The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburรฐarsonr

Alfred

746 31 2
By Skipology

It was peaceful in the courtyard, so quiet one could almost hear the sound of their lungs as they expanded and retracted in their chest, hear the unformed thoughts in their head. Khaana lay on the cool stone, her ears listening to everything around her while she let her eyes rest, She couldn't recall the last time she had slept.

Brida wandered around carefully, the courtyard was a small garden, with modest herbs and flowers, surrounded by open air halls for visitors to wander about. Here even foot steps fell softly. hatred of the Saxons or not Brida had to admit, this place seemed to settle her restless spirit.

Uhtred noticed Brida's tense shoulders relax, and Khaana lay unguarded about ground, listening to the nuns wander about.

"You like it?" Uhtred asked Brida. She gave a nod, almost hating to break the quiet with her voice "I do, it's beautiful" Brida said, glancing back at Uhtred, watching him walk about and take in their surrounding. "you could rest here it's so quiet" Brida added, she looked down to Khaana and giggled silently.

"leave me be girl." Khaana thought to her, Brida could feel the smirk in her words. "it's exhausting holding this form for so long." Khaana sighed. Khaana's eyes shot open at a new scent, her head rose and her ears perked.

"Peaceful" A lite refined voice called.

Uhtred, Brida, and Khaana turned their attention to the man dressed in a simple robe with a cross about his neck. He was frail, deep set eyes tired but calculating. Pale yet slightly graying skin, like a cloud that wanted to rain. "The Roman's built this courtyard for that very reason; tranquility." He said.

His heavily lidded eyes watched Uhtred as if silently reading all her could about him just by the way he carried himself. He looked clear through him. Uhtred smirked slightly amused and pointed "you're Alfred?" he asked.

He didn't need to be told, though this little man looked far from impressive. He was small and clearly afflicted with some sort of ailment. however their was a power in his gaze, Uhtred could tell he was smart. Alfred's eyes held a calculating wisdom that Uhtred had seen before in the likes of his own Uncle, Old Ravn, and his Father.

"I am." said Alfred, unmoved by the Dane's amusement. Uhtred gave a clumbsy halfhearted bow "my Lord." He said to him. Brida crept up slowly to stand at Uhtred's side, she refused to bow and looked at Alfred with a stone like gaze.

"You are Uhtred. I hear word that you are a warrior most considerable." Alfred said, his eyes flickering to the large hound who neared with caution. Khaana watched him, struggling not to lung. He held a familiar scent in his blood, on his skin, in his bones.

it took all she had to stop her fur form bristling. Uhtred followed Alfred's gave to Khaana. He could almost feel her struggling.  Uhtred cleared his throat and turned his attention to Alfred "I've not been tested Lord, not yet, and I have been lucky." Uhtred said, he pointed over his shoulder to Khaana "and well protected." He said with a short laugh.

Uhtred paced closer to Alfred, and silently, his eyes caught site of the warrior Leofric, who had placed himself nearer to Alfred as well.  Khaana's ears twitched and her eyes widened slightly, "he can move fast for such an oaf." Khaana thought to herself as she made her way to Uhtred's side. 

"Luck is good, well...that is what my own warriors tell me." Alfred said, he wasn't a man of many facial expressions. Maybe it was to hide his true thoughts and motives, whatever it was Brida did not trust this frail man before her. Though he cracked a small smile, or what looked to be a smile.

"however, I haven't quite figured out the theology of luck: can there be luck if God disposes?" Alfred asked.

Brida looked away, not this, she expected it, but so soon? 

Uhtred met Alfred's gaze and thought for a brief moment, he then cast a playful smile " well, if your God is with you, you are a lucky man." he said simply. Alfred gave Uhtred's words a short thought himself, and then with a look of ever so light surprise, Alfred's eyes seemed to smile.

"Yes, you're right" Alfred said, and as quickly as the small expression washed over his face, it fell away. Alfred glanced about as if to make sure no one took notice. "simple put, but you are right." he added.

Alfred turned sharply on his heel, "with me, we shall talk inside briefly" He said, beckoning Uhtred and Brida to follow. Uhtred turned to Brida, clearly pleased that things seemed ot be going well thus far. Leofric followed behind Alfred as a barrier between the Danes and the Kings brother.

Lead through dark solemn halls, and down a few steps into a dimply lit room. it was long and filled with rows upon rows of parchment, scrolls and books. It smelled of old paper, fresh ink and candle wax.  the cloudy skies offered little light from the large windows. Uhtred looked about, seemingly amazed by the collection of papers and the grand structure of the room. Brida, was unmoved and with Khaana watch Leofric warily while he stood guard at the side of the entryway.

Leofric held out his hand for Khaana to smell, She snorted "no, dear fool." she thought with a flick of her tail brushing past him. she followed behind Uhtred while he explored the room. Many tables were littered with rolled papers, journals, books and quills. 

"I often spend much of my time here." Alfred said fiddling with some scrolls to make room at the table. picking up a quill he dipped it in the near by ink well and started to write. "do you read Uhtred?" he asked. "I was school as a boy by Father Beocca." Uhtred said, peering over the shoulder of one of the King's scribes, Uhtred cast a mischievous smile towards the priest as he entered in. 

Beocca looked between Alfred and Uhtred nervously, all seemed to be going ok so far.

"There is much to know outside of letters" Brida cut in.

"Oh, I am certain that there is," Alfred said, laying down his quill. "but do not underestimate the power of the written word." Alfred added, looking her way.

Leofric clicked his tongue quietly trying to call the dog to him. Khaana looked his way, and laid down at Uhtred's feet. She couldn't understand why the man wouldn't give up. Maybe he was a farmer,  trying to get the dog to notice him like a child stuck in a room full of adults in need to a friend. Leofric chuckled softly as the stubbornness of Khaana and gave up for the moment.

"When a man dies, He is soon forgotten if nothing is written." Alfred reasoned, "for instance, who is remembering Earl Ragnar?" Alfred questioned.

Khaana's attention snapped to the fragile man, her eyes narrowing. Uhtred, cast a worried glance towards her, the venom in her core, he could feel it creeping up his finger tips it was so powerful. Leofric noticed the hound's hackles bristle, raising slowly higher and higher along her spine. 

Brida was quick to rush to Khaana, gently petting her fur as if to calm her down, though she shared her feelings.

"you know of Ragnar?" Uhtred asked quickly, looking to Alfred.

Alfred set down the paper he was holding, and crossed his hands behind his back, "Father Beocca, has told me much about you, Uhtred." He said, idly heading towards Uhtred. "He told me you were a captive of Earl Ragnar, a slave. is that the case?" Alfred asked.

Khaana growled quietly while Brida desperately clung to her fur, trying her best to keep her under control. 

Uhtred's expression stoned over "Ragnar was a father to me." He said taking a step forward, Leofric reaching out a arm halted Uhtred and as his hand touched him Khaana's ridge spike high, and she released a loud snarl.

Alfred did not remove his eyes from Uhtred, but Leofric seemed bothered by the vicious sound.  Uhtred  turned and gave Leofric a wordless looked that spoke loudly "don't touch me again."

"Touch him again and she may bite you." Brida warned Leofric.

"I loved him." Uhtred told Alfred.

Alfred gave a nod and held his head a little higher "yet in Eoferwic, they say you killed him." Alfred said.

"They Lie." Brida spoke quickly, her fingers now ripping at Khaana's fur. She could feel the hound's body shaking, little tremors of boiling anger. Uhtred looked to Brida, clearly shaken by how fast the lie had spread, and hurt that it was even gaining traction. in the back of his mind he could see and smell the fires once more.

Alfred returned to his papers, carefully picking one up he read from it "Kejartan, Kejartan...is that how you pronounce it?" He asked.

Uhtred, squinted slightly "Kjartan?" Uhtred questioned. Alfred gave an acknowledging nod "Kjartan." he said if only to pronounce it properly for the first time. "he has benefited most from Ragnar's death." Alfred said glancing over the writings. the heat of rage were burning so wildly that Khaana could hardly contain it. Uhtred could feel it rush in his head, Brida felt in shudder across her skin.

On a shore, readying his ship's the living Ragnar felt as if his body would break into a sweat, and his nerves danced  to a scorching feeling that pumped through his veins like a war drum. the air in his lungs hot and scratching like smoke. "Aana-na..." he whispered. he could feel her and all her ire, it worried him. "the Ship is she ready!" he called out to his men. "yes, all ships are ready to set sail." called one of his men. Ragnar exhaled, "then we move." he said.

Uhtred looked to Khaana as she stood trembling, eyes cold and sharp. he sighed and his jaw clenched with his own anger. "He has taken his place and is now Earl Kjartan." Alfred stated picking up a scroll and reading directly from it. "he is a great lord with many ships," said Alfred.

Khaana connected with Brida, Brida gasped as she felt a clenching feeling around her vocal cords. "Kjartan is a buzzard who feeds from the destruction of more majestic animals and the scraps of lions. He isn't a great anything, much less a lord.  Kjartan's ships and cursed and his winds ill." Brida said, her voice chilled.

Alfred cast her a glance as did Uhtred. Once done speaking, Brida looked wide eyed, but tried to play it off. Once Uhtred and Alfred returned their attention to one another, Brida softly clasped her throat and looked down at Khaana. "what did you do? how did you..." Brida whispered to her. "forgive me...I could not speak as I am and the words would not stay still. Uhtred, is too strong to channel through." Khaana thought to the unsettled girl.

"All of that is written down?" Uhtred asked.

"whatever I discover about my enemies is written down," Alfred spoke calmly.

Uhtred looked over his shoulder to Brida. His enemies, that sparked a glimmer of hope. Brida walked away from Khaana, mildly frightened by what had happened she left Khaana to her rage as it tried to simmer down.

"It is Kjartan that wishes to kill you , is it not? He would not want Ragnar's son to hear a different tale." Alfred said. "he would not wish him to hear the truth, no." Uhtred said retreating to Khaana's side, she looked up at him "he knows the truth. do not let this man sway your worries." Khaana thought to him.

"no, and the chieftain Ubba, although he himself has traveled north, ha sent men to Mercia asking for you whereabouts, but not your welfare I surmise. It is said you stole something great from him along with your betrayal of Earl Ragnar." Alfred read.

"how is it you come by all of this?" Uhtred asked.

Alfred's lip twitched as it's corner formed a hint of a smirk, a glimmer of ego in his eyes, "I have eyes and ears in each of the kingdoms." He said nearly boasting. Alfred lay down his scroll on to the table and pressed his palm's together.  "it is my hope, one day, that all of the kingdoms will become one. united under one God." Alfred said taking a seat at the writing table, carefully folding his hands.

Brida raised a brow and looked to Alfred with a bored expression, Khaana's tail slowly sagged as she suddenly felt as if she had been placed into the wrong skin.

"One king?" Uhtred asked, it is true that would make him regaining rule over Bebbanburg near impossible.

Alfred looked to be lost in a day dream as he gazed absently towards the wall, but Uhtred's question has brought him back to the present moment. "yes, if all men can agree." Alfred said lending Uhtred his gaze.

"However, all that remains of England, is Wessex. the birth of an England, the idea of a single kingdom called England, has to begin here." Alfred said, his words softly spoken, but firm as his eyes look to he reaching into a future that was yet to be crafted. "there is no place else." Alfred said.

"But for how long can Wessex remain?" Uhtred asked.

"Her fate will be determined by Englishmen, all Englishmen. For only by joining together and saving Wessex can we have England. Only by saving Wessex can we have a Northumbria, a Bebbanburg." Alfred spoke gesturing to Uhtred, who's chest clenched tightly.

Brida tilted her head "and if Wessex can't be save, what then?" She asked.

Alfred shook his head "then we are all no more." he said, at his words bells tolled in the distance. Alfred looked to the window with brows raised. "ah, prayers." he said moving to rise quickly. but something turned in his core and with a ragging breath he rested a hand against his stomach. 

"And...a little discomfort..." Alfred murmured quietly. Khaana, successfully silencing her disquiet, padded over to Alfred. Everyone trusted a loyal dog, and she would need to give Uhtred a gateway into his trust. If it work on Uhtred's father, Alfred would be no different.

She let out a well planed whine and a concerned wag of her tale. Alfred rested his free hand on Khaana's head and gave it a pat. the feeling of her soft fur between his fingers seem to calm his nerves and thus slowly settle the pain in the gut, if only a little.  Alfred looked down at the dog in wonder. "what is it's name?" Alfred asked. "Khaana, her name is Khaana" Brida said.  Uhtred glanced to Beocca. He could read what Khaana's intentions where and that would not be a good enough answer. "hmm...it sound pagan." Alfred mused.

"My Father, had her named Sachiel, Lord." Uhtred confessed. 

Alfred's eyes flicked to him "Sachiel? Sachquiel, he is mentioned in Grimoire Sefer Raziel HaMalakh among others. hmm, so she is like you then, a Saxon turned Dane?" Alfred asked. "nothing of the sort." Khaana thought to herself. Alfred gave, Khaana's head one last pet, She wanted nothing more than to bite that hand a tear it clean off. However, to day she had a role to complete.

"I will summarize" Alfred said regaining himself, He turned ot face Uhtred and Brida, "The Danes are gathering a great army, rather - They have in fact gathered an army." he said nearing Uhtred.  

"They gather where?" Uhtred asked swiftly, with a long stride he went to Alfred.

"They have moved upriver to Lunden to Readingum, and are settling as we speak." Alfred reported, arms crossed behind his back he watched as Uhtred took a seat near to him on a table top.  Khaana replaced herself at Uhtred's side.

"but you said Ubba has gone to the north so who leads them?" Uhtred asked. 

"The earl Guthrum leads them." Alfred stated, Uhtred gave a nod "I know Guthrum" he said. Uhtred looked to Beocca and smiled slightly, indeed as if destiny itself had pulled the strings, everything was quickly falling into place. Beocca asked a wary glance towards Alfred, who for the moment seemed pleased.

"we will need every advantage, Father Beocca considers you, Uhtred of Bebbanburg, an Advantage." Alfred spoke, eyes glued into Uhtred's gaze as he closed in.  Uhtred smirked, "whereas, I believe you are here solely to hide, to save yourself." Alfred said.

Uhtred's smile fell and his eyes squinted "I look at you and I see a Dane, I see Uhtred of Nowhere, who cares for no one but himself" Alfred said quietly.

Uhtred watched Alfred trying his best to bite is tongue, Khaana bumped her head against his leg, "shall I bite him now?" she thought to him, Uhtred reached down to grasped her fur to calm himself.

"now, I must go to prayers, will you be joining me?" Alfred asked, adopting a lighter tone. 

Uhtred scoffed in the form of a bitter chuckle "if my lord would excuse me." Uhtred said. "both of us" Brida jumped in quickly. 

Beocca sighed in disappointment as Alfred cast him a smug and scrutinizing look. "of course, I expected as much." Alfred said to Uhtred, his eyes looking him up and down as if he'd been two feet tall.

"Father Beocca" Alfred called, creating distance from Uhtred and walking away. 

"Lord" Beocca answered.

"take your guests for refreshments." Alfred ordered, he may not have been pleased with the Danes, but he had an image to uphold for his King and city.

"I will lord." Beocca said quickly.

Alfred stopped next to Beocca on his way out and took one last look at Uhtred and Brida, " They may stay here in the city of Winchester, but know I hold you responsible of them." Alfred spoke with a stern tongue.

"yes, lord" Beocca said as Alfred took his leave, Leofric following closely behind him.

Once he was gone Brida looked to Uhtred who held a victories smile on his face as he got up from the table and went to follow Beocca. 

"you really should have gone along and prayed with him, it would have bonded you." Beocca advised him as they headed back up the long dim hallway.

"He believes we are Pagans" Uhtred said, unable to hide the lingering amusement and bitterness. 

"What Alfred believes is that the Danes abandoned you." Beocca reasoned.

"Ubba abandoned us. There are other Lords." Brida stated pointedly. 

"Most, if not all, follow Ubba, so believe me girl when I say you have been abandoned." Beocca said.

"Yeah, and you know everything about the Danes don't you? We have ways to handle Ubba, we are not afraid of him." Brida shot back.

Khaana watched Uhtred, as he headed back to the peaceful courtyard, "this way I want to show you something." Beocca called to Uhtred ignoring Brida's sharpness.

sitting on a bench in a quiet, lonely corner of the courtyard, Beocca opened a worn satchel and pulled forth rolled papers. Uhtred smiled as he knelt to get a closer look at the scrolls which Beocca tried to show him with drawing attention from others within the yard.

"the charters of Bebbanburg." Uhtred breathed.

"yeah, the landbooks." Beocca said.

"you kept them safe?" Uhtred asked.

Beocca gave a slight nod, " I have shown them to Alfred, he knows you are the eldorman by birth right." he said. Uhtred's eyes found Khaana who paced about in the courtyard.

"I will continue to keep it safe, but, Uhtred you.." Beocca sighed. "you will have to behave like an Eldorman." Beocca warned.

Uhtred broke into a large grin as he got to his feet and planted a kiss on the top of Beocca's balded head before wandering away.

Beocca sent Brida a look which said "I told you so" and she shook her head with a scowl. "those charters will mean nothing. Northumbria belongs to the Danes." she said with arms crossed. 

"It does not belong to the Danes, It has been stolen by them." Beocca corrected her.

Uhtred had returned to Khaana and knelt at her level, "they're, Alfred's come who or what may. it is your land Osbert. That is all." Khaana said into his mind. Uhtred rested his forehead against hers.

"If you want wealth you take it! you can't ignore whats true." Brida shot back.

"what will you do now?" Khaana asked Uhtred. He pulled away to look in her wolfish eyes and then turned to look at the bicker pair not far off from them. "If the Danes are at Readingum, I will go to Readingum." He said.

"What?" Brida asked her tone sour and cynical.

"And for what purpose?" Beocca asked.

"For knowledge." Uhtred stated simply heading to look out of a nearby window. 

"we have Knowledge already, and you should stay away from the Danes." Beocca urged. 

"for knew knowledge, Beocca." Uhtred said a smile creeping onto his face, "you know where they are settling but not why." he said.

"we know their numbers and their position" Beocca said. The more Beocca said the wilder Uhtred's smile became, "but not their intentions, am I a prisoner?" Uhtred asked walking to Beocca. 

"there intention is to attack" Beocca confessed. Uhtred sighed, amused with how hard Beocca was trying to keep him there. "when?" Uhtred asked him. "spring, it is always spring." Beocca answered as Brida rolled her eyes. 

"I will go to Readingum. where is it?" Uhtred went on, clicking his tongue to draw Khaana to him. she followed beside him in a quick trot to mach his fast strides.

"It is no safe!" Beocca called after him.

"Not for me" Uhtred sang with a grin, not halting his step, he turned to face Beocca walking backwards he stretched out his arms "I am but a godless Dane remember!" he said almost boasting. A twinkle in his eye as Brida rushed to follow him. "then why are we helping spy for Alfred?" She asked him.

"Because he is an Eldormen of England!" Beocca called out to Brida, she stop and threw the priest a snarling scowl before rushing to catch up with Uhtred and Khaana. "because he needs to,  the Danes cannot and will not help us. we will need a friend in the dark. and that little man is the eyes and ears of this land." Khaana thought to Brida, silencing her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.4K 1.1K 34
The day Uhtred murdered Skade, he had no idea she had a family. Someone who loved her. An older sister who adored her. Sigyn had heard rumours from s...
4K 213 14
When Signe was young, Earl Ragnar banished her father Kjartan and half-brother Sven from his land. But instead of condemning her to the same fate, he...
7.8K 661 38
A long time ago when the cold blooded King and the shape shifter King had made peace with each other having hunters as the common enemy. Shane, Lydia...
13.2K 296 17
[completed] If you stood before the Gods at this very moment, would they name you worthy of their domain? Would they look upon the fear you've caused...