Inkway to Albreton

By FayVoss

- 24 0

There was a prince in Jasmine's bedroom. (THIS IS A FIRST DRAFT. IT'S RAW, UNREVISED AND UNEDITED.) More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four

Chapter Fourteen

By FayVoss

King Allard awoke in the early morning as usual and prepared himself for the day. His son and Princess Salina were not awake yet but there was something ominous on the air, something that had awoken the King earlier than usual. Entering the white room he glanced briefly at Albert and Salina, asleep in each other's arms, and he smiled in a fatherly way. It wasn't until he stepped outside the castle that he noticed something was very, very wrong.

Corpses bobbed up and down in the mote like buoys, little black birds all dotting the water like feathered balloons, some dragging up onto shore, rotted and grotesque. Beady little black eyes stared dead up at the King and he could not help but stammer backward at the sight of it all. The wind made waves in the mote, water lapping against the shore as the lily pads scattered away from each other. Something larger floated in the center of the mote, something King Allard couldn't quite make out in the shine of the morning sunlight. It vanished underwater as if it had been plucked from the other side and the King stepped cautiously towards the edge of the water, inching forward, boots crunching the bones of one of the smallest crows. He squinted as the thing resurfaced, and then a cloud passed overhead.

It was human. A human corpse swayed to and fro in the water, jerking every now and then as if an animal might be tearing at the bits beneath the water. King Allard could only see its bare back and even that was obscured by the corpse's scraggly, swimming hair.

"By the gods," King Allard murmured. He stepped into the water just as the cloud passed on to let the sun shine down once more.

"Stop!" Someone screamed from above. The King halted immediately, craning his neck to the sky. Three shadows fell upon him and he raised an arm to block the rest of the light invading his peripheral vision.

When the three landed, King Allard made way for them, stepping pointedly away from the water as he did so. Before him were the Dragon Lords and Enkaiein the beast, and atop the Dragon Queen was Jasmine herself. She soon climbed down the scales, hopping the final few feet to the ground. She landed with impeccable accuracy before King Allard, hunching like an athlete.

"We have made it in time," said the Dragon King, "Greetings, Allard, King of the Flatlanders."

"Uh, hi," said Jasmine. It was then King Allard looked at her face.

"Jasmine? Is that truly you?" He asked, "What happened? How did you sustain these injuries?"

"Well um," Jasmine started, but Ellindris stepped in and interrupted her.

"It is my fault entirely," said the Dragon Queen, "Please, accept my apology for injuring one of your own."

King Allard turned an inquisitive face towards Enkaiein and then the Dragon King. They both bowed their long necks, like swans drinking.

"Have you noticed an unusual cloud about?" Kurventhor asked, seeming intent on changing the subject. Jasmine was thankful for that.

"A strange cloud," said King Allard, "No. Why do you ask this?"

"Because that frog wizard guy is possessing a storm cloud," answered Jasmine.

"Yes," Enkaiein elaborated, "It would also appear he has consumed a Phoenix Heart, thus granting himself immortality. I am afraid we could not contain him on our own."

"I could not catch him," Kur said, voice rumbling with spite and self-loathing.

"Do not blame yourself," Ellindris said, nuzzling Kurventhor's throat with her snout.

"There is no one else to blame," Kur mumbled at his wife.

"I suggest," said the King, "We take this conversation inside. I must wake my son and Princess Salina. They will want to hear everything."

"Princess Salina," Jasmine said, "You mean you know about that? Mythos, I mean?"

King Allard nodded.

"Oh," said Jasmine.

The dragons and Enkaiein ducked into Castle Albreton's entrance, but Jasmine lingered outside for a moment, struck with indecision. It was a good thing too, because she stayed long enough to feel a tug on her pant leg. Spinning around she saw the cat, Lindargra's familiar, drenched and shivering, one hooked claw of its paw caught in the fabric of her pants.

"It's you!" Jasmine said, kneeling down to pick up the cat, "I thought you died!"

"Yes, well. I can't say I didn't wish for it now."

Jasmine scrunched her face. She picked up the cat by its underarms and stared into its eyes. And there was color there, one green eye and one blue, vibrant and dewy with droplets of water dripping off a tuft of fur matting its forehead and ears.

"You look like a drowned rat," Jasmine said.

The cat hung slack in her hands, staring wordless, dripping wet.

"Jasmine?" Enkaiein inquired, peeking around the entrance once he realized she hadn't followed everyone inside, "What are you waiting for?"

Jasmine twisted her torso around, which revealed to Enkaiein the cat in her grasp.

"A cat?"

"I'm a Familiar, thank you," said the cat, "Or I was until yesterday."

"Lindargra's then," Enkaiein guessed.

"You mean you two don't know each other?" Jasmine asked, looking first at Enkaiein and then back at the cat. She honestly thought everyone knew everyone in this world. At least that's the way it seemed. Especially Enkaiein seemed to always know who people were. She spun the rest of the way around so she was facing Enkaiein and put the cat down. It shook off, its fur so flat against itself so as to show portions of the pinkish skin underneath. Jasmine had to stifle her laugh, which came out of her throat as if she were clearing it and hid behind a smirk. The darn thing just looked so irritated it was funny.

"We know of each other but aren't acquainted," said the cat, walking stiffly toward the castle entrance with jerky steps. It never left one paw on the ground long enough to lean all its weight on it, which made Jasmine think of someone shrunk down walking across a stove, hopping to keep their feet from being burned.

"Cats are weird," said Jasmine but she had to admit she was glad the first thing out of the cat's mouth hadn't pertained to her burns. She wanted nothing more than to forget how disfigured she was.

Enkaiein chuckled, saying, "I would have to agree with you there, Jasmine." And when he followed after the cat inside, Jasmine jogged to catch up with the both of them.

In the main hall stood two dragons, the King and Prince of Albreton, an ink-made horse beast, a mute princess and a cat that looked more like a used mop than anything. When Jasmine stepped inside, it seemed all eyes fell on her, and those eyes included Prince Albert's. He ran to her, hair still poking out at odd angles from sleep, and took her hand in his. He stared into her eyes with the most anguished look Jasmine had ever seen on him.

"Hi," she said, voice like a mouse.

"Jasmine," breathed Prince Albert. "Your face, what happened?"

"Funny story," said Jasmine as she slipped her hand out of his, breaking eye contact, "Except not really if you think about it. But I'm fine. It doesn't hurt or anything. Ellindris healed my hands but I guess my face just has to stay this way."

Prince Albert made a choking noise that sounded like someone picking a lock. It made Jasmine want to look at him even less, but he leaned in closer, inspecting the burns. She could feel his breath on the part of her neck that was unscathed.

"Could you not do that," Jasmine said. Prince Albert looked away, backed off and shuffled a few steps backwards. When Jasmine finally looked at him, he was scratching down the edges of his hair in a compulsive sort of way.

"I'm sorry," he said, barely audible.

"Whatever," said Jasmine, "We've got bigger things to worry about."

"Indeed," piped up the cat, who was licking down its fur next to Jasmine's ankle. It shook itself like a dog, which only succeeded in spraying Jasmine and Prince Albert with droplets of chilly water. Then it pranced over to the two dragons, the King and Princess Salina. Prince Albert put a hand on Jasmine's shoulder, a decidedly non-romantic gesture far away from her clavicle. He gave a gentle squeeze, apologetic as his expression.

"Jasmine..."

"Look, stop," Jasmine said, shoving his hand away. Prince Albert dropped both hands to his sides, looking rather pathetic but also thoughtful.

"I dragged you into this whole mess and now you're hurt," he said, wringing his fingers in and out of each other, voice quiet. "It turns out the reason you're even here in the first place was because of a huge misunderstanding on my part. I was naïve, unaware of Fragmaroginog's schemes. I'm sorry." Puffing out his chest he added nobly, "I will not stand by and let you shoulder this alone, not when it's my fault you aren't safely at home, in your own world. Please, Jasmine, let me help you."

"At home," Jasmine scoffed, "In my world." She gritted her teeth together behind terse lips before she spoke again, watching Prince Albert grow ever more uncomfortable in the pause. "You have no idea what my home is like, so how do you know it's safe, first off? And you know what, I was starting to like you too, but now I see you're just a..." One catch of his eyes made anything else she was going to say dissolve right off her tongue like sugar melting in coffee. Without his fedora, he seemed unsure of what to do with his hands, hands that usually fiddled with that stupid feather he kept poking out of his hat's rim when he was anxious. Jasmine sighed. She just couldn't be angry with him. Not for real, anyway. He was trying to help. "I'm sorry too," she said. "It just hurts."

"Your burns?" Prince Albert asked, shame replaced with concern.

"Yes," Jasmine lied.

"Salina may have some salve," said Prince Albert, though it was intonated like a question. Princess Salina came up to them then, tilting her head curiously. She hooked her arm inside Albert's and smiled at Jasmine in a kind way, in a way that wasn't malicious at all. It sort of made Jasmine hate her, but only for a moment. Princess Salina tugged on Albert's arm and beckoned Jasmine to follow as well. They all made their way over to the King, Enkaiein, the cat and the Dragon Lords.

Ellindris lay with her belly all the way on the floor, shoulders aligned with her elbows, neck long and upright. Kurventhor stood over her, wings folded. Enkaiein stood neck stretched down with his head near the floor, listening to the cat alongside King Allard, who stroked his beard, eyes fixed, concentrating.

"So what's the plan?" Jasmine interrupted. King Allard turned towards her, his son and Princess Salina.

"We must devise a way to contain Fragmaroginog," said the King, "Since he is immortal."

"The problem is we have no idea how," Kur said.

"I still don't see why I can't just burn him to cinders," Ellindris chipped. Jasmine decidedly looked anywhere but at her.

"What about the mote?"

All eyes turned to Jasmine. She hadn't even realized that was out loud. The cat made a thoughtful noise.

"She has a point," said the cat, "But I fear it was Fragmaroginog himself who put the spell on the water, so it is doubtful he'd be fully contained if we trapped him there. And with Lindargra dead there is nobody on the other side capable of guarding the shore."

Jasmine flattened. Well there went that brilliant idea.

"I will freeze him," said Kurventhor, bold and unarguable.

"But will your ice last?" Enkaiein asked, tapping a hoof on the floor. "That seems so temporary a solution."

"Temporary is better than nothing," said King Allard. "Although I must admit I have no ideas about a more concrete plan."

"Magic," Jasmine said again.

"Magic," Prince Albert repeated as if it were unfathomable. But Princess Salina stepped forward, pointed at Jasmine and nodded in concordance. When she spoke, King Allard and Prince Albert had to lip-read but everyone else in the room heard her, none of them being from Kingdom Albreton.

"Jasmine is correct," said the princess, "Magic will work if the right spell is used."

"And what spell is that?" Enkaiein asked, "You have something in mind, Princess Salina?"

At that, Princess Salina turned toward Kurventhor and then looked at Jasmine with a pleading expression, one a mixture of interrogation and indecision. Whatever she was thinking, it would work, but the price would be high. It was obvious to Jasmine that Princess Salina was weighing the options. That's when Jasmine knew what she was suggesting.

"No," Jasmine said, "I can't do that. Lindargra taught me how, but I can't do that. There has to be another way." With a snide tone she added, "Unless you're volunteering."

"Volunteering for what," the King demanded.

"A spell," Jasmine said, "To mix two souls and bind them."

Ellindris twitched her wings. Kurventhor sighed deep enough to fill the room with cool air and Enkaiein sunk a little bit of himself into the floor, hooves forming pools of rich black ink. King Allard looked at his son and then back at Jasmine.

"Will anyone offer up themselves?" Asked the King, knowing the answer immediately. Nobody would. Nobody did, as expected. "Then we must think of something else."

Jasmine raised her hand awkwardly. "I'll do it," she said.

"No!" Prince Albert yelled suddenly, as if the word had just burst out of him of its own accord.

"That would not work," said Princess Salina, getting the attention of all who could hear her, "It must be a beastly spirit, something powerful. Humans will not suffice for so large an incantation."

"Oh," Jasmine said, "I guess I didn't think of that. Never mind."

"Why would you offer yourself up willingly?" Prince Albert said desperately, but Jasmine did not answer him.

"Whether or not this spell is an option," said the King, "We still need to know where the wizard is before we can do anything. Does anyone know for sure where he is headed? I was certain he would strike here next, but he has not. That means he is headed elsewhere, but where that is I have not the slightest idea."

"He's going to the swamps," said the cat, licking its arm so it could clean its face.

"Then we must hurry," said Enkaiein.

"Why? What's in the swamps that's so important?" Jasmine asked.

"Olden," replied both dragons, the cat and Enkaiein simultaneously.

"Because I totally know what that is," said Jasmine.

"Is that what you beasts call Hell?" Prince Albert asked. Enkaiein and Kurventhor exchanged a glance. It was Kur who answered.

"Not exactly."

"No man has entered the swamplands and returned," said the King.

"That is not entirely true," Enkaiein said, rising up tall again, assuming his usual form as the winged horse. "There have been a few who ventured in and returned unharmed, although most never speak of the place again once they get back."

"No matter what you call the place, we better get a move on." The cat said, now almost completely done cleaning itself. "Beyond that border are enough artifacts to allow Fragmaroginog total control of this realm, if he succeeds in collecting them. I'd rather not have my home destroyed, thank you. He's already taken my Familiar from me."

"I thought you were Lindargra's familiar," Jasmine said, "Not the other way around." The cat stared at her as if that was the dumbest remark she could have made. "Not that it matters."

"So be it," said King Allard, "I will gather my men. Albert, I will require your aide. Everyone else, it is up to you to decide whether or not you attend." He left the main hall, instructing servants to gather the troops in the courtyard as he went.

"Well I'm going," Jasmine said to break the silence. She turned an inquisitive look to Princess Salina. When the princess shook her head no, Jasmine tilted her head at Enkaiein. "Well?"

"I am afraid this is not my fight," he said, "For this is not my world."

"You're kidding," Jasmine said, "It isn't my world either, you know!"

Enkaiein seemed to slink downward.

"Please Enkaiein," said Prince Albert, "Why will you not aide us?"

"Give it a rest, human," Ellindris said. "I'm not helping either. And neither is my husband. This has nothing to do with us."

Jasmine felt her jaw go slack. After all this, after she trudged all the way through the Icy Mountains and dragged these dragons back to Albreton they were going to leave without helping anything? It was ridiculous!

"Great," said Prince Albert, "So we have no help. Thank you, mighty beasts. Your lack of involvement is much appreciated." It was the first time Jasmine had heard him say something sarcastically. It didn't suit him. Maybe she was a bad influence.

"Actually," Kur said, "I was going to help." Ellindris stared boldly at her husband as if testing his resolve. Eventually she sighed and put her head on the floor.

"Do what you want. Just make sure you come back." Jasmine could swear she saw Kur smile, but it must have been her imagination because his lips didn't move. In her peripheral vision she saw the two dragons' tails intertwine and rub together like giant snakes slithering over each other.

"Enkaiein," Kurventhor said now, not deafening the dragon's boom in his voice, "I ask you as a friend and ally; please join us in this fight." Jasmine felt Prince Albert and Princess Salina looking at her. She shrugged. Yeah, she hoped Enkaiein would help too but she honestly didn't know what to expect from the inky beast.

"Very well," said Enkaiein. "I cannot refuse a request from so true a friend."

"Thank you," Prince Albert said as he came up to Enkaiein, bowing deeply before him. "This Kingdom is in your debt. And yours too, Dragon King."

"What about mine?" Jasmine said smirking.

"Yours too," said Princess Salina.

It wasn't long before King Allard returned. He announced that the knights had been briefed and were readying themselves, advising everyone who was coming along to do likewise. They would ride to the swamps at noon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.4K 2.7K 61
|Second Book| ||First Book: Forever My......|| Newly wedded to their soulmates Xayvion and Bryce are trying to learn the in and outs to a happy marri...
132 29 16
[First place Fantasy in the Rain flower contest 2022🏅] Victoria is going to school through the woods. All of a sudden, she hears a man's voice calli...
41 0 31
While her parents were away she discovered something remarkable about her bedroom. The only problem was someone else wanted it. With a big competitio...
616 19 14
'Can i ask you a really personal question princess? It's okay if you don't want to answer it.' Dex asked. 'Sure what's your question? And I'll see wh...