Darkest Hour

By mimidemily

Discover what happens after Midnight killed Alyssa. [Disclaimer] I do not own any of the characters. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7

Chapter 6

265 8 9
By mimidemily

"I said no fighting!" yelled Hamish at both Jack and Gabrielle. Randall was trying to calm down Gabrielle while Hamish was still holding a grip on Jack's shirt.

"Get your hands off me" said Jack pushing Hamish away.

"Not until you calm yourself down" he replied giving him a look.

"Wow, did I miss something here?" said Lilith who was watching her friendq tear apart with Gabrielle who was now Midnight's champion.

"How did you know Gabrielle was Midnight?" asked Hamish turning around to look at her without releasing his grip.

"She had transformed when I found her. Totally ignored it was her until she turned back into a human. But what the heck? Gabrielle Duprés is not fit to be a Knight". Lilith was astonished how one of their worst enemy has turned into an ally, to eventually be chosen by Midnight.

"I don't get it" she explained to the others who were all looking at her, Gabrielle and Jack calmed down a bit.

"She wanted to belong" began Hamish.

"And she's not that bad" stated Randall still standing right next to Gabrielle in case she'd intent another attack against Jack.

"Says the one whose biggest fear is to fall for the enemy aka The Order members" laughed Lilith.

"You tell me" he replied, glancing at Nicole.

"Shut up" she cut him off. "What was this about anyway? Why is she trying to kill ya?" she then added looking at Jack.

"She is here and has a name in case you'd have forgotten" says Gabrielle irritated.

"Well, she killed Alyssa" replied Jack emphasizing the word "she" glaring at Gabrielle.

"What?!". Lilith's scream sounded more like a complaint than she wanted it to be, but she just learned she has lost her former best friend. "Not that it upsets me anyway, but why kill her?". She was building a facade like she was used to. Not in a million times she would have wished for Alyssa to be killed. She wasn't either willing to forgive her after all what had happened, but deep down she was feeling sad and upset her former best friend was gone.

"I don't know okay? Why y'all kept on asking? That wolf gets control over me, there's no way I could have stopped it. And now, I stink, have hairs and fur everywhere Ew! Just so we get our things straight: I did not ask for this to happen" said Gabrielle looking at each werewolf present in the room.

"You kinda did" whispered Randall giving her a small smile. But he stopped when she shut him up with one glare.

"I am sorry for Alyssa Jack, I did not know what I was doing" she then added taking a step towards him and surprising everyone at the same time. "Do I wish I could turn back time and undo what I've done? A thousand times. But you can't keep wandering ready to kill me at any time. And you, stop protecting me like I was some puppy" she frowned and looked up to find Randall's eyes.

"Now I don't want to hear from that oath until I can control that thing inside of me" she added and judging from her look this was not opened to debate.

"We'll see about that" started Hamish. "For now, we need to find Councilor Kepler".

"She's missing?" asked Nicole. This was the second time in less than an hour that she was acknowledging pretty heavy news about The Order.

"Oh, let me guess..." smirked Randall "...Vera wants us to find Councilor Kepler" he rephrased mocking Hamish and sounding annoyed at the same time.

Right when he had finished his phrase, Randall gulped and stopped talking.

"How are we supposed to locate her?". Nicole was starting to run out of options.

"Does somebody know anything or have any clue of where she could be?" added Jack looking at everyone.

Hamish shrugged, Lilith rolled her eyes and left the room, Nicole shook her head. Only Gabrielle and Randall stayed silent, Gabrielle searching for Randall's eye contact.

"What do you know Randall?" asked Hamish. Oh, he was no fool and knew how to read him like an open book after almost three years.

"Nothin'" he answered quickly.

"I don't believe you

- that makes us two" completed Jack after Hamish's remark.

"Wha--? I don't know anything guys" repeated Randall trying to sound cool.

"Spill it out you two" stated Jack looking at both his friend and Gabrielle.

"He told you he knows nothing about where Kepler might be. What wasn't clear enough for you? Plus he's been with me or at the manor for hours. Not like he could have sneaked out without anyone noticing" spat Gabrielle like she was some dog barking to protect its master. "Regarding me, I have no idea of where she went, I didn't even know she was missing until you told us. So, may I suggest we start searching for her right now. Or do you losers prefer to doubt Randall and lose Vera's precious time?".

"You may be a good liar but he is not" said Hamish pointing his finger to Randall.

"I'm a strong independent woman. I'm a smart ass and good at whatever I'm doing. I can be a bitch. So yeah, I am many things. But liar is not one of them" replied Gabrielle. These last words sounded more like a warning, telling Hamish and Jack not to push further.

They both nodded, not saying anything. Once the two of them plus Nicole have left the room, Randall looked at Gabrielle and smiled at her.

"You didn't have to do that" he said thanking her.

"That's me repaying you for taking care of me after I killed Alyssa" she whispered before giving a quick smile. Randall did not move, far too surprised by Gabrielle's attitude.

"Thank you" he mouthed.

"Anytime" she answered before leaving to meet with the rest of the pack.

___________________________________

"Is this your home?

- Yes. Why, don't you like it?" asked Vera surprised by Maddox question as she opened the front door she had had repaired after Alyssa and Salvador broke into her home a few days ago.

"No that's awesome" said the young boy almost amazed. "It is not as big as Dad's but it is definitely cooler than aunt Bitsy's" he added walking around the giant living room.

"Don't touch anything" said Vera a little bit too quickly. She was watching the boy while getting rid of her coat, bag and car keys.

"Yup, don't worry, I'll be careful".

He was sweet and polite she has no doubt about that. Edward might not have been the best fit to lead The Order because of his egoism and ambition but Vera knew he would give the best to Maddox. This included paying someone to take care of him and educate him the right way, having him spoil at some point, sharing moments with him. But on this last point Vera wasn't sure Edward has been very present in his son's life. At least not as much as he should have for Maddox to build a strong son-father relationship.

"I'll order pizza tonight. Any preference?" she asked him when she had finished cleaning up her stuff.

"Hawaiian please" he answered making Vera smile for a second or so.

"I'll show you the bathroom and your room if you want to rest while I make the phone call" she said before walking towards a corridor. Maddox followed her to a giant bedroom. The decoration was soft but matching perfectly the painting.

"Here you've got a towel and shower gel. The bathroom is the next door on your left" she then told him before walking out of the room. "Let me know if you need anything. We'll stop by Kepler's house tomorrow if you have to stay one more night to get you some clothes" she added. He nodded quietly.

An hour later, Maddox was showered and they were both sitting at the table eating their pizzas.

"Do you miss him?" asked Maddox to Vera who almost choked with her piece of pizza.

"Who?

- My dad. You used to work with him, don't you miss him at work?

- Well. We – I - uh - yeah, we miss him a bit" she began not knowing what to say to the boy. The truth was she wasn't regretting Edward at all. No, not one bit. But how was she supposed to tell a 10yo that his father got what he deserved and that she, and The Order, would be the last to help him get back to this world?

- Was he a bad guy?". His question broke Vera's heart. She did not have a huge amount of sympathy for Edward kids because she didn't spend too much time with him, but the fact that he may think of his father like the evil he was, was kind of sad coming from a young boy.

"Your father was a complicated man" she told him precociously. "He had a bigger ambition than he should have had and that is what caused him to lose everything he had, including you".

"He would be proud of the young boy you've become" she continued. "And so would be your mother" she said before taking a sip of her red wine.

"How did you know my mother?" wanted to know Maddox. He has known Vera for more than he can remember because she has always been working for his father, but he wasn't sure of how she knew his mother.

"Your mother was like a teacher to me" answered Vera. Of course, she wasn't talking about The Order to the boy since he was not supposed to know the existence of the society. But she wouldn't lie to him either. "She taught me lots of things, and so did your father after. I liked her" she surprised herself with the sincerity with which she was talking to the boy.

"Time to go to bed now" said Vera. Even though she was appreciating not being alone, she was not at ease sharing her personal life with some kid she would probably never see again.

"I'll pick you up at school tomorrow before going to the University

- Night" said Maddox making his way to his room.

"Goodnight. Sleep well". 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 119 50
Life is no bed of roses for Emma Rodriguez. In fact, she deems it nothing short of hell. When a friend of hers has a hands on experience with the su...
37.2K 935 39
Y/N Nova Stone is starting her freshmen year at Belgrave University. She had no intention of being apart of two secret societies. All she wanted was...
187K 3.9K 23
the run away didn't go looking for love. lower case intended. [book one] *i do not own any of twilight. just my characters and their thoughts*
12.8K 217 55
Still recovering from a devastating loss, the pack must trek on as new threats surface. Feelings are admitted, old aquaintances return, and things c...