demanding.

I sigh, preparing myself for what I'm about to reveal.

"It's going to sound crazy, but its 100 percent true. Ok?" I bite my lip. "They're aliens." I state simply, blurting the bitter syllables before I can chicken out.

I don't really know what I was expecting. Scrutiny for sure, maybe rapid fire questions shot at me, but I certainly was not expecting what I get. Laughter, a sharp chuckle that settles in my stomach like a punch.

My lips part in disbelief.

"Aliens?" He barks, putting a hand to his chest as his laughter continues. President Garick is grinning from ear to ear as if I've just told a knockout joke. I frown. Maybe I should have expected something like this. It's not the most rational sounding thing in the world, but I had to have hope that it would work. I have to look forward, I need to keep trying.

"Yes. I know it doesn't seem real, but its true. I know it. I saw their..." The word spaceship almost pops out of my mouth before I can retract my chatty tongue.

I don't need to expose myself. I broke the rules, and I almost admitted it to the man in charge. Way to go.

"You saw what?" He presses, all traces of humor fleeing. I cringe. I should have been smarter. Why didn't I think this through more thoroughly before showing up at this terrible place to talk to such an arrogant, sexist man? I should have prepared a presentation or something, maybe written an essay with all my points.

It's a little too late for that now, I suppose.

"What you're claiming is ridiculous, and frankly, I thought you were telling a joke. You can't possibly be serious." He demands. I quiet down, knowing deep down that this was a long shot. I silently give up.

"I think I know what's going on here.." Before Garick finishes his thought, I already know that he's going to be dead wrong. I let him speak anyway. "You want to distract me from the fact that you need a husband. Well, it won't work. By the time you're 20, you will be married. Make no mistake."

His words are a promise, and I become sick from hearing them. I clutch my gut, trying to force the tears in my eyes to recede. I leave President Garick's office quickly after that. I want to be far from here. Part of me begs to delve into the woods until I find that spaceship and somehow hide as a stowaway, fly off into space and never to be heard from again. That seems like my only chance at escape, the new shot at having a happy life that I so desperately need. A life I can create with an alien man with silver hair.

My brain latches onto that one person who always makes me feel better. I realize suddenly that I'm just standing in the hallway like an idiot when my mind is elsewhere.

I need Fray. I cant wait to be in his company. I want him now.

Well, I better go find him.

Hope y'all enjoyed! Don't forget to vote and comment. Predictions? Thoughts? Let me know, I want to hear from you.

Now I'm going to bed because I'm very tired lol.

Next chapter should be up soon, love y'all :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 87.4K 24
"He's not a monster! Elik is my mate. The holder of my heart. He's a protector. He's my protector." ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ Penelope thought...
175 9 20
"Those aliens are not my concern, the Earth and her populations are. Now, Callisto of the Scout Regiment to Salutem, as a citizen of this planet and...
1.2K 459 35
A race of godly creatures made from the stars named Starzithians have become in danger as a group of people from across the galaxy have sought out th...
Human By Katie

Science Fiction

2.4K 101 27
Katie is no one special. To her, she was a shy insecure girl that didn't have a clue of what to do with her life. To her friends, she was a silly gir...