Wilting Roses (Formerly known...

By Ortiz-Novels

Heart broken and mistreated by her arranged husband, Scarlett Heart seeks refuge in a massive garden hidden i... More

Cover Art
Copyright © 2014 by Mara L. Ortiz
Wedding Day
Grand Feast
Arrival
2 years and 9 Month's
Tragic Karma
Guilt
Punishment
The Little Things
Apologies
Conflicted
Little Lies
Challanged Thought's
Falling Harder
Heart At Ease
Rejection
Urgent Message
Recovery and Dispair
Hiding in Plain Sight
The Truth
Anticipation
The Encounter
The Day is Gone
Heart Warming Farewell
Carnival
When Push Comes to Shove
Plead Bargin
Against All Odds
Holding On to Stay True
Final Blow
True Love's Last Kiss
Pressure
Fear of The Truth
Confrontation
There's A Fire
Looking for Shelter
Winter Has Come
Peace
Sweet Winter Spring & Summer
Fin

Set Things Right

49.7K 1.9K 64
By Ortiz-Novels

Chapter Thirty Three

Scarlett descended her carriage and ran up the porch steps into the warmth safety of her home. The wind was an evil villain as it began to pick up pace while the temperature dropped harshly.

"Where on earth did you go?" her mother asked greeting her at the door.

"I'm sorry mother, the market was hectic and I lost track of time," she lied.

"There is dinner to be put on the table," she pointed out helping her with the basket.

"I came home as soon as I could. There wasn't much to salvage, everything is almost gone." Scarlett huffed out. She hurried to slip from her scarf and coat, hanging the material next to a few nails near the door.

"What is that you carry?" Her mother questioned; eyeing the large bundle inside the basket.

"Meat," Scarlett responded walking past her.

"Meat? Where did you afford enough to get meat?" Lady Worthington said, following after her into the kitchen.

"I saw him in the market...and he insisted on paying for it," Scarlett admitted placing the basket over the table

"Dathan?"

"Yes." Scarlett reached for a cloth shyly wrapping the apron around her waist.

"What did he say?"

"He was a gentleman we talked for a while as I did my shopping and then I came home." She honestly replied.

"It explains why you lost track of time." She mused, placing her hands on her hips.

"In a way." Scarlett replied with a faint smile on her lips. There was nothing that could rob her of the giddiness filling her heart. She was desperate for this week to come to an end.

"Whatever shall we do with such a great amount?" Lady Worthington said, her eyes took in the large quantity and a smile reached her lips. "Well then, I am glad the Worrall's are coming for a visit. It looks as if that boy really is determined to court Nichole."

"Yes, I am glad that she has found someone." Was all she could manage to say. After the conversation she and Dathan had shared, her thought's seems to cloud. She was beginning to let his words haunt her.

It wasn't healthy for her to think that way but how could she disregard such bold words. Scarlett shuttered inwardly and instead of thinking about any longer she chose to focused on preparing their meal. Her only hope was that Dathan was wrong somehow.

***

Dinner had been over and Scarlett sat in the living room with a belly full of well cooked meat and vegetables. Her father had insisted she tell him were she had gotten the money for it, but her mother had waved him away. She was glad for it too; she didn't want to talk about Dathan at the dinner table, for she was afraid what her family might have to say about him. She sat in the living room staring into the fireplace, wondering what Dathan might just be doing. Of course that was all she would think until she got to see him again and tell him the truth about everything.

She prepared herself for the worst, she really didn't know just how he might react to all of this, and she wondered if he would want her back after all. She didn't want to think negative, but all she could do was hope for the best. Across from her sat Nicole and Drake fiddling with each other's hands, she pointed to his palm as if telling his future, but Drakes eyes seemed to be glued to Scarlett's. She tried to ignore that he looked directly at her, as if not caring if Nicole would catch him. Feeling rather odd and angered, Scarlett stood and excused herself for the day.

She felt a twinge of fear twist in her gut as she hurried to reach the steps tailgate would lead her to her room.

"He likes you I can tell," Dathan had told her at the market. She had taken it as a foolish act of jealousy from his part. But now things seemed to be proving Dathan's words true. She headed for the stairs determined to stay up there until they left.

"Could I speak with you for a moment?" she heard Drake ask. She froze as she put her foot over the first step; smiling politely she turned to face him.

"Was there something that you needed?" she asked pretending to boast.

"Do you teach art lessons?" he questioned nearing the stairs.

"No, I've never had the honor."

"Well I was hoping you would consider taking in your first student?" he muttered biting his down on his lip.

"Excuse me?" Her eyes glanced behind Drake in hopes that maybe Nichole would come out in search of him.

"I was wondering if you'd be interested in giving me art lessons," he repeated smiling his dashing smile.

"I...don't know what to really say to that, It's never been heard of that a woman give a man art lessons," Scarlett responded a little nervous. "Have you mentioned this to Nicole?" she added.

"Well no, I just decided, and on the contrary it doesn't bother me at all that a woman teach me how to paint. After all you are indeed the supreme beings most of us admire." he admitted chuckling.

"I don't know what to say to that," Scarlett said, she began to feel uneasy as he reached for the railing and put one foot over the first step. Scarlett reacted by pushing farther up and away from him.

"You are a great artist, say you will teach me and I will reward you handsomely." He persisted.

"Have a seat with your family Drake, I am sure they are wondering where you are." She said.

"I want to give a painting to a certain someone as a gift but lack the skills to finish this portrait." He said following after her. Scarlett stiffen a bit as she stared at Drake.

"Are we trying to impress Nichole?" she asked innocently.

Drake turned over his shoulder and watched as the shadows of the company mingled about in the living room area. Taking another bold step he stood but a foot away from Scarlett before taking her hands.

"Lady Scarlett, you truly are a woman to admire. I must admit that when I first laid eyes on you I was taken aback by your beauty and grace." He said.

She slipped away from his grip and felt fear overwhelm her as she stood stunned by his bold words. "You seek to court my sister yet talk words of passion to me." She said. A snarl formed on her lips as she glared in direction.

"Then I shall make things right and be clear about my intentions with Nichole. From the moment she spoke of your nobility I was swept away with fascination. I was desperate to meet you yet I knew that the only way to see you was to get Nichole to invite me here. I don't know how to tell her that I am not interested in her in the least. It is you whom I seek to court, that is if you will have me." He confessed.

Scarlett shook her head, a wave of nausea washed over her as she gripped the railing to the stairs.

"I do not find you the least interesting Drake Worrall, how could you not be man enough to be clear with my sister? You have not only led her on but my family as well. My father!" she hissed.

"Lady Scarlett, please do not be angry with me. Allow me to make it up to you." He insisted.

Scarlett shook her head and scoffed at his words. "You will walk out of this home and never return. If you do not tell Nichole the truth, I will." She spat.

She turned and straightened her back, gathering her dress she went up each step with determination. Upon reaching her room she shut the door and closed her eyes. How could Drake have the gull to confront her in such a way? She could only imagine what Nichole would think after all of this came out into the open. Her only hope was that her dear sister recovered from such a blow.

Dathan had been right all along and as much as Scarlett had wanted to ignore his words they came true before her very eyes. She felt her heart hammer and her hands shake. She was filled with anger as she finally pushed away from the door and proceeded to dress for bed. If by the morning Nichole was still fooled into thinking she would build a life with Drake she would gather the courage to tell her somehow.

As she sat before her dressed, she stared at her pale complexions. She hated that she looked a lot older than she truly was. A woman in her twenties had to look her best yet Scarlett had ignored this. Her hair had grown past her waist and it was quite the handful to comb through and gather every morning.

Something glinted as the thought crossed her mind and she took it as a sign the instant her eyes made contact with the large pair of metal scissors. With a faint smile she reached over and took the heavy things into her hands. She let out a heavy sigh and looked into the mirror. The smile tugging at her lips could not vanish as she gathered her hair into a braid. Spilling the large knotted tress over her shoulder she took in a deep breath and snipped. The long chocolate colored strings of her hair now laid limp in her hand.

Scarlett lifted her gaze to look in the mirror and saw her hair rest just above her shoulders.

"Something different." She muttered as she gathered what had been left of her hair into a smaller braid. Taking the rest she placed it in a cloth and secured it into one of her drawers. Tomorrow she would seek to donate it to Mr. Van Dot, the owner of the hair parlor in the city.

"Scarlett? Could I speak with you?" Came Nichole voice. Scarlett swept away whatever hair had been lying about and stood to receive her sister. Upon entry she noticed what Scarlett had done and laughed to see just how daring she had been.

"What on earth have you done? Do you have any idea how small that braid is?" Nichole laughed.

Scarlett reached to touch it but all she could feel was a smile tug at her lips. "I want to feel different." She replied.

Nichole brushed away a stray tear from the laughter and finally walked into to take a seat on her sister's bed. "Isn't Drake just a dream?" She sighed.

Scarlett felt her throat knot at her sister's words and quietly took a seat next to her. "If you say so." She muttered.

"He is the perfect gentleman, he want to speak with me privately in two days' time. I am dead nervous Scarlett, do you think he might ask for my hand?" Nichole beamed. A bright blush filled her cheeks as she held herself.

"I don't know, but let us take things slowly and only hope for the best." Scarlett tried to say.

"I am certain nothing but good news is coming. Oh I cannot wait." She giggled. Jumping from Scarlett's bed the bouncy blonde kissed her sister on the cheek and hurried out the room. Scarlett sat in bed feeling suddenly treacherous. She needed to tell Nichole if Drake didn't. She would wait the two days and see. For she would not allow Drake to hurt her so.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 213 56
Scarlett and Luke found each other when they were completely broken and somehow managed to fix each other's broken hearts. They are soulmates; but so...
2K 214 45
Luke wanted to be a soldier for as long as he could remember. Now, after an injury forced him out of the Army, he finds himself in Montana wondering...
Ruth-less By Kiera

Short Story

869 17 19
When Scarlett Black, a beautiful girl with a dark past, moves to Seattle for a fresh start, she doesn't expect to run into Daniel White. Scarlett had...
15.3K 1.3K 48
Things don't seem to settle for Nora. She is back but it doesn't feel the same, it never did. But she needs to handle it anyways. She needs to deal w...