The Legend of Zelda: Twilight...

By Walk-the-Dragon-Wing

(A sequel to the game LoZ Twilight Princess) Link's adventure is over. His story is finished. He did all the... More

The Mirror of Twilight
I Knew You Once...
The Queen of the Twilit Hall
Perpetual Twilight
An Unexpected Entrance
Following to Ruin
Return of the Wolf
On a Stormy Sea of Moving Emotions
Leave the Light On
Addressing the People
Reunions
I Want Some Answers
The Golden Shade
Midna's Request
Con
Gifts of Twilight
It's a Secret to Everyone
A Practical Test of Grounding
The Desert
Gerudo's Keep
An Oasis
Extensive Test of Strength
Time for a Break
Boss Battle
We Were Born of Nightmares
Return of Twilight
Choose Your Players
Just Come Home Safely
Sweet Dreams
We Live in a Twilight World
And There Are No Friends at Dusk
The Battle of Hyrule Field
Courage to Stand Against the Powerful
Link's Desperation
Walk the Dragon Wing
The Red Owl
Chamber of the Damned
One More Chance
After the Storm
Epilogue

Beware, O Hero Chosen by the Goddesses

81 3 0
By Walk-the-Dragon-Wing

"Hoo boy, y'all can herd 'em! That must be a new record!" Fado cheered as Link locked the stable. Maybe it was a record, but the sky was also steadily approaching dark. Link had spent way more time at the ranch than he had planned. Fado hadn't been kidding when he said he'd gotten some wild goats. Wild might have even been an understatement.

"Really, y'all have some sort of talent here."

"I have a talent for goat herding?" Link tried not to sound sarcastic as he got on Epona.

"Yes. I haven't met anyone with skills like you an' Epona have."

"How many other goat herders do you know?" Link was genuinely curious.

"Still, y'all got the gift," Fado said gruffly, angry at what seemed like an insult.

"Maybe you're right," Link said with a soft sigh. He waved goodbye.

"It was nice hangin' out like we used to, Link," Fado called, but Link had already rode Epona into the village and was out of earshot.

Link rode through the town swiftly, waving to the few people he saw. He didn't really see them, he was too deep in the thoughts that took over him like a bad storm.

Perhaps he should just become a goat herder like Fado. Forget about the legacy of being the Goddesses chosen hero. Maybe things could go back to normal then. Maybe he could forget about Midna then. Maybe then he could feel a sense of completion instead of the nagging sense of unfinished business that still plagued him.

A bright light flashed in his eyes, like the sun reflected off of something shiny. Stopping Epona, Link looked around. Nothing shiny, yet the light still proceeded to annoy him.

He flicked his wrist, using the reins to urge Epona forward. He stopped again, having now found what was messing with his vision. The triforce, its golden beauty etched into the back of his left hand, the top most point a little below his knuckles. One of the three triangles glowed brighter than the rest. Link rubbed it with his hand furiously. The Goddesses just wouldn't leave him alone. Not even for a second to feel bad about everything and consider his life choices!? What did they want now? Was there danger? Had something happened? Or were the Goddesses just reminding him they were there?

Link sighed and stopped his pointless rubbing. He shifted his shirt sleeve so that it hid the burning mark.

"Come on Epona, let's get going." A faint triangle glowed through the thick cloth of his sleeve. Link ignored it as best as he could, focusing instead on guiding his horse forward.

They rode past the spring and to the gate leading to the forest. Link thought briefly of stopping and looking for Ilia, but he quickly dismissed the idea. It wouldn't be long until the glowing rainbow of sunset and from there the all consuming dark cloak of night. It could be dangerous traveling at night. The sooner he left the better.

"Yo, Link! What took you so long? We've been waiting here since early morning." Three villagers stood around a wagon filled with large orange pumpkins. Link glanced at all of them. Jaggle looked annoyed and was shifting a heavy bundle that was hoisted over his shoulder so he could be more comfortable. Pergie, with her brown hair tied back by a red bandana, was lifting her son, Talo, into the wagon. Talo, a boy full of energy and a tendency to raise cain, had been a bit downcast as of late. His younger brother Malo had started a business in Kakariko Village, which meant they had grown distant. Talo wasn't sure what to do without his brother. He'd started helping out with the family pumpkin business, much to everyone's surprise.

"I am sorry. Is everyone ready to go now?" Link asked. He felt guilty, even though if the villagers had been in such a hurry it wouldn't have taken long to find him.

"Ready," Jaggle agreed. Link got off Epona and walked to the front of the wagon. He checked to make sure the goat was hooked up properly. Then he nodded, satisfied that they were ready to go.

Pergie gave her husband a kiss and her son a hug, then waved and walked back towards the village. Jaggle took his seat at the front of the wagon.

"Let's go!" The goat slowly began to pull the wagon forward. Link locked the gate behind them.

After crossing a long wooden bridge that creaked under their weight but didn't break, they went through a thick, wild, green forest. Link rode Epona in front of the wagon, scanning the trees. It was rare to find anything here, the monkeys did a good job of ridding the forest of baddies. But out on the open fields that surrounded the castle, that was a different story. The open fields tended to have the occasional hobgoblins and sometimes worse monsters. That's why Link was there. Just in case something bad happened to come along and pick a fight.

"Hey Ordonian guy!" the man who sold lantern oil in a clearing in the forest yelled, waving Link over.

"Hello Coro," Link said with a slight smile.

"See, it's a bit late for travel. Do I need to remind you that just because it's daylight now, doesn't mean it will be safe when the night comes? I thought you were smarter than this."

"Did you wave me over for a lecture or...?"

"Straight to business! Do you need a refill, guy? Do you have enough lantern oil with you? Bad things happen when you get stuck in the dark."

"We should be fine. Have a nice evening Coro." They moved on. Jaggle and Talo chatted quietly. Link didn't listen, he was too busy trying to avoid thinking about Midna by focusing on non existent dangers. Non existent dangers such as bulblin archers high up in the trees and clever traps hidden in the foliage. The dangers such as that wouldn't have bothered him if Midna were around. Even when monsters twice his size battled him, Midna had alway helped him to win. She was so smart and able to point out the weakness of every monster with a teasing smile. Not only was she smart, she was also beautiful. The most beautiful woman Link had ever met. Smart, beautiful, and farther away than any measure of distance could account for. He'd never see her again.

"We should stop and light some lanterns," Link said with a small sigh when they reached the fields. The sun had set, but the moon had yet to make an appearance so all was dark. Jaggle fumbled with the knobs on his lantern for a few moments before a warm glow dispelled some of the night around them. Link had already lit his own lantern and secured it to his belt.

"Let's keep moving." Link pulled his sword out, the metal gleaming in the flickering light. He felt uneasy, like something was wrong. As though something lurked in the stretched shadows, waiting to make a move. The glow of the triforce penetrating both his glove and shirt sleeve wasn't helping the matter. In fact, it only served to make him more wary.

There was a loud roar in the distance, followed by vicious laughter. Link looked back at Jaggle and Talo, judging their reactions. Scared and nervous. Link couldn't guarantee their safety if a big group of hobgoblins attacked, especially if the seemingly immortal king of the bulblin was among their ranks.

"We will go to the great bridge." Link referred to The Great Bridge of Hylia, where a guard was usually posted. A guard who was hopefully capable of protecting Jaggle and Talo while Link dealt with the hobgoblins...and whatever else was out there. Not that Link had much faith in the royal guards... Not anymore.

Letting Epona guide herself, Link put away his sword and looked through his pockets. He knew it was there somewhere. It had to be, he'd seen it that morning. Ah ha! He pulled out a scroll tied with a blue ribbon. The scroll was a written letter from Princess Zelda, naming Link as Light's Champion. It was a title he was pretty sure she'd made up on the spot. But at least it meant that the guard wouldn't question his permission to be there, being too busy pondering if the name was the real thing.

"Look there! What's that?!" Talo yelled, pointing towards the great bridge. Link looked up. A golden creature climbed down from the stoned archway that led to the great bridge. Its pointed nose sniffed at ground, kicking up dust, and its clawed feet sunk into the dirt as it stepped off the stone. It glowed with a brightness like a golden fire, like a brilliant lone star in a murky sky. Golden fur protruded from its back in spikes with wicked points. Its red eyes stared hungrily at the wagon. The golden creature started to walk forward, slowly and calmly. It barred a striking resemblance to a Light Spirit. Yet it wasn't like any other Light Spirit Link had met and he'd met all four. What was this creature?

"I'm scared," Talo whimpered quietly to himself, probably wishing he'd thought to bring his toy sword with.

"It's going to be alright, Talo," Link spoke in a soft and reassuring voice. "You both stay here, behind me, and I'll check what's going on."

"Link, don't leave us... That monster clearly has evil intent," Jaggle told him firmly. A nervous glint akin to fear shone in his eyes as he looked between Link and the golden creature.

Link shook his head slightly and urged Epona forward. "Golden creature! What is it that you want?" he called out, waving his hand in a way that he hoped signaled that he wasn't a threat and didn't intend to harm the creature.

'I need...' A gravelly voice filled Link's head, making him wince. 'I need death.' It opened its mouth and let out a deafening cry. Stuck in its teeth was the shining metal of armor. One of the guards who had once watched over the great bridge... Jaggle was right, this monster had not wanted peace. It wanted death.

Link turned towards the wagon and shouted, "Go! Get to the castle, the central path should be fastest! Go!"

"Be safe," Talo begged as his father started to turn the wagon around.

"Likewise," a whispered good luck. Link waited till the pair were a safe distance away before he turned back to the light monster. He took a deep, calming breath, trying to erase his anger. Why did violence always have to be the answer! Epona knew what she was doing, leading him closer to the monster while still staying a safe distance away, so Link was free to find his bow.

'Do you dare challenge me?' The gravelly voice, the one Link now associated with the light monster, crowded his thoughts. Another deep breath and the stranger's thoughts vanished. Link pulled back the tight cord of his bow and took aim.

Twang! The monster roared out in pain as the arrow lodged into its glaring red eye. The monster let out a deafening wail, slobber going far enough to cover Link and Epona. Link wiped his face before nocking another arrow, this one with a bomb cleverly concealed in the tip.

Twang! The flash of light caused by the explosion was nothing compared to the light flickering off this monster. Stone crumbled from the bridge as Link's shot went wide.

The bang from the explosion angered the creature and in its rage it started to shake. Pointy bits of fur ejected from its back, shooting off in all directions. A large hair stabbed Epona in the leg and she pitched forward. Link jumped off as she skidded painfully to a stop. Link himself had bits of hair that had sliced through his clothes and were sticking out of his skin. He quickly noted this before getting back to the battle at hand. Sure it hurt, but he had enough experience with battle to know how to ignore irritating pain until after the danger had passed.

Link brought out his shield and used it to block some of the shooting fur from Epona as he ripped out the chunk from her leg. It crumbled to a fine powder in his hands.

"Go Epona. Go," he told her gently as she started to stand. Epona neighed in response and limped away. Ilia was going to kill him for letting Epona get so hurt. Epona looked back. I'm sorry I wasn't more help friend, her eyes seemed to say.

Once Link was sure she was going to make it to safety, he turned back to the monster. With his shield slung across his arm and left hand tightly gripping his sword, he walked forward determinedly. He was unafraid of the fur hurtling towards him.

"This thing is just like any other monster," he whispered to himself. "It has a weak spot." Now all he had to do was find out what the weakness was. As he walked a forward march, his eyes assessed the monster. It kept shooting its fur in all directions with careless ease.

"If it keeps shooting fur like that, it'll run out. I just have to wait." It wasn't until Link was close enough to smell the monster's rotting breath that it ran out of fur. Its skin was a sickly pale, so light it was almost transparent. A mass of pulsing, shifting, growing purple accented by pink lines could be seen just underneath the skin. The fur embedded in Link's own skin and shield fell to the ground in a cloud of golden dust.

Link rushed forward, his shield sliding off his arm in his hurry. It didn't matter though, the monster was as good as dead and Link wouldn't need protection from it anymore.

Link slashed, only to have his sword bounced from his hand by a strand of the creature's fur. The thing was covered in its golden fur again. In the few seconds it had taken Link to run over, the monster had regrown all of its hair. All of it, but this time thicker and stronger.

Link, realizing he had left his shield behind and had no protection, turned and ran. But he was too slow. The monster grabbed him with its clawed hand. Its pointy nails dug into Link's soft flesh and blood dripped to the ground as he was lifted up. Link struggled, kicking with his feet. His attempts to escape only caused the claw to tighten. He started to scream, but stopped, not wanting to draw others to their death with his cries.

The monster brought Link to its nose and sniffed. The triforce on his hand lit up and glowed blindingly. The monster snarled in disgust, the triforce reflected in its red eyes, and threw Link.

One minute he was soaring through the air, free as a falcon. The next he was slamming into the ground. His body screamed at him as he brought his trembling self back to standing. He clutched his right side tightly in an effort to stop the blood that flowed freely from there and he leaned heavily on his left leg.

That is when, with a wicked roar, the monster began to shake again. Link fell quickly back to the ground in an effort to protect himself. Large chunks of fur stuck out of his back as he searched the area for anything that would help. There! Something shiny and blue in the grass not more than ten feet away. His foolishly forgotten shield! He crawled forward as far off the ground as he dared. It was slow going, he gritted his teeth against the pain of movement and the bits of fur still burrowed in his skin. Yet he made it. His hand reached forward to grab the beautiful shield when something hard hit him on the head. He fell sideways, unconscious. His fallen hand barely grazed the edge of the shield. His green clothes were now scarlet with blood. He was as good as gone.

The light monster could tell, it stopped its shaking and crept forward slowly. It didn't need to hurry, it had already won.

A loud rumbling sound rocked the earth and the ground beneath Link opened up. He fell down into the darkness, the ground sealing itself up behind him. The creature raised its head to the sky and howled in anger. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6K 189 11
The legend of the hero, Link, the Goddess reborn, Zelda, and evil reincarnate, Ganon has been ingrained in the history of Hyrule from its very incept...
11.1K 296 45
On a journey to save his sister, a boy is caught in a struggle older than the great sea. ====== One thousand years ago, the greatest hero of all Time...
9.9K 296 26
"Princess!" he yelled after her. "Where are you going?" "Back to the castle," she replied without stopping. "Not by yourself you're not!" "I'm sorry...
6.3K 161 62
Time has passed. Hyrule is getting rebuilt. Zelda on the other hand is not quite sure what to do. She is no longer a princess, She's a queen with res...