Love Hates Me

By Roshnii_28

"Weird feelings as in, you like me?" Cedric asked me. "Maybe." I shrugged. "What the fuck is maybe, Kathlee... More

PREVIEW
YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN IN LOVE
WE ARE HAVING A BABY
BEST FRIEND'S DAY OUT
SHORT SPAN OF TIME
TEACHER'S PET
COLD WAR
CHIRPIER THAN USUAL
THE LETTER
WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?
HEART TO HEART CONVERSATION
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CRUNCH
I WANT A REMATCH
SHE WON'T BITE
THE GUY YOU LIKE
YOU ARE SCARY
SELFISH BITCH
BIRTHDAY WISHES
AFTER THE WILSON BROTHERS?
DRUMROLLS PLEASE
THE TRUTH UNFOLDS
OUR SAFE ZONE
CELEBRATION TIME ISNT OVER
A THOUSAND YEARS
WE CAME TO CONGRATULATE YOU
WE ARE DATING
I HAVE A DATE.
I HAVE NO IDEA HOW HE DOES THAT
LIAM OR CEDRIC
I WANT TO LIVE
YOU'RE ENGAGED
BREAK UP
STOP PAMPERING HER
IT'S JUST CEDRIC, NOT A MONSTER
I AM TIRED
KISS ALREADY
AM I DISTRACTING YOU?
I AM NOT ANGRY
ARE YOU IN LOVE?
TELL THEM WE ARE DATING
I WANT TO REMAIN SANE
TELEPATHY
JUST A WEEK
FASTER TURTLES
WEIRD CONFUSING FEELINGS
I'M AMAZING AS ALWAYS
THIS IS DEFINITELY DRAMATIC
IT'S YOUR BESTFRIEND'S WEDDING
I DON'T NEED A SPY
IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN
LIKE FATHER, LIKE DAUGHTER
EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON
FATE
BONUS CHAPTER

THE DANCE

922 35 15
By Roshnii_28

CHAPTER ONE.

I was walking down the hall. My long green dress swaying along with every step I took. I looked around the huge banquet which was completely packed with people and I could hear the faint chatting over the music. My hand went to the locket I was wearing, the one my mother gave me on my 22nd birthday. I took a deep breath, plastered a huge smile on my face and walked towards my siblings, who were sitting at one of the tables. I sat on the chair next to my younger sister, Olivia, and released a breath I had no idea I was holding.

“Drink?” Sam, my cousin asked.

“Yes, please.” I said, tucking my chocolate brown hair behind my ears. He handed me a glass of champagne. “Tone down your facial expression.” He said. “People. Pity faces. Can’t help it.” I told him, took a small sip and kept the glass on the table.

“Alexa got a new tattoo.” Olivia said while looking at her phone. “You are not getting a new tattoo again.” Sam said, trying to be the elder brother which he miserably fails to be.

“Just look at her tattoo. It’s so beautiful.” Olivia showed me her phone, completely ignoring Sam. There was a huge but beautifully tattooed dream catcher on the back of her neck. “It’s beautiful.” I said. I always had a fantasy of tattoos but I never had the nerve to get one. I cannot get something done on my skin and live with it for the rest of my life. I was admiring her tattoo when Taylor sighed. “Here she comes again.” Taylor said, looking at a blonde girl.

“Who’s she?” Evan, Sam’s husband and the only person I can tolerate without losing my shit, said. “His ex.” Olivia said, vigorously typing on her phone.

“But you broke up years ago.” Sam said while playing with Evan’s fingers. “I know.” Taylor said, trying to hide his face behind me.

“Why would you even date a family friend?” I scoffed, taking a sip from my drink. He jumped towards me, snatched the champagne glass from my hand and kept it on the table. “What are you doing?” I asked him, raising my eyebrows. He always finds a way to embarrass me. “Come with me. She won’t be able to find me on the dance floor, there are so many people out there.” He said, taking my hand and pulling me with him.

“No way.” But he, anyway, pulled me to the dance floor and we started swaying to the music. “You know I don’t like this.” I whisper-shouted. He twirled me around and kept my hand on his shoulder. “You shouldn’t have left those dance lessons mom forced us to go to.” I rolled my eyes “Asshole.” Then he spun me around to the next person. Ugh.

The man kept his hand on my waist and I placed my hand on his broad shoulders. I could have just excused myself at that moment but something stopped me, maybe it was his green eyes. There was something really attractive about his eyes. His eyes reminded me of the forest, like the different colour of trees and bushes when seen altogether reflected different shades of green and yellow, it was all in his eyes. It reflected the same calmness that nature does. I just couldn’t get enough of it, and the way his mesmerizing eyes were looking straight into my caramel ones, it became more difficult to move my eyes from his. He twirled me around and pulled me closer to him. My hands went around his neck. He was taller than me by at least two to three inches. His light brown hair was pushed back. He wore a dark shade of blue shirt, the collar button was kept open and I could see a hint of black ink on his collar, which I assume was a tattoo. He removed his hands from mine and took out his phone from his pocket. “Excuse me.” He said in a thick British accent, with a small smile and left.

“He was hot.” I heard a voice I desperately wanted to hear. I turned around and hugged my best friend, Rachel. “I missed you so much.” Rachel whispered. The last time we met was months ago and I wasn’t even aware that she was going to be here. “Why didn’t I know you were coming?” I asked her.

“Taylor told me to give you a surprise by suddenly showing up.” She said with a shrug. “When did this started happening?.” I asked her. She raised her eyebrows and gave me confused look. “Taylor and you?” I folded my hands and gave her a look. “We were just talking and I told him that I had plans of coming. That’s it.” She said, fidgeting with her nails. “Yeah, that’s it. Stop getting jealous, Em..” Taylor said, leaving a light kiss on Rachel’s cheeks. “You look beautiful, Smith.” He told Rachel and turned towards me  “She’s still your best friend, I’m not taking her."

“Well, your blondie is here. I guess I should call her over here.” I told him, referring to his ex. “Yes my blondie is here.” Taylor said, taking Rachel’s hand so that she stopped fidgeting with her nails. “Taylor, stop flirting with her. She’s way out of your league.” Taylor looked at me with a bored expression and turned to Rachel. “It was nice to see you, Rach.” He said and left.

“So you and Taylor.” I teasingly asked Rach, though I know it’s nothing. Nothing can ever happen between them. “What?” She scoffed. “M-me and Taylor?” She laughed. “Shut up.” She said in a high pitched voice. I looked at her and she was blushing so hard that her face replicated that of a tomato. I just gave her a look. “Anyway, who was the guy you were dancing with?” She asked.

“No idea.” I said, although I feel like I have seen him before but I can’t remember where. “One scotch without ice and one champagne please.” I told the bartender. “You were dancing with him, completely lost in his eyes and you have no idea who he was.”

“No.” The drinks were served to us and I took a sip of the scotch. “And I was not lost in his eyes.”

“Typical Emma.” She murmured “He was hot though.” He was, indeed, good looking, but keeping the looks aside, he had a very positive energy around him which calmed me.

“Yes, he was. Though I have seen better.” I chuckled. “Anyway, how have you been?” I asked, trying to change the topic.

“Busy. The fashion show is in less than a month. My brand is going amazingly well, like a lot better than I expected. So it has been a bit hectic lately with everything.” She said. “And Jack left the job, so now I have to do everything.” She said referring to his assistant. Rachel was a fashion designer and stylist, and an all-rounder for me. We met when we were in high school and since then she wanted to become a fashion designer. She has worked so hard to achieve her dreams, it’s absolutely commendable. Rachel is the most down-to-earth person I’ve ever seen in my life, she has held up with so much of my nuisance and always been here through all the dramatic episodes of my life. I can’t imagine a life where she is not a part of it. “You tell me how are things with you?” She asked me.

“The same, you know. The publishing house and all.” The publishing house was passed on to me after my mother’s death. I always knew I was going to take over it but I thought my mother would be there to guide me through it. It was a bit chaotic in the beginning but now I’m all settled and I cannot see myself doing anything else. That publishing house has become my whole heart as it is the thing which keeps me close to my mother. Doing exactly what she use to do. There is not a single day when I enter the place and I’m not reminded of her. Her essence is all over that place, it’s like she’s still there.

“Emma?” I heard a voice from behind and I turned around to see who it was. “Oh Uncle Richard. How are you?” I said, plastering a smile to my face.

“Absolutely fine dear. How have you been?” He asked me.

“Good.” I said. “Your parents would have been so proud to see you today. Taking the family name forward. I’ve heard how hard you work. It’s amazing to see young women like you do so much work.” I just gave him a fake smile. “I wish your parents were present to see what a grown up woman you have turned into.” And here comes his tears. “My blessings are always with you, my child.”

“Thank you, Uncle.” I said, because I had no idea what else to say. “It was nice to see you after so long. It reminded me of your mother. You look a lot like her. Anyway, enjoy the party.” He said and gave me a side hug, I just smiled.

“It was nice to see you too.” I told him and he went away, but that was not it, numerous people – people I didn’t even know – came to me with the same pity look and it seemed like all of them had a speech prepared. Why do they need to act like this?

“Let’s go to Olivia and others.” Rach told me and we went towards them. I sat in one of the empty seats while Rachel went and sat opposite me. “Remind me to never attend a family function. I got like a thousand sympathy speeches and looks.” I told them. “Ugh, I need this drink more.” I said, taking the drink from Taylor and gulping it. I felt better. “You should definitely get a break from your phone, Liv.” I told Olivia. “Phone, shit. Where’s my phone?”

“How are we supposed to know?” Taylor said. “You always do this, you never-“ Taylor continued with his ‘you always lose your phone’ speech. I can’t help it, this phone is an added responsibility and I hate it.”Shut up, Taylor. I really don’t want to hear your bullshit right now.”

“Actually-“

“Why aren’t there pockets in dresses? This is so irritating.” I said, getting up and looking for my phone here and there. “I have your phone.” A voice, I didn’t recognise says. I looked up and saw the guy from the dancefloor sitting right next to me but he didn’t have the accent he had before.

“You.” I mused. “How do you have my phone?” I asked him, still confused as to why was he sitting with us. “You gave it to me when we were dancing.” He said and handed me my phone. “Thank you so much.”  I told him.

“You two know each other?” Evan asked and I shrugged.

“Not exactly.” We said at the exact same moment. I looked at him and then at Evan. How do they know each other? “I’m Cedric. Cedric Wilson. Evan’s cousin.” He introduced himself.I gave him a small smile. “Emma Brown.” I said, introducing myself.

“Pleasure to meet you.” I gave him a proper smile and turned to check my phone. “Shit, Ken has called me a number of times.” I said, looking at all the missed calls. “He called me as well, but I forgot to tell you.” Sam said, for which he received a death glare from me. “It must have been something important.” I said.

“Ken. My day starts with that name and ends with it. I was hoping I wouldn’t hear this name today but I guess people shouldn’t expect much .” Olivia sighed. Olivia is the most dramatic person I’ve ever seen. She is the youngest of us all and everyone treats her like a princess. She gets whatever she wants, whenever she wants. And now no one can tell her a no because that will turn out to be the biggest mistake made by them.

“Come on, O. Ken is the only person who can handle Emma’s nuisance.” Taylor said, keeping his hands on her shoulder. She shook her head and went back to using her phone. I rolled my eyes. “He’s my assistant.” I told them. “If he wasn’t there, I have no idea how I would even be where I am.”

“He’s the love of your life.” Rach said for which she was shown a middle finger by me. My phone started ringing and it was Ken. “I have to take this call. Excuse me.” I said and answered the call. I went to a quieter place, away from the music blasting in our ears and chitter-chatter of my siblings. “Yes Ken?”

“I’m so sorry to disturb you, Ms. Brown.” He said.

“No, not at all. What’s the matter?” I asked him. I hope it’s not the thing I think it is. I am not ready to face it yet. Every time Ken calls me after working hours, my heart skips a beat and my mind starts wandering to that one thing. I took a deep breath. It can’t be that. It will never be that. “I just wanted to inform you that the meeting is at 8 AM.” Ken said. “That’s it?" I asked. He could have dropped a text, that suspense wasn’t really necessary. “Yes.” He replied. “Okay thank you.” I said and kept my phone. I could feel my heartbeat thumping against my chest. Relax Em. He’s not coming back. Take a deep breath. I drank some water, sobered myself up and went back to the table. “What was it?” Evan asked. “I have a meeting tomorrow at 8.” I told him.

“8 in the morning?” Olivia said. I nodded.

“I should leave, I’m really tired.” I told them. “Taylor, please safely take Olivia home along with you.” I said, I didn't trust Taylor with these things. He would meet someone, start flirting with her, will take her home and forget about Olivia. 

“Of course, I will.” Taylor said and I raised my eyebrows. "Bye Em." He said, putting emphasis. I bid goodbye to everyone and left.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

925 31 53
"whatever you do it tickles my heart." Kathie Styles, sister of overbearing, over possessive yet best brother;and a famous singer, member of 1...
248 27 22
In the silent world of a reserved boy, a cheerful, famous girl shone like an unreachable star. His unspoken love for her was a beautiful dream, yet u...
3.7K 401 56
"Why do you always avoid my questions?" "I'm not, it's just that there's nothing to say. Who would ever want to date someone they can't even talk to...
3.4K 935 51
This is the story of Ethan and Kathleen. Ethan, is really grumpy and moody all the time. He ignores people who care for him and he never tried to be...