The Little Dove #3 ✔️

By darkblonde1

Sequel to The Lone Dove: #3 Melanie Myers is the daughter of Poppy and Maximus Myers. She has her Mother's et... More

PROLOGUE
01. An Enemy of Edmund Creed
02. I am a Man of my Word
03. The Book On Hypnosis
04. Have I Caught Your Attention Now?
05. History Untold
06. You're Getting Angry With Me
07. Written Confession
08. Sense of Smell and Sound
09. Golden Level and Above Mine
10. The Fall of a Broken Neck
11. Edmund, You Have the Sexiest Name On the Planet
12. It was All a Test, It was All a Lie
13. Information Pays More Than Pleasure
14. Frowned Upon By The Gods
15. Get Your Own Orchid
16. Giving Edmund a Run for His Money
17. Trampled With Close-Call Encounters
18. The Bicker and Banter of Dainty Twin Laughter
19. The Million Dollar Question
20. The Divergent Nightmare
22. Dead Men Tell No Tales
23. Mission Is Go
24. Liar In The Sheets
25. It Involves A Bikini
26. Love On The Rocks
27. Trust And Sacrifice
28. Dance Like We're Making Love
29. The Edge of A Bullet
30. Taking The Bullet, What A Wicked World
31. It's Time For A Game Change
32. First Rule: Don't Get Caught
33. Strike First, Answer Questions Later
34. The Known Cannot Be Unknown
35. The Hidden Tunnel Revealed
36. Who Are You, Edmund Creed?
37. Let's Play A Game of Truth
38. As The End Nears...
39. No More Lemon
40. The Board Of Trustees
41. A Hit On The Dandelion
42. The City That Never Sleeps
43. Mad World
44. The More Reliable
45. Trust
46. The Ultimate
47. Turn Around
48. All Choked Up
49. One Stolen Breath
50. The Horizontal Dance
51. The Day After
52. My Celestial Being
53. The Collision
54. Source of Entertainment: Sweet Dreams
55. Blood Bound
56. The Girl Behind It All
57. Tough Dad Vibes
58. Not All Is As They Appear
59. Another Untamed Liar On The Loose
60. Kenji + Edmund = Testosterone Dynamite
61. Don't Do This, Kenji.
62. The Unknown Demise
63. Poisoned
64. Relations With The Fitzgerald
65. Tsuen Imperfections
66. The Price On The Battlefield
67. A Time So Deadly
68. Adapting
69. Kiss Him, Melanie. It'll be your last.
70. Wherefore Art Thou, Edmund?
71. Ridiculed Riddle
72. Deals With Devils
73. Heart Screaming Blood
74. Staying Sane In The Snow
75. Sacrifice Is Never Planned
76. The Truth To Set Her Free
77. Lemon Quartz
78. Turn Me Aflame
79. Come Die With Me, Melanie.
80. Playing God
EPILOGUE
⚜️ INTERESTING FACTS ⚜️
⚜️ ANNOUNCEMENT ⚜️
⚜️ ANNOUNCEMENT ⚜️

21. Won't You Stay

1.2K 66 74
By darkblonde1

CHAPTER 21: Won't You Stay

When I left Vancouver, Marvin decided to stay for another week. I told Mom and Dad that I wanted to be early, and get a head start on a few of my test preparations. I only stretched the truth a little. Leaving the academy was easy. It was staying gone that was hard. I trained, and I worked. Seeing Mom and Dad again. It was relieving and did make me feel like myself for a change. Those nightmares played on reoccurring loops. Tonight, was the first night where every nightmare flashed and collated with one another to drive me into a higher level of caution, risk, and fear.

I stay staring at the sink, at the kitchen counter with a plain expression on my stricken, hollow face. My cheeks felt sunk in as I take quiet, frequent sips from the tea I made not ten minutes ago. My lungs felt condensed, as if overused or filled with salt water from the remnants of the nightmare I had barely half an hour ago. The icepack had helped, but soon after, I held a numbing fortress around me. I felt as though I had to breathe faster, it was too slow and the salt water clutched me in its bitter arms, pulling me further under.

I felt overexerted and hadn't even noticed the other body swaggering in the room. I jump when two heated fingers run down the bare length of my arm, and I turn to see two silver orbs staring down at me intently, "Nightmares?" He whispers one word that speaks a thousand.

I purse my lips, "Of such. Why are you awake?" I ask him, taking another sip of my drink. He takes a seat on the tabletop of the kitchen counter.

"We went to bed early." He murmurs, gesturing me closer. I step in between him and the table. He cups one cheek and leans down, running the tip of his nose up my forehead, just as always; this time, he was warm.

I smile to myself, "Why do you do that?" I whisper in curious question. He did it often, very often since we'd gotten closer; first couple of weeks were rocky as if we were at each other's throats and still ignoring one another...but afterward had changed the more incidents happened. As if something in him snapped, and he no longer wanted to keep his distance, I stopped pushing away, needing him, perhaps for protection or something else.

"You relax more when I do." He murmurs, pressing his lips against the baby hairs of my hairline. I place the cup down behind me, turning back to face him, and I look up at him closely.

"How so?" I whisper, looking down.

He sighs, before I feel his hand move towards my lower back, "Your shoulders droop ever so slightly, you sigh whether it be in disappointment, defeat or content, you do it every time and you move closer, always. Your lower back will arch further into me, you'll close your eyes and act as if you're taking your first breath." Well, that was certainly something.

I huff, dropping my head between his pecks, I close my eyes. Damn, he was warm. Not exponentially heated, just the right temperature. He lets out a masculine breath, one hand still curving into the crook of my lower back and the other entangles into my hair.

I place my hand under my head, he sharply inhales, "Christ, lemon. You're ice cold." I immediately remove my hand but he captures it with his, shaking his head and putting it back. I curl my fingers around his thumb, he was warm.

I furrow my eyebrows, "How are you so warm? Even from sleeping on the couch." I murmur, looking up at him, wonder and curiosity in my mists, but really I wanted to numb my thoughts of anything else. The dream was still colourful in my mind, unforgettable.

The hold he had on my wrists felt so bloody real, one hand cups my cheek and I look up into Edmund's silver eyes, before something drops from my right eye and he watches the bitter salted tear roll from my bottom lashes, it crashes against his thumb.

"I heard you scream my name, lemon." He says, not bothering to whisper.

I close my eyes and lean into his hand, "I just had a nightmare."

"Was it because of me? Was I hurting you, lemon? I need to know." He leans down, getting me to look up at him, I shake my head.

"I was screaming for you, not because of you," I mutter, raising my arms up and around his neck, he lifts me from the floor, and I sit on my legs, which are bent back at the knee, allowing me to sit on his lap.

"It was Forthright, wasn't it? Damnit, lemon, he will not touch you, I swear it." He says, frustrated but I could read into his eyes, it wasn't the fact I had the nightmare. He was afraid I believed he would allow Forthright to hurt me when it was quite in fat the other way around. I nod up to him, reassuring him in most cases.

"Lemon, with words." He says to me. I fold my arms.

He huffs, "I am not dominating you."

I lightly slap his shoulder, "You want a verbal agreement every single time we talk, Edmund."

"I can tell your non-verbal agreement is equivalent to crossing your fingers behind your back, lemon." He says to me, slipping an arm around my lower back. Before I bother to react, he skims the other under my legs and steps off the chair.

I stare at him, "I think you're assuming things."

He pauses in his steps, slowly turning down to me, "You're proving me wrong?"

I purse my lips, and he raises an eyebrow, "That's what I thought." This was definitely him in real life, not a dream. He was too agreeable in the dream, and that is what was unusual in reality.

He lowers me to my open covers, "It's only Saturday, try to get more sleep." He whispers.

"Can we watch a film instead? Unless you're tired?" I murmur in question, moving over towards the middle of the mattress. He sighs in defeat, asking me where my laptop is, I point to my desk. He moves with his masculine swagger, not even trying to look as handsome as he does. I blow out a puff of air-No, Melanie. Don't think about it.

That was one hell of a dream.

A nightmare.

That made me want to take Forthright down even more.

I vowed to do so and I will.

Edmund places the laptop on the duvet in front of me before turning the side light on. I open my screen, opening a few video accounts of mine, "Do you have a particular genre you want to watch? Science fiction, fantasy, some action?" I wonder.

He pulls the duvet up a bit, "Here I thought you were a romantic?" I straighten my back and snap my head over to him with a resonating click, I give him an incredulous look, and he tilts his head, dropping his hand to my lower back.

"When have I ever suggested I was into romantic films?" I ask, still in disbelief when I scroll through the films. He sits up, his arm bent straight behind me as he takes a look.

He stops at E.T.

I blink, "That one." He whispers.

I bite my lip, "You are so old." I think to myself, before he slowly leans back, time gradually spaced into numbers and letters when I turn my head towards him.

"That may have come out wrong." I give him a sheepish look.

He 'hmm's', leaning back towards the pillows, I hold the urge to giggle, or snort, opening the film, I move the sheets so it sat on his lap, I leaned back, unsure of where his arm was when I drop my head on his bare shoulder, his hand flattens along my lower back. I felt the heat of it there, a calm caress and a warm reminder that he was here.

The film started, while my head was slowly spinning a merry-go-round of lies, darkness, and of demons I could never foresee and had no idea of how to defend myself against the unknown, the uncertain. I fold my arm over his closest peck and my hand resting under my chin.

Halfway through the film, my eyes were closed, and I felt warmer, but not sweating in fear, I was finally comfortable with the welcoming heated next to me, who drops his head closer to mine. I felt the laptop close and was moved, still with him next to me. The light was turned off and my hair was tucked behind my ear before he pulled the sheets up more and held the back of my head.

I had a dreamless sleep, which was better than before. It wasn't fully light when I woke up again, and I woke up because of the male holding me. I was secured in his arms. He'd tucked me in relatively close, and my head was resting on the place in which his collarbones meet. One arm was wrapped around my waist, the other hand was typing on a screen that was colour inverted black so as to not wake me. He was typing, and when I open one eye, I noticed it was a statistical reports essay.

I hold the absolute urge to huff, he chuckles in a whispered tone, "I know you're awake, lemon."

"Can you read the rest of my mind and turn that off?" I grumble, turning away and ready to roll over to the side of the bed, but once I've rolled onto my other side, he locks me in, with his burly bicep cascading past my chest and down to wrap his hand around my waist, smoothing out the chemise silk.

"I'm almost finished. Five more minutes." He whispers, placing a kiss on my hairline. In my ruffled sleep, I hug his arm in closer, meaning he could likely feel more, which had him momentarily pausing in his typing.

I let out a low sigh, "Two minutes more. I promise." He murmurs, rubbing the silk at my waist. The remembrance of last night had weighed on me heavily. Hold in him was the only thing that felt right at this moment. Ten minutes later, I hear him close the laptop, and his arm releases slightly so he can place his laptop down off the bed.

I feel him curl into me. He reaches over and ever-so-slowly intertwines his fingers through mine on the duvet. His warmth cloaked my backside; he pulled my arm in closer to his, placing his head on mine, and his cheekbone brushed mine.

I sigh and close my eyes, that's before he decides to ask, "Will you be my debutante at the ball, lemon?" I open my eyes, he tilts up to look down at me, his silver orbs staring intently into my amethyst ones.

"No." I say.

He smirks, "Oh, I'm not taking 'No' for an answer, lemon. You're going." He whispers, splicing his head into my neck. His breath rolls down my collarbone, and his arms tighten around my waist.

I gasp, "No, I am not going to that pathetic event." I breathe out.

"Don't you want to see me all dressed up? Tuxedo, tie, flash shoes, and your beauty on my sleeve. I also want to see you in a dress." He murmurs the last part, something glinting in his eyes.

I scoff, "I'm already wearing a dress now."

He purses his lips, "Perhaps, but how likely do you think I'll let others see this particular dress?" He asks me, trailing his finger along the strand at my shoulder. He trails the pad of his finger down my arm, his eyes watching not a second later.

His large hand cups mine and raise it to his lips, brushing against my knuckles, the sound of the front door of the apartment opening has me tensing, I sit up and look to the door, the sound of Lyndon's light chuckles could be clear.

Edmund, however, curses, "Fuck sake, what are they doing here this early in the morning?" He wonders, jumping off of me and stepping towards the wardrobe, he grabs my black business suit, then my red one, and lastly my gold one.

He looks over each three, "Which one has the lowest neckline?" He asks me, I furrow my eyebrows, staring at him with narrowed eyes.

"The gold one." The second I say those words, he throws the golden business one-suit back into the closet, refraining from the urge to hiss in irritation, he holds up the other two, I point to the red one, believing I wanted to wear that one today, but he throws that in the closet too.

He steps over to me, "This better be the shortest neckline you have, lemon."

I raise an eyebrow, "Remind me never to go clothes shopping with you." I tell him, dryly grabbing the black business suit from him.

He gives me a deadpan look, "For that remark, we will be, lemon." My own father doesn't even do this. Probably because he's focused on making sure Mom's was never too low.

I roll my eyes, so he points at me, "I saw that."

"You are being a little overboard. You can't even see enough to know what's there." I emphasize, sitting up from the bed.

He scoffs, grabbing one of his shirts, "Tell that to a blind man, lemon. Even he wouldn't believe you, woman."

I step towards the en-suite, "The chemise reveals more," He doesn't let me continue.

"Which is why I'm the only one seeing it, lemon."

"My business suits are not the problem here," I tell him, closing the door to change, I caught him narrowing his eyes at me before I closed the door.

"The one yesterday was." He says besides the door.

"Oh, stop hyperbolizing it, Edmund. They're not revealing." I tell him, fixing the zip behind the black silk at my back. I fold my chemise to the shelving on the side, and the door opens with a small knock just as I pick up my toothbrush.

He groans, "Damnit lemon. I don't believe that's the shortest neckline." He points at me, closing the door behind him. He steps up next to the sink as I brush my teeth. After that, I grab my face cream.

"It is. Did anyone have any plans for today?" I wonder aloud.

He noticed my change in the subject as easily as hearing the change in weather outside, gloomy grey with light rain, "Why not watch the next fictional science film on your account?" He asks me or instead suggests.

I fix the eyeliner at the brim corners of my eyes, "I'm required to catch up on a few of my courses. Rain check?" I offer, he rolls his eyes, standing to open the door. When we step out into the lounge, Lyndon lies horizontally with his head on the armrest and a smug grin on his face.

"Why hello? Is this the shameful walk? I honestly never thought I'd see the day." He says, whistling low.

Lorraine gives me a look, I shake my head and she sighs in what looks to be a relief, I give her a pointed look, and she grabs the magazine from the front table, just before my phone vibrates in my pocket.

I sigh, looking at the screen, surprised when I see Jamison's name on the front. I answer the call, "Jamison, it's been too long." I say, stepping over towards the sliding doors, where the light rain trails the railing surface.

"Miss Myers, lord, you sound a lot like your mother on the phone. It's been a long time. How have you been? I hear you're studying at a specialized academy for business, just out of central London?" He wonders generously.

I smile, which I'm sure he could hear through my tone, "I haven't been too bad, busy and yes, just two hours out from city central. How's Chicago?" I ask, knowing Mom said he'd call from where he's currently checking over the management levels in the US.

"It's been busy, Miss Myers. I wanted to call you regarding your new management desk in London, Paris, and Shanghai districts." He tells me. I almost drop the phone.

"Bloody hell." I breathe out.

"I beg your pardon?" He asks as if he hadn't heard me correctly.

"I apologize, Jamison. I-Mom didn't inform me which districts I'd be taking over. I'm just a tad bit speechless." I murmur with a breathy laugh.

He chuckles on the other end, "You've earned it, Miss Myers. I'll be sending you the upcoming reports for all three districts. I have looked at your school timetable and made sure that any meeting you're required to attend, is applicable. You're first three are in Paris. The first one is in exactly two hours, Miss Myers. Your plane has been readied. I will meet you there." He says to me.

I turn around, glancing over my shoulder, making eye contact with Lorraine. She gives me a quizzical look, and I sigh, "Do I have any meetings tomorrow as well?"

"Yes, two in Shanghai." He answers with.

I sigh, "I'll need to make it back by Monday, Jamison. I'll be at the airport in half an hour, an hour tops. Thank you for notifying me." I tell him professionally before we both say 'goodbye and hang up.

Lorraine gives me a look, "You're leaving again?" It's quiet from where Edmund stands. He's staring at me, an impenetrable stare, strong or unreadable emotion that I almost didn't have time to identify.

I turn back to Lorraine, sliding my phone into my pocket, "I've been handed over three districts, including the Parker-Myers' HQ. I've got meetings set for the weekend. I should be back by Monday." I tell her, trying to be soft with my words, but no matter how soft I was, it wouldn't have changed anything.

She purses her lips harshly, "Business calls, I guess." She mutters, folding her arms and sliding further down into the couch.

"Lorraine-" I start, but she holds her hand out.

"No, you don't need to say anything. Really, I get it, Mel but...what about everything that has happened here? The break-ins, the incidents, the secrets, you lying to me about what's going on?" She says.

I narrow my eyes, "I haven't lied. Besides, during the break-in, it wasn't the brightest idea to run in here. I needed to know if it was business-related, high school-related, or something else. I'm still not sure. What I am sure of is the tightened security. I won't be here twenty-four-seven now after being handed over these districts." I attempt to explain to her, stepping over towards my room.

"Did you even want this? Melanie, I've heard you talk about your mother's company-what? Twice, maybe three times since high school." She says, following me into my room, she gestures to the others to hold a moment, before slamming the door closed.

I sigh, grabbing my smaller travel bag, and placing it open on the bed, "I've always wanted to work in the company, Lorraine. You know this because you've seen me study the brinks of it left, right, and centre. Honestly, I feel normal again. A lot has happened here since we arrived." I mutter, folding and sliding in a few business one-suits, and a couple of my nightgowns.

She throws herself into a seat on the bed, "I know. I know, it's just, I'm not used to you being so busy. I was hoping to share more gossip about you, magic man." She lightens the mood, shaking her shoulders and making kissy faces.

I roll my eyes with a smile, "He is not my magic man, for one, and are you sure that's a good idea?" I ask her, referring to the said 'gossip' she spoke of.

"You'd be surprised what some people unknowingly reveal when they think no one is watching. Let's just say he was a dulled, prissy old man while you were off lord-knows-where, a.k.a Vancouver, as we have only just found out. Why do you think he insisted on staying in last night? He's changed since you two first met." She murmurs, a knowing look in her eyes.

I place one hand on my hip, "If we weren't so entangled in danger, he might have just kept going the way he was, Lorraine."

She now gives me an undignified look, "You don't know that. Look, the masquerade party is this Friday night, we have dance classes all week and..." She winces, and I furrow my eyebrows.

She sighs in defeat and disgust, "The teachers get to pick their dancers for the first dance. An email has been sent out, informing us but not telling us who will choose. Just be aware of that." She tells me. I clench my jaw, remaining quiet. I'd have to come up with a plan for that one.

A knock on the door resonates, Lorraine sighs, getting it for me as I hurriedly move to my hidden cabinet and grab the files once again, I stuff them in the bag when Lorraine opens the door wider to reveal...

Edmund.

Stoic. Strong. Clenching his jaw but he's otherwise very unreadable.

I sigh in defeat as they exchange places, and Lorraine closes the door, "Leaving again, are you, lemon?" That is the first thing he says.

"You of all people should understand, Edmund," I murmur, placing one peach chemises inside the bag. He steps up and grabs it harshly, moving it back into the wardrobe.

I smile, pursing my lips, "You're being a bit exaggerating." I tell him.

He doesn't say anything. He just steps away from the wardrobe and around me, moving towards the couch. He roughly grabs his bag and folds up his belongings. I sigh in annoyance, "Not this again, Edmund. I'll be gone for two days. It's not that big of a deal." I murmur, stepping around the bed and past the desk.

"I work for an oil enterprise, Melanie, and yet, I can still do my work on a laptop. It's that simple. Why did you even come here if you were already going to work under your family name, anyway? You don't need the qualifications because it's already been handed to you." He says, I close my eyes when he says my real name, something I just wasn't used to from him. Why did up he have to be made? I needed to attend these meetings.

"I can do more with these qualifications, Edmund. It's why I wanted to study first." I drop my hand on his bare forearm, to effectively stop him from ripping the bag away and leaving the second he hears that I'm required elsewhere.

"So study, for fuck's sake. Why bother asking to work whilst at school? You're just asking for more stress." He tells me, moving his arm from me and shoving his bag to the side, he takes a seat on the couch, I'd noticed he already removed the sheets and readied them to be placed in the laundry room.

I take a courageous step and step in between his legs, taking a seat on one of his thighs, and wrapping an arm around his neck. His nose twitches, but otherwise he doesn't move, and he stares straight forward.

"I have a few meetings in Paris today and a couple in Shanghai tomorrow, but I'll still be back by Monday," I murmur, informing in, unlike the last when I hadn't.

He slowly turns his eyes to mine, "Why tell me?"

I shrug, "Perhaps to show I trust you to know where I am going and why and to understand that what I'm doing is important to me." He huffs, turning back forward, squinting his eyes forward.

"Fine, because it's important to you." He whispers. I tentatively kiss the ridge of his prominent cheekbone, before getting ready to sit up, only for him to grab my waist and slide me back, so my side is flush with his chest.

"Ten more minutes, lemon. You owe me that."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

605K 20K 47
HEIRS SERIES #1 ~Eres Academy~ Paige Bennet is a commoner. Wealth isn't in her vocabulary, nor is designer...
49 31 25
This book tells the story of two university lovers who managed to still be in love with each other even after graduation. Stella got pregnant in her...
43.9K 1.1K 39
Welcome to Lucia Gomez's life. A young special CIA agent. She is one of the youngest and best agents who was raised in The Western Department (TWD). ...
193K 5.7K 20
A girl named Selena, 15 years old, is basically like your real life Cinderella. Mean step-mother, and mean step-sisters. She does basically everythi...