Ignite

By Skylar-Black

WATTPAD FEATURED NOV 2020 AND OCT 2021 - FROM OUR STARS LIST WATTPAD MULTICULTURAL FEATURED SEP 2022 - AUSTRA... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
~ Interval: Day 55 ~
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
~ Interval: Day 56 ~
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
~ Interval: Day 59 ~
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
~ Interval: Day 74 ~
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
~ Interval: Day 81 ~
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
~ Interval: Day 101 ~
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
~ Interval: Day 128 ~
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
~ Interval: Day 156 ~
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
~ Interval: Day 168 ~
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Characters

Chapter 3

958 118 118
By Skylar-Black

The rest of the morning passes uneventfully.

Emmy has been in all of my classes, her short, wavy bob flicking back and forth as she introduces me to teacher after teacher. I'm somewhat confused by the loyalty she's bestowed on me, but I can't complain.

Her chatter is enough to drown my nerves and redirect some stares, and when she asks if I want to have lunch together, I agree.

She leads me to the school oval, and the moment I step onto the dirt, I scour the other side of the fence. There are hundreds of boys over there, running around, playing rugby, tackling each other.

Emmy senses my sudden interest and glances at me.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, fine. Just looking for Jake."

She raises an eyebrow in question.

"My brother."

"Oh. Well, he might not be out yet," she says, leading me to a patch of grass by the fence. "You're twins, yeah? The Year 11 and 12 boys have gym before lunch on Mondays and sometimes they get held back."

"Oh." Disappointment floods me. "Okay."

"Don't worry. I'm sure he'll be out soon."

And then she launches into a lecture about our science teacher, explaining the do's and don'ts of conversing with a self-proclaimed 'trigger-happy detention giver'.

I nod, humming in acknowledgement, but I hardly hear her. Instead, I'm focused on the other side of that fence, my heart aching for just one glimpse of Jake.

That is, until a girl walks toward us and distracts me. She's undoubtedly beautiful, with long legs and thick, black hair, but there's something unusual about her — about the way the light plays off her skin, brightening some patches and darkening others.

As she draws closer, I realise the light has nothing to do with it, and instead, she's actually covered in vitiligo. Her arms, her legs, her face. All covered with patches of albino skin.

"Hey Em," the girl says, and she sits down in front of me.

"Aleisha! Meet Claude. She just moved here. Today's her first day."

Aleisha smiles at me, and I make myself focus on her eyes instead of the patterns surrounding them.

"Hi."

Her voice is melodic, the kind you could fall asleep to.

"Hi, nice to meet you."

Emmy grins like I've said the best thing in the world and grabs Aleisha's arm.

"Isn't Claude gorgeous? She's going to be a great little addition to our group. We don't have a blonde yet."

Aleisha smiles. "You're too focused on image, Em."

"Well, someone has to be. Not all of us believe in the power of inner beauty like you do."

Emmy turns to me.

"Aleisha's an amazing singer. Mr. Collins reckons she'll win the National Eisteddfod this year. I—"

A yell erupts from the boys' oval and we turn, squinting at the commotion.

At first, all I can see is movement, hundreds of feet running in the same direction, but then the chanting reaches me.

Fight. Fight. Fight. Fight.

"Ugh, how immature," Emmy says, and she turns away.

But I don't, not yet.

Because a puddle of dread has formed at the bottom of my stomach, and when the crowd parts, and I get a glance at who's at the centre, that puddle turns into a full-blown flood.

"Aleisha, do you think we should — Claude! What are you doing?"

Emmy's voice rises to a screech of surprise as I jump up and scale a tree lining the fence, landing on the other side.

"Claudia!"

Emmy and Aleisha run up to the fence, staring at me with wild eyes.

"You're not allowed over there!" Emmy hisses. "You're going to get into—"

But I'm not listening anymore. Instead, I'm sprinting across the dirt; straight towards the crowd that has gathered to watch my brother get the shit punched out of him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 8.6K 60
"I don't trust your people." "I'm not asking you to trust them. I'm asking you to trust me." ◇Highest Rank: #2 in Journey, #8 in StrongFemaleLead...
86.3K 3.9K 56
XXXXXXTriggerWarningXXXXXX -self harm -PTSD -smut - swearing -past abuse -slight memory loss -anorexia -rape -major character...
207K 9.5K 52
-COMPLETED- For the past five years, Whitney Parks has been in foster care. Upon turning eighteen, her brother Levi invites her to live with him, a...
2.9K 382 62
Best friends, Izzy and Em, have been star pupils at their all girls boarding school Watford High on Sydney's North Shore for years. Since joining cla...