King of Locusts | ✔

By Aegys-Athena

Lunan Frost was accustomed to the unusual, having been raised by witches for parents that fervently worship t... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Epilogue
The Priestess & The Wizard Part 1
The Priestess & The Wizard Part 2
Gadreel's Fall

Chapter 7

3 0 0
By Aegys-Athena

Lunan told Gabriel about his loneliness and bullying, and Gabriel listened. It wasn't until the words started flowing that Lunan realized how much he missed the company of another. The first time that they talked on that warm summer day, Lunan flushed after Gabriel's departure. But when the man returned and seemed no less interested in the boy's words, his nervousness faded. Gabriel was content in listening, choosing to divulge little information about himself. Although Lunan appreciated having a confidant, he worried about dominating the conversation. He mentioned his concern to Gabriel during one of their talks.

"I'd rather listen to you, Lunan. You have a lot to say and no one here to share it with. Part of being friends is hearing out the other's problems," he answered easily.

Lunan smirked. "Oh, we're friends? How presumptuous of you."

Gabriel matched his expression. "I'm not here to be a therapist, so I'd like to think that we're becoming friends." Lunan laughed, appreciating the snark.

Lunan and Gabriel reconvened at various locations, one of their favorites being the local ice cream shop. Gabriel liked it for their selection, and Lunan liked it because it was there that he had the confidence to direct their conversations. Although Lunan accepted Gabriel's reserved nature, he eventually got him to open up. He learned that Gabriel was in his late twenties and made his living through calculated investments and a healthy inheritance. He came from a large family, but wasn't close with his siblings. He could retire now if he wanted, having already amassed a comfortable fortune, but he worked from home as a programmer to keep himself engaged.

They were at the ice cream shop the day when Lunan asked Gabriel about his thoughts on family. He hoped Gabriel would be willing to answer, but wouldn't push him.

Thankfully, he was willing, and after eating another scoop of mint, he answered, "I've thought about settling down and starting a family, but I struggle with forming real relationships. I decided that I shouldn't have to wait for a partner before forming one, and that's why I started visiting orphanages."

"And yet since meeting me, you haven't visited other orphanages, nor have you taken interest in anyone else at Higgins'."

"I thought my intentions were clear by now, but I'll be blunt," Gabriel said with a smile. "I'd like to adopt you."

Lunan's heart swelled then sank. The images of kind faces and warm smiles uttering those same words swirled through his mind. The frustration from Mary informing him of their abandonment soon followed. Gabriel's eyes flickered to the cone breaking within Lunan's tight grip. Lunan carefully loosened his hold. He wanted nothing more than to leave that place, but he didn't want the ghosts to harm Gabriel.

"I'd like that very much," Lunan said with a sigh. "But I can't accept your offer with good conscience knowing what happens to everyone who has made similar promises."

"Explain." Gabriel set his cup aside.

Lunan turned to look out the window, afraid of what might lurk in Gabriel's eyes after his explanation. "You're not the first person to take interest in adopting me. Every other person who has turned their backs on me during the process. It wasn't because they suddenly lost interest, but because they were affected by something. They would get bad dreams and omens, and things would start going wrong in their lives." He paused, thinking of Heather. "I can't explain why, but I firmly believe that I'm the cause of their unease."

"Is that why you hid in the library when I first visited the orphanage, or were you particularly repulsed by me?"

Lunan snorted in spite of himself. "It wasn't you. I thought it was better to stay away from others." He chanced a look at Gabriel and was surprised to see the clarity there, his expression open.

"I've visited you for over a month without incident," Gabriel noted. Lunan noticed this as well and wondered why the spirits refrained from harassing the man. "If there was a problem, wouldn't it have happened by now? I appreciate your concern, but I can handle myself. I know you don't want to be there until you're eighteen, and I want to give you another chance at living a normal life. From our talks, you seem to carry a lot of unnecessary guilt; gentle reminder that you don't deserve any of what happened to you." He looked severe then, but eased his expression when Lunan shrank back into the stool.

"There are younger children here, ones less damaged," Lunan muttered.

"People that I have no connection to and who will probably be adopted soon anyway," he countered, then fixed Lunan with a firm stare. "I'll only offer one more time. Would you like me to take you away from this place?"

Lunan shot him a droll stare. "You know that I don't have much of a choice here. Of course I'd like you to adopt me." His expression sobered as he added, "Promise me that you won't abandon me. I can't deal with the rejection anymore."

"I promise, Lunan. You won't be alone."

The adoption process officially began a few weeks later. Lunan knew it would take some time, but he didn't expect it to take over three months. Apparently, that was actually an expedited timeframe so that Lunan could start school at the same time as his future classmates. The promise of a fresh start gave Lunan the needed energy to endure the last ninety days at Higgins' Orphanage.

It was the beginning of September when Lunan stood outside the orphanage for the last time. Mary smiled widely as she helped him with his luggage.

"Thank you," Lunan said during their quick embrace.

"Think nothing of it, Lunan. It was a pleasure," she said as she squeezed him tightly.

Gabriel's house was about an hour's drive from the orphanage. Although 'house' was an understatement. The home loomed over them as the car approached, it being approximately half the size of Higgins'. Lunan was quiet during the ride, awestruck at the mansion he now called home.

Lunan pushed the heavy oak door open and turned the lock with a sigh. He kicked off his shoes at the doorway as he shuffled further into his home. It was about six months since Gabriel adopted him, and despite his initial reservations, Lunan eventually came to view the massive place as his own. At first, he felt lonelier at Gabriel's residence than at Higgins', much to his own surprise. Despite lacking real friends at the orphanage, there were at least a few people that acknowledged his existence. But at his new home, it was only him and Gabriel most of the time. The loneliness still bothered Lunan, but he reasoned through his discontent. He reminded himself that Gabriel was probably even lonelier, and that helped him with consolidating his feelings.

"Welcome back. We should be having a guest over for dinner, by the way." Gabriel's voice made Lunan jerk in surprise. Speaking of said devil, Lunan found him in the living room sharpening one of his collector's knives while staring absentmindedly at the TV.

"No problem," Lunan said. "I'm going to do my homework now." Gabriel gave him a thumbs-up.

As much as he wanted to relax and use the console Gabriel recently gifted him, Lunan knew better and started his homework. He quickly settled into his work, mind trailing as he did the repetitive assignments. Against his will, he found his adopter on his mind once more.

Despite taking him in and providing him with more than he asked for, Lunan felt that their relationship had not deepened any further. He knew that Gabriel didn't adopt him for monetary reasons given his immense wealth, and that abated some of his unease. Although Lunan didn't know them personally, he had heard of children returning to the orphanage for that reason. While Lunan didn't expect Gabriel to replace his parents and appreciated that he reciprocated the sentiment, he would have liked it if Gabriel opened himself more.

As he finished long division and moved onto English, Lunan's thoughts shifted to his other experiences since leaving the orphanage. Domestic loneliness aside, Lunan's quality of life markedly improved. For starters, he wasn't bullied at his new school; in fact, he was somewhat popular. His peers found his heterochromia fascinating and his eyes became the subject of many humorous rumors. His love of sport bolstered his ability to make friends as well. No one in the town of Delcastle knew of his past, their knowledge limited to what Lunan willingly shared.

After he finished his homework, Lunan reached for his controller. He failed to hear the doorbell over the console's start up tone. He was absorbed in his games when Gabriel called him down for dinner. Lunan pushed the controller away with a sigh, but was ensnared by the concoction of spices and aromas wafting from the kitchen.

"What are we having?" he asked while descending the stairwell.

"Shrimp and sausage jambalaya," came Gabriel's answer. "Our guest is here by the way."

Oh, right. Lunan schooled his features to cordial kindness.

He was so preoccupied by his thoughts that he forgot Gabriel's earlier mention. Occasionally, Gabriel would bring a date over for dinner, but things rarely progressed beyond that. Lunan could see it in their eyes, male and female, that Gabriel's dates had money on their minds when interacting with him.

It seemed like tonight's guest was just like the others, Lunan noted as he observed the stranger in the foyer.

Just as Lunan smothered his irritation, so too did the man before him. However, he was too slow, and Lunan noted his disdainful expression. He shrugged inwardly, then extended a hand.

"I'm Lunan. Nice to meet you."

"Charles. Are you Gabriel's child? He didn't mention anything about having kids." He had a disarming smile, but his eyes belied his thoughts.

Lunan shifted awkwardly, drawing his hand back to his side. He didn't see himself as Gabriel's child, and wasn't about to explain that to a stranger, especially one like this.

Thankfully, Gabriel came to the rescue, emerging from the kitchen with napkin-wrapped silverware in hand. "Lunan is my ward. I didn't deem it necessary to disclose that information so soon," he explained easily while Charles blushed. "Dinner is ready. You two can come to the dining room."

Charles's gaze swept around the room, enraptured by the luxury of the space. Lunan rolled his eyes. He understood the awe, but he didn't want to share his place with the likes of him.

"You have a beautiful home, Gabriel," Charles said as he sat around the table. "The jambalaya looks amazing. You really don't have any kind of housekeeping here?"

"Thank you! I got the recipe the last time I visited New Orleans, and no, I have no staff," he confirmed. "I don't see the point in being waited upon when I am more than capable of doing so myself."

Lunan couldn't help but close his eyes in pleasure as he ate the dish and its flavors danced in his mouth. Whether he prepared American or international cuisine, Gabriel's cooking never failed to impress. Despite his youth, Gabriel seemed to have traveled the world; Lunan lost count of the number of dishes he introduced him to after a few months.

He glanced at Charles. Loathe as Lunan was to his presence, he figured Gabriel might be more transparent with a guest present.

"How have you visited so many places? Did your parents take you on vacations since you were a kid?" Lunan asked. Charles perked in interest.

"I've just had a lot of time to travel, is all," Gabriel answered, cutting his eyes to his plate.

Lunan frowned. Twenty-eight years was hardly a long time.

'Why did you adopt me in the first place if you don't want to get closer to me? Do you feel like you have to do this because you knew my parents?' was what he wanted to say.

Instead, he held his tongue, smiled lightly, and added a good chuckle to dispel the tension. Lunan focused on his meal and tuned out the conversation that bubbled between Gabriel and his date. He excused himself after eating and spent the remainder of the evening in his room. While Charles wasn't the worst of Gabriel's guests, Lunan hoped their paths wouldn't cross again.

The following morning, Gabriel had a surprise for Lunan.

"What's this?" Lunan asked between hurried bites of cereal. He eyed the flat, thin box Gabriel placed before him.

"Open it and see," he prompted.

Lunan swallowed the burgeoning protest in his throat. He already woke up late and the bus would arrive soon. Although he would have preferred to leave the item until he returned from school, he reached for it after setting his breakfast aside. Inside the box was a braided leather bracelet with black, white, and gray bands woven around each other. The ends of the leather were encased in a deep copper finish.

"It's beautiful," Lunan whispered. His heart melted at the brimming warmth in Gabriel's smile.

"I'm very glad that you like it. I'd like you to wear it," he said. "It's adjustable, so you should be able to use it for a while. I had it custom made for you and each color has a certain meaning in mind. The black represents the difficulties you've faced so far. I would imagine the present feels like a murky gray, but you have the potential for a bright future."

Lunan's eyes welled with unshed tears as he held onto every word of Gabriel's explanation.

"Thank you," he said, his tongue thick with emotion. As he slipped the bracelet on, his worries about Gabriel's coldness diminished.

His classmates fawned over the accessory, and some of the teachers even commented on its beauty. Unintentionally, Gabriel contributed towards Lunan's ever-increasing popularity.

The night's dinner was cilantro lime rice, grilled chicken, and a vegetable medley. Similar to previous occasions, Gabriel was a bit distant again, opting to listen and contributed minimally as they ate. But it no longer bothered Lunan, who beamed and chatted animatedly during the meal.

Although he had an exceptional day, even Lunan's positivity positivity couldn't allow the full twenty-four hours to pass without issue. He slept poorly that night, and when he awoke the following morning, his body felt as if it pulled an all-nighter. Lunan chalked it up to his excitement preventing him from getting adequate rest and pushed through the remainder of the day.

However, he felt worse the following morning. His body ached and he genuinely struggled to get out of bed. He considered asking Gabriel if he could take the day off, but worried that his reasoning wouldn't suffice. Lunan was unused to feeling unwell. When his parents were alive, his father would have a tincture or concoction to heal any ailment he suffered, and they quickly cleared his symptoms. He sighed, mourning the loss of that luxury. Lunan ground through the day, motivating himself with the coming weekend and the ability to sleep for as long as his body required. Gabriel noticed Lunan's unusually subdued nature that day, but the boy waved him off, preferring to shoulder the temporary discomfort alone.

On the third day, Lunan prepared to wince through the morning, but was surprised to wake up in considerably less pain. A relieved sigh left him as he stretched his body and only felt a dull ache. He stayed in the bed for a while, opting to enjoy the peaceful morning with the comfort of his gaming console. Lunan was unsure of how much time had passed when he finally stopped playing, but what he did know is that he had to relieve himself.

He stopped in his tracks as he crossed the threshold from his room to the hallway. His reflection paralyzed him. Between the bedroom and the hallway was a full-length mirror, and in it, Lunan saw bruises covering swaths of his skin and running down his arms. With shaking hands, he lifted his T-shirt, revealing additional bruises mottling his body. He turned around, and caught more marks near his shoulder blades. Lunan bore a grimace as he quickly pulled his shirt back down.

"What the hell..." Lunan whispered. His instinct was to call out to Gabriel, but he shook his head violently, dispelling the thought. If his guardian saw these marks, Lunan wouldn't be able to explain their cause. The thought of being sent back to Higgins' solidified his choice.

Lunan smiled ruefully in spite of himself. Although he had no way to confirm his beliefs, he knew that this development had something to do with the otherworldly phenomena that occurred around him. It didn't matter that he escaped the Ravager's blade, nor did his leaving the orphanage have a true effect on him. It seemed he could never escape the supernatural forces dictating his life.

***

Please vote/comment if you're enjoying the story so far! It helps with getting my story out to even more people.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

826 35 22
STATUS: COMPLETED ✓ Even an ordinary flower would wilt if it was away from the light for too long. What's more for a unique flower with a mysterious...
77K 2.7K 75
A girl was left on a doorstep when she was only a baby. When she was found by the owners of the house there was also a letter found with her. It told...
12.7K 617 25
An initiate angel prophesied to save the world, and a low-class demon send to stop her. But something about it all doesn't sound alright. And for som...
2.6K 82 14
It's been two months since Luna ran away to achieve her dream, but things only went down hill from there. She's been homeless since the family she wa...