The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburรฐarsonr

Idiocy

770 25 7
By Skipology

Khaana watched as Uhtred and Brida prepared their horses for travel, when Uhtred turned to her, he knelt to her level "I can't believe I'm saying this but I need you to stay here." Uhtred told her. "of course, to watch Alfred?" Khaana murmured in his mind. Uhtred gave a nod, looking around "I do not trust the look in his eyes, and maybe you can win a few hearts over for me." He said.

Khaana chuckles "that, I can do. You be careful, do not linger too close to Readingum. they are looking for you pup." Khaana advised. 

Uhtred cracked a smile "I should be warning you to be careful, You nearly mauled Alfred and his warrior back there." He said to her. Khaana looked up at him with glazed eyes and huffed "He was out of his bounds with what was said," she stated, her gaze slipped to the side. "though I fear I may have alerted Ragnar, " she added looking Uhtred back in the eye "he is coming." she said.

Uhtred smiled "good, the others will have to believe him and he will believe us." Uhtred said.

"go, before the Danes move, I will keep an eye on things here." Khaana said, Uhtred stood up and Brida went to Khaana, she gave the large hound a hug "If they touch you or try to tie you up bite them in the arse." Brida advised, to which Khaana chuckled "twice, for your sake." Khaana jested.

Seeing the two off to the main gate, Khaana watched them vanish over the hill.  Looking about to make sure no one was heading for her, she made her way back to the Kings dwelling. walking through town she made sure to make herself seem weaker, but it was a hard feat at her size. heavy feet leaving large paw prints in the mud.

"ey! eye! ain't that the Dane dog?" called a man near the stables.

Khaana tried her best to ignore him, "it is, would make a lovely rug." said his friend.

"Or would make nice trade, I bet you could get a nice price of silver for it. Fur or the whole hound. and Lord would pay a nice price for a war hound like that." said the first man.

Khaana noticed them following, her, she turned to give them a warning growl and a bark. "stay your distance," She thought to herself. But she had little hope that they'd not allow the fools within them to continue.

And she was right, the second man creeping behind her, reached for the scruff of her neck, Khaana snapped at his legs as he tried to drag her along, the first man, gave her a kick "silly mutt should know this is better for her than being left to the Danes." He said.

Khaana freed herself from them , slipping from their grasp, leaving a chunk of her fur behind in the man's fist. As she ran they made chase. Khaana let out a breath of annoyed air, they just wouldn't give up and she wasn't going to get any information at this rate.

Rounding a corner, headed for the Kings dwelling, she spotted the tavern, and more importantly a face she never thought she'd be happy to see. "make yourself useful." She thought as she spotted Leofric at a table with a mug he seemed to be talking to a young woman with chestnut hair. 

His eyes did a double take as he spotted the large dog fleeing from two men clumsily chasing her shouting curses. "they left it here?" Leofric murmured getting to his feet. "arseling should have known something like this would happen" he said. "something like what?" Eadgyth asked her brother as he had faded out of their conversation. Leofric nodded towards the dog, before heading it's way, it seemed to be running towards him.

"hey!" Leofric called to the two men, Khaana, gained speed, and then kicking off form the ground, pushed herself into the air. Leofric's eyes grew wide as he held out his arms, ina a blur of time he found the giant dog landing into his arms.  she climbed so that her upper body may lean over his shoulder, and looked back at the two men chasing her from over her own shoulder.

Khaana watched as the men came to a stumbling halt, "Sir, Leofric..." The first stammered as Leofric narrowed his eyes into a glare. "you've nothing greater to do than chase a dog around town, Waegmund? and shouldn't you be at your trade post, Osmer?" Leofric questioned. "or should inform Alfred that you are chasing about his guests pet." He added.

The two men shrank back, "no no, we'll be going. were where purely just trying to make sure it would not harm anyone. it was raised by Danes, surely it may be vicious." said Waegmund.

Leofric adjusted the heavy dog in his arms and gave Khaana's fur a ruffle to make a point "and t his seems vicious?" He asked. Khaana held back the urge to nip at his hand. He was making a point, and running off the idiots, she could surely behave herself for a few minutes more.

"no, no - we will be going now." Osmer  said as he and his friend hurried away.

Leofric saw them off, and Khaana readied herself to jump down.

"what a lovely dog!" Eadgyth called in a gasp as she ran to Leofric in a flutter. she took hold of Khaana's face and lightly ruffled her fur around. Khaana cringed, another reason why she hated this form. "heavy, is more like it, it was all I could do not to tumble to the ground." Leofric grumbled. 

Khaana found herself being carried back to the Tavern, Leofric set her down near the table and Eadgyth stooped to pet her.

"they said she belonged to the Danes?" Eadgyth asked. Leofric gave a nod, "yes, they must have been giving her time, it doesn't care for me much." He said. Eadgyth giggled "no, how could anyone to wary of a mean face like that!" she joked. Khaana gave tail a wag, she liked this girl. "My face isn't mean" Leofric muttered, Khaana looked to him, and while he looked as grumpy as ever, his eyes were sulking slightly. 

"I must go back to to my duties, I will see you later Leofric." Eadgyth said, standing up to leave, "do not let Alfred run over you." Leofric said, there was a hint of something sour in his tone. Khaana's ears perked at the sound. "so it would seem he is not fond of Alfred. Not that I can't understand why." Khaana thought. "I won't, he is kind to me brother." Eadgyth said.

"That isn't what I meant." Leofric grumbled.

Khaana made sure to follow Eadgyth on her way out "seems i've got a new friend." Eadgyth said looked back at Khaana. "seems you have," Leofric replied with a small smile.

Khaana stayed close to Eadgyth as she wandered the halls, her eyes scanning for sight of Alfred or Beocca. "You're so well behaved considering your masters" Eadgyth praised, Khaana. However Khaana was hardly listening. Khaana saw the hall they'd taken before leading to the scribe chamber. Making sure Eadgyth had walked ahead of her Khaana quietly made her way there.

" to enlighten them or to kill them?" She heard Alfred's voice questioning, quietly moving closer to the door, Khaana could see him talking to Father Beocca. she lowered her head, and moved her body to the ground, using Beocca to hide herself from Alfred's view from her place in the hall. 

"Spreading Gods word, is of course our mission." Beocca said after a short moment of thought. "But I fear the Pagans, the true pagans must first witness and feel his power." He added. Khaana's eyes squinted, "true pagans he says. Uhtred is left protected in that thought but Brida would never bend an inch." Khaana thought to herself. 

Alfred gave a nod drew his quill and started writing, Boecca watched him with attention. "Uhtred, he will return yes?" Alfred asked him. "ah, yes. He will return." Beocca said with a smile. "yes but how will he return, as who, as what?" Alfred asked.

"I know this boy-"

"This boy is no boy any longer, he is now a man." Alfred shot.

Beocca's face became stiff and his lips thinned shut like a person trying to keep some particularly nasty words held in. "I know his soul." Beocca said quickly.

"Father Beocca, he has no soul." Alfred reasoned.

"I would have you know, child, we all have souls." Khaana hissed into the mind of Alfred. His body froze, and he tried to mask his panic. "Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished. So says the  word of God, so tell me - abomination what soul have you that the Dane does not?" Khaana's voice echoed in his mind.

Alfred's knees shook beneath his robes, he had an image to hold and yet, he wanted nothing more to fall to his knees. his subconscious thoughts asking "who are you and from here do you speak?"

To which Khaana suppressed her laughter, "in time, you may know." she thought to him in a whisper and let her presence ease out of his mind like a mist.

"Lord?" Beocca questioned him as Alfred stood still and quiet leaned over his writings. Alfred cleared his throat "you did say yourself that Pagans must feel gods power." he said, gathering himself fast. the voice was simply his bodily sickness making his mind weary, that must have been it. "it is now written down here," he added.

Beocca clenched his teeth and looked down at the paper with a disdainful eye. 

"you may leave me.." Alfred said simply.

Beocca gave a stiff nod, "we shall see what the days to come shall bring, Lord." he said.

Khaana hummed to herself "it would seem many in Alfred's company are displeased with him, good to know." She thought. "I wonder what his brother, the king is like?" she pondered.

As Beocca took his leave he saw Khaana laying on the ground, she got to her feet and he went to her swiftly. "he has left you behind as a sign he will return?" He asked, Khaana said nothing, but tilted her head at him as any dog would. "look at me talking to you, a testament to my nerves. I must pray." Beocca said. he gave Khaana's head a pat and headed off. 

Khaana saw him off to the chapel, but she dared not enter in, standing at the door way her eyes wandered up to the cross. closing her eyes she exhaled and turned to leave, it was no place for her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun would be setting soon, and the air became colder, Khaana grumbled to herself as she narrowly avoid being fawned over by soldier's praising her in the halls. "oh to be me again instead of the flea riddled form." she thought. Her hunt for the King was a hard one, she had looked everywhere, surely he couldn't stay in the throne room all day.

Khaana found herself standing before large closed doors, she had no way to get them open, however, another boon of being a fluffy puppy, was an old trick.

Reaching out her paw she lightly scratched at the door, giving a few seconds and doing so again. Before long, the door were pulled open by two guards, Khaana looked up and nearly lost her act as she looked into the face of Leofric. "The bear is everywhere." she thought sourly. "you again." he said.

"Leofric? who is there?" Asked an elderly voice. 

Leofric chuckled "it seems you have a visitor my Lord." He said.

Leofric stepped to the side to allow those in the room to see, Khaana walk past him and sit down. She tilted her head to one side and gave her tail a feeble wag as she looked around at the three men in the room.  A young man, with a permanent frown on his face sat next to an elderly fellow dressed in a bright blue tunic of expensive quality, they favored each other but whether they were father and son or grandfather and grandson was hard to tell, but the relation was there.

Near the throne stood  a slim man with dark auburn hair, and wise eyes, on his head he wore a crown, that fit perfectly top his head, this man watched Khaana in wonder.

"Ew, mangy mutt, throw it out." The younger man called. "wait, isn't that the pagan's pet?" The older man asked. "she is, she had been left behind while they have gone to investigate Readingum for lord Alfred." Leofric explained.

The King, Aethelred looked down at Khaana and chuckled slightly, "a dog has come forth to seek counsel with the king has she?" He asked, kneeling to the ground, clapping his hands together to call Khaana forward. Khaana, hesitated, just the sight of the crown and the scent in his very make up made her want to lung for his neck. 

It was the same sent as the man who held her captive, the "king" who had parted her from her last remaining wings, and kept her in chains. Khaana's ears laid flat for a moment, "seem she is wary, leave it be and cast it out." The younger man said.

"Quiet Young Odda," Aethelred hushed, he held out his hand. "come, we mean no harm, you came to us after all." He said to Khaana. "yes, but who is to say I won't harm you?" Khaana thought to herself as she carefully made we way to Aethelred.  She let him pet her fur and mashed down all her pride.

"See, there young Odda, perfectly docile. A dog is modeled after it's masters, but granted new leadership can easily change, not unlike people." Aethelred schooled the young man. "The King is right, a very eye catching hound, it's a pity it's wasted on pagans." The elder man said.

"Then maybe you should claim the hound for yourself, Lord, She would make a good hunting hound." Young Odda suggested to the King.  "And earn the Ire of more Danes? we have enough trouble of them at present." Aethelred said, standing back up. "Leofric, have her feed and watered, Until her masters return she is to be placed in your care." Aelthred said. 

Khaana's tail tucked in, as inside she was scowling "stay with the Urswine? I'd rather the company of pigs." Khaana thought to herself. "and here am I, I have finally met hell." she thought with a huff. Leofric looked at the hound and then back to his King "um, Lord? it does not care for me lord..." Leofric said in a low murmur. 

Aethelred, chuckled "maybe because of the very unfriendly show you shared with her master. she is harmless now, nothing you cannot handle. go, I am sure - If father Beocca's word is good, that our guests shall return soon." Aethelred said in dismissal.

Leofric gave a bow, and turned to leave, he whistled for Khaana to follow behind him and she did so begrudgingly. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Khaana found herself at an Inn in the tavern, it wasn't much, but it was cozy. The sun had gone down, and the warm glow of the fires was soothing, or it would have been. Khaana sat in the corner of the room and watched as Leofric tried to make her a 'bed' in the corner with a potato bag.  "that should serve you well for the night." He said with a small hint of pride at his handy work. Khaana gave him a flat stare and quietly padded over to the  bed provided by the inn, with a leap she place herself on its center and curled into a ball. "Urswine, you lay on the sack." She thought to herself.

"Get down mutt, or you'll litter the thing with flees!" Leofric shouted, Khaana turned her back to him and laid down her head. 

Leofric felt as if the hound had dared him to try and move her, and it was not a challenge he wanted to risk. "you're right, she doesn't care for you does she?" Eadgyth giggled popping her head into the room. Leofric frowned at his sister "if you're hear that means you've been rolling with the brat." He said, voice heavy with disapproval. Eadgyth crossed her arms and shrugged, "He pays attention to me differently, pays well and doesn't deny we've bedded. Alfred doesn't know and he won't tell him." She said with a casual air, trying her best to disarm her brother.

Khaana's ears listed as she listened, "so Alfred's bedding a servant girl...and someone else is bedding her as well. this could be useful." Khaana thought to herself.  Lifting her head, Khaana stood up and lazily stepped down from the bed, with a wag of her tail she went to sit at Eadgyth's feet. "I don't understand." Leofric muttered to which Eadgyth laughed. "you always wanted a puppy when we were little." she said giving Khaana a pat on the head. "maybe she doesn't like men? maybe some where cruel to her." she reasoned.

Leofric shook his head "no, she never leaves the pagan's side, and she let Alfred and the King pet her." Leofric said, Eadgyth laughed more. "I still stand bye it being your grumpy face." She giggled. Khaana gave a canine laugh "and his bear like ways, teach him some tactfulness." Khaana thought. She found herself talking more to herself than normal. The truth was, with Uhtred and Brida gone, she'd never felt so lonely and was glad for Eadgyth's company.

Leofric grumbled a bit under his breath, He was different around his sister than what Khaana had seen of him while on duty. It was almost redeeming, almost.

"well then, come on, lets go for a walk. I'm headed back to "work" a bit before heading home" Eadgyth called to Khaana. Khaana followed behind the girl as she left out of Leofric's room and out into the tavern. "let me guess, your brothers lady friend?" An amused voice teased from a table near the firelight. Eadgyth rolled her eyes "I thought we agreed you are not tot talk to me out side of our...activities." She said to the young man with strawberry colored hair and a face fighting skin blemishes. His bright eyes seemed to shimmer at Eadgyth's annoyance. 

However, Khaana smirked "I like him, any one who knows the Urswine is vile, is good in my book." she thought to herself and with that thought she walked over to the young man and gave the friendliest bark she could muster. 

Eadgyth's eyes became wide, "I cant...I can't believe it seems to like you, of all people." she said grimacing slight, she gave a few clicks of her tongue "come on girl, you don't want to play with he sad little man." Eadgyth called. 

The Young man reached out and gave Khaana's head a pat "that isn't what she was saying thirty minutes ago." he snickered. Eadgyth rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "come on girl, lets go for walkies." Eadgyth tried again. Khaana took one last glance at the young man, and her eyes narrowed "his face seems awfully familiar." she thought, it would no doubt bother her the rest of the night.  Going to Eadgyth's side she followed the back to the Kings Hall.

Inside of the keep, Khaana stayed nearer to Eadgyth this time, the sun had fallen and if she was truly Alfred's plaything, he would be seeking her out soon. One last time before returning to the wife, Khaana assumed. Eadgyth would talk to her, and every now and then Khaana acknowledged with a wag of her tail, not that she was truly listening.

Khaana's eyes and ears examined the halls, and the muttering of those who wandered there. A lot of troubled faces, but many seemed to be perfectly pleased with King Aethlered. But many, gossiped about Lord Alfred, and one they called young Aethelwold.

While rounding a dark and quiet corner, A hand reached out from the shadows taking hold of Eadgyth's arm. The girl gasped and Khaana's fur stood on end as she snarled "oh!" Alfred gasped pulling Eadgyth to him, startled by the unexpected sound and the flashing of sharp teeth. "I-I did not know you brought company." Alfred stammered quietly. Eadgyth looked down at Khaana and giggled "they left her to my brother, lord, she isn't fond of him." Eadgyth explained.

Khaana stopped her snarling and watched the two with a flat gaze her eyes looking Alfred up and down as if scowling. "scandalosus little man, is no more pure than so called heathens." Khaana thought.  rolling her eyes she broke away from the two and headed up the hall "I'm not sure that creature is too fond of me either." Alfred muttered before Eadgyth met him in a kiss..

Khaana's feet carried her back tot he kings hall, she scratched at the door, and after a short time it opened "oh not you again." Odda the Younger murmured, stepping out of the way and allowing the big hound through.

Odda the elder, chuckled "it seems the King has a new advisor." he said with a grin, Khaana let him to come and ruffle her fur. "I'd be a sight better than you lot I'm sure, but I don't give wisdom to kings of treacherous blood." Khaana thought to herself.

Aethelred clicked his tongue a few times and clapped his hands calling Khaana to him, with lazy stride she made her way over standing a fair distance away. "it seems I Have, and what word would you have for me?" He asked in jest.

However the smile, quickly fell from his face as a voice like fog seeped into his thoughts, "The Saxon-dane means well, do not scorn him, and trouble will not follow. he could a friend to your people, or - a blight like no other but only if you make it so." Khaana warned.

Aethelred's face became pale and he looked about the room once before clearing his throat "I believe that is enough for tonight, we should rest, the coming days may be hard." He said to the two Oddas.

Khaana's eyes were smirking, as she watched the King get to his feet. "fetch her a pillow from my quarters, Know your man Leofric, he hasn't made the thing a proper bed, have Eadgyth take it and the hound back to him." Aethelred sighed, side glancing he murmured under his breath " and giving that girl a task will keep my brother out of trouble." he said. All in the room shared glances at that statement.

Khaana followed Eadgyth back to the Inn, in the girl's hands was a bright blue throw pillow adorned in gold colored tassels. Eadgyth looked less than pleased about being sent away from the keep so early into the night.

"You're early." Leofric said from his seat at a table in the tavern, Eadgyth huffed and dropped the pillow on the table before him. Leofric managing just barely to save his mug of ale. 

"here, a pillow for the dog. Our King knows you probably made her a sorry place to lay her head." Eadgyth said. Leofric rubbed the back of his neck "no she was not thrilled about her potato sack." he muttered. Eadgyth finally laughed, "a what? goodness no, she's a lady, you can give her a potato sack to lay on!" Eadgyth gasped, turning to look at Khaana "just look at her." she added. Khaana stood on her hind legs, and stached the pillow from the table carrying it away to Leofric's room. 

"That hounds, far to smart..." Leofric said with a slight shiver, "I'd hate to face more than one on a battle field." he confessed. Eadgyth crossed her arms. "Aethelred and Alfred are tryign thier best to avoid war with the Danes. I doubt you'll have to worry about facing the likes of her." she reasoned.

Khaana threw down her bed and lay down, closing her eyes. exhaling deeply she channeled Uhtred. "where are you?" she asked him.

"I was, sleeping. was. why are you up so late?" Uhtred thought back to her. "Spying, same as you. do not take that tone with me, you've had to deal with far less idiocy than I." Khaana thought pointedly. Uhtred chuckled for his bed roll on the ground beneath the trees.

"Brida wants to know it you bit any arses." He thought. Khaana withheld a smirk but her thoughts were playful "not yet, was very close though." at her thoughts Uhtred chuckled more. "we have news, as expected, Alfred and Beocca, knew nothing. I will tell them what we have learned." Uhtred explained. 

"then rest as well as you can, tomorrow, your path starts." Khaana advised, she could feel Uhtred sigh within his thoughts. "alright, night Khaana." He thought to her, "goodnight, Osbert."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29K 1.8K 10
She was a dream, the calm in the storm, since being a babe, the youngest of her siblings, Young Ragnar, Uhtred and Thyra. A girl much too gentle, her...
48.4K 1.1K 34
The day Uhtred murdered Skade, he had no idea she had a family. Someone who loved her. An older sister who adored her. Sigyn had heard rumours from s...
368K 20.2K 73
BOOK 1 OF 'The WAR of Dynasties' SERIES โœจ Princess Chandralekha was born in a royal family and was promised to the wealthiest king, but little did sh...
13.2K 296 17
[completed] If you stood before the Gods at this very moment, would they name you worthy of their domain? Would they look upon the fear you've caused...