10 Things I hate About Her (1...

By edanmorez

An LGBT novel. THE ROAR OF THE CHEERING CROWD. Val Wash is one her school's best soccer players. She's char... More

1. Better Off Without
1.5 The Motorcycle
2. Player 15
3. What is Pain?
4. Shut It, Val
5. To Kill a Spider
6. To Kill a Lover
7. To Kill a Val
8. A Demon Appears
9. Ice-Cream Shoppe
10. Sister's Quarrel
11. The One Where Val Gets Embarassed
12. Batman
13. Why Val?
14. Will I Die if I Drink This?
15. Lover's Spat
16. The Devil's Hands
16.5
17. Enter the Dragon's Den
18. Two Can Play Chess
19. I Am My Sister's Keeper
20. Batman's Kiss and a Bouquet of Flowers
21. 10 Things I Hate About Val Walsh
22. The 10 Letters from Val Walsh
The First Letter
The Second Letter
The Third Letter
The Fourth Letter
The Fifth Letter
The Letter About Claire
The Seventh Letter
The Eight Letter
The Ninth Letter
The Tenth Letter
23. Loving Goodbye
24. Promposals and Tricks
25. Double Promposals
26. Sister Bonding Experiment (Failure)
Three Years Later
1. Sudden Disappearance
2. Ms. Insecure
3. My Name is 'Blank'
4. Help Me Find Her
5. Outsider

27. Good Liar

3.9K 138 57
By edanmorez

The doorbell rang, and Naomi raced down the stairs, blindly slipping gold earrings into their slits. The skirt of her pink dress fanned behind her. At the bottom, her father was standing next to her mother, a great big smile on his face. His once red hair, now a healthy dark brown, was swept back. He looked at her with proud, somewhat watery eyes. When she reached the ground floor, they stood side by side, his rough hand on her waist while her mother took a photo, and Grandma Ursula watched them from her wheelchair with a grumpy demeanor.

Oblivious to the doorbell, Naomi's father took her hand in his and gave her a little spin. There was a twinkle in his eyes as he bowed and kissed her hand. Naomi curtsied, and memories of her youth flashed through her mind. She remembered how he had carried her on his back uphill whenever her legs had grown weak.

Naomi blushed as she thought of the times Val had carried her on her back. Those, then, seemingly innocent gestures were no longer what they had appeared to be. They were a thirst for contact, a thirst to feel the other's warmth and caress their skin. A thirst to eliminate the distance between them. Naomi cleared idle thoughts from her mind and focused on her dad, who was close to tears. He embraced her tightly, pressing her cheek against his wool jacket. "You're our one and only," he murmured next to her ear.

When he released her and held her at arms' length, she said, "I'll be careful, I promise."

Ursula sighed and said, "Hunter, she'll be in the backyard all night, there's no need to get all emotional. You'll probably be watching her from the window anyway."

With his back to her, Father rolled his eyes and said, "Mother, my daughter is eighteen, and has grown to be the most beautiful young woman I've ever seen." He glanced cautiously at Naomi's mother, then cleared his throat and corrected himself. "Second most beautiful woman I've seen."

Mother smiled.

The doorbell rang again, and the family turned to it. Her father straightened his tie and said, "That must be the horrid young gentleman you'll be spending the night with. Wait till I have a word with him."

Father went outside and gently locked the door behind him. Being the curious ladies that they were, Naomi and her mother pressed their ears against the door. Grandma Ursula made a small sound of disapproval and shook her head. "Tsk."

***

As I stood in front of Naomi's door, I wondered if my tuxedo looked alright. I had rented it for the night. It had a black ducktail jacket, a pale blue vest, and a matching ribbon-like belt. In my right hand, I held a red rose.

But I had encountered a small problem. Now that I was here, waiting for Naomi, I had forgotten how to speak, although I had asked her out a million times before.

I was sure that when I saw her again, the few words I possessed that enabled me to think would vanish altogether. I would become the epitome of an empty-headed fool. With that in mind, I pressed the doorbell once more. Her father opened the door, glaring and blowing hot air out his nostrils as he hurried outside and shut the door behind him.

He was a tall, handsome guy in his mid-forties, an inch or so shorter than me. He wore a black suit, though I wasn't sure why he was formally dressed for spending the night at home. It wasn't like he was going to prom with us. 'That was....' I froze. 'Please tell me he wasn't allowed to come with us.'

He said, "Come along." And started down the driveway.

I jogged over to him, heart in my throat. Judging from the tight expression he wore, I guessed bad news was coming my way.

We walked along the sidewalk, the rose hanging limply in my hand as if it wanted to cry. It was tired of me by then and wanted to be in Naomi's hand. A cool breeze fluttered the tail of my jacket and sent a ripple through the grass. The overhead streetlamps burned a warm amber. The sky was bluish back with little wisps of clouds.

But we were silent.

The occasional hunk of a horn or slam of a door was our only interruption. He shoved his hands into his pockets, and I mimicked the gesture.

After a moment, he asked, "Do you really love her?"

"Yes."

"No. I know you love her, but do you love her, love her?"

I looked at him, somewhat puzzled. "Yes?"

"'Yes?'" he mimicked in a voice that sounded more like a slow, incompetent human being than my actual self. He continued, "That's a question, Val, not an answer. Are you sure she's the one? I don't want a few months down the road, you all change your mind, and this was all nothing more than a passing fancy. This is bigger than you two now. You've got your families involved. Soon we might have to plan your weddings and whatever ever else comes up."

"Marriage...." I scratched my chin absentmindedly. Naomi and I hadn't even talked about that. Not once. I would like to marry her, yes, but it felt a bit too early for that.

He continued, "We want you guys to be happy, but you have to show us that we can trust you to handle a mature, serious relationship or we'll have to call the whole thing off." He stopped and faced me.

I turned to him and said, "I'm not one to make false promises. But I've loved your daughter forever, sir. I can't remember a time I didn't love her. This feeling I have; this love I have for her... it's not something that rises and falls with the sun. It is a living thing that has made its home in my chest and raised its banner. It makes me cry. It makes me laugh, but most of all, it makes me who I am. I wouldn't be the Val I am today without her."

He chuckled softly and placed a hand on my shoulder. "I hate that you're taller than me, young lady."

I bent my knees, and he adjusted his tie before saying, "That's better." He turned around, and we strode towards the house. He said, "Love is a very powerful emotion, Val, and if you're not careful, it can ruin you. It can ruin both of you. So, if you're having trouble with anything, come talk to me. Good communication is key to having a proper relationship."

I nodded. The walk back felt shorter. I put my hand on the doorknob, twisted it, opened the door, and two human-like objects tumbled out of the house.

***

Naomi and her mother pressed their ears against the door. But try as they might, they couldn't hear what the two were talking about. Naomi was faintly aware of the friends waiting for her and Val in the backyard, but her father took his own sweet time to harass her date. It wasn't like the two of them had just met. He had known Val for years. He was making a show of everything for his own enjoyment, while Naomi waited with bated breath. The door gave way, and as Naomi had placed most of her weight on it; she fell. She saw flashes of the night sky, houses, trees, and the two people standing on the other side. Two pairs of black shoes. Her elbow broke her fall, slamming into the concrete porch, and a piercing pain ran the length of her arm.

Her mother fell on top of her. Naomi grunted in pain. She felt pathetic, and she would feel even worst if the person standing in front of her was Val. 'Please don't be Val.' She prayed.

Her father said, "This one is mine." She felt the added pressure of her mother leave her back, then the stranger crouched in front of her and helped her to her feet. Naomi's bare feet rested on the cold cement. Val was standing in front of her with a cocky smile on her face. Val said, "Well, I'm guessing this one is mine." She tucked stray strands of hair behind Naomi's ear.

Naomi's face warmed, but she worked through her embarrassment and said, "I must have leaned against the door by accident-"

Ursula said, "They were eavesdropping, now give me a hug, you are quite dashing tonight." Naomi looked over her shoulder and saw Ursula hold out her arms to Val.

Val arched a bemused brow but smiled as she walked Past Naomi and embraced Ursula. 'That witch.' Naomi's lips twitched. How odd. There was something in Naomi's hand... she hadn't noticed it before. Val must have placed it there while she was moving past. It was a beautiful red rose, covered in plastic. Naomi allowed herself to smile. She glanced around and saw her parents watching her with big, big smiles. She blushed again. Her mother told her dad, "I told you they were gay for each other. And they've been together for a few months now, so pay up."

Her father snorted. "You can't bet on your daughter's love life."

"We already have." Her mother held out her hand. "Don't be a sore loser."

"I knew Val was gay; I wasn't sure about Naomi, but since you are so hungry for money." Her father dipped his hand into his pocket and took out his wallet. "You can have it all if it pleases you," he muttered as he took out a few bills and placed them on her mother's palm.

"It pleases me," her mother said, placing the money in her pocket before drawing her husband in for a kiss. With a gentle laugh, she fixed her blonde hair before heading inside to take pictures with Val. Father wore a sour expression but told Naomi, "Go on in."

***

After a hundred photographs, Naomi covered Val's eyes as she led her girlfriend towards the backyard. The brick walls on either side protected them from prying eyes. "We'll be late for prom," Val whispered.

"That's okay. We can have our own prom."

Val fell quiet, contemplating whatever surprise awaited her as Naomi led her through the open gate. Val's hands grabbed the air and she leaned back as if she expected someone to jump out and prank her. Or perhaps she thought Naomi would push her into a wall or tree. Safely in the backyard, Naomi glanced at the gazebo with its' strings of small white lights that dangled like streamers in the wind. The people sitting around the table started to get up, but Naomi pressed a finger to her lips and motioned for them to sit down.

The garden was shrouded in a cloud of darkness, but the pathway to and from the gazebo was well lit. As Val got closer, she paused and sniffed the air. "I smell... pizza." A few more steps. Val paused. "And that... what is that... smells fried. Deep fried. Maybe samosas. I kind of like samosas."

Naomi dropped her hands and hugged Val's back. "Ta-dah!"

Standing in front of a a table of food were Dana, Timmy, Claire, and an actual teddy bear-Claire had said she didn't want to go to prom with just any guy. She wanted the right guy. Apparently, Mr. Teddy fit the bill. Timmy was a tall, skinny fellow with a bit of acne. He had a friendly, kind smile and wore his short blonde hair in a side part. 'He looks like a proper nerd', Naomi thought with a small smile. Timmy wiped his hand on his white pants, shook hands with Val, and they hugged briefly before clapping each other on the back.

Val acted differently when it came to Dana. She whistled and said, "Look at you. Melanin is popping tonight, ayy?" Dana smiled and spun around. The pleated skirt of her bejeweled blue dress flared and created a gentle breeze. She laughed and hugged Val, who hugged her back, and they rocked from side to side. Dana whispered something into Val's ear before they parted.

Naomi and Timmy stood awkwardly together while Val and Dana complemented each other. Oddly enough, Naomi didn't feel jealous. She knew the two of them were simply good friends. Finally, Val left Dana and went to Claire, who wore a plain black dress. Claire' makeup and hair were to die for. She could easily be going to a photoshoot after this. Val looked her up and down, shrugged, and sighed. Annoyed, Claire grabbed Val's hair, which was neatly swept to the side for once, but after Claire was done teasing it, it was a perfect mess.

Val smiled and said, "Okay... Okay." Then she ruffled Claire's hair as well. The two grabbed each other's ear and twisted it till Dana broke them apart.

Observing them from the sidelines, Timmy said, "Your friends are... lively."

Unsure of what to say, Naomi settled for, "Thanks, I think."

As Val quickly tired of Claire, she went down to where Naomi waited. A slow song from Kodaline played from the speakers attached to the side of the gazebo.

"You say you love me

You say you care

And when you're with me

My future's there."

Val bowed, and Naomi curtsied. As she was apparently in the mood for mischief, Claire waltzed down the steps and danced with her teddy bear behind them. She winked at Naomi, who chuckled softly.

Naomi and Val circled each other. Both smiling. Both studying the other. They raised their hands dramatically, pressed their forearms together, and continued to walk in a circle, Naomi holding her skirt out to the side in an elegant manner. They moved apart.

A beat passed. Then, throwing their jokes aside, Val closed the distance between them in a split second and placed a gentle arm on Naomi's waist. Naomi could feel the shape of Val's hand holding her waist. She raised her chin to gaze at Val. The girl's golden eyes glittered with excitement. Val's other hand reached for hers, and they swayed gently with their bodies pressed together to the beat of the drums and the melody of the guitar. Naomi placed her head in the crook of Val's neck, listening to Val breathe. Val lowered her head, so her cheek rested against Naomi's temple. Warmth sprouted from where their flesh met.

"Forget the violence

Forget the world

I see you smiling

I'm lost for words

We get carried away in emotion

We get lost in each other's eyes

And we forget what we regret

As we cast our fears aside."

***

Juliana left the recreational building that had been decorated for prom. A gold tiara sat on her head while she wore a pink slash slung across her shoulder. In her hand, she carried the crown and slash of her sister who had gotten prom king-at first, people voted for her as a joke, but it had become a reality.

As she walked, Juliana's dress tightened around the midsection. She found it hard to breathe and wanted to tear the damn thing off. She glanced at the parking lot. It was mostly empty except for a few teens who had left to smoke weed, or some late comers who were arriving now that things were ending.

Juliana saw her father's Mercedes parked under the shade of a young oak tree and went over to it. She sat on the hood with a loud sigh. She had never said it to anyone, but these social events took a lot out of her. She just pretended it weren't so. Unlike her hotblooded sister, she didn't pick a fight with everyone who pissed her off or rejected invitations to events simply because she didn't like the people who would be there.

Juliana reached down and played with the rose embroidered on the skirt of her dress. She looked up and saw Sophie exiting the building, looking left and right before crossing the road. Despite wearing heels and a white dress, Sophie jogged over to where Juliana was sitting. A few seconds later, she was standing by the side of the car, breathing quickly. When she caught her breath, she said, "God, why do you always disappear without saying anything?"

Juliana patted the car's hood, and Sophie lifted her legs off the ground to sit next to her. Juliana said, "If I told you before I disappeared, then it wouldn't be disappearing, would it?"

While Juliana's skin had darkened over the summer, Sophie's was pale white. Her blazing orangish-red hair was put into a messy bun. Loose curls draped her slender neck as her green eyes met Juliana's blue ones. Juliana's chest squeezed apologetically. A few months ago, she was grudging Sophie for being white. The world treated white people better. Juliana didn't imagine it; it was a fact. Yet, Juliana had been voted prom queen. Not Sophie. Did that mean anything? The only thing that made Juliana popular was she made an effort to talk to and get to know everyone. But Juliana didn't consider herself to live up to the Canadian standard of beauty. To her own self, she was attractive. She smiled. But to others....

"It's so beautiful out here." Sophie pointed to the stars that riddled the sky. "I guess Val ditched prom."

Juliana said, "It was a good move on her part. People would have just gossiped about her if she had come anyway."

Sophie gathered her knees in front of her and hugged them. Her white dress hung limply on her thighs. "Is being gay that bad?"

"I wouldn't say that it's bad. It's just different, and I think most of us struggle with our own sense of worth, so it's easy for us to put others down without trying to understand them. It's easy to hate someone you don't know."

"What about you? What do you think?"

"About what?"

"Being gay. Don't give me some psychology shit. Just tell me your honest opinion."

"Well, statistically speaking-"

Sophie playfully slapped Juliana's thigh and scoffed. "No, none of that. Be honest with me. Speak plainly."

"To thine own self be true," Juliana said, a look of wonder on her face. "To be honest, I don't really feel anyway about it. If you're gay, you're gay. If you're straight, you're straight. It's what it is."

"Hmm."

Juliana noticed that Sophie was looking at her differently.

"And what if I did this?" Sophie quickly pressed her lips against Juliana's. It lasted, maybe five seconds, but Juliana's chest squeezed. This time it wasn't with envy. It was something else.

"Would that change anything?" Sophie asked, laughter in her eyes and in her rounded cheeks as she grinned madly. "To be honest, I'm gay, Juli. I have been that way for a while; I just didn't know how to tell you."

For the first time in her life, Juliana had no witty come back. She thought of the first day she had met Sophie.

Sophie had been reading a book in the back of the library. It had been the first day of grade nine. She had worn glasses then, and her red her had been separated into two pigtails. She had dressed somewhat old-fashioned in a white polar shirt and high-waisted baggy jeans. The other girls had made fun of her, but Juliana had taken Sophie to the side and explained how she could survive with judgemental people like May criticizing her every move. Juliana had thought the way Sophie had dressed was cute, different. But people were always looking for reasons to label others as an outsider. And as Juliana had watched the look of glee that had spread across Sophie's face as she had read the book, she couldn't bear to see the girl outcasted. So, she had taken her in and made her into one of them.

She regretted that.

She should have left Sophie as she was.

Sophie asked, "Did you hear what I said?"

Juliana said, "Yeah, I think I did."

"Okay, but I'll say it again. I'm gay, and I like you. I've liked you for a long time."

Juliana hurried to say something negative about herself. She could be blunt and ignorant of others' feelings. She always needed to recharge after social events. Before she could begin, Sophie raised her hand to stop her. Sophie said, "I had planned to tell you around graduation time. You don't have to say anything, but I hope we can still be friends."

Juliana blinked, still not quite processing what she had heard. "Yeah. Obviously. We're friends for life." Juliana chuckled and smiled nervously.

Sophie smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. "You know, you have always been a real good liar."

***

End of novel.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate anyone who votes and comments.

Check out some of my other works:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 38K 55
To everyone, Alyssa Woods is known as the friendly, pretty, and tenacious captain of the soccer team. But to her, she's shy, self-conscious, and help...
31.6K 803 40
Y/n is a high school student, she is the basketball captain of their school and she is the popular girl in whole school mostly with girls because of...
117K 3.8K 32
Isabella Wilder is the epitome of clueless. From getting disgusted stares from her classmates to having her own best friend blatantly flirt with her...
700K 28.9K 36
Diana is looking forward to finally finishing high school. Stay out of trouble. Focus only on art. This is Diana's grand plan - until she is assigned...