Hunger Games: Peeta Mellark ×...

By goth018

You are the best friend of Katniss Everdeen and Gale Hawthorn. You are an orphan who was taken in by the Ever... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter: 5
Chapter: 6
Chapter: 7

Chapter: 4

301 4 1
By goth018

*your reaping day outfit above*

-Y/n- p.o.v

You wear quick to strip from your clothes and throw them into the dirty hamper. Except for your leather jacket and boots which you put atop your trunk. Looking to Your's and Katniss's bed you see the outfits her mother had laid out for you both.

Katniss's was a baby blue colored dress and Your's was a pure white dress. The dress Mrs. Everdeen chose for you had belonged to your mother, it's one of the two dresses you have from her, and the only clothing of her's you still owned.

Usually, you would never wear white or a dress seeing as your a nature-loving girl who always has mud, dirt, or tree sap on her somewhere but however, since it's your mother's and it's an occasion for which you're supposed to get fancy-ished up for, you were going to wear it.

Anyhow, might as well get this over with. Before putting on the dress though, you went over to your trunk and pulled your father's knife from the jacket before tossing said jacket into the hamper and setting the knife on the bed. Kneeling down you open the trunk and pull out a vial of scented oil to put on your skin since there was no way you would be able to bathe. The oil was a mixture of dried rose and lavender. You only ever used it occasionally, mostly when you needed a little bit of a simple solace.

Carefully opening the bottle, the aroma instantly hits your nose with it's a lovely scent.

Placing a drop on your wrists you rubbed them together before dipping your finger in and putting some on your neck and chest. Closing the vial you placed it back in the trunk.

Moving back towards the bed you slip on the dress and  could feel how light and flowy the material is, It felt surprisingly nice. You tied the little strip of string that was around your midsection making the dress to tighten into a cinched style. With the dress on, you step back into your boots and slide your father's knife into the side of the right boot.

You always made sure to keep it on your being.

The bedroom door opened revealing Katniss, wearing just a towel. You sat on the bed and turned to face the back wall as she changed after a few moments you felt the bed shift and turned back towards her. She was sitting on the bed brushing her hair with her brows pinched and mouth in a small frown.

You place a hand on her knee and give her a small smile when she looks up to try and give her some comfort. She gives a half smile back.

Patting her knee you get up and move over to the mirror hanging on the wall and pull your hair from its bun then run your fingers through it a couple of times getting all the little knots out, as well as a few pine needles.

You began to braid the sides of your hair. When you saw Mrs. Everdeen come in and start to do Katniss's hair.

You finished braiding your sides in a couple of minutes before connecting the pieces behind your head and gathering the rest of your hair and making a messy bun again.

"You girls look beautiful," Mrs. Everdeen tells you and Katniss.

You turn and give Mrs. Everdeen a small smile and quiet thanks. You wear fully ready for the reaping, glancing down at your watch you could see it was time to head out. You looked back at Mrs. Everdeen and Katniss and decided to give Mrs. Everdeen sometime with her daughter so you moved towards the door giving Mrs. Everdeen a slight squeeze on the shoulder as you passed and shut the door on your way out. Prim walked passed you, heading into the bedroom and you knew they all were probably having a moment. Not wanting to intrude you walked to the kitchen, taking the seat you had with Prim about ten minutes ago.

You sat fiddling with your watch and bracelet, it's was a nervous habit. You weren't very nervous, but you definitely felt some anxiety.

You weren't aware you had spaced out until feeling a hand on your shoulder startled you. It was Katniss.

"Ready?" she asks, squeezing you shoulder lightly.

You give her a tight smile "Always."

Getting up, Katniss surprised you with a hug. She must be really anxious, you think to yourself.

Wrapping your arms around Katniss tightly, you try to reassure her as much as you can through the hug before you both separate from each other. You look over to Mrs. Everdeen seeing her holding her youngest daughter close to her. You knew that the chance of Prim getting picked was slim, seeing as her name will only be put in once.

That helped calmed your nerves a bit.

Looking at your watch once more you saw that it was 10:10 am. You guys needed to head out now.

------------------------+timeskip+---------------------

+Y/n p.o.v+

You stay behind Katniss and Prim as you all walked to get your fingers pricked. Prim suddenly stopped and you watched Katniss crouched in front of her no doubt trying to reassure her everything would be okay. It seemed to work because soon you were all in line.

You walked with Katniss over to the group of girls your age and watched Katniss try and find Prim in the crowd. You took Katniss's had and gave it a squeeze, she did the same before letting go. Your eyes wandered around scanning for Prim as well but you didn't see her so you began looking at the peacekeepers you could see and all the faces of those around you.

You were standing closer to the end of the line at the walkway, so you could see peoples expressions, some had of fear, some were blank, and some had already started crying.

You continue to look around until you locked gazes with Gale, he gave you a curt nod, and you gently elbowed Katniss to point her gaze to his direction. You saw as he mouthed "Are you okay," to her which made her nod and get a small smile on her face. You were glad Katniss had someone besides you to make sure she was alright. The two of them made you feel calmer.

That is until a brightly dressed woman walked on stage and tapped the microphone. The reaping was beginning. The smile on your face instantly vanished.

"Welcome! Welcome, Welcome. Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor. Now, before we begin, we have a very special film brought to you all the way from the Capitol." The woman dressed into much pink said. *video up above*

"This is how we safeguard our future," the video finishes.

When the video ended the woman on stage had a huge smile on her face "I just love that!"

"Now, the time has come for us to select one courageous young man and woman, for the honor of representing District 12 in the 74th annual Hunger Games. As usual ladies first." She continued before walking over to the big bowl holding the names for the girls.

You watched as she stuck her hand in, your heartbeat began to speed up. She pulled her hand out, holding the folded piece of paper, and walked back over to the microphone. She unfolded the paper and then your heart stopped.

"Primrose Everdeen", she spoke with a smile.

"No," you think to yourself in horror. You look over at Katniss and her face is frozen with pure fear and shock. A million ideas run through both your brains, one sticking out in each. You knew from the look in Katniss's eye, what she was gonna do.

So, you quickly beat her to the punch.

You ran out to the walkway, piece keepers immediately grabbed your arms. You were fast to open your mouth though.

"Prim! Prim! I volunteer as tribute! I volunteer as tribute!" You yell out, pulling roughly from the peacekeeper's grasps.

"I-I believe we have a volunteer," the woman at the mic says in shock.

You run up to Prim, pushing past the peacekeepers in front of her, grabbing her.

"Prim go find your mom!", you tell her.

"No!", she says to you

" Prim, go find your mom!", you tell her again more sternly.

"No!", she yells at you tears streaming down her face.

" Go find your mom. I'm so sorry," you tell her.

"No! No!" She says repeatedly. Gale comes up behind her Katniss in tow, he picks Prim up causing her to scream"No!" And Katniss is quick to throw her arms around you, she has tears streaming down her face as well.

Katniss is pulled from you by a peacekeeper "No, Let me go!" She yells at him, trying to get out of his grip. Gale comes back quickly getting Katniss from the guard and he gives you an unreadable look while he pulls Katniss to her Mother and sister.

"Well! What a dramatic turn of events here in District 12!", The woman in pink says.

You begin to feel numb as four peacekeepers guide up to the stage.

"District 12's very first volunteer." She says to the crowd.

"Bring her up!" She continues this time to the guards guiding you. They turn when you get to the stage stairs. The pink lady looks at you and tells you to come to her. You walk slowly up the stairs trying to keep your breathing even. When you get to the top the woman grabs you and pushes you to the front right next to the microphone. You looked out at the crowd immediately finding the Everdeen's and Gale standing back in his line spot. Your eyes start to water at the sight of them all puffy-eyed and looking so sad.

The pink woman suddenly asks you for your name, " Y/n L/n" you tell her. Trying to keep your voice steady.

"I bet my hat, that you know Prim?", she says pointing the mic to you.

" Yes, she's like a sister", you respond.

"Well, let's give a big hand to the very first volunteer of district 12, Y/n L/n!", the lady says to the crowd, lightly clapping her hands.

You look down at your feet to fight off the tears growing in your eyes before looking back at the Everdeen's and over to Gale.

The crowd doesn't clap with the woman, she is met with total silence and instead everyone gives you the district 12 salute.

The woman glances at you for a moment but then continues to smile a wide grin.

" And now for the boys," she says walking back over to the bowl. You continue to look out at the crowd.

The woman pulls the folded piece of paper out and walks back over to the mic before opening the slip of paper.

"Peeta Mellark," she says loudly.

You glance over to the boy's side watching as they quickly evade the boy chosen.

The peacekeepers guide the boy up to the stage just as they did for you. You look at him and see he looks about your age.

You look back to the crowd and stare blankly as the woman begins to speak again.

"Well! Our tributes from district 12. Well, go on you two shake hands." She says pushing you and the boy closer to each other.

Looking at him closely a memory flashes through your mind. ~You sitting out in the rain and him seeing you from his workplace.~

Coming back to reality you meet the boy's eyes and see the look of fear on his face but he does as the woman says reaching out to shake your hand.

The woman smiles and goes back to speaking to the crowd as you drop hands

"Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favor!" she finished and with that the reaping is over and reality truly starts to set in.

You glance at the doors behind you and feel a hand grasp your shoulder pushing you towards it.

The lady guides you to a room and leaves you while she takes the boy with her. The door shuts behind her and you let out a breath you didn't know you were holding.

Suddenly, the doors to the room burst open and you are attacked with arms wrapping around your figure, you startle until you see it's Katniss and Prim. You immediately hug both of the back, you see Mrs. Everdeen over Katniss's shoulder. You break your gaze from her at the sounds of Prim crying, releasing Katniss you turn to crouch down in front of her.

You place a hand on her cheek, trying to wipe some of her tears.

"Prim, listen, don't take any extra food from them. It isn't worth putting your name in more times. Everything's gonna be okay, Gale and Katniss will get the game and you can sell cheese from your goat." You tell her.

" Just try to win it. If you can." she tries to say through her tears.

"Of course, sweetie," you say looking her in the eyes.

"And maybe I can? I am pretty smart after all." You speak again shooting a glance to Katniss.

"You can hunt, " Prim says a bit more clearly than before.

"Exactly, " you answer moving your focus back to her.

Prim looks down and you follow her gaze down to the pin you gave her in hand.

"For protection," she says handing it out to you. You gently take it from her grasp.

"Thank you", you whisper to her. You place a kiss on her forehead and pull her into your arms.

You released her as you looked up at Mrs. Everdeen, she pulls you into her arms.

" Thank you for everything," you whisper to her. She only lets out a shuddering breath.

Pulling gently from her grasp you turn to Katniss and you both immediately tackle each other in a hug again.

"Kat, I'm gonna need you to keep strong for me while I'm gone okay. Take care of your mom and sister, alright?" You say to her.

She silent for a minute only letting out quiet sniffles. " I promise," she responds. You let out a sigh and squeeze to her tighter for a moment longer.

The door abruptly opens and a guard barges in pulling Katniss away from you.

"No!" "No!" Prim yells.

"Its okay prim." You tell her as she and her family get pulled from you.

Catching eyes with Katniss, you say one more time "It's gonna be okay, I promise". And then they are gone from your sight.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Hey! I hoped you enjoyed this chapter! How is the story so far? Please don't be afraid to comment.

-Goth☠

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.9K 1.3K 29
Two years have past since the war and Katniss' life is still in ruins. With the realisation of having fake feelings towards Peeta she's missed Gale m...
8.7K 161 11
Peeta's and Katniss' life after the uprising. Do they get their happily ever after? *** "You don't see it do you?" He pauses and brushes some of my...
3.3K 163 21
What if the Hunger Games switched between Gale, Katniss, and Peeta's points of view? What if Gale found out about Coin's plan to kill Prim? What if...
32.6K 997 36
**COMPLETED** Victors. Taken... tortured... brainwashed. Rebels. Angry... fighting... ready for battle. Snow. Prideful... torturing... killing. The...