The Rose's Shadow

By GramzonDragon

Beacon has fallen. Our heroes now must travel to Haven to get some answers. But everyone is scattered across... More

Chapter 1
Noncanon Halloween Special
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

Prologue

1.2K 16 14
By GramzonDragon

A/N: If you hadn't read the first book, then read it before continuing.

A figure was looking out a window with Emerald and Mercury. They watched as a Grimm emerged from a pool of black slime. The figure was writing in a notebook while examining the surrounding area

???: Very interesting... The surrounding land has pools of concentrated evil, which spawn these creatures known as Grimm to the denizens of this world.

Mercury: You are really creepy when you do that.

Emerald: How does that not bother you?

The three were interrupted by someone snapping their fingers. Emerald and Mercury left as the figure continued to write. At the center of the room is a long purple, crystal table. Four people sit at the table with seven chairs. One of them is Cinder Fall. Across from Cinder is Arthur Watts, whom s looking at his Scroll. The man to Cinder's right is Tyrian Callows. He sits in a crouch casually on his chair, resting his arms on his knees. Across from Tyrian is Hazel Rainart. His arms are crossed, and he looked asleep. Cinder sits quietly, while Mercury and Emerald move to her side. Emerald nudges Mercury out of her way so that she can be directly next to Cinder.

Watts: Yes, yes, please keep your posse in check.

Mercury grunts and makes a move toward Watts, but Emerald holds him back.

Watts: You hear that? Silence.

Hazel gives Watts an unimpressed sideways glance.

Watts: I've half a mind to thank the little girl that bested you.

Tyrian: If I were you, I'd hunt her down. (snicker) Find her and, well, she took your eye, didn't she?

Cinder only stares at Tyrian while he cackles at her. Cinder tries to speak but only manages to make quiet exhaling noises. Emerald leans in to hear her.

Watts: Pathetic. Why did you even—

Watts was interrupted by a heavy metal door being unlatched. The doors open and everyone stands just before Salem enters. She glides alongside the table with soft footsteps before reaching the head of it, jewels jangling from her hair. Salem stops, facing away from them and toward a candle and crystal display.

Salem: Watts.

Watts straightens, looking toward her.

Salem: Do you find such malignance necessary?

She gestures for all to sit down.

Watts: I apologize, ma'am. I'm not particularly fond of failure.

Watts and Salem sit simultaneously. Salem then turned to the figure standing at the window.

Salem: Please, sit.

???: Ah! Sorry, I was interested in the terrain.

The man ran to an empty chair and adjusted his red tie.

Watts: Who is this man?

Salem: He is someone who will help us. I've been told he is a tactical genius.

???: Thank you ma'am.

Salem: Now Watts, I see no reason for your cruelty towards young Cinder. She's become our Fall Maiden, destroyed Beacon Tower, and most importantly, killed dear Ozpin. So I'm curious, to what failures are you referring?

Watts: Well, the girl with the Silver Eyes.

Hazel: Yes. We've dealt with their kind before. How is it a novice was able to best one of us?

Watts: My thoughts exactly. Even without her new power, it should have been effortless.

Salem: It is because of the Maiden's power. Make no mistake, Cinder, you hold the key to our victory. But your newfound strength brings with it a crippling weakness. Which is why you will remain by my side as we continue your treatment.

Cinder is unhappy about this and lowers her head. Emerald looks at her in sympathy.

Salem: Dr. Watts, you are to take Cinder's place and meet with our informant in Mistral.

Watts: Very good.

Salem: Tyrian, I want you to continue your hunt for the Spring Maiden.

Tyrian: Gladly.

Salem: And Hazel, I'm sending you to the leader of the White Fang. Adam Taurus has arranged the meeting. The boy continues to prove loyal. Ensure that Sienna Khan feels the same.

Hazel: As you wish.

Cinder raises a finger. Emerald fails to notice this gesture for a moment.

Emerald: Oh!

Emerald leans in to hear her. Cinder rasps into her ear. Emerald straightens.

Salem: Speak, child.

Emerald: She wants to know... What about the girl?

Watts: What about her? Seems to me that this is Cinder's problem, not ours.

Cinder slams her fist onto the table and glares at Watts, who grins at her.

Salem: That's enough. Tyrian?

Tyrian: Yes, my lady?

Salem: Spring can wait. Find the girl that did this to Cinder.

Tyrian giggles elatedly and claps.

Salem: And bring her to me.

Tyrian freezes, groans disappointedly, pouts for a second, then looks back up at Salem with an acquiescent shrug.

Salem: Because of your efforts, Beacon has fallen. And Haven will be next.

Everyone rises as Tyrian snickers at Cinder and points to his left eye.

Tyrian: Eye for an eye.

Tyrian goes into an uncontrollable fit of manic laughter, while Cinder grits her teeth.

???: How the hell did this woman find you?

Tyrian: Don't you talk-

Tyrian didn't finish at a knife embedded itself into his chair. No one moved and waited to see what happened.

???: I am not of your world, I don't see why I have to address people as they wish. Besides, I purposely missed your head.

Salem: Tyrian, it's fine.

Everyone left the room except Salem and the man.

Salem: Now where is Necross?

???: He had some business to take care of.

Elsewhere

Vernde Celtin and Neo Politan were helping farmers in the field.

Neo: So Vernde, why are we helping with the farming and not hunting the Grimm with the others?

Vernde removed his gloves and wiped away the sweat off his forehead.

Vernde: Neo, sometimes it's the simple things in life you have to appreciate. Besides, farming is a lot easier than hunting Grimm.

Neo: How so?

Vernde: When farming, there's not much to worry about. But when you're hunting Grimm, you don't know if there are fifty of them in the clearing ahead.

Neo: And you are okay with Ruby going to take care of that Grimm?

Vernde: I know that Ruby, Jaune, Nora, and Ren can take care of it. I mean, it's not a Nevermore for crying out loud.

???: Hey! Can you two give us a hand over here?

Vernde: Sure! Let's go Neo, there's work to be done.

Meanwhile

Blake Belladonna rested her hands on the boats railing and stared out at the ocean. She blinks and looks over her right shoulder, somewhat startled. Two kids laugh over a joke. Blake almost smiles and turns to look back at the ocean.

???: Traveling alone?

Blake jumped and griped the hilt of Gambol Shroud. She halted her action when she saw the captain of the boat.

Captain: Now, now, no threat here. Just here to chat.

Blake hesitated before relaxing her posture with a roll of her eyes.

Blake: And why is that?

The Captain lowers his arms and then twists to lean idly onto the rail.

Captain: Well, not many people travel by boat on their own. It can be quite a lonely voyage. But I found those that do tend to have the more... interesting stories.

Blake turned away from the Captain.

Blake: Maybe it's just... better for some people to be alone.

The two kids run behind Blake laughing and she gasps again, not expecting the noise behind her. She turns and blinks at them trying to reset her calm.

Captain: Haha, maybe, but with your paranoia, I think a few friendly faces wouldn't hurt.

Blake: Who says I'm paranoid?!

Captain: No one, dear, no one. I'll leave you be.

The Captain turned and walked away, then stops.

Captain: But uh, fair warning: these trips can be awfully boring.

The Captain continues on his way and Blake stares after him. Once he's gone, she turns and looks at the ground for a few seconds before reaching up and undoing her bow.

Blake: Mmm.

She holds the ribbon out over the railing.

Blake: Won't be needing this.

Blake lets go and watches the ribbon swirl in the air once before landing on the water. She turned and walked away. As she passes inside, a hooded figure is watching her from a distance, unknown to them, another figure was watching.

???: So, he followed her as well. At least someone wants to try and help her.

Beside the ribbon on the ocean, the large scales of a sea creature are seen moving just above the surface. After they pass, the ribbon is gone. On the boat the second figure frowns.

???: I sense a disturbance...

Meanwhile

Yang Xiao Long sits on a green couch in her home on Patch. She looks at the stack of three books on her right and instead picks up the remote control to her left. With a click, the projected scene comes on, revealing a news segment from the VBC channel.

Glynda Goodwitch is shown unsuccessfully piecing together a building. Across the bottom of the screen, it reads: BEACON INACCESSIBLE.

Reporter 01: ...with no end in sight. Try as they might, the local Huntsmen and Huntresses can't seem to get a hold of the situation at Beacon Academy.

Yang clicks the remote. As the next reporter speaks, the large lettering across the screen are slowly revealed backward, from the perspective of someone facing Yang. It reads: CCT Repairs "Underway". The subheading reads: Atlas officials working on solution, but not optimistic.

Reporter 02: ...though the fail-safes have supported wireless communication within the kingdom, the loss of the CCT Tower continues to prevent contact with the outside world. Talks with Atlas officials regarding repairs have so far—

Yang clicks again, cutting off the reporter and bringing up yet another news segment. A horned anchorman speaks above the caption: Sending Citizens Home. The corner caption has the logo for VOX News.

Reporter 03: ...Vale council voted this week to continue to ban any air traffic that does not have a direct correlation with evacuation. The council has made it clear that they feel—

Yang clicks again. Her eyes widen and she sits up.

Lisa Lavender: Multiple rumors continue to circulate as to who was behind the attacks at the Vytal Festival Tournament.

The screen shows anchor Lisa Lavender and the VNN logo. The caption below her reads: WHITE FANG MEMBER, ADAM TAURUS, PRESENT DURING BEACON GRIMM ATTACK.

Lisa Lavender: While no one knows for sure, officials have confirmed that high-ranking White Fang member, Adam Taurus...

Adam's image appears on the screen at his name being spoken.

Lisa Lavender: ...was present for the attack. Any and all attempts to bring him into custody have been met with brutal force—

Yang turns the news off. She sits there holding the remote, and a door clicks open. Her father enters the home and calls out to her.

Taiyang: I'm home!

Yang sets the remote down and leans her head backward on the couch, looking up at the newcomer that way.

Yang: Hey, Dad.

Taiyang was carrying three boxes with two bags hanging from his forearms.

Taiyang: Guess what came in today!

The door shuts behind Taiyang as he walks into the living room.

Yang: What?

Taiyang: Y/N's new arm!

He walked into another room to unload, while on the couch Yang looks somewhat interested. Taiyang returns, carrying one long white box. He sets it on the coffee table in front of Yang, revealing the Kingdom of Atlas symbol on it. She looks at it and doesn't move.

Taiyang: Well?

Yang: Do... you think he'll like it?

Taiyang: I hope so, it's brand new, state of the art Atlas tech. You know, I thought I was gonna have to pull some strings, call in a few favors, but he earned this one all on his own.

Yang: Huh?

Taiyang: Before I could even talk to him, General Ironwood already had one of his top scientists working on this, for him. He wanted me to tell you him he fought admirably, and that he was sorry.

Yang looks up at her father but says nothing.

Taiyang: Well? You wanna take it to him?

Yang: Not really. I'm actually worried about him.

Taiyang: Why is that?

Yang: Whenever I go try and talk to him, he just tells me to go away. Then he just talks to himself... a lot.

???: He's talking to his inner demon.

Yang and Taiyang looked up to see Drake standing in the doorway. I his hands was a jar of a grey liquid and a coconut.

Taiyang: How did you get in here?

Yang: And what are those for?

Drake: I used a portal to get in here, and these things are for Y/N.

Taiyang: Why a coconut?

Drake: I'm gonna throw it at Y/N's head. And be glad I don't do it to you Yang.

Yang: Why me?

Drake: *sigh* You've been doing nothing but moping around while your sister is out there trying to get answers.

Drake proceeded up the stairs and threw the coconut at Y/N's head.

Y/N: OW! What the hell was that for?!

Drake: You've been moping around too long. Your girlfriend is out there most likely in danger and you are doing nothing about it.

Y/N: Well, what do you want me to do then? I lost my arm, and while I can make one out of shadows, I can only hold it for so long.

Drake: That's why I brought this.

The dragon tossed the jar at Y/N's lap. Y/N picked it up and shook the jar.

Y/N: And what is this?

Drake pulled up his sleeve and Y/N saw a metallic surface on Drake's skin.

Drake: The same thing that my arm is made of.

Y/N: That really doesn't answer my question.

Drake: A special form of Nano-tech.

Y/N: What the fuck is Nano-tech?

Taiyang: Language!

Y/N&Drake: It's part of the English language!

Drake: Anyway, Nano-tech is basically tiny machines.

Y/N: And that helps me how?

Drake: You'll get your arm back. And best part, it'll be like you never lost it.

Y/N: And if I don't want this one?

Drake: Do you really want the one Metaldick got for you?

Y/N: Hell no! And I'm not going to sit around anymore!

Drake: *smirks* Good, now let me get you set up. You need to get back into fighting shape.

A few minutes later

Y/N exited the back door as he was adjusting his old outfit. He then flexed his right hand a few times before pulling up the hood of his cloak.

Y/N: Man, it's been a while since I wore this thing.

Drake: Actually, I made a few changes to your armor.

Y/N: What changes?

Drake: Well, it's a lot lighter than before. And it's more durable.

Y/N: So, what's our first lesson?

Drake: Dodge!

Y/N didn't have any time to react as Drake punched him into a tree.

Y/N: OW! What the hell?!

Drake: You can't just let your opponent ht you around like a rag doll.

Y/N: Fair enough. But is this method really necessary?

Drake only responded with another punch while yelling "Dodge".  This time, Y/N moved out of the way and delivered a right hook to Drake's stomach. Drake didn't flinch but he smiled.

Y/N: I'm a fast learner.

Drake: Well then, let's how fast you really are...

Elsewhere

On a boat in the ocean, a certain cat Faunus caught someone watching her when alarms began to go off

???: RED ALERT!!

An alert immediately sounds. Two red lights next to a speaker pulse with the sound. The Captain and his First Mate come running out and look at the water from the upper deck, just above Blake. The Captain murmurs as the shadow falls over him.

Captain: By the gods...

The long-necked creature is revealed to be a large Sea Feilong. It has a pattern of glowing red lines along the scales of its neck, and its eyes glow yellow. The Grimm swings its head back and forth, roaring and spreading its short forearms outward.

Captain: All hands to battle stations!

First Mate: Sir, we've never fought a Grimm this big!

Captain: We've never seen something this big! But we'll give 'er a fight nonetheless!

Blake springs into action, running off the boat and into the air. She creates one of her clones to give her added upward momentum, flinging Gambol Shroud forward in its kusarigama form. Attached to the ribbon on her wrist, it embeds itself into the Grimm's neck.

Blake swings above the Grimm and shoots it in the back of its neck. It roars. Blake lands on the crow's nest while the Captain steers from the bridge.

He keeps the ship stabilized in the Grimm's wake and steps outside to get another look at it. Blake still shoots it while it arcs back into the water. The side of the ship opens up and the cannons come out.

Blake continues her assault on the sea creature, once again swinging and shooting. The ship's cannons fire but are mostly ineffective. Blake falls back onto the ship's deck, lands on her back, bounces, and quickly gets herself back onto her feet. She discovers that her left shoulder is hurt when she moves to stand.

Captain: Hold steady men, it's not done with us yet! GET THE HEAVY CANNON LOADED!!

The largest cannon on the ship rises up through a trapdoor on the deck, extends itself, and aims at the Grimm. The Grimm's dorsal fin splits apart and extra bone unfolds, revealing two wings. The Sea Feilong lets out a roar as it flies, its beating wings sending a gush of air at the ship. Blake cries out as she hangs on with her hurt left arm.

Captain: Heavy cannon, OPEN FIRE!

The heavy cannon shoots, but the Grimm easily evades it. It opens its mouth and an electric ball forms.

Blake readies to launch herself at it, but a hooded figure lands on her head and uses her as a launch pad.

Blake: Hey!

The figure grunts and the cloak falls back, revealing Sun Wukong. Midair, he activates his energy clones.

Blake: Sun?!

Sun and his clones land on the Grimm's head. The two clones pull on the topmost tendrils of the head while Sun grabs its upper lip.

Sun: Not today, pal!

When the Sea Feilong releases its electric blast, it goes harmlessly into the air, rather than at the ship.

Blake: What are you doing?!

From atop the enraged Grimm's snout, Sun answers her while holding onto the two tendrils his now-disappeared clones had grabbed.

Sun: Oh, uh, you know, just... hanging out!

The Grimm manages to get a small electrical charge around Sun and he lets go, shouting as he falls.

Sun: Whoa-oa!

Blake gasps and immediately springs into action again. She jumps onto and off the railing, using Gambol Shroud's kusarigama form on the crow's nest to swing herself around and catch Sun midair. They land on nearby rocks, with her holding him bridal style.

Sun: My hero!

Blake: You're not supposed to be here!

Sun: Yeah!? Well, it looks like you can use all the help you can get!

???: Good thing I came along then, huh?

To Blake and Sun's surprise a cloaked figure landed in front of them.

Sun: Who are you?

Captain: Huntsmen!

Sun, Blake, and the figure turned to the man who has come out onto the upper deck calling them.

Captain: If you can clip its wings and draw it out towards the bow, we could take it!

Blake turns away from the Captain to look up at Sun.

Sun: I mean, you're the one with the swords.

Blake: Ugh.

???: I'll distract it.

Sun spins his weapon back into a holstered position and runs toward the Grimm.

Sun: Now or never!

The figure launched himself off the boat and swung a red sword, which launched a fiery slash at the Grimm while Sun activates three clones and jumps into the air. The first clone springs Blake upward to the second clone, which does the same. The third clone swings her up. Sun waits, laughing and opening up his arms, but then loses his smile in confusion.

Sun: Huh?

Blake, instead of heading toward him, directs herself above him and lands on his shoulders. They sink a few feet while he grunts and Blake leaps upward off of him. High above the Sea Feilong, she begins her descent, avoiding the electric blasts it shoots at her. She runs down its right wing, slicing through the thin membrane.

Sun smirks as he waits for her on the rock she's readying to land on and catches her. The impact causes the rock surface to crack around them while he's left holding her bridal style. Blake smiles at him until he speaks.

Sun: This is the part where you say it.

Blake: Ugh.

The Grimm moves around them, causing the precarious rocky area to collapse. Blake is on the move again, leaving Sun behind.

Sun: Okay, maybe later!

???: Get your head in the game, Sun!

Sun jumps off the collapsing rock. The Sea Feilong flies after them, knocking rocks down as he goes. The Captain watches from the bridge through a spyglass before throwing a handle and increasing the boat's speed. It sails beside the destructive Grimm, keeping apace.

Sun continues to hop around, avoiding the Grimm's attacks until one more move puts him directly in front of its open mouth. Blake swings in on her ribbon and gets him out of reach. The Grimm prepares a blast to get them both in one shot when it is impaled by the bowsprit of the boat.

Captain: Fire!

The heavy cannon fires and hits the Grimm dead on. Its upper half is blasted to pieces, and it dies immediately. The Captain, the First Mate and Crew Member 02 all cheer. The cheer is upheld by the passengers on the ship who also join in with applause. On their rock, Sun celebrates while Blake smiles and lowers her head in relief.

Sun: Ha-ha! Up top!

Blake turns and glares at him. While the figure sighs and shakes his head.

Sun: Eh?

With a cry, Blake swings her arm around to slap him in the face. He rears back only for him to get smacked in the face.

A few hours later

Sun: Seriously, it was no big deal!

Sun was talking to two of the Faunus passengers making sure they were alright.

Sun: Just enjoy the rest of your trip and everything will be cool! We got this!

The two Faunus, a male with horns and a female with rabbit earsr, wave goodbye and turn away. Sun struts over to Blake.

Sun: You'd think they'd never seen a fight before.

Blake: What are you doing here, Sun?

Sun: Diggin' the new outfit, by the way! Never did like the bow.

Blake: Sun!

Sun: Geez!

Blake: Have you been following me?!

Sun: I saw you run off. The night Beacon Tower fell. Once we landed in Vale, you made sure everyone was okay. And then you just took off, without saying anything.

Blake: I had to. You wouldn't understand.

???: Would you quit arguing like an old married couple?

Blake and Sun turned to see a familiar face approach them.

Blake: Why were you following me, Rein?!

Rein: What? Can a Faunus not go to an island full of Faunuses?

Blake: ...

Sun: So Rein, what are you doing here?

Rein: Gotta keep an eye on you guys.

Blake: I just want to go home! I'm done fighting! Did Y/N tell you to come here?!

Rein: Actually, none of my team members have seen me since Beacon. As far as they know,I'm dead.

Blake: Then why don't you go to them?! 

Rein: Because I can sense the confliction within you. I'm here to make sure you don't do anything foolish. Now let's at least enjoy the rest of the trip.

Rein turned away and headed to the bow of the ship and began to meditate.

A/N

Prologue is here! I know I didn't go over Weiss, but that's because she didn't have anyone with her, so her time at home didn't change.

So, Leave a vote, comment, and your support for the story!

Ancestors Guide You.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 76 39
The story continues after the fall of Beacon as Ruby and the rest of team JNPR head to Haven Acadamy while Dan and Drago help Yang with recovery. But...
3K 60 27
The Beacon Academy fell and the group found itself divided. Krystal is on her way to Menagerie, and Night, Dragon, and Resare are in Vacuo, preparing...
10.3K 182 13
The Vytal Tournament has now started and the best teams from Remnant have come to compete. The mood is high and everyone is excited to compete and wi...
40.3K 876 15
Beacon has fallen, Ozpin is gone, and the rest of the world is perplexed on what happened to Beacon, Ruby, Janue, Nora, and Ren have set off to find...