Stay

By IntrovertlyInvested

Independence and Loneliness When you're adopted from birth you get used to it. At least when you're Lucas Hun... More

Author's Notes
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34

23

13 0 0
By IntrovertlyInvested

John Adams High School-7:53am

''Are you sure you wanna do this, Luke? I can always call Angela or Shawn to come to pick you up if you don't want to be here today''

Riley is going to do everything she can to keep a close eye on Lucas today. Considering that she knows that everyone knows about the accident and what happened. However, she knows a certain person may be here. How he's still here in this school, she may never know.

''Of course, I want to, I know that I can't just hide away from the world and my life forever''

She laces her hand into his as they enter the school building and all eyes turn towards them.

''What are you guys looking at? They're not a freak show that you're paying to look at. Move along now!''

Riley is thankful that she has her brothers there to protect her when need be. Although it does seem to be as if Elliot is being somewhat overprotective of his baby sister since the accident occurred. 

''Thanks, El, appreciate it''

Riley leads her boyfriend towards the Principal's office where he is already there waiting for the pair.

''Miss Matthews, Mr Friar, it's good to see you two back at John Adams High. Why don't we sit down and discuss where we go from here for the rest of the year?''

The pair place themselves in front of the Principal's desk, as Jack places several files in front of them. This may come as a conflict of interest as Lucas is technically his adoptive nephew. But in this moment, he is going to be overprotective regardless of the situation. 

''So, due to the circumstances that have occurred over the past few months, I have come up with plans that will be beneficial for your education. Now, in order to discuss these particular plans, I am going to need you to get out the medical files that the doctors have given you.''

Riley knows exactly what Jack is referring to whereas Lucas is clueless. Luckily for him, his girlfriend already has both her medical files and his in a portfolio-esc folder. 

''Thank you, Miss Matthews. Now, in accordance with school protocol, I am going to have the two of you for the first 4 weeks going into an individualised education plan. This is to observe what you already know and remember and what we may have to work on. Whilst this is going on I am also still going to give you a portion of your regular scheduled classwork so that you don't get too far behind when you return to the normal classroom routine. Now this will be taking place in the library with specialised teachers that have been assigned to your situation, if you can Riley could you please direct Lucas to the library? ''

He hands Riley and Lucas their lanyard ID's as they take their backpacks and Riley leads Lucas towards the library. 

''Of course, Sir''

As the pair enter the hallways again, all eyes are on them. Riley reacts like a deer in the headlights to the current debacle at hand.

''It's gonna be okay, Ri. Just ignore all of them, none of what any of them think really does matter in the long run''

Her grip tightens around his arm and he leads her towards the library. The entire stroll to the library is a blur to Riley. Her subconscious is almost protecting her from the reactions from those around her.

Majority of the day goes by where there is nothing but silence between the pair. This is mostly due to them getting reintroduced to their teachers and getting their schedules. It isn't until lunchtime when the pair finally speak to one and other, although, this is when their friend group is also present.

''How're you feeling, Luke? I haven't really got to ask you even though we've been next to each other all day''

Most of their friends, particularly, Darby, Riley's best girl friend and Zay, Lucas's childhood best friend other than Riley, zone in on the conversation.

''I'm doing alright, I just want to get through this day without people staring at me more than they already have been. It's like nobody at this school has anything to pay attention to other than meaningless rumors.''

Riley grazes her fingers through Lucas's hair in an effort to calm him down, kissing his cheek for an extra measure of security. 

''I'm sure it's just meaningless gossip, don't worry about it though. These low lifes will find something else to focus their attention on by tomorrow morning. You guys just need to relax and stop caring so much about other people's opinions so much. Besides, we probably won't see these people in a few years anyways''

His pessimistic personality is nothing new to anyone. Seemingly obvious of why Riley has said what she just did. Riley, herself, is placing herself in a bubble where she's pretending that nobody else exists except her friend group. She just doesn't wanna deal with everyone right now.

''She's right, Luke. As long as you have us bugging you at your every move nothing is going to happen to you.''

Riley kisses his cheek, sitting as closely as possible to him. She's thankful for Josh's reassuring nature. Leaning into Lucas's ear to ensure that he is the only one that can hear her whisper.

"Do you wanna go back to the library? Cause I'm feeling a little overwhelmed being in here right now."

He nods his head, relieved that she feels the same way that he is. To begin with, he didn't want to worry her or become a burden. So he's feels like he is lucky to have someone right beside him who understands what he is going through.

12:34pm - John Adams High School Lunchroom

''Hey Riley...''

Her blood boils inside of her at the sound of a specific voice. Her fingers curling into a ball in preperation to throw a punch.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

His signature smirk is so smug that she can't help but want to slap that expression off of his face.

"Did you not learn from the hospital that you put me in or the restraining order that filed against you to stay away from me? I don't want to see you ever again''

She's doing everything in her power to not punch the boy standing in front of her in the face.

"Sweetheart, don't you think that you've been holding a grudge against me for too long now"

She rolls her eyes at him as he clearly tries to hit on her in front of the majority of their school and failing miserably.

"A grudge? Do you not think that our entire relationship is proof enough that I should be allowed to hold a grudge? But I'm not going to do that because you know what? I have higher values and morals than you do. So I'm going to leave this conversation before it turns into something I might regret"

She attempts to brush him off and calmly walk away from the conversation but her ex clearly has other intentions.

"Don't you think I should just be able to check up on the girl who is carrying my child?''

Everyone glances towards the brunette who is currently as pale as a ghost as if the life has been drained out of her.

"Riley, what is he talking about?''

At this point the entire lunchroom is staring at the group. Riley didn't want it to come out this way. She feels so burdened, so ashamed and so lost. Most of all, she doesn't want to place the burden of a newborn child on Lucas who is dealing with his own shit. She's never fully come to terms with this, even now or said it out loud.

She was raped...

And it was by none other than fucking Christopher James Emerson. Her rapist and the person she once trusted with her life, raped her. So now she's going to be having his child. How is she ever going to tell Shawn and Angela what happened? What're they going to think of her?

Her voice is as quiet as a mouse once she builds the courage to speak up

"I...I just can't do this right now"

Before anyone else can say anything, she whisks away quicker than lightning. Leaving a trail of her rapist behind. Although she's unaware of who she's about to face. 

"Riley!"

Damn, Lucas really is the persistant one isn't he? All of those faces, all of those glares, all of the judgement. The pair find themselves in the middle of the school courtyard.

School Courtyard - 12:49pm

"What Lucas?!"

He is nowhere near offended by her outburst considering what just went down in there with the person who he'd personally like to punch himself.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to yell at you like that. It's just what happened in there, I didn't want to tell you like this"

She's done everything she can up until this point to keep her secret. But as time has progressed, Riley has come to the realisation that she can't hide forever. 

"Riley, no matter what happened, I'm going to stick by you and this child. I don't care what it takes, I'm not letting you do this alone. C'mere"

She wraps her arms around Lucas securely as he sits down next her, resting their backs against a tree. Hiding her face in his chest to make herself feel as safe and as comfortable as possible. She just wants this day and everyone who isn't Lucas to disappear. 

"Why can't the world just be us? I just don't know how much more I can take before I break. Chris just doesn't seem to understand what he did and the consequences that come along with that. Which at this point means that I don't want what he did to me, to happen to this baby. So that is why I'm not going to allow him to weasel his way into our lives. I just feel sick about the whole situation, I just wanna go home."

Lucas escorts Riley into the hallway, only to be met with a sight that he isn't going to allow her to see. Twirling the brunette into his chest before she can catch a glimpse of the sickening notes etched onto her locker.

"Riley, I need you to trust me when I tell you not to turn around. I don't want you to see what I'm looking at right now for your own sake. I love you and I just want you to remember that."

Considering the considerable sized crowd gathered around the area near Riley's locker so naturally she is drawn to the event despite Lucas's protests.

"Lucas, I love you too but what the hell are talking ab-"

She wriggles free of Lucas's light hold, twirling around to feel as if the life has been sucked out of her in that very moment. It takes her several seconds for her body to physically react to what's currently occurring. 

Slut

Whore

Psycho

Bitch

These four words are largely imprinted in a diagonal formation onto her locker in black paint. Before she can speak up, Darby pushes her way to the front of the scene and all hell breaks loose in this moment.

"Who the fuck did this to my best friend?!"

Damn. Riley knows that her blonde best friend can be fiesty at times but she's never seen Darby been this threatening. But obviously Darby is quick to figure out who the suspect is and makes a bee line for him. Being the younger sister of 4 brothers who are either on the football or wrestling team can give you that reputation.

Next thing everyone knows, Christopher has Darby pinned against a locker, pressing her into a hold.

"You're a fucking asshole you know that? Why the fuck would you do this to Riley? She has done nothing to deserve this!"

Chris isn't one to back down without a fight, so there's no shock when he retailiates shoving the blonde to the floor and punching her relentlessly over her body. For Riley, this seems to go on for an eternity as there is a comotion around her as people are trying to get Chris off of Darby and others are rushing to get teachers. Riley herself is motionless throughout these events as her subconscious is disapproving of any physical reaction.

"Hey, hey, hey HEY! Get off of her! You four in my office now!"

Jack wants to do everything in his power to protect Riley from all of this suffering and hide her away from the world. Due to Cory's passing, he's felt a need to step up and make sure the brunette is thriving in life. He's always considers her to be his unofficial daughter, despite having children of his own.

 She suffers an out of body experience as she trudges along to the office, being tugged along by Darby and Lucas as her legs are physically inable to move. As all of them file into the office

"Now, first things first, Riley, Lucas, I have contacted the school therapist and she is coming to get the two of you as we speak"

Great, she has to talk to a random person about her mentally fucked up mind. Riley knows she should've done this sooner, but she was too fucked up to do this. She's looking at her surroundings, which, at this point, are clearly blurring as the moments pass by, confusing the brunette.

"Miss Matthews? Are you alright?"

She barely makes out a chuckle, as she tries to stand up as she becomes confused at the clenching feeling at her chest. Making out a few words as she struggles

"Um...sort of, I-, I-...I'm just s-s, sort o-o-of"

Everyones stares, everybody's words crawl into her mind. She wraps her arms around her stomach, to protect herself. Lucas knows he needs to help her. 

"I'll go get help"

Jack immediately rushes to get help as Riley crumbles to the floor.

"Riley...I need you to look at me, right at me"

 Lucas kneels down beside her, wrapping her small frame in his arms, kissing her forehead.

"Lucas, i-i-i-it hurts, it really hurts"

Her arms are wrapped securely around her knees which are pressed against her chest. Riley's heart pounds against her chest rapidly, the voices surrounding her are beginning to consume her whole inner being.

"It's gonna be alright, Princess. Come here..."

He picks up the brunette and gets her to wrap herself around him. Riley's arms clench around his neck with an intense grip but not enough to hurt him. The brunette knows that he's right in front of her but her subconscious doesn't seem to respond the same way.

"M-m-make it s-s-stop, just pleas-s-se make it stop-p-p...''

Lucas kisses Riley's forehead, repeatedly, whispering gentle reassurances as the pair of them sit wrapped in each others arms. Her cries tear Lucas's heart into shreds but at least he's aware that she's safe.

''Riley can you tell me what's going on inside of your head?''

He knows talking through her pain will distract her from the chaos that is currently occurring around them.

''I can't do it anymore, I can't pretend that I'm so put together and know that everything's gonna be okay. My baby brother isn't even allowed to talk to me in person without supervision, my Mom and Dad are dead, my brothers and I don't have great relationships with each other, my ex-boyfriend is stalking me and to top it all off, he raped me and now I'm pregnant with his baby.''

He holds her close, trailing his fingers through her hair delicately. Her breathing becomes unstable in this moment as she begins to hyperventilate at an alarming rate.

''Riley, it's gonna be okay, I promise. He's not going to hurt you again if I have anything to say about it. You're too important to me to ever let anything happen to you.''

Kissing the side of her head as she tries to get her breathing back to a regular pace. He holds her tightly, resting her face into the crook of his neck. This seems to take a few minutes and when she finally faces him once again.

''I love you, Luke''

Her whisper of a voice slithers out only several words to comprehend a sentence. He takes her up off the floor and stablizes her balance once again.

''I love you too, Princess''

The young couple turns around to be met with a social worker and police officer who want to speak with them.

''Honey, I just want to speak with you about a few concerning situations that we've been alerted of''

Lucas doesn't even need to speak as he takes a grasp of Riley's hand she knows exactly what he means.

''Let's do this''

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.9K 2.2K 26
Scott Hoying was shy and never spoke unless he was asked a question. But once he meets the new kid everything changes.
1K 136 59
Thinking I was adopted; Finding out I was stolen.
140 3 5
Amy Hunter moves in with the son of her Dad's best friend who she hasn't seen in 5 years. Now they are both 21 and single, will they still love like...
7.2K 145 30
Layla and Avas parents didn't want them and could barley take care of them so they give you to a adoption center and you get adopted by nick Mara