Snap Happy (A Daniel Ricciard...

By Twentysomething

When failed photographer and failed girlfriend Emily Taylor goes to Monaco to get over a broken heart she doe... More

(Introduction) Sleepless In Monaco
2: Opening Moves
3: Staying Focused
4. Holding on and letting go
5. Decent Exposure
6. Down To Business
7. We'll Meet Again?
8. Friends Will Be Friends
9. Surprise!
10. Uphill or Downhill?
11. Past and Presents
12. A Load of (Red) Bull
13. A matter of time
14. The Tension and the Spark
15. Makeup
16. Homeward Bound
17. Ein großes verdammtes Durcheinander
18. Brief Encounters
20. Scream If You Wanna Go Faster
21. Meet The Parents (Again)
22. Mission Impossible
23. Caught
24. Up In The Air
25. Downfall
26. Withdrawal Symptoms
27. Worlds Apart
28. One Of Us
29. Perspective
30. United
31. "You're My Favourite Deputy"
32. Four Letter Word
33. The Call
34. Judgement Day
35. GRAND Finale
36. Parents, Pools, and (near) Public Nudity
37. New Year, New Beginnings
38. Some Say...
39. Many Happy Returns
The Perfect Plan (Bonus Chapter)
**Announcement - New Story!**
Christmas Special
Snap Happy - an explanation
Still Here

19. Unless I'm Very Much Mistaken...

4.6K 70 9
By Twentysomething

EMILY

It probably would have made more sense to go straight from Germany to Hungary considering the races were only days apart, but thinking about what had just happened (and my lack of clean clothes) it was probably a good job that I'd decided to return home for a couple of days in between.

Standing in the airport terminal realising my phone was out of battery and my parents were out of town I was starting to reconsider. From the one remaining payphone in the place I called the only other number I could still remember off by heart.

"Jamie...it's me" he didn't need to ask who 'me' was. "I need help"

A couple of hours later I was outside the terminal as the Subaru drew up in front of me. I felt myself tense up as he pulled me in for a hug, before relenting and relaxing into the embrace, our bodies recognising the feel of each other like tired feet and favourite slippers. There was a reassuring familiarity about hugging Jamie which transcended even the last few months of separation. He was safe, comfortable, and I knew every inch of his body almost as well as I did my own.

"Your place or mine?"

I searched his eyes for any signs that he was joking, not wanting to admit how tempting it was to say 'yours, and screw the consequences' - just by making me feel wanted he suddenly seemed more attractive than ever . Instead I said nothing and followed my luggage into the car.

"How's Daniel?" he asked as we drove, so quietly that I almost missed it.

"He's fine I think"

"You think?" Damn! I should have known he wouldn't let that one go.

"Yeah - haven't really spoken to him in a couple of weeks"

"Oh...I thought maybe there was something...?"

"There isn't. I made a fool out of myself"

"I'm sorry" his hand strayed onto my thigh as I stared out of the window "have you eaten today? I'll make you some dinner" he added as I shook my head.

It was his place.

***

Sensing the sunlight on my closed eyelids I nestled back into soft warm skin. I didn't know you could feel temperature in dreams.

"Morning"

I opened my eyes.

'Y'know" he began, smoothing my hair out across the pillow "when the season is over and you've got this F1 thing out of your system you could always come back, get a normal job and we could start again..."

"Get it out of my system?"

I spun round and stared at him in shock as the words sunk in to my sleep-addled brain, "This isn't a phase J - it's my job now, my life....and I'm HAPPY" I stopped suddenly, realising for the first time exactly how true this was. Despite the situation with Daniel, I finally knew what it was to wake up in the morning and look forward to the day ahead, and the next. "I don't have to simply survive each day any more - I'm actually enjoying living them, and I'm not going back to a shop counter for anyone, not now I've tasted this, not even for you"

I paused for breath and looked guiltily up at the ceiling, counting the swirls to try and calm myself down. I had been taken by surprise by a rare moment of extreme clarity but at least now I knew for sure exactly what I wanted, and what I didn't want.

"Maybe it was you I needed to get out of my system" I told him quietly. "Thanks for coming to get me, and...I'm sorry, I really am...I can get myself home from here"

I dressed, picked up my things and didn't look back. This time I knew it was final...again...but without the original heartache and tears - this time I was leaving with a guilty conscience, but a clear head.

Well ALMOST a clear head.

The ghost of a previous kiss still lingered on my lips and remained permanently imprinted on my mind. But if he wanted...HER...he was welcome to her, and her to him.

I looked down at my phone, which had spent the night recharging it's battery. Unlike you I thought with a pang of regret.

One text from Jules:

'Let me know when you land and we'll go into Budapest one eve. x'

And one missed call. From Daniel.

***

Budapest was breathtaking. Combining history, beauty, and incredible architecture in one place it immediately jumped right onto the list of my favourite cities. Raising my camera to my eyes once more I attempted to capture the play of lights across the river in one still image. Water had always been a weakness of mine...just behind Australians.

"Are you SURE you've got room in your schedule to show me around?" I asked Jules for the fifth time that evening.

"Jenson's a big boy now - he can look after himself for a couple of hours" she grinned "plus you and I had to eat sometime and I think Jens and Jessica had a romantic evening planned."

"I guess so" I smiled back at her before looking down at the camera screen to scrutinise my pictures.

"Talking of which..." I looked back up in time to catch the twinkle in her eye "Jenson says you and Dan need to hurry up and get your act together."

Exactly how many people know about this??

"He doesn't want want me Jules!" I blurted out " I went round to his hotel after Hockenheim and they said he'd gone out with some blonde woman and..."

"You mean Rachel?"

"Who??"

"Let me ask you a question - if someone told you that they'd seen Jenson out with a blonde woman who would you assume it was?"

"Well...you of course!" she raised an eyebrow "Oh SHIT!" I buried my head in my hands. "Please don't tell me I've made a HUGE mistake."

"Well I wasn't at the hotel but considering Jenson and I saw Daniel turn up to an event the same night with his blonde PA in tow I'd say that's quite possible"

"Why is every PA in this paddock an attractive blonde?" I groaned out loud "if they were all flatulent old men I wouldn't be in this mess"

"Let me guess when you heard 'blonde' you thought 'Tara'?"

Jesus fecking Christ just how notorious IS this woman?

"Yeah, something like that" I hung my head in shame.

"Jenson told me"

"Jenson doesn't know the half of it! God Jules what the hell do I do now?"

"I think there's only one thing you can do - go get your man before it's too late"

It's probably already too late. I realised in despair. What ever Daniel had (or in fact HADN'T) done, I had done much MUCH worse.

DAN

The rain in Spain might fall mainly on the plain, but the rain in Hungary falls mainly on the track it would seem.

From the second row I stared at the back of Sebastian's car knowing that with difficult weather conditions and a Mercedes starting from the pit lane that a podium was very much there for the taking.

Two safety cars and a number of pit stops later the grid had been turned upside-down and chaos had ensued.

"Where am I? Who's ahead of me"

"Daniel you are P1... P1. Hamilton and Alonso have just pitted" Simon's voice was calm over the radio but I could detect a hint of tension and nervous excitement beneath it.

Game on!

Emerging from the pits for the final time Simon had a further message for me.

"Go get 'em!"

So I did.

On fresher tyres I was soon up behind Lewis Hamilton's struggling Mercedes. How the hell he had got in front of me having started from the back I had no idea, but now was not the time to worry about that as I picked my moment and sailed around the outside of him into the second corner.

"You again" I whispered with glee as I closed up to Fernando, the smile on my face threatening to spill out through my visor. "Not this time mate" I cheered, diving down the inside. I knew I would have no voice left for the press conference but I didn't care as I shrieked and screamed my way across the finish line. Christian was saying something profound in my earpiece but I couldn't hear him. This moment was mine.

As I jumped out of the car I could hear the cheers even before I took my helmet off. I ran for the navy blue colours and threw myself into the middle, soaking up the congratulations, the hugs, and the handshakes. Working my way along the line I was determined to share this victory with every single person that I could reach until I was staring into a pair of dazzling green eyes that were glimmering suspiciously brightly.

"How did you get in here?" I asked, bewildered

"Bribed one of your team members" she admitted sheepishly

"So does this mean...?"

"Later" she whispered "text me when all the interviews and debriefs are over"

'Go get em' I remembered with a wry smile. Perhaps the universe was trying to tell me something.

***

*Knock Knock*

Right on time. I realised, hearing the tentative tap on the door to my hotel room. Maybe this wasn't the place to meet, maybe neutral territory might have been better, but where do you find neutral PRIVATE territory this close to a Grand Prix circuit on race day?

I suddenly realised I was nervous.

I opened the door and watched her take a deep, terrified breath before she threw herself into my arms and buried her face in my shirt. Tilting her chin up I met her eyes enquiringly before pressing my lips to hers, kissing her with a mixture of relief and pent-up desire as she responded in kind.

"I wasn't expecting that" I admitted breathlessly as I released her.

"Just trying to follow your philosophy" she said with a shy smile, as I looked at her in confusion. "What is it you said? - 'try not to have any regrets and don't wait forever to make your move' "

"Have you been stalking me??"

"Just a little market research...I'M KIDDING!" She added hurriedly "It's all over your Red Bull homepage"

"Oh yeah" It was my turn to look bashful.

"I came to tell you that I KNOW what I want Dan. I just hope I can convince you this time"

"You could always do that again...just to make sure"

"Haven't you got a party to get ready for?" She asked with a glance at her watch "seeing as you're the race winner and all"

"Are you coming with me?" I asked, my mind dwelling hopefully on the image of another short dress adorning endless legs.

"Uhhh...maybe I shouldn't...not after last time"

"I dunno, I rather enjoyed what happened last time" I nuzzled her neck playfully and she giggled.

"I've got my own hotel room to go to this time"

Yeah but there's no way you're bloody using it tonight. I vowed to myself.

Note: SURPRISE!!! So in honour of the legendary Murray Walker I should probably have called the last chapter 'Unless I'm very much mistaken..." and this one '..and I AM very much mistaken". I hope you liked this one. Soooooo not sorry for the drama muahahaha *looks smug*.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.3K 375 36
When Ellie Ricciardo returns to Amemile Valley life isn't exactly how she left it... Old friends and old feelings, are they ever a good mix?
79.4K 1.9K 31
Elisabeth Morgan - a 27-year old woman exploring the life abroad thanks to work opportunities. After seeing a man for two days during her morning wa...
3.9K 19 20
Elizabeth having the time of here life in the beautiful place called Monaco with her best friend Rose. But a wedding draw two people together, but it...
46.6K 822 18
ADELINE O'CONNOR has been devastated since the last time she fell in love. Fans, gossips and even in interviews, all hover on the same topic. She's t...