Clashing Blades (Levi X OC)

By Devilish_red

OC, named Ireen, is another childhood friend of Eren, just a year older (or so what they thought). Living in... More

『 C H A P T E R 1 : NIGHTMARE 』
『 C H A P T E R 2 : PROMISE 』
『 C H A P T E R 3 : BEGINNING 』
『 C H A P T E R 4 : TEST 』
『 C H A P T E R 5 : TRUST』
『 C H A P T E R 6 : MIRACLE 』
『C H A P T E R 7 : MEMORIES 』
『C H A P T E R 8 : ANSWER 』
『 C H A P T E R 9 : SACRIFICE 』
『 C H A P T E R 10 : REQUEST 』
『 C H A P T E R 11 : TRIAL 』
『 C H A P T E R 12 : TRYING 』
『 C H A P T E R 13 : WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE 』
『 C H A P T E R 15: POTATO 』
『 C H A P T E R 16 : BAD DAY 』
『 C H A P T E R 17 : IT WASN'T MY INTENTION 』
『 C H A P T E R 18 : ARMIN ARLET 』
『 C H A P T E R 19 : THEIR SECRETS 』
『 C H A P T E R 20 : HORSES 』
『 C H A P T E R 21 : 2 WEEKS BEFORE AN EXPEDITION 』
『 C H A P T E R 22 : A PROMISE』

『 C H A P T E R 14 : BETTING ON YOU 』

468 16 0
By Devilish_red

If I ask, 'are you worth of my trust?', what would be your answer? 

- - -

"Why did the tomato blush?"

"Why?"

"Because it saw the salad dressing!! Hahahaha get it? Huh? Huh??" Jean looked expectantly at his friends faces', eyes widened in excitement but the only thing he received was the silence stare from each.

Too quite to feel awkward.

"Oh come on guys! Don't you get it? Tomato blush?? Salad dressing??" Jean still trying, glancing at each faces and they reacted with; Connie cocking his head sideways, Sasha in deep thinking, Mikasa in an uninterested look, Armin with the look of guilt because he was not laughing though he got the joke, Bertholdt and Reiner that stayed silence and the rest that didn't bother to join.

"Seriously?" Jean let out an exasperation gasp, at the same time the cart hit a rock and he tumbling forward lightly before fixing his seating, cursing the road to be uneven.

The new recruits from the 104th Training Corps were currently on their way to the headquarters, a temporary one, which was an abandoned castle-looking headquarters in lieu to Zackley's order to make sure Eren's power was kept in control. Last night immediately after their enlistment into the regiment, they were told that transportation will be provided in the next morning to carry them and all of their stuff to their new place, and they were to get ready by then. As promised, at exactly 7.30 am right after their breakfast, four carts pulled by horses reached their previous dorms, bags and stuffs loaded into and off they went.

Ireen, Mikasa, Armin, Reiner, Bertholdt, Sasha, Connie, Jean and Ray were sharing a cart while the others hogging the other one, and the other two was used to carry all of their stuffs. Luckily, the cart was enough to carry them all along with their heavy bags, or the horses will suffer greatly from the overweight.

"That joke is so lame that if you laid out your jokes and flirts together I still won't choose either one." Ireen sassily spoke after minutes of silence with her hands crossing in front of her chest, giving a sleepy look.

"Hah? It isn't! You guys are just too dumb to get the joke!"

"If it was that then we should be laughing by now, but we didn't. Obviously you failed to deliver a good one."

The neigh of a horse was heard right after Ireen's word.

"See? Even the horse agreed with me." She playfully teased. Perfect timing, horse.

Jean's face looked like he's going to gnaw on someone. And Ireen mentally laughed.

"Jean, what is salad?" Connie turned, sound of rustling clothes was heard from the movement as he looked deeply into the boy, seeking for an answer. Jean's mouth was left opened as he side-eyed the shave-head boy, wanted to grunt when Sasha diverted his attention next with her question.

"Tomato never blush. Why you called it tomato blush then?"

Jean was beyond dumbfounded. And it only fueled his anger more when a snicker came from the red-haired, mocking him. Jean ignored the other two.

"Well I don't see you throwing any jokes or being flirtatious! I bet you can't even do one!" The spat that he threw to Ireen made the woman cocked an eyebrow in interest.

"Ohh, you want me to show you now?" She asked.

"Why not. I bet yours even lame than mine," Jean confidently challenged her and smirked.

"Jean, what is salad? You haven't answer me.."

"Jean, does tomato blush? How you know it blush? Tell us?"

Ireen tuned out Jean's snap on Connie and Sasha that continuously bothering him for an answer, as she brought a finger upon her lips. She did her usual thinking expression. Armin watched her from the end of the cart, waiting for Ireen's comeback when he felt Ray nudging his side.

"You have been staring at her face. What's wrong?" The ashen haired boy asked. He got an arm draped on the cart at the back of Armin's as he leaned in, whispering. Ray earned a slow mumbled of "nothing" by the blondie when Ireen's calm voice could be heard.

"It was just a metaphor, Sasha. And Connie, salad is a mix of vegetables like tomato, lettuce, spring onion and cucumber in a bowl and seasoned with oil, vinegar or other dressings like mayonnaise. We rarely eat those since it's not really the main energy source but still good for the overall health." Ireen kindly helped to explain.

"So you mean the grass we ate once in a while called salad?"

"If you want to think it that way. By the way Jean, now it's my turn to say some flirts. Watch and learn, newbie", Ireen smiled mockingly.

She laced her hair between her fingers and turned to face Reiner, who sat opposite to her separated by three people, smiling enticingly while batting eyelashes. "Reiner~", she sang song. "Do you want to see my abs?" She overly puckered her lips, then biting the lower lip ever so slightly with eyes begging 'please play along' hopping the big tough guy got the hint.

Reiner who was not ready or never expect to be called, eyeing her suspiciously, taking a small pause before answering "why not?", after turning left and right to seek for help but receiving none. The anticipating look gave by few of them made Reiner wondered if he was actually giving the right answer, or was it even safer to participate in Ireen's little trick.

Either way, he wasn't interested to get involved in Jean's challenge but at the same didn't want to disappoint Ireen by ignoring her.

The lips on Ireen's face pulled upward ever so slightly, ghosting a small smile as she exclaimed, "great!" and clapping her hands together. Then she stopped, pausing a bit to think before cocking her head a little.

"Wait what did I just said just now?" She put her index finger on her bottom lip and acted cutesy and all.

Reiner stared in wonder, - 'what game are you playing?' - cocking an eyebrow, and replied "do you want to see my abs?" as he repeated her question. He watched as Ireen blinked twice of her beautiful green orbs, leaning back against the cart with a palm propped against her cheek before smiling even wider. "Well if you're offering~" and then she winked.

Three seconds after, Ray was whistling and Connie said "nice one" and realization finally sunk in as Reiner smirked, letting out an airy chuckle. "You little trickster..." He mumbled, and Ireen laughed full-hearted before facing Jean again, smiling triumphantly.

But the two-toned hair boy was looking at her like she was growing a pair of horns.

"What? I don't get it." He cocked an eyebrow, earning a scoff from the female.

"Really Jean? Then I guess your brain haven't reached the level yet."

Irritated, Jean slammed a fist on his thigh. "Hah??!! What does that supposed to mean! The only thing you did was offering Reiner to see your abs but then forgetting about it and asked him what you had said and he replied with 'if you want to see---' oh shit..."

"Ohhh, seems like the gear in your brain finally functioning." Ireen smirked watching Jean's face contorted from anger, to confusion, to realization and hesitation and finally to dissatisfaction. The scoff that came out from his lips only fueled Ireen's ego as she she flipped her hair on her shoulder to the back and let out an airy chuckle.

"Told you I can do better than you."

"That was just a one time thing." Jean still debating regarding Ireen's skill in flirting. And the female nodded before turning away.

"Whatever you say...."

To be frank, even Ireen has no idea on how to flirt. That was indeed a one time thing thanks to her comrade that flirted with her months ago, which left her in confusion as well, but much more worse than Jean because she only get the meaning after approaching Armin to get him explained. She gave a big 'ooooooooo' after Armin's explanation - twice - and she was glad no one ever know this incident. She had made sure Armin isn't telling anyone. Ireen was somehow more appreciative with herself for she didn't approach Eren instead because she bet the boy will not understand too and both of them will only ended in a never ending loop of confusion, with a bit of random guesses threw here and there that make them think that doing maths is far easier than cracking head to read this flirting code.

Eren was far much more innocent than her - more like stupid - in this area. She won't depend on him in anything related to love feelings at all.

While Jean still mumbling dissatisfaction and had to be calmed down by Reiner but got fueled again by Connie's mocking statement, Ireen cracked a look at Armin and smiled when she saw his gaze, because she knew exactly what was the blondie thinking.

- - -

"Salute!"

A chorused of thumping boots on the dirty ground was heard as the answer.

30 minutes after their arrival to the headquarters, they found themselves stood in front of their very own first squad leader. They weren't really given enough time to prepare themselves, so some were still catching on their breathe. Order was issued immediately once they reached, leaving them to no choice but to simply toss their belongings in their own respective shared rooms before heading to the ground as per told.

"I am squad leader Ness. And this is my favorite horse, Shallot." Introduced a young male with a white ash bandana tied around his head, while his hand stroking the cheek of his horse. "She likes chewing on hair, so watch out if you don't want to go bald. Nice meeti-- Oii Shallot, cut it out! Oiii!!"

Shallot suddenly leaned in and chewed on his bandana, revealing half of his head, that currently bald at the middle top.

"Oiii you guys, don't just stand there. Help me... Oiii..." Squad leader Ness cried out for help, but the recruits stood there watching, ignoring his plea.

His cries enlighten the mood of the day.

Maybe it was a bit tad rude to ignore, but still, none bothered to intervene. Maybe because their minds were wondering around, feeling relax and so much at ease at a new place with the current smell of refreshing, cool air of the spring while watching the goofy attitude of their squad leader. It felt a bit better then getting stuck at their previous training quarters.

To the least, they could cut some slack from the rising tense due to the stress from joining a suicidal regiment. Especially when they are not standing alone in this mission.

They have friends, from the same training corps, that they were comfortable with to share their pain and fright.

"You recruits will be here and here, between the wagon escort squad and scout support squad." Ness pointed at the three locations on the board; the recruits, the wagon and the support squad. "You'll be moving with the spare horses and relaying communications. This location will prevent you recruits from direct encounter with the titans, since the forward squad and support squad will be handling it first, but in the case some titans slipped in their perimeter and found you, don't worry. We will have the veterans near each of you to help." He turned and gave an overall look to see some of the recruits jotting down the notes.

Ness put down the long stick that he used to point at the board, while another hand reached into the drawer of the table in front, pulling out a gun which was rather wide in size compared to a common one. "This is a flare gun," he began. "As for communication, we will be using this. Load in the cartridge into the gun, pull the trigger and shoot up to the sky." He swiftly demonstrated a way of loading in the cartridge and getting the gun ready, aiming the muzzle upwards while doing the explanation. A clean 10 seconds was all he took to get it done, proven how countless and usual he had did that before. Ireen bet her squad leader could still loading in the right flare to the gun without trembling despite having a titan right in front of him, seeing how casual he was being.

"There are three colors, red for encountering normal titans, green for changing into a new direction, and black for abnormal titans. Note that green flares can only be first used by the commander; the command squad and we will fire the green flares afterwards. So don't simply fire one out of your own judgement, got it? It will crack havoc." Ness sternly warned.

Ireen absentmindedly listened to the lesson while staring a hole into the formation board in front, if that was possible. No matter how much she deduced, she couldn't get to Eren's exact position. She thought that being a single-file behind the command squad would be the safest, but it was also the location where wagons would be, carrying their necessary supplies.

That won't be a good spot. If Eren goes berserk and lose control and accidentally destroyed the wagons, the injuries won't get a treatment, and lead to shortage in food, gas and maneuvering equipment. That will only spell doom on us.

Putting Eren in front of the command squad will never happen too since the frontal-forward squad supposed to be protecting the command squad from any oncoming titans. And the command squad should not be bothered by Eren's lose control that could thwart their attention and ruin the formation.

Then, the left and right, where the wagon escort squads are... Hmmm... Her eyes rolled to the said location on the board.

There's possibility for Eren to be there but it doesn't make sense. Further to the outside will lead to the relay squad and support escort squad. If this is just a test run then Eren's position won't be any near there. He was sure not needed to transform to fight titans unless really in dire situation.

Ireen tapped few times of the tip of her pen onto the book of hers. Armin noticed this behaviour, but didn't paid in mind after casting a single glance to her face.

Ireen was concentrating.

And if this test run is to see if Eren could control his power or not, then protection will be stronger around him. So he can come back in one piece and prove to those scumbags that he's worth to live.

.... 

Hold on... Protection...?  If this test run was to keep him protected and get back alive then.....

Ireen's eyes landed on a certain spot on the board. Her pen entwined between her thumb, index and middle finger as she brought the writing hand to her lips. She has been thinking, hard, just to figure out Eren's position. Her mind devoid from the explanation in front from Ness.

Guess she would need to borrow Armin's note after this.

- - -

At the end of the day, the recruits were drilled with complete new knowledge regarding the way of Survey Corps; like the long-distance formation devised by Commander Erwin, the motives of the existence of Survey Corps, the common and applicable tactics when approaching and get approached by titans, the different in number of squads available in the regiment and their purposes, the rank of each officers and many more. It was a lot of things stuffed into their brain that they were forced to take like a drug. No time to spare, no time to adjust. They just had to take it right here and right there, no matter what.

And at the end of the lessons, Ireen found that the way the Survey Corps view the titans to be totally different from the others. They were basically against the norms, pushing their lucks further and farther just to find the answers to all the whys that birthed ever since the beginning of the titan's reign. They were a bunch of weird group. A good one, however. But the group is only suitable for those with similar twisted mindset and intense loyalty to serve the mankind.

They were notorious for being willing to throw their lives simply by stepping foot outside the walls.

But don't get the corps entirely wrong. There will be no point of saving the humanity if all the soldiers throw away their lives by jumping into the titan's mouth like a maniac, and then die uselessly. Avoiding the titans as much as possible still be the common goal, as what the formation was all about, but there will be the time when an action in need, and satisfying their quests were their everything, even more than their lives. Questioning their willingness were futile, since there'll be no room for doubts when it comes to such suicidal mission.

Ireen and the rest headed outside as the sun started to set. Striding leisurely, just to be around the compartment ground since they were neither told to be back to their rooms nor being dismissed, Ireen's nose caught Eren's scent right away after passing the stable, making her turn to the back right before a familiar voice screamed from the distance.

"Eren!!" Ireen shouted first.

"Oii Mikasa, Armin, Ireen!" At the same time Eren ran towards them. Armin and Mikasa along with the other recruits turned upon hearing the familiar name and the familiar voice, excited after not seeing for so long.

"It feels like it's been forever!" Eren happily greeted them.

Mikasa moved her hands and grabbed Eren's. "Eren, did they do anything terrible to you? Like inspecting every bit of your body or causing you mental anguish?" She bombarded him with questions.

"No, nothing like that," Eren waved her off with a nervous laugh. A dark look passed Mikasa's face as she seethed in anger.

"Tch, that shorty went way too far. I'll make him pay back one day."

"You're not talking about Captain Levi, are you?" Eren mumbled at the same time Armin chuckled nervously since he spotted the ravenette.

Ireen wasn't bothered. She was quick to calm her down. "It's fine. Eren is still living. Forget about it."

She patted her back but retreated her hand right away when Mikasa turned and stared dagger after releasing her hold on Eren. Ireen lifted up her hands, posing a surrender form.

"Hey Eren. Long time hasn't see you." The others were quick to join the formed group.

"You guys! You all are here?" Eren quickly scanned each face in enthusiast. "Why are you guys here? Was it because...." His face dropped. "Don't tell me you all are enlisted?"

"What else could be the reason then?" Connie shrugged.

"Then, the only ones who picked the Military Police Brigade are Jean, Marco and Annie?"

"Marco's dead." A familiar voice caught Eren off guard and he turned, shocked to see Jean. "Jean... You're kidding me. You too?? Wait.." Eren's face suddenly turned pale. "What do you mean with Marco is dead?"

"It is what it is. It seems like not everyone dies a dramatic death. We don't even know how he went down. He died alone, without anyone seeing or knowing."

The grief put everyone in silence as sadness etched back in each of their faces. Ireen noticed a nervous shuffling of feet at her back, where Reiner currently stood and the big guy was looking away for some reason. But she didn't put that into her mind when they were suddenly called by the squad leader. She immediately tossed the incident into 'will-forget-in-less-than-10-seconds' file at the back of her mind. 

"Gather up, recruits! Your uniforms are here!"

Stood in line, each of them put on the cloak given. It was very comfortable. Not too big nor to short. The material wasn't heavy too, it felt weightless on their shoulders. The green forest coloured cloak matched perfectly with the blue and white of the Wings of Freedom that proudly decorated their backs. It was as if they were telling the world, that here they come, ready to spill blood and tears and sweats for the sake of humanity, for the true purpose of ending the reign of the titans. For the sake of the future of the mankind.

And if Ireen has never feel excited to be in survey Corps, now she is. The determination etched on her face - along with the rest - that she will serve as a useful soldier till the death calls.

- - -

Knock! knock!

"Name and business?"

"Mike. You called for me, Erwin." The voice came from the other side of the door.

"Come in," Erwin allowed.

Mike slide in after opening the door, closing it behind his back as he made his way to in front of Erwin's working table. He watched as his best friend, also the commander, reaching to his drawer and pulling out few pieces of paper before handing them to him.

"Take a seat." Erwin spoke casually, but obviously lacing with commanding presence and a sign for the older male to read through the papers. Mike obeyed as he made himself comfortable on the leather couch opposite to him. His fingers were quick to slip in between the pages, legs crossing as eyes flashing interest. The written single name of a female crossed in the back of his mind.

"Previously you said your team is short in people. I have someone I want to recommend."

"A recruit?" Mike cocked an eyebrow while reading the details of the said person. Three long pages about the recruit; a full page regarding the personal information, a page full of the achievements and comments from Instructor Shadis and another page with three paragraphs from Rico Brenzska, Ian Dietrich and Mitabi Jarnach, the trio that had witnessed the recruit's fighting skills and survived after plugging the Trost's gate, though two of them currently spending nights in a hospital.

"Yes, I believed she will be useful in your team."

Mike made a sniffing gesture with his nose. "Ireen, the second in-rank from the 104th Training Corps. Deemed skillful, expert in maneuvering 3D maneuvering gear, strong in fist fight, sharp and quick thinking and obedience with orders, unless something fishy caught on. Main traits; fast as the wind, silent as the forest and fierce as the fire." Mike took a pause after reading out loud the summary of the said recruit.

"She has the requirements, but lack in experience. I can't accept her." Mike head up, eyes meeting with Erwin's.

"It will be too late by the time we waited for her to be fully experienced. Give her a taste once and she will know how to react."

"How sure you are about her, Erwin? This is her first expedition. If she wasn't ready and make a single mistake, not only it will risk my squad's lives, but we could also lose her. That will be a waste."

Erwin laid back to his chair with a finger tapping on the desk. "So, what's your suggestion?"

"I'll say we let her remain under Squad Leader Ness, let her be in her appointed position for her first time expedition. If you want her to involve more and pulling out her true potential then she can assist Ness in watching the recruits. Put her slightly towards the scout support squad so she will be in between the recruits and the forward soldiers."

"No, that can't be done. She'll be more vulnerable to the titans and being distracted from carrying out a task."

Mike's eyes widened immediately, and he stared. "Erwin... What do you plan to use her for?" He asked cautiously while trying to read Erwin's expression. Unreadable, as usual.

The room was silence as the two males continued staring at each other. Only the sound of the curtains ruffling due to the wind passing was heard, since Erwin had left the windows opened.

"Mike, when Eren's titan form revealed, and Hange's captured titans been killed, I started to think. A titan's power are so mysterious, and beyond our expectation that we never fathom human to be able to turn one before. So what if Eren wasn't the only one? What if there's more there outside?"

The lit up candles being their only companions, flickered in Erwin's eyes.

Erwin continued. "If they are by our side then it won't be a problem. But what if they are our enemies? What if their purpose to exist was to cease our existence? When Trost gate was breached, unlike what happened to Shiganshina, there's no further breach into Wall Rose. What could stop them? What suddenly halted them? Do you have an idea about it?"

"I could only think because they figure out something new. Eren's transformation. If Eren wasn't aware of his titan's ability, then he probably isn't one of them. And the enemies that you said probably have a thing or two with him, going as far as to kill him if Eren is going to be in their way, isn't it?"

"Yes. That could explain why the titans in Hange's custody got killed. The enemies doesn't want us to learn their secrets." Erwin released a long exhale, threading his fingers between his neat hair. The days were still long before they could learn the truth.

It's exhausting.

"So this is the reason why you want the recruits to participate in the next expedition." Mike said, more like a statement than a question. "If they are among the 104th Training Corps, we can rule out those staying to be our main suspects. Those statistics of mortality rate that you presented wasn't affecting them if they truly wanted to get to Eren."

"True. But we can't ignore that there's possibility they are more in numbers. They could be scattering away in different regiments, but most will focus to be closer to Eren so we have higher chance to identify them."

Erwin took a pause. He dropped down the hand on his head back to his mahagony wooden desk as his index finger tapped on it patiently.

"We will discuss the plan in our next meeting. This is no mere test run for Eren before heading to Shiganshina. We're going to lure out the other hiding shifters."

Mike stared deeply into the resolution set in Erwin's eyes. He had seen it many times. The eyes of a man that won't hesitate to lead his subordinates to death, for what he deemed as a step towards humanity's victory. There's no turning back. The plan will carry out no matter what.

Mike finally got it. That was what all it was about. The peculiar behaviour of their commander was because he suspected there were traitors in the military forces. Erwin was trying to smoke them out, to reveal their identity and to force them into submission. If this was a success, then humanity will take another step forward. Or probably ten, depending on how much the information they can extract.

Leave the information extraction procedure to Hange. She will know exactly what to do. That was one less problem to think of.

But there was another one. The more crucial one....

"Erwin, has it occur to you that Ireen could be the traitor? If you look at her capabilities, it's not impossible for her to do so." Mike voiced out his concern. Betting on someone they never met or knew before, definitely Erwin's style. But not his. Erwin could do in his own way. And so does he.

"Maybe... She could be one of them." Erwin didn't hesitate to answer. He already put Ireen at the top list of suspects under his radar.

Erwin's memory flashed back to the night when he met her.

Please, I beg you... Save Eren...

"That's why I'm putting her under you."

Mike raised an eyebrow in question.

"Her desire to protect Eren will make her do anything for his sake. Once we laid out the plan to her, she will make her decision, to obey or to betray. Assuming she is on the other side, the plan will most likely fail, and we know who we should aim. But if she's with us, Eren could be protected, and we will have more chance to identify the traitors."

"Mike, this might be a burden to you and your squad. But apart of having her to aid the plan, your team will be tasked to watch her over. Use your judgement to determine if she is trustworthy or not."

"Erwin, is this another big gamble of yours?"

"This is another step we are taking for the mankind." Erwin evaded swiftly. Mike stared in understanding, a hand shuffling around in the air with the paper in his grip.

"Very well. I'll take her in. But I'll run some tests on her first. After all, communication and teamwork is the key to ensure our survival."

Erwin closed his eyes for having the agreement reached. "Of course, do as you wish. Thank you, Mike." He mentally sighed in relief.

"I hope this bet of yours turns worthy. We can't lose more comrades than what we already had."

"That will depend on her. A person will only act if it's beneficial to them." His ocean blue hues took a peek ever so slightly, at the interesting papers laid infront of him.

The nights were still long, for them to reach the ever wanted truth. But they were heading there in a smooth flow.

It should be fine. It will be fine.

The mankind will once again rise and took over the world from the titans.

- - -

"But I swear! I swear I heard it! It was some sort of mourning as I went to the toilet last night!"

Ireen slumped down next to Ray with her breakfast in hands, sitting in between the ashen boy and the blondie of the Shiganshina. The metallic track made the clinking sound as she accidentally used more forces than necessary when dropping down the tray onto the table, muttering "oops" while Ray gave a questioning look with a rising eyebrow while munching on his bread.

"It was so low and creepy at the same time, that I forgot to take a piss and dashed back to my room!" Connie swung his hands in the air exaggeratedly while explaining. 

Apparently, someone had encountered an eerie incident last late night, and it turned to be Connie. He claimed that on the second level of the headquarters, the right wing where the male's second closest toilet and also the cleanest one was haunted. Well, not the toilet. But the way to the toilet. Half-path of the hallway heading there wasn't lit up because  the sconces mounted on the walls were broken and yet to be fixed. So one usually carried a lamp along with them if using the path. And Connie, being Connie and also not well informed regarding it wasn't preparing any lamp to help him with his vision.

He was grabbing here and there and used the walls to lead him to his destination when he heard the sound. It first came as a low whistling sound, that he thought must be the wind seeping in through any opened window or cracked wall - like hell there will be any cracked wall - but the second time it came out louder and longer. It was like a gruttering sound, a course mourn. And it was because of the low echoes that sent Connie sprinting on his legs.

"First night being here and I already encountered a spirit." Connie sighed, dropping a palm on his forehead before his eyes catching on Sasha's extended hand trying to steal his food. He slapped her hand away.

"Are you sure about this? Maybe it was just your imagination..."

"It's not. I was wide awake!" Again, Connie slapped Sasha's hand away earning a low yelp.

"Maybe it was indeed haunted. The headquarters has been left for so long..." Armin mumbled.

"Hah? You would believe on such bullshit? Ghost doesn't exist!" Jean leaned forward to face Armin who was seating opposite to him. The blondie squeaked at the sudden closure as Ireen flicked her finger on Jean's forehead, telling him to back off.

Jean snarled shouting "that's hurt!!" while rubbing his forehead.

"You're so loud. Quite down a bit. It is still early morning." Ireen grunted.

"Who cares if the headquarters haunted or not, you can always resort to the other toilet or move in a group or pair instead," Ymir sounded. She had her food finished already and was lazily sitting around with the rest. "Krista, if you ever want to use the toilet just wake me up. I don't mind~" The brunette then leaned in hugging the shortest soldier among them in the waist, causing the food that was in her hand to drop. She got her head crown ruffled afterwards.

"That's the girl things to do. It will be a disgraced to us man." Connie snorted as he looked away, sipping his tea.

Irked, Ymir released her hold on Krista, leaning forward while slamming her palm on the table, creating a loud noise. "Hah? What was it baldy? Wanna a punch or two??!"

"Ymir, stop it!" Krista begged.

And Connie exploded as he shouted, "it is a shaved head!"

Ray was pinching the bridge of his nose as he exhaled deeply. Being the oldest one, aged 20, he'd the most responsibility - more like forced to - in watching the cawing chicks ensuring them not to get overboard. Reiner and Mikasa usually helped along and the most adultish person he could ever rely, and so does Armin but he usually got ignored due to his timid voice. But the two doesn't look like bothered to get involved so he has to do it. And Ireen will be Ireen. Ignoring the banter and got lost in her own world.

He took a deep breathe before stealing a gaze to the right, where the bantering was. "You guys...." He called. "Tuned down a bit. You are creating a ruckus early in the morning," he advised with worry evident on his face. He worried if they were disturbing the superiors and other fellow comrades at nearing table. He earned few grumbles from the unsatisfied cadets.

"You came back late to our room last night, Ireen. Where have you been?" Mikasa's calmed voice sounded quite compared to Connie, Ymir, Krista and Ray's conversation, but enough to steal Jean's attention.

"I was visiting Eren". She mumbled lowly. Eren turned when he heard his name. Immediately he knew what was the topic about.

"Why?" Mikasa wasn't going to let Ireen off the hook. She ought to know what she was doing with Eren, especially past bed night hours at the basement where Eren was sleeping.

"Nothing much to be honest... Just asking him about his titan's power and if he has make any progress in controlling them. Also a bit about how he was adjusting his life here, but that aside, was nothing else."

"Did the superior know? Did you get the permission?" Ray was more interested with the conversation than calming the still on going banter. He think he saw Sasha's hand reaching to his potato and he swiftly grabbed it before bringing it to his mouth.

"Yes..."

"You didn't, did you?"

"Then what was the point of asking?"

"Ireen, you can't do that. You might get punish if someone caught you." Armin whisper-yelled in worry.

"Then don't talk about it and no one will know." She simply brushed it off. Armin's look was quick to turn to Eren before the male surrendered with his hands up. "I've told her to go back to her room but she won't listen. It was not like I can force her to since I was locked behind the bars and she refused to leave until I speak."

"Fine, let's just drop this topic. We won't know if someone ever eavesdrop --"

"Cadets! Your table is making quite a noise. Quite down a bit. People are getting disturbed." Someone just stood at the other end of the table, where Ymir, Krista, Sasha and Connie's were. He got a hand on his hip while the other holding a tray of his food glaring downwards. The responsible culprits for making noises mumbled an apology, before he turned and walked away. Opportunity flashed when his tray was held sideways and out of his vision, and Sasha was quick like a wind to steal a bread. Those on the table that witnessed the action left agaped, words unformed.

"Sasha!!!" A few of them shouted when the soldier was away, but once again stealing the nearby soldiers' attention before sheepishly waving them off, mumbling another apology.

Why did you do that??!"

"Sasha that was his food!"

"You suicidal bastard. You're just in par with another suicidal bastard that I know."

"Hey!!" Eren kept his tone low despite shouting. Sasha was ignoring them as she immediately stuffed the bread into her mouth to eradicate the evidence.

"Was it just me or Sasha's stealing skill has improved way more?" Ray turned to face Ireen who got a smirk etched on her face.

"I don't know anymore, Ray. But I won't be sitting near her anywhere if I'm having food around." She stifled a laugh, finding the situation to be really funny. She even had to lean and hide her face behind Armin's shoulder, grinning widely and Armin just leave her be. The weight she put by pressing his shoulder down doesn't feel much.

"So Eren, what will be you doing today?" The ginger boy placed down his spoon, done with eating as he questioned the brunette. Eren lifted up his head a bit to meet Armin's eyes and hummed.

"I think this morning will be doing some chores. I heard there's meeting between the superiors so we won't be doing any training till lunch."

"Ehh, really?" Jean butted in.

"Yes, that's what Oluo-san said to me."

"Oluo??"

"Brats..."

As if on cue, a voice belonged to the said man from behind Eren made everyone shut up and looked to each other's faces.

"Cleaning start in 10 minutes. If you're done eating then go get yourself prepare with the necessary cleaning supplies. You should know by now where the supplies room, right?"

"Y-yes, Oluo-san."

"Eren, you will be under our supervision. Captain Levi will be having a meeting right after this, so don't go out of our sightings got it?"

"Yes, Oluo-san", Eren repeated again.

But before Oluo could walk away, Sasha slowly raised her hand, stuttering in her speech. "S-sir, how do we know what will we be doing for our cleaning duties?"

She earned a raised eyebrow for that.

"You're kidding right? There is a board pasted out of this hall. You should be checking it by now before entering the mess hall."

"Right.. I'm sorry, sir." Sasha sheepishly said.

Oluo was still staring at the female, leaving her fidgeting in her seat finding it uncomfortable to be stared down. Had she did anything wrong? How could she know? This is only the second day she's being here. No one could tell if she had somehow broke a certain unspoken rule or what.

It is as after a moment of silence, with the rest of the recruits sitting in wary wondering what gonna happen next that Oluo released a sigh and his scowling and intimidating look changed to a smirk. "Well, that can't do. I'm not your superior or squad leader, don't call me sir."

Oluo walked away from Eren's back and stood at the side of the table, flashing a cocky grin. "My name is Oluo Bozado, a hand-picked soldier by Captain Levi to be part of his Special Operations Squad." He put both of his hands on his waist.  "There's no doubt in my skills in killing titans, I understand why I was chosen. So if you brats need an advice or two, you can come to me. After all, we don't want you guys to die quickly, right?"

Oluo was boosting with full of confidence as he spoke. The grin plastered on his face turned even wider if that was any possible, like he was doing some sort of toothpaste commercial at the moment. It rendered everyone on the table speechless.

When he didn't received any reaction from his previous question, he turned to his back, hands still on his waist. "Well, I'll be going now. Head me up if you need anything", and waved off immediately.

Only when he was far from their sightings that the recruits turned back to each other, faces confused.

"What's wrong with him?"

"What is he so proud off?"

"Eren, that is your teammate? He's so annoying..." Jean, Connie and Ymir said respectively at the same time.

Eren hesitantly laughed. "Don't be like that. He's good. And he is right about his skills. His killing count speaks for his skills."

"Really? How many?"

"39 solo kill and 9 in team." Eren mumbled.

"That many???" Jean accidentally hit the table with his knee, and cried in pain.

"I think you guys better be hurry. You still need to check your cleaning duties." Eren purposely ignored Jean's complains as he faced each of his friends' faces. Some of them nodded while the other rushed to finish their food.

"I already know my duty," Ireen piped up after haven't speaking for sometimes. "Hate it the exact moment I saw it because apparently I have two shifts, cleaning the horses' dunk and the dishes after dinner." She snorted, before drinking her tea. She finished it in one gulp.

She heard Jean's voice mocking her luck so she turned and gave him a one-type of smirk that spelled misery to the other, before purring. "We are in the same boat, Jean. You and me, have the same shift." The cup made a clink sound as she put it back on the table.

"Shit", was what Jean's respond to it.

[Clashing Blades.] © Devilish_red

• Please leave your vote, comment and follow. Thank you so much! •

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

532K 17.6K 27
She's lived outside the walls all her life. When the humans ventured outside Wall Maria, she protected them, and watched over them to the best of her...
33.6K 1.1K 20
"It's cold, I just came from the underground." The boy then walks up to me as my head faces down he caressed my face.He spreads his arms and wraps th...
402K 15K 25
in which a girl named y/n lives in Marley and is a Eldian. the girl was known for how kind and beautiful she was along with her families bakery- thou...
70.7K 1.9K 32
﹙⭔.🐳 "uhm, so carla asked me to take uh..."⟆ ( 〃"let me guess." you started, "brunette bastard?" .) ★☆﹔ "i heard that, jerk!"﹆ ◃. y/n is a intro...