The Emperor's Favorite (Dropp...

By YERINHWAJ

Thanks to her talents and beauty, Jiao Wei enters the Imperial Harem and starts a long journey from begin a l... More

Author Note and Character Profile
Imperial Harem Ranking System
1. The Forbidden City
2. Imperial Concubine Chun
3. The First Night
4. Unexpected News
5. The Secret Date (ruined)
6. Imperial Concubine Jian
6.2 / Update on the ranks of the Harem + a little message!
8. The Banquet
9. Dear Sister
10. Pregnant
Notice
I might comeback
I finally returned?
11. The Fourth Princess
12. A New Start
13. My Beloved
14. Princess Uisun
15. The Selection
Updates on the Royal Harem (1-16) + some things :)
17. Summer Heat
18. Cold Palace
19. The Emperor's Birthday
20. The Empress

16. The Sun and The Moon

1.7K 40 11
By YERINHWAJ

The photo I used as the chapter cover is
Noble Lady Gu during the selection.
The photo I used it's not mine, credit to the rightful owner.

-

At the Palace of Eternal Spring, in the bed chambers situated in the side hall, Jiao Wei was screaming while giving birth to the twins, the chief maid and of her palace, along the nurse maid, was giving orders left and right to the maids, while the Imperial Doctors were behind a screen, trying to help even if they couldn't actually intervene.

"NiangNiang, birthing twins isn't easy! remember that the balance between ying and yang must be maintained!" said Imperial Doctor Xu.

Jiao Wei screaming intensified, as she says "It hurts so much!", the maid was trying to help Consort Zhen mentally, reassuring her that if she pushes a little more, the twins will be born in minutes, since she was already giving sign of birthing the first child, "NiangNiang please push a little more! The little Royal childs will be born soon!"

As Jiao Wei lets out another screaming, the nurse hurriedly says, "I can see the head!"
'I need to give my all', as Jiao Wei thought this, she pushes more and finally she hears a baby cry, "NiangNiang, the first baby is born!"

Earing this, the Imperial Doctors behind the screen, congratulated Jiao Wei, "Congratulations NiangNiang!", then Imperial Doctor Xu asked, "Is the Princess looking healthy?"

"Yes! She's an adorable Princess!", replied the nurse maid.
Jiao Wei, even if she was still tired from just giving birth to one child, she still lift her head up, looking at her daughter crying, she let out a smile; her daughter was still covered in blood and other dirt, but she's was still adorable and good-loking. The maids and the nurses noticing the blood covered Princess, two of them took the Princess and said, "Nubi will immediately clean the Princess and bring her to NiangNiang later."

Jiao Wei didn't have time to reply, that she starts to scream another time, feeling that her other child wanted to come out.

-

Meanwhile, the Emperor along three other concubines, were waiting impatiently for news in the hall of the Palace.
When the concubines arrived at Consort Zhen's Palace, the Emperor was already there, and he permitted only Imperial Noble Consort Qi, Noble Consort Xi and Imperial Concubine Xian to enter his beloved's Palace, mainly because he trusted that at least them won't think of harming either Jiao Wei or the twins, also he noticed how Imperial Noble Consort recently changed, he didn't hear much about her schemings by his secret spies, and was behaving so much better; he didn't see this behavior from her since they were in the Fourth Prince Manor, but maybe it was for the better, 'If she really changed, I might consider her for the Empress throne.'
Meanwhile, the other concubines were left waiting outside Consort Hua's Palace, were seat, refreshments and tea were provided by the maids

The three concubines in the hall were seating while drinking some tea, that was imported recently from Joseon, during the banquet. Noble Consort Xi, noticing the awkward silence, and to also do something while waiting for news, she decided to start a conversation.

"Your Majesty, this concubine knows that when women are pregnant, if they like sour food, you will give birth to a son. If the woman likes spicy food, then the child its a daughter, – Noble Consort Xi looked closely at the Emperor's expression, – what does His Majesty think?"

'She's basically asking what Jiao Wei ate during her pregnancy, – thought Ling Xue, – but I saw her ate both of them, wouldn't that mean -"

"Consort Zhen ate both sour and spicy food.", the Emperor's reply was simple and short, leaving speechless not only Noble Consort Xi, also the other two concubines, making the award silence of before, return.
Not even five minutes after, a maids comes from the side hall, where Jiao Wei bedroom was. The maid bowed to the Emperor, "Nubi, greets the Emperor and the NiangNiangs."

The Emperor, wanting to know something about Jiao Wei, hurriedly replied, "Hurry, tell me what happened."

"The first Royal child is born Your Majesty, congratulations, its a Princess!", The Emperor smiled knowing his first child with Jiao Wei would be a daughter, like the two of them dreamed. "The Fifth Princess will be named HeJing, with the Second Rank."
(t/n: (hé) meaning "lotus, water lily", (jīng) meaning "clear, crystal")

The Emperor's words left everyone perplexed, a concubine's child begin promoted at birth at the second rank? It never happened in almost two thousand years, when the Third Emperor of the Jin Empire promoted his favorite, who was a maids, to concubine, until she became an Empress! She also became the Empress Dowager and lived other fifty years in luxury, she was one of the most powerful Empresses in the Dynasty.

But nobody could say anything, since the Fifth Princess was one of the two blessed twins.
"Congratulations to His Majesty the Emperor and Consort Zhuan!", as they were congratulating the Emperor on the birth of the Fifth Princess, Jiao Wei had just given birth to the other twin.

Meanwhile the Emperor was chatting happily with his concubines about the birth of the Fifth Princess, another maid entered the hall greeting the Emperor and the concubines, "Nubi greets the Emperor and the NiangNiangs."

The Emperor looked at the maid with a worried face, "Hurry and tell me what happened, did something happen to Consort Zhen?"

"This servants gives her congratulations to His Majesty! – said the maid bowing, – Consort Zhen has given birth to her second child, its a little Prince! Both NiangNiang and the Second Prince are healthy!"

Hearing that, Imperial Noble Consort's face blanked, but hurriedly bowed to the Emperor to congratulate him, along all his subjects in the room, "Congratulations to His Majesty the Emperor and Consort Zhen for the birth of the Second Prince!"

The Emperor still couldn't process the maid's words, a son, his beloved has given to him a son. He then realized that he was still in public, and recomposed himself by saying, "The Second Prince will be named YongZheng, with the Second Rank."
(t/n: (Yong"harmonious") and "zheng" (Chinese: lit. "just, correct, upright"

When the Emperor finished to speak, he immediately went to visit Consort Zhen and the twins, the concubines along the personal eunuch of the Emperor, left the hall to announce the birth of the two Royal children.
Before Imperial Noble Consort left the hall, the eunuch came to her to speak, "NiangNiang, I have orders to announce an Imperial Edict to all the subjects of His Majesty when this subject and NiangNiang will left the hall."

The eunuch wanted only to let the Imperial Noble Consort know before the Imperial Edict will be announced, since she was the master of the harem. "Just do your duty, when all the concubines will be together, you can announce the Imperial Edict."
The eunuch simply nodded, as the two left the hall and Imperial Noble Consort was with the other concubines, he started to announce the Imperial Edict.
Also, the three concubines that knew about the birth of the twins, since Imperial Noble Consort briefly told them not to, they didn't say anything to the concubines who were left outside; letting them only guess what happened inside.

"I will now announce the Imperial Edict."
All the staff present in the Palace and the concubines, bowed to respect the Emperor's words.
"Consort Zhen has successfully given birth to the Fifth Princess, Princess HeJing of the Second Rank and to the Second Prince, Prince YongZheng of the Second Rank. Both the mother and the children are safe, so We will award all the staff of the Palace of Eternal Spring and those who helped Consort Zhen to give birth with three days off and three thousand gold coins." the eunuch for a moment paused, then he continued, "The twins are a blessing to the nation, bringing prosperity and good fortune, one begin the Moon, the other the Sun, thus We will conferring to the Fifth Princess and the Second Prince the title of Princess and Prince of Luoyang City."
(t/n. Luoyang City was a famous city and also capital in various times during the Imperial China, surviving for more than 2000 years)

'Luoyang City? isn't Luoyang City the old Capital? It's still one of the biggest cities of the Jin Empire!'
The concubines were left speechless, not only for the high-ranked title the Emperor just bestowed to the two Royal children, but also because now there was a Second Prince, who was also considered blessed, and the fact that he was also the first son since the Emperor ascended the throne, this was lowing the First Prince position; everyone guessed it would be a matter of time to Consort Zhen to be promoted to Noble Consort, 'he might even promote her now', thought Imperial Noble Consort Qi.

"We will also build a new Palace close to Us for Consort Zhen, the name of the Palace will be personally written by Us"
(t/n. he means he will personally write the sign of her palace, it was considered a blessing and a sign that you were the most favored.)

Also a new palace? 'At least he didn't promote her to Noble Consort.' thought most of the concubines. Everyone obviously congratulated the Emperor and accepted the Imperial Decree, but now the harem will be a literal hell, with all the concubines trying to only do one thing: to give birth to a son early as possible.

Not only to strengthen their position, but also to have a chance to be the mother of one of the Emperor eldest sons, specially the new concubines, the high ranking ones; they didn't want to disappoint their matrial clan.

-

As the Emperor entered Jiao Wei's bedroom, he saw his beloved sleeping peacefully, while Imperial Doctor Xu was speaking to the chief nurse and maid of Jiao Wei. "How is my Consort and children doing?", asked the Emperor.

"Your Majesty, NiangNiang is healthy even if the Princess' birth at start was difficult, and she lost much blood, the Prince's birth was smooth." said the chief nurse, "Yes Your Majesty, like the chief nurse said, Everything went well in the end. Both NiangNiang and the twins are healthy." finished Imperial Doctor Xu.

"Good, Good!" said the Emperor smiling, them he looked at the nurse and said, "Where are the twins?"
"Your Majesty, the twins are in the nursery, Nubi will bring them to His Majesty." said a maid, and then retired to bring the twins to the Emperor.

While waiting for the maids to bring their children, the Emperor looked at this favorite; peacefully sleeping like a moment ago she didn't give birth to two babies. 'I'm so grateful both the twins and Jiao'Er are healthy, – thought the Emperor, – Usually you need to be at the Emperor side for more than five years to be Noble Consort but if buddha permits to have another child, then I can promote her to Noble Consort.'

The maid arrived carrying the Fifth Princess, behind her another maid carrying the Second Prince; noticing that the Emperor ordered to the maids to bring the twins to him, the maids then put the babies in their crib, close to both the Emperor and Jiao Wei.
"Your Majesty, even if the Fifth Princess is a little small compared to the Second Prince, she's healthy, she will grow up without any issue.", explained Imperial Doctor Xu.

"Good! – the Emperor said, then he looked at this children, – the Fifth Princess' face looks like Consort Zhen, even the Second Prince's forehead looks like our Consort's."

"Your Majesty, it's early to guess the looks of the babies, – said Imperial Doctor Xu, smiling at the Emperor, – once they will grow up, I'm sure they will both look like the Emperor and Consort Zhen."

"You're right Imperial Doctor Xu." said the Emperor, then he asked to all the servants to retire, to spend a moment of privacy between the new family.

"Yes, Your Majesty.", after the reply, all the servants, including the Imperial Doctors, retired after bowing in respect. The Emperor looked at his beloved, and thought, 'I can't wait for you to wake up and see how adorable our children are.'

-

Meanwhile, Imperial Consort Qi retired to her chamber, and asked her maid to call her son, the First Prince, and his nanny.

The First Prince was seven years old currently, in one month he will be eight, meaning that soon he will be able to attend the Royal Academy, a prestigious school for both high ranking people and commoners, it's only based on your skill and talent if you can attend it or not. Inside the Academy, the ranking was based on your talents alone.

It's called Royal Academy only because it was instituted by the Second Emperor of the Jin Empire, to bring the talented fellows in one place, in a luxurious and with high quality forniture, without paying anything, studying the six arts with masters and famous teachers; if you had enough talent, you can enter, regardless of your rank. Even Jiao Wei attended it, but only one and half year, before the Edict of the concubine selection was spread to the noble clans.

'I must rise my son rank to let the Emperor see how he is the only one who deserves the Crown Prince title, – thought Imperial Noble Consort Qi, – he is talented enough to enter the Royal Academy, in the fall he will take the test, he must train in the six arts and study until the test will take place, also I need to speak another time to mother, to reassure her I will be the Empress.'

When the First Prince arrived, accompanied by his nanny, he did a little bow to his mother, "Royal Mother, your son is here, why you summoned me? Is there something concerning you?"

"My son, come here to your Royal Mother.", Imperial Noble Consort gave a sign to his son to come to her. The First Prince came close to his mother and, as the latter gave sign to sit in the throne close to her, she started to speak,
"Since my son is going to be eight years old soon, in the fall he will attend the Royal Academy. We need to strengthen our position since today Consort Zhen gave birth to the Fifth Princess and Second Prince."

The First Prince immediately knew what his mother meant, "Rest assured Royal Mother, this son is already preparing with the mentors for the Royal Academy since last week."

"Good, thats my son. Thought you shouldn't already show your cards, – said Imperial Noble Consort Qi, – remember, your still the Eldest Son, and soon the legitimate. The Second Prince is still a newborn, by the time he is your age, you will be already Crown Prince and possibly with your own Mansion outside the Palace, with your wife and harem."

"Thank you, Royal Mother."

-

Jiao Wei woke up, still feeling quite tired, she tried to stand up to look around her, she saw her lover sleeping next to hear, in a simple chair, while having his hand resting on her's. As Jiao Wei looks behind the Emperor, she saw two little cribs, 'The babies! I almost forgot!'; the concubine looked with a smile at their children, like she remembered before passing our, both the babies had a fairy skin and were good looking, obviously they toke their traits both from their handsome father and pretty mother.

The Fifth Princess was soundly sleeping, while the Second Prince just woke up, as Jiao Wei noticed that, she took the Prince out of his crib and tried to hold him for the first time in her arms, she smiled looking at this son.
Meanwhile the Emperor woke up and smiled at the scene before his eyes; his beloved with their second child in her arms, both smiling at eachother.

"You finally woke up, my beloved."
Jiao Wei immediately looked at the Emperor, "How much time has passed?" she asked, since she immediately passed out after birthing ber son, she lost track of time. "It's midnight now, your servants are still up and will continue to guard you all night in case you might have any issue, the babies will be taken soon and put to sleep in the nursery, – said the Emperor, then he toke Jiao Wei's hands, – are you feeling alright? Do you have any pain or issue?"

The Emperor was concerned for his beloved, since she just woke up from a tiring and long labor; he was thinking to attend his concubine all night but the eunuch reminded him, "Your Majesty is the Emperor and son of heaven, the Emperor needs to rest to attend the morning court tomorrow."
So now the Emperor only waited for his concubine to wake up, then he will retire to his office, to finish his work then rest some hours before attending the morning court, usually held every three days, expect for emergencies, an hour after sunrise.

"This concubine feels alright just knowing that your Majesty and our children are alright, – said smiling Jiao Wei, – pin qie feels a little sleepy and will probably continue to rest now, please Your Majesty call the nannies in my stead to bring the Fifth Princess and Second Prince to the nursery."

The Emperor looked, full of worries, at Jiao Wei, meanwhile she was putting back the Second Prince in the crib, as she put her head in the pillow, the Emperor said, "We wanted to attend to you tonight, but duty comes first and since tomorrow morning the court will be held, this Emperor must retire for tonight."

"This concubine wanted to ask something to His Majesty before." said Jiao Wei, still holding the Emperor's hand, "Ask freely my beloved" he replied.
"Has Your Majesty already named the twins?"

"Yes, like we decided together, We named the Fifth Princess Hejing and the Second Prince YongZheng."

"Thank you, Your Majesty." Jiao Wei held even tighter the Emperor's hand, looking at him with one of her most beautiful smile ever.

-

The Dragon Hall is were the morning court was held, and also other important official events of the Emperor.
Currently, the day after the twins birth, the officials couldn't speak about anything other than the twins and Consort Zhen.
The Emperor just let the officials enter the Dragon Hall, and after bowing to the Monarch, the Prime Minister went in the center of the hall and began to speak, "Your Majesty, this subject gives his congratulations for the birth of the Fifth Princess and the Second Prince!"

Then the Prime Minister bowed, followed by all the officials, "Congratulations to His Majesty!"
The Emperor was smiling, "Good! Good! This Emperor was just to announce his Imperial Edict to the officials, – said the Emperor, – it was already spread trough the harem last night after the birth of the Royal children."

"Announcing the Imperial Edict of His Majesty the Emperor!", said the eunuch accompanying the monarch during this morning court, he repeated the decree about the titles of the Second Prince and the Fifth Princess, later he added about the new Palace of Consort Zhen.

"We accept the decree." said the officials, most of them were thankful the Emperor didn't promote her to Noble Consort, that would threaten what the Prime Minister's plan.

"Your Majesty the Emperor, this subject has an important issue to report to the Emperor." said the Prime Minister, who didn't return to his place after congratulating the Monarch.
"This Emperor gives permission to the Prime Minister to speak."

"This subject is worried about the Mother of the Nation, when will an Empress be enthroned? This subject would like to propose that in a year from now, the concubines from the rank of gui fei (t/n. Noble Consort) will partecipate in a selection for the Empress."

Meaning that only three people will compete with the throne, at this point, after Imperial Noble Consort Shuxian's death, (t/n. posthumous title of Noble Consort Shu.), the only concubines who will compete for the Empress position will be Imperial Noble Consort Qi, obviously, Noble Consort Xi, and another Noble Consort.
The Noble Consort title will be fought between Consort Zhen and Consort Hua surely, maybe another Consort if the Emperor promotes an Imperial Concubine.

The Emperor needed an Empress for sure, to stabilize the country. He wanted to make Jiao Wei his wife, but he didn't want her yet to hold such an heavy position, 'I will try to make her at least Noble Consort in a year, when the Empress will be crowned, I will promote my beloved to Imperial Noble Consort, – thought the Emperor, – I will try to calm the storm of the birth of the twins, and make Jiao Wei life more peaceful.'

"This Emperor thinks this is a great idea, this Emperor will start to make preparations three months before the day of the Selection."

All of the officials, hearing the Emperor's words, were quite happy and scared at the same time, since now that this announcement was made, the harem will become hell.

-

It was Midsummer, the Forbidden City was one of the hottest place in the capital right now; thanks to the high walls that protect the Imperial Palace, the wind that the peasants were enjoying couldn't be felt by Jiao Wei that, even after three months she had birthed the twins, she couldn't regain her past energy. So she was planning to summon Imperial Doctor Xu to ask him what she could do to regain her energy again and, mostly, how to survive this weather.

The nursery was replaced in the coldest room in Jiao Wei's Palace, since she was worried that they might get a summer cold; common but fatal for newborns. To escape the hot weather, the Emperor invited all his concubines to the Autumn Royal Palace, situated in the high mountains behind the Forbidden City.
It was build in the last dynasty to escape the hot days for the Royal family, and recently the Emperor restored the old palace in a luxurious Mansion with almost half the property begin the garden.

They will depart the next days, meanwhile some things happened in these three months: Noble Lady Gu was founded pregnant, currently she's two months, thus the Emperor promoted her to Imperial Concubine Rong. She was moved to the Pavillon of Great Benevolence, not a big Palace like Jiao Wei's one, but still luxurious and with a beautiful lake filled with koi fish and lotus flowers.

Also Jiao Wei's friends, Imperial Concubine Xian, was found pregnant, but already three months; she didn't notice her belly since it wasn't that big, and she exactly told to Jiao Wei, 'I didn't mind my missing period since from the start I didn't have a regular one, but I will treasure my child and do anything to protect him.'
Jiao Wei offered help to Ling Xue, but she refused saying that she has her maiden clan with her and also the Emperor's favor, they couldn't hurt her child so easily.

Meanwhile Jiao Wei was thinking about Ling Xue's words one month prior, she suddenly remembered the Emperor's words yesterday,
'I hope to have another child with you my beloved, also the Palace will be ready when we will return from the Autumn Palace.'

'If it's Buddha's will, this concubine also desire for another child.', that was Jiao Wei's answer, she didn't tell a lie, she just didn't point out when she wants a child, so she added the Buddha will at the start, since from now on she will pray to Buddha that she will let her enjoy at least the three years of life of the twins, without another child to take care for.

"NiangNiang! Nubi has three bad news and a good one!" it was one of the newest maid of Jiao Wei's Palace, since the latter took pity of her situation, she toke her to work in her Palace, since before she was one of the lowest ranking maids, their job was to wash the servants public bathrooms; such a dirty job for a little thirteen year old.

'What a luck!' thought Jiao Wei, trying to not cry out of desperation; since the Empress selection was announced, the harem was literally hell; something happened all days.

"Tell me, first the bad ones." replied Jiao Wei, lying on her couch. "Nubi reports that Second Class Female Attendant Wei was pregnant, she gave birth to the Third Prince but she died, the good news is that 'Since the Third Prince is Consort Zhen niece, he will be adopted by her', these were the Emperor words! Also Nubi heard that Consort Hua opposed since NiangNiang already has a son, while she has two Princesses; the Emperor punished her with house arrest for 30 days! She will not come to the Autumn Royal Palace!"

Jiao Wei didn't have time to process what happened in a span of an hour, that the maid continued to speak, "also Nubi heard that he will promote Third Prince's mother to Imperial Concubine Ning, and will be buried in the future mausoleum, and also the Emperor announced that the First Princess from the Mongolian tribe, sister of Imperial Concubine Jia, will enter the harem in two months, the King and the Queen sent her in hope to have stronger relations with the Emperor."

'Now things will be different, maybe even if I don't give birth to a son, I have three children right now, all of them have the Wei and Royal blood on their veins.', thought Jiao Wei.

But she didn't know something, that will make all her plans for the future useless.

-

this title's chapter was planned since jiao wei pregnancy was revealed, so i put more effort and i reached 4.4k words! I hope i will do more than this in the future :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Erica By Sam

Historical Fiction

2.7M 148K 88
They say her voice was once bewitching to all who heard it. She was like a siren luring sailors to their deaths on quiet nights... Those are just rum...
129K 5.2K 32
"you are just a replacement, don't except anything from me" he said "agreed" she said not even bothering him with a glance "you will be my wife in na...
5.7M 372K 74
Losing this war means captured by the enemy empire and considered as their prostitutes and servants. Dreaming that situation made my heart race even...
40.4K 2.4K 53
𝙰𝚗 𝚎𝚕𝚍𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚜 𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚊 𝚖𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛.. 𝙷𝚘𝚠 𝚠𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚊𝚟𝚜 𝚏𝚊𝚌𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚒𝚛...