The life of Eve De La Cruz

By Lilith_Deckerstar

Eve is the daughter of a third-generation American and the youngest Crawley daughter, but when they died she... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Seven

387 11 3
By Lilith_Deckerstar

July 1914

In front of Downton Abbey, the family gets out of the motorcar. They have just returned from London for Sybil's presentation to the King and Queen and her first season.

"Hello, William. It's good to have you back," Cora greeted.

Eve smiled while she walked, with Hera following her, toward William, "I'm sorry about your mother, William. At least you were able to say goodbye."

"Thank you, Miss."

Eve could hear the sadness in his voice. She knew the pain that William was feeling. Eve continues walking into Downton Abbey before standing in the grand hall with her family.

"What a relief to be home," Robert announced.

"Don't listen when His Lordship pretends not to enjoy the Season," Cora voiced.

"When in Rome," Robert responded.

"Will Lady Mary be back soon?" Mrs. Huges asked.

"She's staying on with my sister for a couple of weeks," He informed.

"So Grantham House is closed?" She asked.

"It will be by the end of this week," Cora informed, "Dear Mrs. Hughes, I hope you've had some time to yourself while we've been away."

"I've tackled a few jobs that get forgotten about when the house is full."

"Any local news?" Robert asked.

"The main topic here is the murder of the Austrian Archduke," Mrs. Hughes answered.

"Here and everywhere else," Mr. Carson added.

"I'm afraid we haven't heard the last of that," Robert responded before asking, "And how's William?"

"Bearing up," Mr. Carson informed.

"Poor chap. He has our sympathies. I think I'll wash the train off before dinner."

"Very good, Milord. I can unpack while you're bathing," Mr. Bates said.

"I'll see you up there," Robert responded.

The family and staff depart, leaving only Cora and Mrs. Hughes.

"Oh, Mrs. Hughes, have you had any thoughts about the garden party for the hospital?" Cora asked.

"I've started on it, but there are things we need to talk about," Mrs. Hughes replied.

"Oh, dear. That sounds like trouble. I'll take my hat off. Sybil?" Sybil, Eve, Hera, and Edith stop before they go up the stairs for Cora, "You were a great success in London, darling. Well done," She praised.

Sybil smiles and goes up the stairs.

Edith looks at her mother and says, "You never say that to me?"

"Don't I?" Cora takes Edith's hand and leads her daughter up the steps, "You were very helpful, dear. Thank you."

"You were very helpful in London," Eve comforted as she and Hera walked up the stairs.

Once in her room, Eve got ready for her shift at the hospital. On her way down the stairs, she saw Dr. Clarkson in the grand hall. The two said hello to each other before going their separate ways.

While Eve was at the hospital, she read a few chapters of a book to the children before going to the post-op room, where the patients were reading newspapers and talking about the murdered Austrian Archduke. Dr. Clarkson soon came into the post-op room and checked on his patients.

"Welcome back, Dr. Clarkson," Eve greeted.

"Thank you, Nurse De La Cruz," He responded.

"I know this is none of my business, but why were you at Downton?" She asked.

"It's perfectly fine, Nurse De La Cruz. I've already informed Lord Grantham about Lady Grantham's condition."

"Is something wrong with my Aunt?"

"Nothing too serious, but she is going to have a baby," Dr. Clarkson informed her.

"She's pregnant? That is fantastic news," Eve smiled, "I suppose my uncle had a shock."

"Lord Grantham was indeed surprised, I did explain to him, but I was not able to get into much medical detail," He said.

"My uncle was never one for medical talk," Eve said.

When Eve returned home, she went down to the kitchen with Hera to get her something to eat, but when she got there, Eve could sense something was wrong.

"Is that everything?" William asked Daisy.

"Yeah," She replied, "How are you feeling?"

"Well, most people's parents die before them, and so..."

Thomas came into the kitchen and interrupted William, "Oh, give it a rest. Your mother knew how to drag it out, I'll say that for her."

"What?" William questions.

"Thomas! Get up to the servery," Mrs. Hughes ordered.

Mrs. Patmore drops a pot and shrieks, holding her hand in pain, "You gave me the wrong cloth!" She shouts at Daisy.

Eve rushes in and examines Mrs. Patmore's hand, "It appears to be just a superficial burn. No major damage," Eve quickly gets a cloth and wets it before gently patting Mrs. Patmore's hand.

"Sit down, Mrs. Patmore," Mrs. Hughes told her.

"I can't sit down, I've got the luncheon to finish!" Mrs. Patmore argued.

"It was not a suggestion. Sit!" Mrs. Patmore complies and sits down, and Mrs. Hughes tells her," Daisy and I will finish the luncheon."

Eve quickly took care of Mrs. Patmore's injuries and told her she would make a salve for her burns.

In the drawing, the women sat around discussing Mary's time in London.

"So, what did we miss?" Sybil asked.

"Nothing much. Although you'd have had more invitations than I did," Mary responded.

"Have you thought about Matthew?" Violet asked her.

"Of course, but Aunt Rosamund..." Mary began.

"No!" Violet interrupted, putting her hand up, "She's written to me. I should pay no attention."

"But Granny, she has got a point. Mary can't be completely naïve," Edith argued.

"I don't need your help, thank you," Mary told her.

"Mary, listen to me. If you take Matthew now when his whole future is at risk, he will love you to the end of his days," Violet informed.

"Why, Granny, you're a romantic," Sybil said.

"I've been called many things, but never that," Violet responded.

"And what happens if the baby is a boy and Matthew loses everything?" Edith asked.

"Mary can always change her mind," Violet replied.

"But I can't do that to Matthew. It's not how we are together," Mary argued," Eve, what do you think?"

"A person's status should not be the reason you love someone. My father was a man whose family had barely anything when they came to America and lived in St. Mary's church all his life, but my mother didn't care whether he was a peasant or king. She loved him for he was. But knowing how circumstances are different, I would say yes. But this is you, not me, Mary," Eve told her cousin.

Mary nodded at Eve's words, "Now, I'm going upstairs to help Anna unpack."

"I'll come with you," Sybil stood up.

"Me too. Come along, Hera."

Eve stood up and followed Sybil and Mary out of the drawing room with Hera at her side to Mary's room.

Anna and Eve were helping Mrs. Patmore up to the library from the kitchen to speak with Eve's Uncle. When they reached the library doors, Carson entered to announce Mrs. Patmore to Robert.

"Mrs. Patmore, my lord."

Mrs. Patmore, Eve, and Anna enter the library, and Robert rises from his desk.

"Your Lordship, I know things haven't been quite right for a while, but I can assure you--" Mrs. Patmore spoke.

Robert smiles and says, "Come in, Mrs. Patmore."

Mrs. Patmore steps closer with Eve and Anna behind, "I promise you, Milord, if I could just be allowed a bit more time--"

"Mrs. Patmore, I've not asked you here to give you your notice," He informs her.

"Haven't you?" She asked, confused.

"No," Robert replies, "I understand you've had some trouble with your sight."

"That's just it! I know I could manage better if only--" Mrs. Patmore tried to explain.

"Please, Mrs. Patmore..." Robert interrupted.

"Let him speak," Anna told Mrs. Patmore before apologizing, "Beg pardon, Milord."

"Don't apologize. Now, on Dr. Clarkson's recommendation, I'm sending you up to London to see an eye specialist at Moorfields. Anna will go with you, and you'll stay with my sister Rosamund in her new house in Belgrave Square," He informed Mrs. Patmore.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to sit in your presence, Milord," She said.

"Of course."

Eve and Anna help a weak-kneed Mrs. Patmore stumble into a chair.

"B--but how will you get on here?" She asked.

Robert sits in the chair next to Mrs. Patmore, "Well, Mrs. Crawley is lending us her cook, Mrs. Bird. She's coming over tomorrow. You'll be good enough to show her how things work."

"A--are the Crawleys to starve while I'm away?" Mrs. Patmore asked.

"They'll eat here every evening. Now, my sister's butler will look after you. He's very nice," He replied before asking, "Anna, you won't mind a visit to London?"

"No, Milord. Thank you. It'll be an adventure," Anna responded.

"One with a happy ending, I hope," Robert said before standing, and Mrs. Patmore stood up quickly. Anna and Eve help her and walks out of the library and back to the kitchen.

Sybil, Edith, and Eve were talking in the grand hall when they heard Sir Anthony Strallen, and Edith rushed toward his voice in the outer hall after hearing it.

"Good afternoon, Carson. Is Lady Edith in?" Sir Anthony asked.

"I am!" Edith answered as she entered the outer hall, "I most certainly am."

"I was just driving past..." He trailed off.

"Yes?

"And I thought you might like to come for a spin. If you're not too busy,"

"Wait till I get my coat," Edith then rushed off.

Sybil and Eve stood at the archway momentarily before entering the outer hall.

"Is it all right if I make some notes?" The man questioned.

Sybil turned to him, "I'm so sorry, Mr...?"

"This is Mr. Bromidge, my ladies. He's here about the telephone," Mr. Carson explained.

"Oh! Please make your notes, dear Mr. Bromidge. We're so looking forward to it. What an exciting business to be in," Sybil responded.

"Just imagine being able to help expand communication," Eve exclaimed.

"You must be expanding every day," Sir Anthony conversed.

"Ah, we are, sir. But, er, that brings its problems. Training up men for the work when many have no aptitude. Ha, I can't even find a secretary who can keep pace at the moment," Mr. Bromidge informed.

"What?" Sybil asked.

"It's hard with a new concept. Too old, they can't change. Too young, and they've no experience," Mr. Bromidge answered.

"But have you filled the post yet?" Eve asked, "Because we know just the woman."

"Well, she must hurry up. We'll, er, close the list tomorrow night," He told them.

"You'll have her application, I promise," Sybil said before she and Eve rushed to find Gween and tell her the good news.

Eve and Hera were walking up the stairs but stopped when Eve heard Mary asking someone about Kemal.

"Is it true you wrote to the Turkish ambassador about Kemal?"

"Who told you?" She heard Edith ask.

"Someone who knows that you did," Mary told Edith.

"Then why are you asking?" Edith asked her.

"Because I wanted to give you one last chance to deny it," She responded.

"And what if I did? He had a right to know how his countryman died. In the arms of a slut," Edith to Mary in a vile tone and walked down the stairs before stopping in front of Eve and Hera, "Eve, is there something you need?"

"Yes, actually there is," Eve grabs Edith's arm before dragging Edith into the library. Mary shuts the door behind them when they enter.

"Eve, what is the matter of this?" Edith demanded.

"What is the matter is you telling lies about Mary to the Turkish ambassador about Mr. Pamuk's death," Eve told her.

"What on earth are you talking about, Eve?"

"Don't play stupid, Edith. I heard you and Mary talking moments ago," Eve said with annoyance toward Edith.

"So what if I did," Edith admitted.

"Because you ever thought about how this will not only affect Mary, but everyone else as well? Of course, you didn't you only saw an opportunity to get back at Mary and had no thought of the consequences for everyone else. I will pray to God for you to be forgiven," Eve told her cousin before leaving the libaray with Hera.

Edith remained in a state of shock because she had witnessed a rare sighting of her cousin's anger.

In the drawing room, everyone sat down and talked among themselves.

"How's that advertisement getting on for the new maid?" Violet asked Cora.

"Well, it's only just come out," She responded.

"William and I can manage here now. Go and tell Mrs. Bird we'll have our dinner in twenty minutes," Mr. Carson told Thomas.

"Carson, be sure to say to Mrs. Bird the dinner was really delicious," Cora told Mr. Carson, who nodded proudly. Cora moves to sit across from Edith, "So, how was the drive?"

Edith smiles at her mother's question and replies, "It was lovely. Only..."

"Yes?"

"Well, he said he had a question for me. He told me he'd ask it at the garden party, and he hopes I'll say yes," Edith told Cora.

"You must think very carefully what your answer will be," Cora smiled as she informed her daughter.

"Yes, I should think very carefully about a lot of things," Mary said, causing Edith's smile to fade. Matthew watches Mary as she stands up and moves.

"Do your neighbors have one?" Isobel asked Robert.

"Yes, they do, in London anyway," He replied.

"It seems very wise to get a telephone now. If there is a war, it may be very hard to have one installed in a private house," Matthew said.

"Well, let me show you where we're going to put it," Robert told Matthew before they left.

"First electricity, now telephones. Sometimes I feel as if I were living in a--an H.G. Wells novel. But the young are all so calm about change, aren't they?" Violet asked, noticing that Isobel still refused to look at her, "Look at Matthew. I do admire him."

"Do you?" Isobel questioned her.

"What have I done wrong now?" She asked.

"Oh, please," Isobel scoffed, "Don't pretend Mary's sudden reluctance can't be traced back to you."

"Well, I shall pretend it. I told her to take him. Your quarrel is with my daughter Rosamund, not me," Violet told her, causing Isobel to finally look at her, "So, put that in your pipe and smoke it."

The next day, Eve and Sybil walked to the grand hall after Mr. Carson had told them that Mr. Bromidge had arrived.

"Carson said you were here," Sybil spoke when she and Eve entered the grand hall.

"Ah, just, er, checking that everything's being done right, Milady," He replied.

"Only we never heard back. That is, Miss Dawson never heard back from you. About an interview," She elaborated.

"Ah, yes, er, we--we got the young lady's letter. But the trouble is, she didn't have any experience of hard work that I could tell, so...," Mr. Bromidge informed.

"But she's a very hard worker!" Eve protested.

"Oh, I couldn't find any proof of it. And she gave you as a reference when, er, you don't run a business, Milady. Well, not that I'm aware of," He told them.

Sybil turns to a housemaid passing through the hall, "Lily! Can you find Gwen and tell her to come to the hall. Now."

"Yes, Milady," Lily answered before leaving to find Gwen.

Sybil turns back to Bromidge and explains, "The reason Gwen didn't give any more details is because she works here. As a housemaid."

"Ah, and you thought that'd put me off?" Mr. Bromidge asked.

"But she's taken a postal course and has good speeds in typing and Pittman shorthand," Sybil replied.

"Test her," Eve finished.

"I will if I like the look of her," He said. A moment later, Gwen rushes in, "Ah, so, young lady, you thought I'd turn up my nose at a housemaid."

"I did, sir," Gwen replied.

"Well, my mother was a housemaid. I've got nothing against housemaids. They know about hard work and long hours, that's for sure," He told Gwen.

"Well, I believe so, sir," She responded.

"Right, well, is there somewhere we could talk?" Mr. Bromidge asked.

"Gwen, take Mr. Bromidge to the library. Eve and I will see that no one disturbs you," Sybil told her.

"Okay," Gwen said before she and Mr. Bromidge enter the next room. Eve and Sybil stand guard in the outer hall as Robert approaches.

"Sorry, Papa, you can't go in there," Sybil told him.

"Why on earth not?" Robert asked.

"Gwen's in there with Mr. Bromidge. She's being interviewed, Uncle Robert," Eve answered.

"I cannot use my library because one of the housemaids is in there applying for another job?" He asked.

"That's about the size of it," Sybil replied.

Robert sighs and walks away. Sybil and Eve look at the library door excitedly.

A little later that day, Eve returns to Downton Abbey with Mrs. Patmore and Anna from the train station after she and Tom had picked them up when they returned from London for Mrs. Patmore's eye surgery. The three were now in the Kitchen speaking with Mrs. Hughes.

"How long will you wear them?" Mrs. Hughes asked Mrs. Patmore about the sunglasses she was wearing.

"A week or so. But I can see much better already, even with them on," Mrs. Patmore replied.

"Thank heaven," Mrs. Hughes sighed, "Now, we need to talk about the garden party. Mrs. Bird and I have made some lists..."

Mrs. Patmore scoffs, causing her to interrupt Mrs. Hughes, "Mrs. Bird? Oh, I think we can manage without any help from Mrs. Bird."

"Can you?" Mrs. Bird questioned, "Well, if you want your garden party to be run by a Blind Pugh, that's your business."

"Mrs. Patmore, there's a lot to be done, and you're only just up on your feet. We really cannot manage without Mrs. Bird," Mrs. Hughes explained.

"I agree, Mrs. Hughes," Eve said before turning to Mrs. Patmore, "If you are going to work, Mrs. Patmore, you would not be able to do it alone because your eyes still need time to recover."

"If you say so," Mrs. Patmore responded.

"Now, I've been checking the stores, and I've ordered what you'll need for the baking," Mrs. Hughes informed Mrs. Patmore and Mrs. Bird.

"That's very kind, Mrs. Hughes. But, er, I believe we should check the stores when it's convenient," Mrs. Bird said.

"Mrs. Bird, at Downton Abbey, the housekeeper manages the store cupboard, but I think you'll find..." Mrs. Hughes began.

"I've never not run my own store cupboard in my life. Separate the cook for the store cupboard? Where's the sense in that?" She questioned.

"How long have I been saying this, O' Lord?" Mrs. Patmore said, agreeing with Mrs. Bird.

"We're the ones who cook it. We should be the ones to order it," Mrs. Bird argued.

"Mrs. Bird, I shall be very happy with your help with the garden party. I'm sure we can manage it easily between the two of us."

Mrs. Hughes is disconcerted and fidgets before she leaves.

When Eve walks up the grand stairs, she hears Miss O'Brien crying for help from her Aunt Cora's dressing room. Eve ran to the room and saw Miss O'Brien cradling her aunt, covered by a towel while crying and clutching her abdomen in pain.

"What happened?" Eve asked as she rushed to her aunt's aide.

"I-I'm not sure, Milady," Miss O'Brien replied, "I went to get her Ladyship's clothes sorted when I heard her shout. I rushed back in and found her on the floor."

"Miss O'Brien, I need you to get Dr. Clarkson. Use the telephone and tell him to hurry, now," Eve ordered. Miss O'Brien rushed to call Dr. Clarkson while Eve remained by her aunt's side, "Aunt Cora, I need you to tell me where it hurts the most."

"My stomach and my back hurt," Cora responded, grunting.

"I know it hurts, Aunt Cora, but don't worry. Dr. Clarkson will be here soon, and everything will be well," Eve promised her Aunt.

A while later, Miss O'Brien returned to the room with Dr. Clarkson. Cora was carried carefully to her bed with the help of Miss O'Brien and Eve after Dr. Clarkson had completed his examination of her and had concluded that she had suffered a miscarriage, and the only thing they could do was make her comfortable.

It was now the day of the garden party. Eve was beside her Aunt, who was lounging under the shade of the tent, taking care of her. Sybil and Branson rush toward the tent.

"Mama, could I borrow Eve for a minute? It is something absolutely important?" Sybil asked.

"Of course, dear," Cora answered, "Eve needs to enjoy the garden party instead of spending it under this tent with me.

Sybil grabs Eve's arm and rushes off, and Branson follows her. Sybil, Eve, and Branson run to Gwen, who's carrying a tray.

"Bromidge has rung! You've done it, Gwen! You got the job!" Sybil informed her.

Gwen gasps excitedly and shoves her tray at another maid, "Take it! Take it!"

The maid takes the tray, and Gwen has a giggling group hug with Sybil, Eve, and Branson. Mrs. Hughes approaches scornfully.

"Something to celebrate?" Mrs. Hughes asked

The group hug breaks up to face Mrs. Hughes. Branson takes Sybil's hand.

"I got the job, Mrs. Hughes!" Gwen informed her, "I'm a secretary! I've begun!"

"I'm very happy for you, Gwen. And we'll celebrate after we've finished today's work," She replied.

"Of course, Mrs. Hughes," Gwen said and returned to work. Sybil realizes she's holding Branson's hand, and he turns to her.

"I don't suppose that..." Branson began.

"Lady Sybil, Miss Eve, Her Ladyship was asking after you two," Mrs. Hughes informed. Sybil and Eve leave.

A while later, Eve sat beside her aunt when Miss O'Brien approached with a blanket folded over her arms.

"I wish you'd come inside, Milady," Miss O'Brien said.

"I agree, Aunt Cora. You should be in your bed resting," Eve pleaded.

"No. People mustn't think I'm really ill. I don't want to cast a dampener on the party," She told them.

"Very well. But are you sure you have everything you need, Milady?" Miss O'Brien asked as she placed a blanket over Cora's legs.

"Dear O'Brien," Cora takes Miss O'Brien's hands," How sweet you are."

Miss O'Brien nods before she leaves. A short while later, Robert enters the tent and sits with Cora, holding her hand.

"Are you warm enough?" He asked.

Cora smiled as she replied, "I am when you're holding my hand."

Mr. Carson enters with a post tray, "Your Lordship? This has just arrived for you."

"Thank you," Robert stands as he takes it.

"Oh, and I'm happy to tell you that Thomas has just handed in his notice. So we'll be spared any unpleasantness on that score," Mr. Carson informed him.

"What a relief," Robert sighed before he placed the letter opener back on the tray, and Mr. Carson left. Robert's expression changes to foreboding surprise as he reads the letter. He exits the tent and pulls off his hat to wave everyone's attention.

"Please, will you stop, please!" The string quartet stops playing, "My lords, ladies, and gentlemen. Can I ask for silence?" All conversations cease. The staff steps out of the catering tent to listen, "Because I very much regret to announce...that we are at war with Germany."

Everyone stands in shock as a sense of dread washes over them, and only God knows what their future will be. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.1K 264 13
World War One has now occured and Lady Emma Crawley must either sink or swim in this troubled, dark times. Since the Garden Party in 1914, Emma must...
766 25 6
Season 5 Downton Abbey Emma (3rd daughter of Robert and Cora Crawley) returns back to Downton after hiding in New York, following a scandal that coul...
6.7K 137 11
Emma and James are happily married and expecting their life to change in 1920. Emma expects her life to be blissful with the news of a baby on the wa...