Change of Plans

By Urban_Elle

Dave is breaking away the chains that have been holding him back and stealing his youth. He is on the path of... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Epilogue

Chapter 18

1.2K 54 9
By Urban_Elle

"If this is the kind of love that your mom used to warn you about
Man, we are in trouble (I'm in real big trouble)
You're in real big trouble (Lord knows I'm in trouble)
If this is the kind of love that the old folks used to warn me about (every day, every night)
I'm in trouble (I'm in real big trouble)
I'm in real big trouble (ooh)
You got anything to say, girl?"
Wyclef Jean ft. Mary J. Blige "911"

Dave

I bobbed my head and tapped the fingers of my right hand on the gear shifter as 'Can We Talk' played on the radio. I'm driving to the mall with Eva because I'm trying to cop these new kicks that just dropped. I don't like going to the mall in the middle of the week, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I'm O F F P A R O L E! F*ck all you hating *ss n*ggas, I'm free.

I found the perfect spot for me and I've finally settled in. I didn't show anybody my new crib until I was satisfied with how it looked.
*************************************************

"So, what do you guys think?" I asked Keyshia and Ric after giving them a tour.

"I like it. It gives the vibe of a bachelor pad. You did a good job." Ric commented.

"It's nice." Keyshia responded. It sounded like she was hesitating to continue her statement.

"But?"

"I'm still a little confused on how you could afford all of this."

"I've been saving for over a year."

"Even at that. It's a gated community with 24/7 security, rooftop pools, and a fully equipped gym and spa."

"Keyshia, I'm sure Dave knows what's he's doing. He's not living above his means or doing anything fishy to get money."

"Exactly. I just need y'all to support me."

"And we do. I didn't mean to sound like I was getting on you. Congratulations."

"Thank you."

"We're going to miss you at home."

"I'll come over every now and then."

"I can't believe you're going out into the world on your own. It's like you came home yesterday." She hugged me, getting all teary eyed.

"I know. Time flies." After they left, Bagg and Ari helped me set up for the special night I had planned for Eva and I to celebrate me taking the next step in my life.

"Do you think this is too much?" I was doing a glance over at all the roses petals. I made a pathway leading to the bedroom and the bathroom, while I sprinkled some into the tub. With candles, I spelled the word love on the bench I had in front of the bed.

"Yes." Demario replied.

"No. Don't listen to him. He's never done anything romantic like this."

"Because you would jump on me before I had the chance to show you anything."

"Whatever."

"I'm just saying. Who's going to clean all this up?"

"That's not the point. She is going to love it, Dave. You did a great job."

"Thanks. I appreciate you two for your help."

When Eva was close by, I brought out the champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and whip cream.

I had Eva bring a bag, so she could stay the weekend. I kind of forgot that I had no real food except for some French fries and Jamaican patties in the freezer. We made it work though with some takeout.

That night was truly memorable.
*************************************************

Things been us have been amazing. We had one little mishap a while ago, but we're not going to talk about that.

"You know, this song sums up our situation. I didn't know what to say the first time we met, but I mustered up the courage the next time we crossed paths." I kissed the back of her hand.

"Why are your hands so ashy?" Eva asked.

"Man." I went to untangle our fingers before she stopped me.

"I'm just playing."

"You play too much."

"You came into my life at the right time. You swooped in like a perfect gentleman and showed me how love is supposed to be. The rest is history."

"I love you."

"I love you too." I soon pulled up in the parking lot of the mall. I found a spot not too far from the entrance and parked in reverse. I got out of the car and opened the door for my lady.

"Why are we here again?"

"I thought this could be a nice, casual outing for us to just hang out together." She gave me a look, knowing I was on some bullsh*t.

"Okay, you got me. I need to pick up some shoes, but we can still have fun. Come on, every woman loves shopping."

"I mean I do, but sometimes I prefer to get my stuff online because there's a wider selection to choose from and the mall can get really crowded. However, since there's a Sephora here, I'm good."

"Is that the place you buy all of your makeup."

"Yeah, most of it. I can go there while you pick up your shoes because I don't want you to feel uncomfortable."

"Nah, it's cool. I don't mind going in there. If I find out what you like to get from there, maybe I can surprise you one day." I know how pricey those products are. I love her when she doesn't have no makeup on. When she does, it brings out her natural glow even more. In any situation, my baby's face card never declines.

The first stop we made was at Nike and we got there just in time to cop one of the last couple of pairs. As we walked past Footlocker, Eva pointed at something.

"Those UGG slides are so cute."

"Do you want them?"

"I've been thinking about getting them. I'm just afraid that I'm going to wear them once and they'll collect dust in my closet."

"Let's go check them out. Try them on and see how you like them."

"Okay."

We walked in and saw them on display in four colors: black, red, pink, and cheetah print. Eva was more interested in the black ones.

"Hi, do you need some help?"

"Yes. Can I please get these in a size 6.5?"

"In kids or women?"

"Kids." Those youth sizes save you a lot of money. Buy them for as long as your feet fit.

"Sure. I'll be right back."

"Thank you." I sat down on the bench and waited as Eva continued to scan the other displays. "You know what I realized?"

"What?"

"I have never seen you wear Vans."

"That's because I don't own any. They aren't really my style."

"I think you would look so cute in them. You could rock them with a sweater, some khaki slacks, and your Harry Potter glasses." You'll only see me wearing those glasses when I'm trying to read. Those things make me look like a geek.

"So, you want me to look like a nerdy school boy?"

"It sounds sexy."

"I'll think about it."

"Look at you blushing." She laughed, rubbing my cheeks.

"Baby, stop." I swatted her hands away, hiding my face.

"Here you go. Let me know if you need anything else."

"I will. Thank you."

"No problem." Eva sat down next to me and slipped off her sneakers to try on the slides. She then stood in front of the full length mirror across from us.

"I think they look good. They fit good and they're comfortable. What do you think? David?" My mind and eyes were just stuck on that *ss.

"Huh? Oh, they look good but not as nice as your *ss in those leggings."

"Really?"

"I'm serious. You should get them. I got it."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. Anything for my baby." I kissed her before helping her change back into her sneakers.

"Awww, y'all are so cute."

"Thank you." I looked up to see Draya.

"Hey Dave."

"Draya, what's up?" I know I didn't do anything wrong, but I have a feeling things are going to pop off.

"I'm good. Hi, I'm Draya."

"I'm Geneva. Nice to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine."

"This is my girlfriend." I put emphasis on the girlfriend part.

"Wow, I've heard so much about you. You're very beautiful." I felt like she was speaking in a very sarcastic tone.

"So are you. I love your curls. Curly hair is my go to."

"Me too. Looks like we have something else in common." Draya smirked. Why did she have to come over here to start some mess?

"How do you two know each other?"

"I—." I cut her off before she could say something.

"She's a regular at the club."

"Oh, okay."

"I had fun Friday night Dave. We should hook up again real soon."

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't pretend like you don't know. Anyway, I have to go. Give me a call when you're not busy. Bye Geneva. I hope to see you again."

"You better pray we don't." Eva smiled. Draya giggled and waved as she left the store. "Wow, these females are so bold these days."

"Baby, I swear I don't know what the f*ck she's talking about."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Let's go pay for these." She picked up the shoebox and walked to the counter. I followed in confusion and nervousness.

"Your total is $71.75." The cashier and Eva both looked at me.

"My bad." I pulled out four twenties from my pocket. After she gave me my change, I offered to carry the bag. We continued stroking the mall in silence. I wanted to know what was on her mind.

"Are you playing some kind of reverse psychology on me?"

"No. Why I do that?" Yo, what if she kills me in my sleep tonight? I stepped in front of her to stop her.

"Eva, just listen to me. I know her, but I have never slept with her or any other person since I've been with you. I didn't meet her on Friday night, so I don't know where that came from."

"Well, I didn't believe a word she said because we went out with Keyshia and Radric that night. But the way you're acting, something did happen between y'all so it's better you tell me now because if I find out on my own you won't like my reaction."

"She's been trying to get with me and she tried to kiss me the last time we saw each other. I pushed her off of me and told her that I was in a comiited relationship."

"Why didn't you tell me before?"

"I didn't think it was important and I thought she understood her place."

"Just be upfront with me next time and stay away from her. A thirsty chick like that is nothing but trouble."

"I will. She no longer exists in my universe and you are the only planet in my galaxy." I grinned.

"You are so corny. Let's go." I'm going to have to get Boss to handle Draya before I have to. I dare her to come between me and my woman again.

We stopped by Sephora and Yankee Candle before reaching the food court.

"Are we getting something to eat here?"

"We probably should because there's going to be crazy traffic right now. Who knows when we'll get home."

"True. Tim Hortons?"

"You already know."

As we waited for our food, I noticed this dude staring at us especially Eva.

"What the h*ll is he looking at ?"

"Who are you talking about?" She looked up from her phone.

"That wannabe Mark Henry dude over there."

"Oh my God."

"What?"

"That's Will."

"That doesn't look like Will Smith."

"David, stop." As I grabbed our stuff, I saw the guy coming over.

"Geneva. Long time, no see."

"I know. Will, it's been a minute."

"You look as beautiful as always. You have this special glow going on right now." Yeah, I did that n*gga.

"Thank you. How have you been? You don't look too bad yourself. I see you still work out."

"I gotta keep this body right for the ladies."

"I guess that means you're still a player."

"I wouldn't necessarily say I'm a player, but I like to have options. You know, a different lady for every day of the week."

"You will never change. Let me introduce you to my boyfriend David. David, this is Will. We went to college together."

"Hey man. How you doing?" He extended his hand for me to shake. I just looked at it.

"I'm good. You?"

"I'm cool. You got a real gem right here. Any man would be lucky to have her."

"I know. I'm pretty lucky."

"You know what? I got a hot cake waiting for me, so I need to go. I want you to hit me up, so we can catch up some more. Here's my card."

"Definitely. We can set something up. I hope you don't catch anything from your little hot cake."

"I stay strapped. Nice seeing you, Eva."

"It was great seeing you again, Will. Bye."

"Bye." He nodded at me and I just glared at him.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. You ready to go?"

"Yeah." Seeing that damn card in her purse was irrating the sh*t out of me the whole ride. I drove to her crib since I didn't feel like driving all the way to mine.

"Thank God, we're finally home. The traffic at this time is so disrespectful when you're tired and just want to go home." She placed her bags on the floor next to the tv before plopping onto the couch.

"Mhmmm. I think we need to address what happened at the mall."

"You mean the fight? I know. I swear you can't take some people anywhere." She chuckled referring to the fight we witnessed at Zara over a dress when we were in there.

"Eva, I'm talking about Bill, Phil, whatever his name is."

"It's Will. What about him?"

"You were flirting with him in front of me."

"Are you serious? David, I was just being polite."

"Nah, you were doing a little too much smiling and giggling."

"You're being dramatic. We should be talking about how rude you were to him."

"What did I look like shaking his hand?"

"Not only that, but the fake laugh was uncalled for. He was giving you a compliment."

"Did you have to get his number?"

"I didn't know it was a crime to want to reconnect with someone."

"Is he your ex or did y'all just mess around back then?"

"I'm not doing this with you."

"Doing what?"

"Listening to you accuse me of something so idiotic and dealing with your jealous rage. You did the same thing a few weeks ago."

"That guy was touching you."

"He was just trying to help by tapping my shoulder to tell me that I dropped something. You might think that your actions show how you really care, but they're really your insecurities showing their true colors."

"What do I have to be insecure about? His muscles? Yeah right. That dude is probably on steroids. I know what I'm packing and you damn well know it too."

"This has nothing to do with your big ego."

"Well, I've got money now including my own car and place. What else do you want that I haven't given to you?"

"I have never complained even when you were down. When have I ever given you the impression that all I needed was your money?"

"Isn't that what all these girls out here do; look for their next meal ticket?"

"I am not like these other girls. I don't need a man to take care of me. I need a man who will cherish me, and support me emotionally and spiritually. You should know that by now."

"Do I? With your so called friends talking sh*t about me all the time, they can convince you to leave me at the drop of a dime."

"I make up my own mind, thank you very much. Plus, they don't even say anything bad about you."

"You were there the other day when we playing Monopoly. I got a get out of jail free card and Dionne made the comment that I better keep it with me at all times because you weren't going to hold me if I went back in."

"Are you serious? It was a joke! If you had a problem with it, you should have addressed it. Where is this even going?"

"You tell me."

"You started this argument!"

"Because you disrespected me! You can't be doing that in these streets."

"I was just talking to him. You can believe whatever you want. I'm not going to keep explaining myself. I'm done with this conversation. It's giving me a headache."

"So, what are you saying?"

"Until you get your issues straight, we need to take a break."

"I love you with everything in me and you're giving up on us just like that?"

"You don't think I don't love you? You're the first man who genuinely showed me love and didn't just use me for what you could get from me. David, just go. I can't do this."

"Eva."

"Don't touch me." She pushed me away from her as she went into her bedroom and closed the door. I rattled the doorknob to see that it was locked.

"Eva. Eva, open this door!" I banged my fist against the door, trying to push myself in.

"David, stop! Just leave."

"I'm not giving up on us." I could hear her crying through the door. What am I doing? This isn't me. "Baby, I'm sorry. I was way out of line and I want to make things right. Can you please open the door?"

Her sobs got more intense and it was breaking my heart knowing that I was the cause of her pain. The sounds quickly shifted to coughs and gasps, which caused me to panic.

"Eva. Are you okay?"

"I can't–breathe." She cried out.

How am I going to knock down this door? I ran my hand along the door casing to search for a key. Luckily, I found one and I was able to unlock the door. Eva was on her knees, bent over as she tried to grip the dresser.

"Okay, try to calm down. Where's your inhaler?" She pointed at the top of her dresser. I looked through every item and gap to see if I could find it, but I didn't see it.

If she dies, I'm finished. I can't live without her. I already know they're going to lock me up and throw away the key.

My eyes caught this black adidas jacket laying across the dresser. I checked the left pocket and found nothing. I did a quick prayer that it would be in the right pocket. I dug inside and pulled something out. It turned out to be the inhaler.

"I got it. Here." I helped her to a sitting position as she took puffs from the inhaler. After a couple of minutes, her heavy breathing slowed down.

"Do you want to go to the hospital?"

"No, I'll be fine."

"This is all my fault. Maybe this is a sign that I'm not good for you."

"No matter what happens between us, I want to help you find help. Therapy could work. Even if you go to only one session, it can make a difference."

"I'll go, I promise."

We'll see how it goes. I just want to be better. Not only for Eva, but for myself.

*Vote and comment. Thank you 🙏 for reading 📖!*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 531 19
(𝘯.) 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶; 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘧𝘶𝘭𝘭 LUVVMARIEE PRODUCTIONS
568K 28.4K 36
❝𝖠𝗇 𝖺𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗍 𝗋𝖾𝖽𝖾𝖿𝗂𝗇𝖾𝗌 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖿𝗎𝗍𝗎𝗋𝖾❞ ©𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒𝐁𝐘𝐊𝐀𝐘 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟎 𝗆𝗒 𝗐𝗈𝗋𝗄 # 𝟣 𝖠𝖿𝗍𝖾𝗋...
577K 33.2K 50
Tamia was raised just how her parents planned, religious, smart and ahead of the game. But every girl has a bad side. After being told what to do and...
27.3K 1.1K 9
𝗜𝗼𝗻 𝘂𝘀𝘂𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗱𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗮𝗻𝘆𝗯𝗼𝗱𝘆...